PDA

View Full Version : liberty safe policy update

redriverhunter
10-05-2023, 09:17 AM
Liberty Safe has implemented consumer privacy protections regarding law enforcement compulsory requests for information, including safe combinations. These policies codify Liberty Safe’s position as an industry leader in protecting consumer privacy.

Liberty Safe will only release customer information to law enforcement agencies if all the following conditions are met:

1) A warrant, subpoena, national security letter, court order or equivalent (“compulsory process”) must be provided that is specifically issued to Liberty Safe.
2) For requests for access codes or combinations, the compulsory process must specifically require that Liberty Safe release the combination or access code for a safe identified by its serial number.
3) If these first two conditions are met, the requested customer information must already exist within our system at the time of the request. If a customer has opted out of our retention of this information, we will be unable to comply with the compulsory process.

https://www.libertysafe.com/pages/policy-for-fbi-law-enforcement-information-demands

Springfield
10-05-2023, 10:02 AM
IMHO everybody should have the combo changed after they buy their safe. I did.

MUSTANG
10-05-2023, 10:03 AM
Damage Control. Shades of Bud Light; but a better attempt to side with the customer compared to Bud Light.

As an example of why it "Waffles" on their adhering to US Constitutional Principles:

A national security letter is an administrative subpoena issued by the United States government to gather information for national security purposes. NSLs do not require prior approval from a judge.

Just a reminder of what the 4th Amendment says on the subject:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

redhawk0
10-05-2023, 10:12 AM
I think I'd dremel off the SN from the Safe...But then again, I'd likely never register it with Liberty in the first place. That is...if I had a Liberty safe.

Ithaca Gunner
10-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Would Liberty have adopted this policy if it were another safe company? Like Mustang said, it's just damage control in the shadow of the bud lite fiasco circus. Which begs the question, ''What are the policies of other safe manufacturers?''

BLAHUT
10-05-2023, 10:45 AM
Liberty Safe has implemented consumer privacy protections regarding law enforcement compulsory requests for information, including safe combinations. These policies codify Liberty Safe’s position as an industry leader in protecting consumer privacy.

Liberty Safe will only release customer information to law enforcement agencies if all the following conditions are met:

1) A warrant, subpoena, national security letter, court order or equivalent (“compulsory process”) must be provided that is specifically issued to Liberty Safe.
2) For requests for access codes or combinations, the compulsory process must specifically require that Liberty Safe release the combination or access code for a safe identified by its serial number.
3) If these first two conditions are met, the requested customer information must already exist within our system at the time of the request. If a customer has opted out of our retention of this information, we will be unable to comply with the compulsory process.

https://www.libertysafe.com/pages/policy-for-fbi-law-enforcement-information-demands

This is called a legal but cover ! Nothing more ........ This is not being done for Comsumer's

alfadan
10-05-2023, 04:20 PM
Why does the .gov even bother pretending with subpoenas or anything like that. They have people locked away in dungeons without trial for years. They obviously have nothing to fear from anybody about anything, so just cut it open.

Its not like there even needs to be anything in the safe anyway, just make it up like the rest of the circus.

Electrod47
10-05-2023, 05:13 PM
I don't have a Liberty, my safes are 1950's monster Postal Safe's with dials. But, everybody is trying to catch up to what's right these day's....I give them an A for effort. Going forward it sounds like they "corrected course".

Sig556r
10-05-2023, 05:15 PM
Whatever…they’ll do it again

Winger Ed.
10-05-2023, 05:53 PM
IMHO everybody should have the combo changed after they buy their safe. I did.

That works for a spin dial lock.

For an electronic- when the safe is sold, expect the name of the purchaser, the serial number of the lock,
and if the safe has a serial number, to be in their records.
Any one of the three items can bring it up in their data base. They will lead back to what I call the 'gu-ru'
over ride number held by the lock's maker.

Pulling the serial number decal off the lock won't help.
For those who insist on a electronic lock,
you'd have to buy a new one, swap it out and not use the original combination that was on the first one.

At the safe company, our customer service folks would get calls from commercial customers
where a combination was changed, the manager changed it & quit ,,,, whatever.
It was also common to change the combination as authorized users of the safe came and went, then they'd forget it.
There was a procedure that involved a specific contact person within the company, some secret handshakes, and a fee.
When all that jived up, our guy would call the lock maker and give them the over ride code to be able to re-set a
combination without a service call from a lock smith.

Store manager's would often call with their tale of woe, expecting an instant over ride code.
They'd go home kicking their Lunch box when told to have 'so-and-so, from their Security Dept.
or Loss Prevention Dept. call us.

ohen cepel
10-05-2023, 06:12 PM
I don't/won't have a digital "lock" as it seems they may have a back door combo in them. Doesn't matter if you reset it or not, they may well have a backdoor which is not possible on a mechanical lock. So, I'll stay old school and mechanical.

Nor, will I buy ANYTHING from "liberty" in my lifetime.

alfadan
10-05-2023, 06:28 PM
Maybe their "A" for effort will include not contributing to anti-gun candidates and organizations anymore.

hmmm...

imashooter2
10-05-2023, 07:35 PM
"We screwed you all, but we learned our lesson. Please trust us from now on. Buy Liberty Safes." :roll:

jonp
10-06-2023, 05:51 AM
Would Liberty have adopted this policy if it were another safe company? Like Mustang said, it's just damage control in the shadow of the bud lite fiasco circus. Which begs the question, ''What are the policies of other safe manufacturers?''

Rhino Safe on their front page in big letters, 1st paragraph:

Rhino Metals, Inc. has not and will never give out backup codes or combinations to anyone except the original owner with proof of purchase and verification of identity. This includes law enforcement, without a specific court order specifying that we comply to a specific case.

sukivel
10-06-2023, 07:24 AM
I prefer the answer to law enforcement…

“We cannot give you the pass code because we do not know it, as we do not retain them”

…from a manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed K
10-06-2023, 09:14 AM
My safe with electronic lock from a box store needs an internet connection for proper function. I couldn't understand why.

Ithaca Gunner
10-06-2023, 09:42 AM
My safe with electronic lock from a box store needs an internet connection for proper function. I couldn't understand why.

That's not a safe, it's another woke disaster. Mine's mechanical, and I can lock the dial with a key.

chuck40219
10-06-2023, 10:40 AM
So.. how hard is it to change a digital lock over to a spin dial lock?

chuck40219

Harter66
10-06-2023, 11:09 AM
This all comes down to the simple explanation that has existed since about a week after the first one sided latch or door bar was invented. "Locks only serve to keep honest people honest" . Kufu I probably said it as he had the design team building a better lock for his tomb . Short of 2" formed , welded , reheat treated AR550 with milled blocks of similar super steels and hardened bolts in milled sockets with overlap monkey grip door edges an inch or more deep which become impractical for a home safe unless a guy is going full 6 side double reenforced concrete bunker vault .
If the dishonest or LEO wants or needs to have access they will get it but I suspect that by the time it goes that far whether of not the safe has a pass code is irrelevant.

Legal ....... yeah ...... I think that's pretty much just white wash now after you get much past local sheriff's office.

nicholst55
10-06-2023, 11:16 AM
That works for a spin dial lock.

For an electronic- when the safe is sold, expect the name of the purchaser, the serial number of the lock,
and if the safe has a serial number, to be in their records.
Any one of the three items can bring it up in their data base. They will lead back to what I call the 'gu-ru'
over ride number held by the lock's maker.

Pulling the serial number decal off the lock won't help.
For those who insist on a electronic lock,
you'd have to buy a new one, swap it out and not use the original combination that was on the first one.

At the safe company, our customer service folks would get calls from commercial customers
where a combination was changed, the manager changed it & quit ,,,, whatever.
It was also common to change the combination as authorized users of the safe came and went, then they'd forget it.
There was a procedure that involved a specific contact person within the company, some secret handshakes, and a fee.
When all that jived up, our guy would call the lock maker and give them the over ride code to be able to re-set a
combination without a service call from a lock smith.

Store manager's would often call with their tale of woe, expecting an instant over ride code.
They'd go home kicking their Lunch box when told to have 'so-and-so, from their Security Dept.
or Loss Prevention Dept. call us.

In the Army whenever the combo was changed, it had to be recorded and filed at 'higher headquarters.' Where they frequently lost it.

Winger Ed.
10-06-2023, 01:28 PM
So.. how hard is it to change a digital lock over to a spin dial lock?

chuck40219

No big deal.
The 'footprint' of all the locks and faceplate screw mounting holes on the door are the same.

It's a little intimidating the first time you do one, but Professor youtube can walk you through it.

johnho
10-06-2023, 03:58 PM
I don't have a Liberty Safe but any safe company can be subject to this. My safe came with a digital lock that started failing. I replaced it with a dial lock, not from the safe company. It's an SG and I'm sure they have a code for getting into it too. You just can't stop Big Brother anymore.