PDA

View Full Version : Mold ???

Dom
09-29-2023, 03:22 PM
What appears to me as an old vintage mold.Left to me along with a bunch of other molds. The bullet & center round ball mold , as close as I can measure , are .311. The inner RB mold closest to the hinge measures.358. Any ideas?? Only thing I know for sure , is that it is old. Appears to be in very usable condition.

Winger Ed.
09-29-2023, 03:41 PM
Kind of looks like something they used during the Civil War.
I think the bores were a lot bigger than what your mold is supposed to fit- unless its for a pistol of some sort.
Maybe the LeMatt that was a revolver and also had a smooth bore barrel too.
For some rifles- They loaded some cartridges, probably paper ones, with what they called 'buck & ball'.
It'd have a buckshot ball and a normal looking Lead bullet, or sometimes two buckshot balls.

The military of the day bought some preloaded cartridges, but they also bought bulk Lead
so troopers could cast some of their own when in camp for awhile.
(Probably in the same skillet they ate out of too)

Rockingkj
09-29-2023, 04:35 PM
Appears to have a sprue plate. Any discernible marks on it? Suspect the middle ball cavity has been reworked since it has that brass/bronze area. I agree likely originally a mold for Civil War era gun. Most likely a pistol.

gunther
09-29-2023, 06:00 PM
Another picture of the mold closed that shows the handles might help. These molds often had a round ball cavity and a heel bullet cavity for a specific revolver caliber. The center, cavity may be a later addition.

Dom
09-29-2023, 06:19 PM
I can find no markings any where on the mold . A couple extra pictures.

Rockingkj
09-29-2023, 07:02 PM
Quite the handy person to have added a Lyman ? Sprue plate. Old mold modified for a later need.