PDA

View Full Version : Double action/single action H&K .45

Battis
09-23-2023, 10:43 AM
I brought the H&K .45 Compact to the range. It does not like cast bullets lubed with Lee Alox, but it loves factory ammo and coated cast bullets.
I really have to work on that first DA trigger pull. I kept decocking to DA for practice. I was staging the trigger - a little at a time - but that does not work. I have to just pull all the way through. Looks like dry firing with snap caps is the answer. SA is fine.
Great gun. I also brought the Rock Island 1911. Too big to carry (for me) but also a great gun.

billmc2
09-25-2023, 02:54 AM
I bought the full size HK45 back in February, but I got the DA LEM version. In what I call full double action (the slide normally precocks the hammer, so its not the full pull), mine was very gritty and heavy. Not being gunsmith qualified I reverted to the snap cap method of polishing. It took me quite some time but I'm glad I did it. Now there isn't any grit at all and it is lighter than original (but its still a DA pull). My reloads have all been powder coated. So far I haven't had any issues. Good Luck with yours.

FergusonTO35
09-26-2023, 12:56 PM
A new Walther PPS for under $300 is tempting me, but it has true poly rifling like HK and everyone says they won't eat cast unless PC'd. All my other guns eat sized and lubed slugs no problem so that would be a pain for just one gun.

wilecoyote
09-26-2023, 05:47 PM
A new Walther PPS for under $300 is tempting me, but it has true poly rifling like HK and everyone says they won't eat cast unless PC'd. All my other guns eat sized and lubed slugs no problem so that would be a pain for just one gun.

Sir, a few months ago I gave away my HK45. I cast TL Lee 230grs. no PC.
Maybe I'm such a lousy shooter that I didn't realize that he shot badly, but with my casts it wasn't worse than with FMJ, with which he hit where I aimed.
I accept being told that aesthetically it look like a brick, so much so that I couldn't look at it, but the poly ate and digested everything.
if I liked Walthers, (but I also got rid of my post-war 7.65 PP), and if I had 300 to play with, well...you understand me :p

Battis
09-27-2023, 10:54 AM
I bought some factory ammo and fired 50 or so rounds, and it was flawless. I also bought some snap caps to practice the DA. The Rock Island 1911 doesn't mind the cast with Lee Alox at all. I'm experimenting with the different backstraps that came with the gun - so far, not much difference between Small and Medium.

FergusonTO35
10-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Sir, a few months ago I gave away my HK45. I cast TL Lee 230grs. no PC.
Maybe I'm such a lousy shooter that I didn't realize that he shot badly, but with my casts it wasn't worse than with FMJ, with which he hit where I aimed.
I accept being told that aesthetically it look like a brick, so much so that I couldn't look at it, but the poly ate and digested everything.
if I liked Walthers, (but I also got rid of my post-war 7.65 PP), and if I had 300 to play with, well...you understand me :p

Thanks. I looked at the design of the PPS and turns out to be mechanically a Glock copy and the trigger pull is pretty lousy. I'm sure it's a good gun but not the same as getting a PPQ for $300.00.

wilecoyote
10-02-2023, 10:39 PM
HK was the only semiauto I fed almost exclusively cast.
I did it to save money, given the number of ammo expected for a qualification course.
the impression that left me, especially its polygonal barrel, is that the alloy with which I happened to cast the 230s played a decisive role in the absence of leading and in the shooting results.
this not due to my advanced (?) researches but to some fortunate combination between charge, alloy, and bullet sizing.
It wouldn't surprise me that the negative opinion usually regarding the cast/polygonal combos could have originated from a certain hastiness in evaluating the best alloy, lube and bullet sizing for each individual poly barrel.