PDA

View Full Version : Lead in the mail box.

MSD MIke
10-02-2023, 09:08 PM
So, I ordered 50lbs of lead from Rotometals and the postman managed to stuff the package in my mailbox. I don't blame him for not wanting to carry it to the porch.

Mike

cwtebay
10-02-2023, 09:15 PM
My postmistress left a bag of bismuth in our box one time and tore it off the post! She said it was the last time she tried that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pete501
10-02-2023, 11:27 PM
My mailbox door was bent almost in half from sending 50lbs boxes of lead. I didn't like our letter carrier at the time and I made sure there was a box of lead everyday for a week.

stubshaft
10-03-2023, 12:38 AM
In my neck of the woods, they don't even bother. I usually get a notice to go to the post office to pick it up.

LenH
10-03-2023, 09:25 AM
I ordered some lead once and it was 2 isotope cores and 2 ingots. The lady that delivered our mail knocked on our door and I went out to her truck.
She said "I'm not supposed to do this but you need to get this box out of my truck." I had warned her that a heavy box was on the way. BTW she backed the truck in our driveway.

MrWolf
10-03-2023, 10:20 AM
I ordered some lead once and it was 2 isotope cores and 2 ingots. The lady that delivered our mail knocked on our door and I went out to her truck.
She said "I'm not supposed to do this but you need to get this box out of my truck." I had warned her that a heavy box was on the way. BTW she backed the truck in our driveway.

Never happen out here. My mailbox is 3/4 mile away at the main road (we have a shale patchwork dirt road). They just leave it at the PO and leave the notice for me to pick it up. I had to go inside their area to get the last lead I had ordered as the lady was leary about lifting it.

super6
10-03-2023, 10:40 AM
I ordered 60lbs of range lead in ingots, The postal worker dumped it in my yard, It was two weeks before I stumbled on it! Another 60lb order and I saw the jeep pull up so I went to the truck and greeted the driver, She was happy to see me! I told her my gold had got here! She said I know a reloader when I see one! I am a reloader too!

Half Dog
10-03-2023, 11:52 AM
I thought they had to deliver the package to the front door if it doesn’t fit in a mailbox.

TNsailorman
10-03-2023, 11:53 AM
I told my mail lady to just honk her horn when I ordered something that was heavy and I would come out to her truck and get it. She is a very nice lady and I would hate to see her maybe pull a muscle trying to lift 60lbs of lead. Just me and my ways, james

Froogal
10-03-2023, 02:30 PM
I've ordered several 50 pound boxes of lead from Roto-metals. Each time I offered to come pick it up at the post office but our rural carrier always delivered it to my mail box. I do have the LARGE rural mail box. That 50 pound box fits quite nicely. Carrying it from the box to the house ain't as easy as it used to be, but I still manage.

fredj338
10-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Only the SFR box fits in mine so the postman only has to deal with about 20#.

armoredman
10-03-2023, 09:39 PM
Another reason why, when I know I have a package coming, I always leave a cooler outside with cold drinks in it for the carrier/driver. My packages always end up nice and neat on the porch in perfect condition. I even get waves from the local UPS drivers when they see me on the road. Since it's hot about 9 months of the year down here, and they don't have AC in the UPS trucks, it's just the right thing to do.

Winger Ed.
10-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Leaving a big or heavy package at the front door seems like it's more of a courtesy than one of their rules.

If your route person is one of those 90-100 pounders, expect a slip in the mail box to come get something heavy.