PDA

View Full Version : Lee 454-252 SWC vs Lee 452-252 SWC

Lead Zeppelin
09-22-2023, 11:08 AM
Is there any diameter difference between these two molds? I specifically am interested if the 454-252 mold is actually .454 and not .452.

Intended for an early 20th century Colt.

Thanks!

StrawHat
09-24-2023, 07:47 AM
If you want a mold to cast a specific diameter boolit from a specific alloy, order from a custom maker who will guarantee the result. Lee is a good mold, but the often need adjustments to work properly and cast the needed size. Some of this work is easy, some is more intensive.

There is a reason the Lee mold in not expensive.

Kevin

gwpercle
09-24-2023, 08:53 AM
Lee as cast diameters are sorta like buying a box of chocolates ... you never know exactly what you gonna get until you cast and measure the slug .
To make it larger you can " Beagle" the mould , which isn't hard ... but I don't know if you could get the diameter you want by "Beagling"
Lee no longer makes a 454-252-SWC ... they show only 452-252-SWC so be careful what you order / buy .

As StrawHat suggests , moulds from custom makers are more apt to be the diameter that is on the mould . I can attest NOE moulds arre true to diameter , the number on the mould is going to be the diameter of your cast boolit .

Good luck in your QuesT :drinks:
Gary

Dusty Bannister
09-24-2023, 09:21 AM
It is possible that the mold is from an old Group Buy and that is why the third digit is less distinct. There is a listing that shows "Closed Group Buys" that you could search individual items but that is going to be pretty labor intensive.

gwpercle
09-26-2023, 07:41 PM
To answer your question , a Lee mould marked 454-252-SWC should ... repeat should ... cast a boolit .454" in diam. or a little larger like .4545" .

The 452-252-SWC should cast a boolit .452" or just a little larger say .4525"

But with Lee there are no guarantees as to what that exact diameter will be , It's sort of a Crap-Shoot as to what the actual as cast boolit is going to measure .
You Rolls the dice , sometimes you win , sometimes you loose !
Gary

1hole
09-26-2023, 09:16 PM
No matter who made the mold, the finished diameter of a cast bullet is affected by the alloy.

In pursuit of benchrest handgun accuracy I used to chase specific diameters of large and fast cast bullets but I finally realized that handguns are not bench guns nor are cast bullets anywhere close to BR grade projectiles. And, after a lot of range testing, I learned that within reason (couple thou) the diameters were basically pointless anyway; there are more important things about cast bullets that actually matter.

Lead Zeppelin
10-05-2023, 10:43 AM
I won an eBay auction on a 454-252 SWC mold and the bullet does drop at .454. Used wheel weights no pure lead strip weights.