PDA

View Full Version : Comparing wet tumblers.

cwlongshot
09-22-2023, 05:00 AM
https://youtu.be/CwzHCB3Dayo?si=qdyDgLRS6hiq6rBv

Amazon running a sale right now little over $80 for the light version. I've been waiting for a while I've seen it for $69 years past but never grabbed one. Now it's 80 bucks but still a pretty good deal. It is smaller than I expected it to be but it's still a very good size for just a small batch of brass. I love the big one, but I find it can be wasteful if you just have a couple of boxes of shells you want to wash. I hope you enjoy. God bless CW.

Sasquatch-1
09-22-2023, 07:22 AM
Build your own. With a power supply, windshield wiper motor, skate wheels, 1/4" all thread, some 4" PVC sewer pipe and a few other items you can build one a lot cheaper. Watch a few videos. I did it. I made it with a wood frame (I have no idea how to weld).

georgerkahn
09-22-2023, 07:31 AM
Maybe I'm missing sum'thin -- common for me ;) -- and I have two (the slow- and the high-speed) Thumler's Tumblers. Re the high-speed model, my limitation has always been maximum number of cases I could put in it without doing eventual damage (from weight) to motor, bearings, etc.. BUT, I have done as few as 20 cases in this same unit! I generally follow the same procedure: I have a large plastic jug filled with distilled water Cranberry Juice had come in, in which I add some Dawn and Lem'n-Shine. I put however many cases I need to clean in the empty tumbler; add the stainless steel pins (full amount) and then add the mix from jug to roughly 1/4" to 1/2" above the level of the pins+cases. Affix the lid, and tumble away...
Again, my "wish" has on occasion been for a LARGER capacity tumbler -- perhaps just "me".
On the other hand -- regardless of the "toy" -- if you have a liking for it... I've ALWAYS said, "BUY IT!!!" :) :) :)
Enjoy -- perhaps after you receive and use it you may post an update?
geo

ebb
09-22-2023, 08:12 AM
Rebel 17

steveu
09-22-2023, 08:42 AM
I am using a rebel barrel on my thumler’s low speed. If you get a rebel, make sure to get the knob for the barrel lid nuts.

ioon44
09-22-2023, 09:08 AM
I am still using my 40+ year old Tumbler model B, works great for my needs.

cwlongshot
09-22-2023, 01:17 PM
Thumblers Tumblers are awesome!! I have one of there vibratory bought back in the '80's its out lasted a Lyman and a Midway!!!

CW

Kenstone
09-22-2023, 01:38 PM
I initially bought the big guy but found that I had to collect cases from several range trips to justify running it.
I would rather have the cases "in process" than sitting/waiting for enough for a tumbler run, so I searched for and found a small hobby type rock tumbler on ebay ($25) to use:
So far it has worked out using the pins from the big FART.
jmo,
EDIT: found it at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxx-Explore-Rock-Tumbler-Kit-Durable-Gem-Polisher-Children-Teens-Adults-Seniors-8/460026892?from=/search

FYI: I have to place a board under the front to tilt the drum to put more pressure on the drive wheel.
just sayin',

gwpercle
09-22-2023, 07:00 PM
I will have to agree with my wife ... Bigger is better than small .

I've never wished for a smaller tumbler , wet or dry .

And if you going to spend money ... get something from Thumbler's Tumblers ...
I have a 50 year old rock polishing Model B , converted to dry media case polisher ...then used as wet case polisher . Replaced drive belts a few times , and that bad boy just keeps on running . I polished a lot of rocks , running 24/7 for weeks at a time and then used as case polisher both wet and dry , lots of use ...
The Thumbler Model B was worth every penny !
Gary

oldhenry
09-25-2023, 05:59 PM
I have a Lortone #12 that I bought from Paul Jones in the early '80's. It was designed as a rock polisher & is stout. I thought they were expensive then & almost 4 times more expensive now. However: it is one of the best investments I've ever made. I think I paid $42.00 for it at a time when I bought several 4 cavity SAECO (pre Redding) molds from him for around the same price ($42.00). I wet tumble only now.

Mr.doug
10-03-2023, 03:41 PM
I second the lortone, I’ve had it for only 5 years works excellent and quite. I use ceramic media. 45-90 to
40-65 will fit 60 cases and it not even half full. 2 hours all bp residue is gone.

abunaitoo
10-04-2023, 02:51 PM
I have a two drum rock tumbler a friend gave me years ago.
I think it's a Lortone.
Never had any problems with it.
Motor get to hot for my liking, so I put a small fan on it to suck air through it.