PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 445599 Mold

Kai
10-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Does anyone cast the lyman 445599 and load in 45 colt? What is the as cast diameter of this bullet? Thanks

Good Cheer
10-03-2023, 09:34 AM
It comes out to about .445-.446.
In 2014 I tried it in a .45 Colt single shot over a case full of black for fun, basically like shooting a Civil War carbine. Used a small thin cloth patch over the base (last) ring to hold it in the case mouth, the rest of the bullet extending up the bore.

At one point I speculated that increasing the base ring diameter to be a stop ring would allow me to load the bullets from the breach and then seat a case full of black behind it the way they did things in the 1860's. However, it made more sense just to insert a primed case (flared mouth) into the chamber, pour an even larger charge down the muzzle followed by the bullet of my choice, a heavy paper patched slug. At this point no doubt someone will say "you're gonna put your eye out kid". No, the rifle is not as dangerous as shooting a flintlock and the hammer can't fall and make it go boom while I'm loading it.
So, any how, that way I could have a black powder 45-90 carbine that's more than adequate to take down any tomato can on the North American continent and have a lot of fun doing it.

Good Cheer
10-03-2023, 09:47 AM
PS,
I've been threatening to have a second hand slightly corroded .50 caliber percussion rifle relined to shoot the various nominally .445 hollow base molds. Got the .444 sizer, three molds from Lyman, one from RCBS and a wadcutter flat point made by Challenger. No reason why a .445 bore rifle couldn't shoot smooth sided paper patched and .433 or .437 round ball as well. Could be a really nice plinker in its own rite and a very nice deer rifle than even satisfied the fish & game regulators around here. So eh, just something I've been pondering.