PDA

View Full Version : No 32 ACP at Sportsman's Warehouse?

rintinglen
09-22-2023, 08:46 AM
We just had a new store open in Fredericksburg, in the Old Gander Mountain site. I ducked in to take a peek and see what they had. There was a great selection of new Firearms, including at least 3 Beretta 32's, and a used Ruger .327, but there were no 32's of any flavor on the shelfs. They had plenty of 9mm, 380, 44 Magnums, and 45s of both Auto and Revolver persuasion. They had a healthy variety of rimfire ammo, including 17 HMR, and a lot of rifle ammo--though if you are one of those who climbed onto the Short magnum craze a few years back I hope you saved your brass.

But despite the well lined shelves, there were no 32's and no 25's.

Bigslug
09-22-2023, 10:33 AM
I'm going to coin the phrase here: If it isn't nine, it's in decline. While there's certainly enough demand for the other rounds you list to justify stocking them, since the 9x19 has been widely accepted as "enough gun" and can be had in things that are almost true pocket, many folks have little reason to look elsewhere for a handgun - big or small. If you look at Sportsman's Warehouse's price tags that list the per-round price, they're selling lead round nose .38 Specials for over double what they're asking for 9mm FMJ - - such is the beauty of production quantity reducing production cost.

Even in the days of sharper-kicking blowbacks, the .32 was in decline because the same guns could usually be had in .380, and "bigger is better" ruled the mindset. With the the current run of light-kicking, locked-breech, recoil-operated .380's, the .32 doesn't have a chance - to the point of almost nobody making guns for it anymore.

With that reality, I wouldn't count on S.W. or any big box chain store to commit to ordering pallets of ammo to stock multiple locations with a non-seller. Your choices will be to ask the S.W. folks if they can order it in special for you, or stick to the Mom & Pop Shops. And you should get ready for the per-round cost to sting a little.

rintinglen
09-22-2023, 10:50 AM
I expect that you're right, Big Slug. It just galls me that they were selling guns without selling ammunition for them. When I pay back the house for my summer gun purchases, I'll order a case or two and call it good. Just wish the little buggers weren't so close in appearance to the myriad of 9 mm Luger cases that litter the range, so it would be easier to retrieve them. I cast for and reload them, when I can find them.

charlie b
09-22-2023, 04:30 PM
Yep, I was shocked when I finally saw some .357 ammo on the shelf. And .45acp isn't much better. 9MAK went from being everywhere to being almost extinct. Same with 7.62x25. Glad I don't shoot them much.

Rifle ammo is almost as bad. Plenty of .223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51 but everything else is kinda scattered, in availability and price.

And, yes, since COVID the idea that a store would sell a gun and ammo at the same time is gone.

376Steyr
09-22-2023, 05:40 PM
Be glad you didn't find any on the shelf. You probably would have had a stroke over the price. I just checked my favorite online ammo place. Low price of $0.41 per round for Prvi Partizan FMJ, $1.50 per round for super duper Speer Gold Dot.

Gray Fox
09-22-2023, 06:39 PM
It's amazing what ends up on a shelf sometimes. A while back I was at a local Walmart that I seldom visit and looked at their no ammo department. There on the shelf which was almost bare, were three boxes of Rem .222 Remington. I don't have a gun in that caliber, but almost bought all of it just in case someone I know might need it.

Ron111
09-24-2023, 11:44 PM
I was at Sportsman's in Portland, OR today and they have .32 ACP and 32 S&W. No 38spl though, which was what I was looking for. They also had more 380 ACP than I've seen in decades, at prices that made me cry.

Green Frog
09-25-2023, 02:12 PM
Oddly enough, about the last time I saw any 32 pistol ammo on the shelf of a GS it was wadcutter ammo (from S&B?) probably intended for some Euro Target pistols. I’m guessing they’re just stocking about anything they can find to sell.

FergusonTO35
09-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Order online for 75 cents a shot or roll your own are the only realistic options these days. If I didn't reload I wouldn't own my two Kel-Tecs.

gwpercle
09-25-2023, 05:11 PM
"No ...you fill in the blank ... on the dealers shelf !"

The reason I reload and cast boolits ... they don't want to manufacture it ... the dealer doesn't want to stock it ... the cost is way too expensive to order on-line ...

Whatever their excuse ... gwpercle's ammo production facility is always in service ,
the production line working OT cranking out any caliber I need ...

Casting Boolits and reloading your own ammo doesn't have a thing to do with saving any money , that's Horse Puckey , it has everything to do with Having Ammo in any , all and every caliber I desire ! Think About It

I just love it when a plan comes together and my plan to always have plenty ammo is working !
Gary

Dom
09-25-2023, 05:45 PM
Wow.. I've got an old box of Remington brand 32 ACP. Total 34 rounds with a few empty brass. I'd sell them for $10. Problem is , it's illegal to ship them thru the mail.

FergusonTO35
09-26-2023, 12:54 PM
Wow.. I've got an old box of Remington brand 32 ACP. Total 34 rounds with a few empty brass. I'd sell them for $10. Problem is , it's illegal to ship them thru the mail.

I might be interested. You can ship them UPS (not U.S. Postal Service) ground like anything else, hazmat doesn't apply to loaded ammo last time I checked.