PDA

View Full Version : Black powder shooting

lead chucker
09-24-2023, 04:02 AM
Shooting black powder muzzleloader rifles and pistols have really got a hold of me. I love it. What i like about it is i can make every thing i need to shoot these guns. I don't have to go to a sporting goods store and buy balls, powder, or patches or any thing to enjoy this sport. You can make every thing and it works. Maybe im the od one out that takes it to a different level maybe not. Any one else do the same as i do. It is very satisfying when you can make your own stuff and it works. Just like they did in the old days.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-24-2023, 06:54 AM
Got the bug many years ago, and it hasn't gone away. First M/L was a CVA .32 cal squirrel rifle which I traded for a .54 cal Thompsen Centre Hawken. Then came 45's 50's 58's and I make patches for all.

I started making ball starters not only for me but other shooters.

https://i.imgur.com/JDVXQiuh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SY6JH8Gh.jpg

armoredman
09-24-2023, 10:29 PM
I blame LAGS...not! But he did help me well along the road. The Holy Black is a true fun calling.

lead chucker
09-25-2023, 01:13 AM
Looks like a nice collection you got there BAS. I bet there is a favorite one there that always gets to go to the range every time. Fun stuff isn't it.

BLAHUT
09-25-2023, 12:33 PM
Shooting black powder muzzleloader rifles and pistols have really got a hold of me. I love it. What i like about it is i can make every thing i need to shoot these guns. I don't have to go to a sporting goods store and buy balls, powder, or patches or any thing to enjoy this sport. You can make every thing and it works. Maybe im the od one out that takes it to a different level maybe not. Any one else do the same as i do. It is very satisfying when you can make your own stuff and it works. Just like they did in the old days.

Would love to make all my own ? Don't know how and don't know if I have the skills ??

LAGS
09-25-2023, 01:07 PM
There is only one way to find out if you have the Skills and teach yourself to know How.
Just get an inexpensive Kit.
Then ask for guidance right here on the Forum.
We will help you.
And most kits now a days that you can buy locally don't require that many tools that you probably have already.
Give it a try , and then Give it a shot..
As for making things like your own powder , shot and primers.
We can help you also.

Rockindaddy
09-25-2023, 03:10 PM
BAW: Nice post ! You have a nice selection of front stuffers. But where are the cap and ball revolvers? Wait till they bite you!!!! Keep your powder dry. By lead. It is cheap now! Scrap yards are paying $ .10 per pound.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-25-2023, 07:26 PM
BAW: Nice post ! You have a nice selection of front stuffers. But where are the cap and ball revolvers? Wait till they bite you!!!! Keep your powder dry. By lead. It is cheap now! Scrap yards are paying $ .10 per pound.

Ain't that the truth. C&B are so easy to buy. Ships right to your door!

If it wasn't for the primer shortage I wouldn't have gotten so far into BP shooting. The independence of the hobby is a big draw, but not the only one.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-25-2023, 07:33 PM
Rockindaddy,

I've had my time with C&B pistols, 11 State Championships and ten National top placements. Wore out a ROA with approx 50,000 rounds, gas cutting near cut the frame through at the cylinder gap!

BLAHUT
09-25-2023, 07:43 PM
There is only one way to find out if you have the Skills and teach yourself to know How.
Just get an inexpensive Kit.
Then ask for guidance right here on the Forum.
We will help you.
And most kits now a days that you can buy locally don't require that many tools that you probably have already.
Give it a try , and then Give it a shot..
As for making things like your own powder , shot and primers.
We can help you also.

Where do I find some of these kits ?? What are they called ??

LAGS
09-25-2023, 08:32 PM
Check your local sporting goods stores.
IMO.
The Traditions line of rifles are good enough to get started in the sport.
I have built a Traditions kits like the St. Louis Hawken .50 cal. , a .32 Crockett rifle , and have a Kentucky rifle Kit that I have to build.
You can also order them on line from several places.
They are not that hard to put together correctly.
They also function good for a starter rifle.
They also sell them fully assembled for not that much more.
I started out building Kits.
I got hooked after my first one.
Now I buy used rifles and rebuild them and build my own Custom Rifles from parts that I come by.
Go on line and look at what Dixie Gun Works has in stock.
They sell so many different rifles , pistols and kits for both.
I have a Lyman GPR kit plus an extra hunting barrel , and a Pedersolli .32 flintlock Cub rifle kit that I have to build.
I think I got both those from Dixie over a year ago.
I have to catch up on my projects.
I also just restored a TC Hawken .50 that now looks Brand New.

charlie b
09-25-2023, 09:49 PM
I agree with LAGS. The first pistol I ever purchased was a Remington C&B revolver kit (I think it was Navy Arms). Couple of files/rasps and wet/dry sandpaper. Bluing/browning stuff. It can become addicting :)

Rockingkj
09-25-2023, 09:59 PM
Yeah I started with one BP rifle and they multiply like wabbits. Same happy problem with BP pistols. Got a BP 12ga I have not gotten around to shooting. Antique, modern I like em all. Caplock, flintlocks oh my! Had turned up my nose to inlines but we have 4 different in-line targets at the State Shoot. So may go to the dark side to shoot even more.

LAGS
09-25-2023, 10:17 PM
Maybe the addictive nature of firearms is why our federal government is trying to ban all guns.

armoredman
09-25-2023, 10:33 PM
That reminds me...I need another BP pistol...:)

Rockingkj
09-25-2023, 10:34 PM
That reminds me...I need another BP pistol...:)

Who doesn’t?

LAGS
09-25-2023, 10:45 PM
Yea.
I had three .
So I built two more.
And have parts to build two more.
But I might put pistols on the back burner until I get caught up on my 10 rifles and kits I have to get started on.

Gtrubicon
09-25-2023, 11:30 PM
Yea.
I had three .
So I built two more.
And have parts to build two more.
But I might put pistols on the back burner until I get caught up on my 10 rifles and kits I have to get started on.
That’s a good problem to have!

LAGS
09-26-2023, 12:29 AM
That 10 rifles are muzzleloaders.
I have at least 10 smokeless rifles that I will rebuild, or build customs out of them.
Thank goodness I am down to 5 smokeless handguns that could use a little work.
As you can see,
Now is a good time to be retired so I have more time to play with my toys.

lead chucker
09-26-2023, 02:29 AM
I ran around 50 rounds through my 54 TC after work today. With all the stress life can bring shooting these guns gives me a calming affect. .When i got home i cleaned my gun had dinner and took an old bed sheet and cut it into cleaning patches . Life is good.

lead chucker
09-26-2023, 02:42 AM
I got it down where i can load the gun in 15 seconds but that's with every thing set out on the bench ready to go. It doesn't take long to shoot a bunch. I spend more time aiming at the target than it takes me to load. My eyes Arnt like they used to be. Its so relaxing and fun.

triggerhappy243
09-30-2023, 02:02 PM
maybe the addictive nature of firearms is why our federal government is trying to ban all guns.

the govt. Wants to ban firearms ownership, cuz they are planning to do something they would get shot trying. Plain and simple/

michael.birdsley
10-01-2023, 02:29 AM
i definitely keep getting the itch to buy a black powder revolver. I’d also would like to put together a kit M/L. one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lead chucker
10-01-2023, 03:51 AM
Well then poop or get off the pot and do it this stuff isn't going to get any cheaper in the near future. It is so much fun. The only problem is once you get hooked on it your are dun for and will have a list of new guns you want. Sorry not sorry its just the way it is. Happened to me Im looking for a couple new guns right now.

Sasquatch-1
10-01-2023, 06:16 AM
i definitely keep getting the itch to buy a black powder revolver. I’d also would like to put together a kit M/L. one of these days

I had 2 1851's. Couldn't stand cleaning them. Gave one to my oldest son and the other to my youngest daughter. Now I have a couple of Flintlock pistols. Easier to load and easier to clean. And although I have a couple thousand caps, I don't have to worry about using them up.

HamGunner
10-01-2023, 02:39 PM
I had 2 1851's. Couldn't stand cleaning them. Gave one to my oldest son and the other to my youngest daughter. Now I have a couple of Flintlock pistols. Easier to load and easier to clean. And although I have a couple thousand caps, I don't have to worry about using them up.

I waited way too long to get hooked on Black shooting, I am now 71. Done a little over the years shooting other's rifles, but just never got around to getting anything for myself. Well, one day, a buddy talked me into trading something or the other for his little CVA .32 cal. Squirrel carbine that he had put together as a kit. Got hooked.

Then I decided to get a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1999 model and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1981 model, and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1975 model. All gotten slightly used or new safe queens when none could be found new, due to Covid shutting down Italy production. Ended up slicking them all up to my liking and gave two of the better ones to both my son and a hunting buddy's son. Far too much cleaning to shoot three at once anyway, I thought. And I always broke them completely down for cleaning, so it was a chore.

Well, I decided to start making my own powder, caps, lubed wads, etc. and of course I was already casting the ball. Shortly thereafter, Hodgdon closed down Goex, so I was sure glad I had already made good headway into making decent enough Black and caps, thanks to all the help on the Making your own Black Powder thread. It was a lot of work, but i enjoy it a bunch.

Fast forward a year or two and here I am, still with the Squirrel rifle and now three revolvers again. Got a really nice in display box, (non-authentic) nickel plated Pietta Confederate 1851 Navy chambered in .44 cal., and along with my original .36 cal. Pietta 1851 Navy, I just recently got a 3rd Generation Colt Signature Series .36 cal. 1851 Navy with square back nickel plated trigger guard and grip frame. The Colt is assembled in the US using special ordered Italian parts. I think likely Uberty as the cylinder takes Uberty nipples and much of the rest of it is not exactly the same as the Pietta models.

So there I am, definitely hooked on Black and still spending half my evenings cleaning Black Powder fouling out of my guns. :)

Most of my center fire guns are either still in my safe or hanging on the wall looking so down and neglected. Clean, but neglected.

LAGS
10-01-2023, 03:42 PM
I turn 70 in a couple weeks.
I started shooting BP rifles I built from kits when I was 16.
Thru the years I collected and shot many center-fire guns.
But like my grandfather did, who was a gunsmith also , I went back to building and shooting almost all BP guns once I retired.
I still have all my CF guns.
But I just prefer the BP guns and all the things that go with it like making my own powder and primers.

Sasquatch-1
10-02-2023, 06:46 AM
Then I decided to get a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1999 model and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1981 model, and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1975 model. All gotten slightly used or new safe queens when none could be found new, due to Covid shutting down Italy production. Ended up slicking them all up to my liking and gave two of the better ones to both my son and a hunting buddy's son. Far too much cleaning to shoot three at once anyway, I thought. And I always broke them completely down for cleaning, so it was a chore.

There for a minute I thought I was talking with "Josey Wales".

indian joe
10-02-2023, 10:12 PM

I have a 51 and a pocket model - only clean barrel and cylinder until they done (each) about 200rounds - squirt some oil in the innards to keep em ok - had the 51 over twenty years - get some black gunk on a full pull down but never seen sign of rust or corrosion inside em. The 51 has had a couple sets of nipples, hand spring, trigger/bolt spring. Its an ASM - was a good gun when I got it and been tuned by someone that knew their stuff.