PDA

View Full Version : Reference material

Czech_too
09-27-2023, 06:42 AM
Not sure what sub-forum this should go into, so...
Looking for a comprehensive/definitive reference book(s) on Mossberg and Savage firearms. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Have reference books on some other mfg., Mauser, Marlin, Winchester ect.

georgerkahn
09-27-2023, 07:11 AM
Not sure what sub-forum this should go into, so...
Looking for a comprehensive/definitive reference book(s) on Mossberg and Savage firearms. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Have reference books on some other mfg., Mauser, Marlin, Winchester ect.

Dobré ráno! I have -- "somewhere" a book on the Mossbergs entitled, "Mossberg: More gun for the money" which was, if I recall correctly, written by a couple named Havelin (sp?) who were avid-plus collectors and sellers of both Mossberg rifles and parts. I had inherited my Strýček Vinca's Model 43 .22 -- bion, living in New York City, he used it to shoot rabbits off the 34th Street El for Teta Barbora to prepare králík na česneku!
Anyhoos -- I inherited this delightful .22 -- which I still have :) -- and it needed a few parts. I ended up actually speaking with Mrs. H. on telephone -- incredibly nice lady :) -- and bought their book. IF you can find a copy -- perhaps check out Abe's Books? -- it may be a worthy addition to your library.
Jiri (aka Geo)

high standard 40
09-27-2023, 07:50 AM
There is one of those books listed for sale on Amazon.......only one

Czech_too
09-28-2023, 11:34 AM
I've ordered the Mossberg book, thru the Mossberg Collectors Org., for $25 + shipping. Amazon price is $66.54 + !!!
https://www.mossbergcollectors.org/
Still looking for a Savage recommendation though.

RayinNH
09-28-2023, 01:08 PM
Cornell Publications has Savage reference material. Be aware these are copies of materials that are hard to come by. They do a good job although people piss and moan about the fact they are copies, all the time.
https://cornellpubs.com/product-tag/s/

fixit
09-29-2023, 01:59 PM
The only thing I find worth making noise about with copies is the opportunity for abridgement. If the copier is true to the text....no problem!

firefly1957
10-01-2023, 10:06 AM
A few years ago I bought a Stevens double barrel the owner claimed it was a model 311 ,one look and I new that was wrong it was though this group I found it was a Stevens model 315 . Not a lot out there on old savage or Stevens they stopped making the 315 in 1929 the gun has full and fuller chokes would have been a great goose gun in the day . If I ever take up turkey hunting it will be the gun I use .

Bent Ramrod
10-01-2023, 10:52 AM
The only Savage references I’m aware of are D. P. Murray’s The Ninety-Nine, Which covers only that model, and Bill West’s Savage And Stevens Rifles, which covers the output of both companies, before and after the merger.

There is a Savage subforum on the 24-Hr Campfire. They seem very knowledgeable, and if there are any other reference materials, they ought to have come up in discussion there somewhere.

Shawlerbrook
10-01-2023, 02:10 PM
There is also a Savage forum on the web.

varmintpopper
10-01-2023, 07:22 PM
check this:
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/

Good Shooting

Lindy