PDA

View Full Version : Odd day on the range

metricmonkeywrench
09-22-2023, 11:02 PM
The stars aligned, a day off from work, no honey-do’s that couldn’t keep nothing broke down in the house or vehicles and the weather was real nice. Out of the gate was some .45 rounds to go across the chrono which went fine but my Springer 1911 tosses brass everywhere. After the chrono I moved onto the target at 10yards but could not settle down and get a good group going. Tired of chasing 45 brass (I eventually found them all) I moved on to my M&P9 three boxes later groups had somewhat improved but still like a bit more spread out than usual. I only meant to fire 2 boxes but the second box leaded up the barrel a bit so I fired off a box of plated to blow it out. But still couldn’t settle down.

Redemption for the day came when I pulled out the trusty plain Jane S&W 10-6, the groups came back big time in the first 2 cylinders firing single action and I was motivated to move on and fire the remainder of that box and the next box all double action-groups were way better.

Ever had one of those days?

Winger Ed.
09-22-2023, 11:58 PM
Tired of chasing 45 brass (I eventually found them all)

The worst day at the range is better than the best day at work.

Years ago, we had some property in NE Texas I called the 'Poison Ivy Farm and Tick Ranch'.
My Dad wasn't the best student in his Physical Science Class....
I realized that one day when I was crawling around on our range there picking up .45 brass.
He told me, "Next time we come up here, you need to bring a brass magnet".

georgerkahn
09-23-2023, 08:51 AM
The stars aligned, a day off from work, no honey-do’s that couldn’t keep nothing broke down in the house or vehicles and the weather was real nice. Out of the gate was some .45 rounds to go across the chrono which went fine but my Springer 1911 tosses brass everywhere. After the chrono I moved onto the target at 10yards but could not settle down and get a good group going. Tired of chasing 45 brass (I eventually found them all) I moved on to my M&P9 three boxes later groups had somewhat improved but still like a bit more spread out than usual. I only meant to fire 2 boxes but the second box leaded up the barrel a bit so I fired off a box of plated to blow it out. But still couldn’t settle down.

Redemption for the day came when I pulled out the trusty plain Jane S&W 10-6, the groups came back big time in the first 2 cylinders firing single action and I was motivated to move on and fire the remainder of that box and the next box all double action-groups were way better.

Ever had one of those days?

If my brain cells connect I’ll drop some pix of the targets tomorrow

You tale is ever soooo similar to many I've had. Around the 4th of July I had but a couple of hours, and rushed to range forgetting a fer items I normally take. But, what the hey -- trigger time. It was like magic -- each bullet landed (for me ;)) pretty close to where I wished it to print. Wowsers, was I psyched for a return/next trip. Less than a week later I returned -- same firearms (plus a pocket pistol I wanted to check for reliability (.22)) -- and it seemed no matter what I did I could not shrink groups tighter than, say, the perimeter of a paper plate! Then -- it IS a challenge for me with one leg not working too well, and my need for two canes to walk -- my brass "group" was like a thirty foot circle! All over the place! I gave up searching down -- the ground must've gobbled them -- being down 11 cases! Most lost were .30 carbine, but a few 10mm auto and .38 S&W Special are still there???
(NEXT trip I took two revolvers and a .22 semi -- all the re-loadable brass came home with me :)!)

Texas by God
09-23-2023, 10:15 AM
My S&W m10 bails me out as well a lot of times.
They are just so SHOOTABLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrWolf
09-23-2023, 11:16 AM
The worst day at the range is better than the best day at work.

Years ago, we had some property in NE Texas I called the 'Poison Ivy Farm and Tick Ranch'.
My Dad wasn't the best student in his Physical Science Class....
I realized that one day when I was crawling around on our range there picking up .45 brass.
He told me, "Next time we come up here, you need to bring a brass magnet".

He was probably talking about Ron:Fire: