PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Tools...Help Identify??

jones68
10-05-2023, 05:26 PM

Hello,
Anyone have a Idea what these reloading tools are for? I think I know, but want too hear what you guys think. If you know, I would also like to hear what the value is as I got these at a auction in a box with misc. Items for 5 bucks..Ha!

CastingFool
10-05-2023, 05:28 PM
The two in the lower picture look like some kind of primer seater

M-Tecs
10-05-2023, 05:28 PM
deprimer, bullet luber and primer seater.

jones68
10-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Yes, Top tool is a de-capper, middle tool is a Pope style lube pump & bottom two are also Pope style re & de-cappers. Any idea on age or values?

gunther
10-05-2023, 07:05 PM
these tools fall into the category of " find a cartridge they fit, and then find the rifle to fit the case". They look new , but they are not now, or ever were cheap. Mr Pope was in business circa WW1. Reproductions have been made and they cost as much as an original. Very fussy machine work.

jones68
10-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Top tool is fully adjustable & can be used on several different calibers for de-capping only. Middle tool is marked .309. Bottom left tool is marked 25 WCF (25-20). Bottom right tool is unmarked, but works with these calibers so far...the 38-55 WCF, 30 WCF, 30 WS, 32-40.

Shanghai Jack
10-05-2023, 10:12 PM
two capper/decapper on the bottom are different makes. I don't believe either is of the Pope era but are instead modern reproductions - one on the left by Mr Rice or Weber possibly. I think CPA makes a knockoff as well. I'd have to go look at mine in the garage to be sure. The lube pump is probably reproduction as well. Its nice for the period look at a match but a pain in the behind compared to pan lubing - but then on the other hand Harry Pope did well with it - who am I to argue. I wish someone was still making the decappers. The last decapper I bought was in the two hundred dollar range so you done well pilgrim.

jones68
10-05-2023, 11:10 PM
Thanks. I believe the one on the bottom left is also more modern due to the hex head screws attaching the wing arms. The bottom right has common screw heads and looks much older. I probably will sell some of these items as I have more modern tools that do the jobs they were intended to do much quicker. Ha! I usually don't go to auctions for guns as they almost always go way to high! This one was different as far as the ammo was concerned...I got 450 rds of 32-20 for $30, 400 rds of 44-40 for $20, 700 rds of 32-40 for $120. 1 box of misc. old shotgun reloading tools, a sear and hammer honing kit with multiple jig/fixtures & these reloading tools being discussed here for $5. Crazy. $198 out the door with buyers premium/sales tax. Then sold a few pieces out of the $5 box for $60. It was a great day.

Green Frog
10-06-2023, 12:03 PM
I’d be willing to bet a small sum that you were at the estate sale of a participant in the fine sport or Schuetzen. I’ll go out on a limb and call the re- and decapper on the lower left was made by Jerry Simmons. The one on the lower right is a faithful reproduction of the Pope (if it’s not original).

I’ve never seen a lube pump quite like the one in the middle. It is built on the general concept of Harry Pope’s design but made very differently. Likewise the Decapper at the top of the page resembles the design of the military units from the late 1800s, but not quite.

As for value, you should be able to get several times what you paid for the whole box.. for each item!

Froggie

jones68
10-06-2023, 05:01 PM
Yes, I was at a estate auction of a very well known gun smith from ND. Maybe I'll sell a few of these items to people who need them for there shooting sport of Schuetzen. Not sure what a fair price would be for them individually? I'll probably keep the bottom right one, as I can use it for my rifles. Thanks to all for your reply and help.

Green Frog
10-10-2023, 11:37 AM
Check your personal messages, please.
Froggie

Doughty
10-11-2023, 09:56 AM
The top tool is a breech seater, middle tool a luber, and the bottom two are combination de-capper and priming tools.

Green Frog
10-11-2023, 04:42 PM
The top tool is a breech seater, middle tool a luber, and the bottom two are combination de-capper and priming tools.

That is correct. Can you elaborate y giving the probable maker of each, especially the decapper on top and the bullet lube pump in the middle? The are “almost” like ones we know, but not quite... familiar tools from unfamiliar makers.
Froggie

Doughty
10-12-2023, 11:00 AM
Frog, I can't remember who may have made the seater and the luber. The two cappers are very similar to the ones made by Jerry Cleave in Squaw Valley, California, but I don't think they are. He marks his with his name, G. A. Cleave, which Jones68 probably would have noted if they were so marked.

jones68
10-12-2023, 02:28 PM

Anyone know anything about these pieces??

The cylinder looks to be a .22 conversion, as it breaks about midway to expose the loading area. Not sure what gun it fits. Probably just going to be a paperweight..Ha!

Next to it, on the left looks to be some sort of depth gauge that is adjustable and has the name "Ted" (maker ??) at the bottom of the brass shaft.

Top is some sort of powder measure, I think??

Thanks again to all.

jones68
10-12-2023, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the bottom left tool is a Simmons from the research that I've done and also comments from Mr. Frog. It is marked with the caliber 25 wcf & serialized on both the base of the shell holder, as well as the tool itself.

The one on the bottom right I believe is a Pope tool based on comments from Vall in Oregon. Thanks for your interest

Green Frog
10-17-2023, 11:07 AM
That latest picture has me flummoxed, Jone68! As per our conversation, the 22 auxiliary cylinder may be for a variety of long-forgotten British or European revolvers… maybe American but I’ve never encountered anything like it (in 22, at least!)
Those scoop and spoon devices are an even bigger mystery to me. Obviously it looks manufactured rather than cobbled together at home, but by whom and why? Maybe a fancy coke spoon from the days when the white powder could be bought at the corner pharmacy? [smilie=l:
On a serious note, I wonder whether the device at lower left could be used to measure chamber depth, specifically throat depth (very important for breech seating?)
The search continues!
Froggie

nicholst55
10-17-2023, 11:57 AM
The bottom left tool reminds me of a P.J. O'Hare sight micrometer for the M1903 Springfield. It's patterned the samw way, but I don't think it fits the Springfield rear sight. You used them by setting them at the desire sight setting, and then adjusting the sight inb a quick-and-dirty sort of way, so that you didn't have to count sight clicks or screw revolutions during a match.