PDA

View Full Version : What is “lead came”?

Jtarm
09-28-2023, 03:10 PM
I saw some for sale. I gather it’s used in stained glass windows.

RayinNH
09-28-2023, 03:24 PM
You would be correct. The lead between the bits of glass.

redhawk0
09-28-2023, 03:26 PM
Yes...Lead Came is used for stained glass windows...it comes in various hardnesses.

redhawk

Sasquatch-1
09-28-2023, 03:30 PM
It is pieces of lead formed into channels that are made to fit between cut pieces of glass. Think large stain glass windows in a church. They come in different designs. there is "U" shaped that goes on the outside of the panel and there is "H" shaped that goes between the pieces. If you plan on buying some for casting, make sure it is by the pound and not by the piece. I believe it is usually pretty pure.

BK7saum
09-28-2023, 04:12 PM
Yes. it is the lead strip between the pieces of stained glass and lookes like a minature I-beam to creat a mechanical lock on the glass. It is also soft lead or at least what I have is.

Oops. tried to post when site was unavailable. I guess it finally loaded.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-28-2023, 04:15 PM
I got a box full of Lead Came from a scrapper. This was all pure lead. I've never heard of it coming in alloys of different hardness, but it surely could, I guess?
Pure Lead has a higher melting point then solder with Tin content, making for easier soldering.

fredj338
09-28-2023, 07:19 PM
My wife used to make stainglass. The came is pretty much pure lead, might be a bit of tin to hold the sharp edges but its very soft.

Chill Wills
09-29-2023, 12:26 AM
Look at what the venders offer. Came can be pure or one of many alloys. Large windows requires strong came. Don't assume it is all soft.

Sasquatch-1
09-29-2023, 08:02 AM
Just a warning. There is also Zinc came that is used around the edges to frame up panels. If you are looking for lead for casting, make sure it isn't the Zinc.

redhawk0
09-29-2023, 08:07 AM
From just one manufacture.

redhawk

ascast
09-29-2023, 08:23 AM
Yes t is not all pure lead, may contain zinc which is bad for a casting pot. pure will melt at 621 F

Jtarm
09-29-2023, 01:45 PM
From just one manufacture.

redhawk

Yeah, I read that too.

I’ll leave it for the stained glass hobbyists.

gwpercle
09-29-2023, 01:56 PM
Most of it is shapped like the letter " H " , the recesses on each side are where the stained glass goes and the "came" are soldered in place .
I have no idea why it is called "came" but it is an excellent source of what can be considered Pure Lead ... there may be a small percentage of something in it but if it is dead soft and a thumbnail easily marks it , consider it lead .
Gary

Sasquatch-1
09-30-2023, 08:06 AM
Most of it is shapped like the letter " H " , the recesses on each side are where the stained glass goes and the "came" are soldered in place .
I have no idea why it is called "came" but it is an excellent source of what can be considered Pure Lead ... there may be a small percentage of something in it but if it is dead soft and a thumbnail easily marks it , consider it lead .
Gary

If it is sold by the piece, it can get very expensive very quickly. If you can get it for scrap prices it would be great!

35 Rem
09-30-2023, 11:23 AM
I had no idea it had a specific name. I have a good size pile of it that I got for 35 cents a pound. It is obviously pure lead as it is very soft. I have probably 10 inches deep of the stuff in the bottom of a large garage size garbage can. I almost turned it down back at the time I bought it because I considered pure lead mostly worthless except for muzzle loaders but a little voice told me to get any lead I could. Glad I listened.

Jeffrey
09-30-2023, 09:27 PM
I have processed and have had analyzed hundreds of pounds of came. Some of it seems to be electroplated with tin. Some pieces that come through are steel, some few pieces are non-ferrous but not lead (zinc or possibly aluminum). These non-ferrous but not lead pieces are easy to pick out. If you are dealing with used came, it is worth while to cut solder joints off of the larger width came pieces and melt them separately. Doing this, I have gotten alloy as high as 4% tin.

fredj338
10-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Yes t is not all pure lead, may contain zinc which is bad for a casting pot. pure will melt at 621 F

Easy to check, bend it. Zinc in it, its likely breaking not bending.