PDA

View Full Version : Taco Party

Rapier
09-28-2023, 02:03 PM
Had a friend from Kansas City, Kansas that used to put on a taco party every month. His father was a doctor in the hispanic section of the city and would send him a suitcase full of real corn taco shells, hand rolled and pressed, paper thin, stacked, packed and frozen in dry ice, every month. We all bought taco tongs for folding and frying them in a pot of hot peanut grease. If you were without a holder you could go hungry. The thin shell is the real secret to a great taco. They must be potato chip thin and fresh fried.

The preperation of the toppings is standard, fresh, fine chipped up, onion, jalapeņos, tomatoes, cilantro, etc, with glock and sour cream. Salsa, home made of course, is special and should never be a version of crunchy catsup. Putting salsa through a blender is also absolutely forbidden, a hanging offense.

But for ground beef, he had a interesting method of cooking it so it had little to no grease, brown off in a big pot, pour off the grease, add 1/4" +/- water and the taco seasoning stirring constantly, boil the water off, add more water, boil off the water again, this is done under a vent hood, 3 times. The fairly dry beef is then spooned into the still hot shell with the toppings added and then the salsa. Might need to run the vent filters through the dish washer. Does not take long to figure out how much of each item fits into a single potato chip thin crispy shell.

A case of long neck, Lone Stars on ice makes the party just about right.

HWooldridge
09-28-2023, 02:33 PM
I like a little juice in the meat so I use 80/20 and pour off the grease once after browning, then add seasonings. Use a slotted spoon if you want it drier.

Fresh fried corn tortillas are pretty tasty - regardless of what else is served.

Winger Ed.
09-28-2023, 07:07 PM
Sounds good.
I've got a tortilla press, but haven't been able to make real thin ones.

I'm no fan of greasy tacos, so I brown off the meat, put it in a colander and run hot water through it.
Then put it back in a frying pan with water, seasonings & such. Once the water boils off, its done, and not greasy.