PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo Hunting?

DonMountain
09-21-2023, 12:42 PM
Here in mid-Missouri we are having a problem with armadillos digging up everything and getting jammed in farm machinery when cutting hay, and combining. I keep a 20 gauge shotgun by the door loaded with 3/4 ounce number 6's for the squirrel problem in our pecan trees in the yard and eating all the wiring out of our cars. So, my question is, what does it take to kill these armadillos, usually at a close range? Will the shotgun do it? Or will I have to resort to my deer rifle? (45-70 with 300 grain RCBS cast projectiles)

steveu
09-21-2023, 12:51 PM
I use my .25 cal air rifle, drops them dead!

Winger Ed.
09-21-2023, 01:02 PM
I should be ashamed of myself for laughing at that.

They look like a armor plated rat, but their shell is really more like a stiff leather
I'd think #6 pellets at fairly close range would do fine.
If not, switch over to buckshot or slugs.
You'll find out for sure what works for you with the first one ya hit.

A problem they have with them here is live stock can trip in their holes/burrows and break their leg.

Awhile back, a friend of a friend bought a weekender house out of the city and they just marveled
at the wild life--- and armadillos all over the place.

One time they pulled up, saw a armadillo going through their flower beds like a bulldozer.
Armadillos instantly went from, "Oh, look at them, they're so cute"... to, "SHOOT THE DEVIL"!!

Eddie Southgate
09-21-2023, 01:11 PM
#4 shot

Recycled bullet
09-21-2023, 01:22 PM
Mountain Cannon

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Texas by God
09-21-2023, 01:35 PM
20 gauge #6 will mop them up just fine.
I’ve been using one for armadillos for fifty years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK7saum
09-21-2023, 01:38 PM
air rifle, .22, shotgun with bird shot, 12 gauge slugs, 7mm rem mag, 45-70, .50 cal all work on armadillos.

sukivel
09-21-2023, 01:39 PM
A 257 Weatherby mag works real nice!

popper
09-21-2023, 01:43 PM
A 22lr at close range will work too and less expensive that 20ga shells. Problem is they are usually only out at night. In daytime - are they sick? Kid's dog got one at the ranch, GK finished it with 22lr. Friend in town was trying to trap one, just to find it was really a possum. Armadillo = possum on half shell.

BK7saum
09-21-2023, 02:00 PM
Thia time of year they are primarily nocturnal with limited exposure at dawn and dusk.

In February, and March they are out a lot during the day when temps are cold and days are warm. Seen as many as 30 to 35 out driving around.

Winger Ed.
09-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Friend in town was trying to trap one, just to find it was really a possum. Armadillo = possum on half shell.

It's almost impossible to trap one.
They won't come to bait, and they're darn near blind.

Some guy on the web sells traps for them.
You put it where they wander around at in their 'territory'.

It doesn't have bait, but when he builds them, he keeps a live armadillo in it for a few days before he sells it.
They can't see very well, but they are attracted to another armadillo's BO or smell.

I've seen a few out in the daytime, but figured food was a little scarce, and they were just hungry.
Or, maybe it was mating season.

I tolerate possums. If you have possums around, ticks will be real scarce.
We have ticks around here that can carry some horrible diseases like you'd read about in the Bible.
They eat ticks like a bum going after a baloney sandwich.

DonMountain
09-21-2023, 02:12 PM
Well, I don't have a slug mold for the 20 gauge since I use a rifle for deer here in Missouri. I do all my own reloading for shotshell plus pistol/rifle. So it would be easier to just use a rifle as opposed to buying a slug mold for the 20 gauge. Someone was suggesting a 257 Weatherby mag, but I don't have one of those either? Would a 338 Win Mag work? But I don't have a mold for that one either?

Wayne Smith
09-21-2023, 02:24 PM
Don, if a .22 will work anything you have short of throwing rocks is likely to work!

kayala
09-21-2023, 02:27 PM
Sorry couldn't resist :)
"Take off and nuke the site from orbit" ©

https://youtu.be/B9aM4rH692M?t=4

Winger Ed.
09-21-2023, 02:29 PM
Would a 338 Win Mag work? But I don't have a mold for that one either?

Any new project is the perfect reason to buy more power tools.
In this case, it is the perfect opportunity to show the finance dept. why you 'need' that mold.:bigsmyl2:

BK7saum
09-21-2023, 02:32 PM
Don, if a .22 will work anything you have short of throwing rocks is likely to work!
Throwing rocks works very well, too. Have killed several over the years with a rock.

09-21-2023, 04:32 PM
I know of one that didn't like a .54 round ball from a T/C Scout pistol.

Digital Dan
09-21-2023, 04:37 PM
I have been whacking them for quite a few years with .22 CB shorts and .22 BB Caps. They are not hard to kill and my longest shot with the CB shorts was near 50 yards. Don't play with their carcass, they are vectors for leprosy.

jaysouth
09-21-2023, 07:41 PM
74 Ford F-100 does a great job. No need to reload.

versa-06
09-21-2023, 08:05 PM
My extractor load is 8.0 gr 800-x Lee 118gr soupcan out of a 30-30. I even use this load for putting down hogs at butcher time. Bullet travels all the way from the forehead to the guts past the ribs.

alfadan
09-21-2023, 08:20 PM
A ruger 10-22 with a 4x and flashlight is my 'dillar tool of choice. If they are making a mess around the house, I use a wireless driveway alarm to wake me up (usually around 4am!) and go "sneak" up on it.

A guy at work had a relative who's daughter was having a wedding on their farm. The guy fertilized and watered and got the site very nice and picture perfect. The night before the wedding, an armadillo had torn the whole place up!

GrayTech
09-21-2023, 10:37 PM
Thia time of year they are primarily nocturnal with limited exposure at dawn and dusk.

In February, and March they are out a lot during the day when temps are cold and days are warm. Seen as many as 30 to 35 out driving around.The armadillos in your area drive around?!?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

15meter
09-21-2023, 11:19 PM
The armadillos in your area drive around?!?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

My kinda point of view.

adanymous
09-21-2023, 11:27 PM
Ill tell you from experience, dont shoot em with carbon arrows. They run a ways and score the outside of the carbon and it breaks at the score mark every dang time. Pretty expensive way to get rid of em.

They are fun to shoot at longer ranges with varmint rifles.

They live in holes and are often flushed out after a big rain. Perfect time to troll fields looking for em. If you find a diller hole dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in it and he'll come right on out real quick.

15meter
09-21-2023, 11:29 PM
Throwing rocks works very well, too. Have killed several over the years with a rock.

Sounds like me with woodchucks. 2 pound ball peen hammer from the tool box on the tractor or Knapp K9 6" "farm yard acid resistant" AKA manure boots. Both were equally lethal on whistle pigs.

15meter
09-21-2023, 11:33 PM
Ill tell you from experience, dont shoot em with carbon arrows. They run a ways and score the outside of the carbon and it breaks at the score mark every dang time. Pretty expensive way to get rid of em.

They are fun to shoot at longer ranges with varmint rifles.

They live in holes and are often flushed out after a big rain. Perfect time to troll fields looking for em. If you find a diller hole dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in it and he'll come right on out real quick.

Woodchucks around here were, a 5 gallon bucket of water and a quart of gas poured on top of the water as it went down the burrow.

And a match.

Tip: The match is tossed from the BACK side of the woodchuck den.

WHUUUMP!

wmitty
09-22-2023, 12:26 AM
The Armored Dillow is best dispatched with the Lahti 20 mm round. If that’s not available, a .22 will usually make ‘em jump remarkably high with a body hit. They are so blind I’ve had them walk up to me and bump into my leg whilst I was hunting deer. The highway department here in Texas subcontracted with the Mexican buzzards to remove the deceased ‘dillos from the roadways. Turns out the buzzards sued the state and won after a bunch of the clean up crews came down with leprosy…

Winger Ed.
09-22-2023, 12:49 AM
Another thing we can all be grateful to the Texas Hi-Way Dept. for is the old flying disc toy --- the 'frisbe'.

It was inspired by Texas Hi-way employees peeling what we call 'Sail Rabbits' off the roads & hi-ways
after they'd been run over a few hundred times and well dried in the sun for about a week.
When they threw them at each other, you didn't try to catch it like a frisbe,
it was more like 'dodge ball' where you tried to avoid being hit with it.

sukivel
09-22-2023, 12:02 PM
Well, I don't have a slug mold for the 20 gauge since I use a rifle for deer here in Missouri. I do all my own reloading for shotshell plus pistol/rifle. So it would be easier to just use a rifle as opposed to buying a slug mold for the 20 gauge. Someone was suggesting a 257 Weatherby mag, but I don't have one of those either? Would a 338 Win Mag work? But I don't have a mold for that one either?

The point is…about anything will work. Pick a gun you want to shoot, and start making possum on the half shell soup! And don’t forget the sea salt…

Der Gebirgsjager
09-22-2023, 01:31 PM
FIVE POUNDS OF POSSUM

My children are hungry
And my dog needs a bone
I ain't got a job now
So I'm just drivin' home
An hour after sundown
And much to my delight
There's five ponds of possum
In my headlights tonight.

Well there's five pounds of possum
In my headlights tonight
If I can run him over
Ev'rything'll be alright
We'll have some possum gravy
Oh what a wonderful sight
There's five pounds of possum
In my headights tonight.

Don't have to kill no chickens
Don't have to open no cans
Just a little bit closer
And I'll have him in my hands
I think the time has come now
To go from dim to bright
There's five pounds of possum
In my headlights tonight.

sixshot
09-22-2023, 01:42 PM
Dang! Two full pages of replies & not one single photo, what is going on here! When I was in the military back in the 60's in Texas I shot a fair number of them with my recurve bow & wooden arrows, they always broke my arrows.

Dick

versa-06
09-22-2023, 03:01 PM
Shot one with a 410 #6 when I was a kid at about 40 yds, & the thing jumped straight up about 31/2-4 feet in the air. I was about 9 years old. To me that was a funny story that had to be told to all of my friends. Then I heard Let's go Brandon did the same thing & his jumped 97 ft in the air.[smilie=l:

Winger Ed.
09-22-2023, 04:01 PM
Dang! Two full pages of replies & not one single photo, what is going on here!

They're a little camera shy, but I found a picture of one.
It's from the Texas Hi-Way Depts. 'not my job' contest.

wmitty
09-22-2023, 04:04 PM
Winger, that has to be the most demonstrative picture of all time in regards to describing the “ not my job” attitude!

Winger Ed.
09-22-2023, 04:20 PM
Winger, that has to be the most demonstrative picture of all time in regards to describing the “ not my job” attitude!

Oh yeah, I think it was the winner for that that year.:bigsmyl2:

(Do a quickie search for 'not my job' then click 'images'.
There is some really funny ones out there).

gwpercle
09-22-2023, 06:17 PM
They are deceptively easy to kill . The "shell" is only stiff leather hard and not very thick at all . 22LR or any thing you hunt squirrel / rabbits with .
I squirrel hunt with a 20 ga. and #5 shot but usually take a armadillo with the 22 LR revolver I carry on my belt , CB cap or shorts work fine ... a head shot is best .

Most armadillo's do not carry Hansen's , the few that do are usually in the deep South , Louisiana and Texas ... the bacteria doesn't thrive in cold weather areas . Reaserch has shown only about 6% in the deep south have it ...that's a low number and there is a easy way to avoid transmisson ... Cook to 155 F. - 160 F. med-well !
Do Not Undercook ...Cooking the meat well , as you would cook pork (remember trichinosis) kills the Hanses's bacteria just as it would the trichinosis bacteria .

They are edible and the meat quite good . My Mom said that during the 1930's depression Her daddy would take armadillo , squirrel and the occasional rabbit to feed them ... She called them "Hoover Hog's " ... Quote " We would have starved slap to death if not for the Hoover Hogs and such daddy shot with his 38 S&W DA belt pistol , times was hard and meat wasn't easy to get . "

After hearing Mom's stories and seeing the curved knives her daddy made to clean under the curved armadillo shells ... my brother and I decided to take a couple and try them . Taste like pork . We made a great Chili and Sauce Picante , cooked the meat well and neither of us got Hansen's .
Don't be afraid to try eating , simply cooking the meat as you would cook pork - well done - kills any bacteria ... and not every armadillo is carring it .
My Dad always insisted we try and utilize whatever we killed for food ... He didn't take to killing animals for no reason ... He said God made every animal for a reason and if we didn't need it for food then we shouldn't kill it .
Gary

Gray Fox
09-22-2023, 06:19 PM
Sixshot. I was at Ft. Hood in '68 before going to 'Nam and did the same thing with the same results. My very new bride brought such actions to a halt when I made what I thought was a great instinctive shot from about 20 yards with a Bear Razorhead on a skunk that was coming right at me. The head hit horizontally right at the eye level. Tomato juice and a lot of soap does work--eventually. GF

vonfilm
09-22-2023, 08:28 PM
The only armadillo that I ever shot was with a 45-70. It managed to take it down with one shot.

Good Cheer
09-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Here in mid-Missouri we are having a problem with armadillos digging up everything and getting jammed in farm machinery when cutting hay, and combining. I keep a 20 gauge shotgun by the door loaded with 3/4 ounce number 6's for the squirrel problem in our pecan trees in the yard and eating all the wiring out of our cars. So, my question is, what does it take to kill these armadillos, usually at a close range? Will the shotgun do it? Or will I have to resort to my deer rifle? (45-70 with 300 grain RCBS cast projectiles)

Oh I'd definitely have to use this as an excuse for a load with three round balls!
:rolleyes:

Winger Ed.
09-22-2023, 08:51 PM
The only armadillo that I ever shot was with a 45-70. It managed to take it down with one shot.

I was deer hunting with a buddy when a squirrel went out on a nearby branch, looked at him and wouldn't stop barking.
When they do that the other animals- especially deer will tend to move away from the sound.
He told me later the shot I heard wasn't a miss, it was on the squirrel.

I asked, "You shot a squirrel with a .300Win Mag"?

He said, "Yeah. I was under attack, it was him or me".

steve urquell
09-23-2023, 12:17 AM
I shoot them at dusk with my suppressed 9mm with 160gr FN at 900fps. Kills them really well. I have killed >25 here in NW AR. I found .22LR to be a little too light, .22 mag was good, .223 splits them from top to bottom and disposal is nasty.
https://i.imgur.com/hXCPXPS.jpg

Rapier
09-23-2023, 09:00 AM
Neighbor got tired of them tearing up his place, like his yard and garden, and started building live, drop door traps for them. Works well after the trap is seasoned, by leaving one in the tap for a couple days. The scent of them, without bait, attracts the others into the trap. The neighbor sells the traps with instructions. You can first bait the trap, to get them to enter, after the first one is trapped they just they go in the trap right to the scent which is the attractant.

I had a problem with them years ago, but trapped them all out. Getting near time to get two or three traps again. You do nothing but keep the used trap in a plastic bag for storage. The trap dimensions are fairly well set, The trap appears to be a tunnel opening with bottom sides and top with solid drop doors in wood slots from a middle trigger.

Only thing you do is set the traps out.

Hogtamer
09-24-2023, 11:09 AM
With a recurve and wooden arrows I found the most efficient dilla killa was a .38 hull glued on the untapered end of arrow. Cracks ‘em like a walnut.

Barry54
09-24-2023, 02:08 PM
I shoot them at dusk with my suppressed 9mm with 160gr FN at 900fps. Kills them really well. I have killed >25 here in NW AR. I found .22LR to be a little too light, .22 mag was good, .223 splits them from top to bottom and disposal is nasty.
https://i.imgur.com/hXCPXPS.jpg

I’d like to hear all about that 9mm load!

barnetmill
09-24-2023, 05:32 PM
One of my bulldogs kills them quite regularly in Florida. I wish he did not since they will dig up yellow jacket nests, but since I am planning to start a garden soon that will not be off the ground, maybe they are just better gone. i generally find the carcasses by smell. One of the other bulldogs likes to roll on the rotten carcass.
he has a large head that is also wide with bulging jaw muscle. the other critters like raccoons, possums, cats, etc seemed to have learned to stay away or at not to get caught by him.

gumbo333
09-24-2023, 05:46 PM
If you have ‘Dillos digging in your yard you must have some kind of bugs/ worms residing there, right?

Winger Ed.
09-24-2023, 05:52 PM
If you have ‘Dillos digging in your yard you must have some kind of bugs/ worms residing there, right?

Yes.
They also don't have teeth,
so they root around for bugs & grubs under surface if they can't find them on top of the ground.

We have plenty of them around here, but we don't have flower beds to sort of attract them.
They cruise through the yard 2-3 times a week.

Our ground is pretty hard packed clay they can't really dig in, so I leave them alone.
The neighbors with their fancy city yards,,,, not so much.

steve urquell
09-24-2023, 07:15 PM
I’d like to hear all about that 9mm load!

Check out this thread. The load data is very dependent on the barrel throat depth so I will only post it via PM if you want.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355981-Lee-358-158-RF-in-9mm/page3

alfadan
09-24-2023, 07:30 PM
They seem to follow moon phases. During a new moon they seem to be out more.

Winger Ed.
09-24-2023, 07:46 PM
They seem to follow moon phases. During a new moon they seem to be out more.

They can see better then, and we can see them better.
They aren't blind, but like a skunk, they really don't see very well either.

Good Cheer
09-24-2023, 08:43 PM
If you have a yard light to attract bugs they'll love you.

gwpercle
09-28-2023, 06:28 PM
With the cost of meat , in the store , being almost insanely high , don't forget the Armadillo is very edible and quite tasty .
Here in Louisiana , there is no daily limit , no closed season and if they are doing damage to your property , crops , buildings etc.... you don't even need a small game hunting liscense to kill all you want .
Clean and freeze the meat ... cook like pork or chicken .
They are also known as " Hoover Hogs" ... they ain't a problem if they taste good ...
That's what I call dinner !
Gary

alfadan
09-28-2023, 07:10 PM
I don't know, I'd have to be incredibly hungry to eat one. They're so ugly, I feel bad for my bullets when they hit 'em.

Winger Ed.
09-28-2023, 07:31 PM
I never got hungry or drunk enough to eat one of them, or a possum for that matter.

I figure if before I got that hungry,
I go dumpster diving at some apartment complexes to gather up & cash in a few trash bags of Alum. cans.
Then go buy something at the grocery store ----
(where I've heard no animals were harmed to get them on those styrofoam trays under clear plastic wrap).

barnetmill
09-28-2023, 07:44 PM
It is what IIRC Justin Wilson called possum on the half shell.
My dogs kill them all of the time, but they prefer that they get well seasoned before the dogs will eat them. Seasoned is well rotted and they pull the meat off easily. Like a stewed chicken from a pressure cooker.

They do have a low body temperature and can carry leprosy.

In the southern United States, some armadillos are naturally infected with the bacteria that cause Hansen's disease in people and it may be possible that they can spread it to people. However, the risk is very low and most people who come into contact with armadillos are unlikely to get Hansen's disease.

Transmission | Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) - CDC
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (.gov

Alan
09-30-2023, 02:29 PM

We killed them by the HUNDREDS with .22 Shorts. Before the coyotes got to N. Louisiana they would be out in the evening in herds of 20-30, in pastures and yards. The damage they could do to a yard in one night was rivaled only by hogs. Dad would load the neighborhood boys up in the back of his '62 Falcon and furnish them with all the shorts they could shoot, and drive them around the back roads and let them mow down any 'dillos we could find.

When they coyotes moved in they took care of about 90% of the problem. We would rather have had the 'dillos.

Good Cheer
09-30-2023, 07:22 PM
Yeah, from all indications expect deer and armadillos to become scare again.

barnetmill
09-30-2023, 07:48 PM
Yeah, from all indications expect deer and armadillos to become scare again.

We do have significant armadillos in my area of Pace-Milton, Florida. My dogs kill about one every six weeks and we do have coyotes. Maybe without the coyotes there would be more.

steve urquell
10-03-2023, 10:47 PM
I killed 2 over the last few days. Had a FTE problem with my pistol and fixed it today by switching a 15lb recoil spring out for a 17lb. Shot several mags on steel to confirm function. My dillo gun below.

https://i.imgur.com/qvVWvOv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/abREOvl.jpg

barnetmill
10-03-2023, 11:00 PM
I do not know if it has been mentioned but the armadillo is not native to most of the USA but it is now all over the southern portions of the usa.
The current (circa 2009–2010) range (shaded red), and predicted future range (shaded pink) of the nine-banded armadillo in the USA
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Armadillo_range_expansion.png

The armadillo crossed the Rio Grande from Mexico in the late 19th century, and was introduced in Florida at about the same time by humans. By 1995, the species had become well established in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida, and had been sighted as far afield as Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, and South Carolina. A decade later, the armadillo had become established in all of those areas and continued its migration, being sighted as far north as southern Nebraska, southern Illinois, and southern Indiana.[11] The primary cause of this rapid expansion is explained simply by the species having few natural predators within the United States, little desire on the part of Americans to hunt or eat the armadillo, and the animals' high reproductive rate. The northern expansion of the armadillo is expected to continue until the species reaches as far north as Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut, and all points southward on the East Coast of the United States. Further northward and westward expansion will probably be limited by the armadillo's poor tolerance of harsh winters, due to its lack of insulating fat and its inability to hibernate.[11] As of 2009, newspaper reports indicated the nine-banded armadillo seems to have expanded its range northward as far as Omaha, Nebraska in the west, and Kentucky Dam and Evansville, Indiana, in the east.[12][13][14] In 1995, armadillos were only seen in the southern tip of South Carolina, and within two to three years, they had swept across most of the state.[9] In late 2009, North Carolina began considering the establishment of a hunting season for armadillo, following reports that the species has been moving into the southern reaches of the state (roughly between the areas of Charlotte and Wilmington).[15][16] Outside the United States, the nine-banded armadillo ranges southward through Central and South America into northern Argentina and Uruguay, where it is still expanding its range.[9]

steve urquell
10-03-2023, 11:08 PM
They are destructive to property as well as ground nesting birds. They rip open nests to get the eggs of quail and turkey. Probably going to be the demise of both species as their range grows.

barnetmill
10-03-2023, 11:13 PM
They are destructive to property as well as ground nesting birds. They rip open nests to get the eggs of quail and turkey. Probably going to be the demise of both species as their range grows.

I wonder if that is what happened to the local quail. Here I was blaming foxes and coyotes habitat loss.

Winger Ed.
10-03-2023, 11:28 PM
Armadillos had a little help moving East out of Texas and crossing the Mississippi River.

My Mom's family home was a ranch in the Texas Hill Country near Fredericksburg.
During WWII, my Mom was about 12. Her older sister was married to a local guy who served in the Pacific in the Navy.
Towards the end of WWII, her sister & BIL were stationed at the Navy part of what's now Eglin AFB in Western Florida.
After a couple years in the war zone, I think they brought him back to the US to be an instructor.

Big surprise! Their base Commander was also from the Hill Country.
At the time, 1944/45, getting leave was almost impossible. But they did.
BIL got 10-12 days leave to come back home,,,,,,, and bring back an armadillo.

Mom talked of chasing them around for days trying to catch some. (They had plenty on their ranch)
Her & her brothers ended up with three of them, and built a cage to carry them back to Florida.

It sounded like a Tazmanian devil was in the car trunk. Stopping in Louisiana for gas, BIL opened the trunk
to check on them..... The pregnant one was on top of the cage, and jumped out!

Back in Florida, the base Commander was happy to have a little piece of Texas there on the base.
He just let them go in his yard. It didn't take long before the mated pair escaped out into the wilderness of Florida.

My Dad's brother lived in Monroe, LA.
It's pretty much along the road you'd take going from the Hill Country to Florida.

He encountered one in the late 50s for the first time, and it was in his yard.
His sense of amazement quickly changed...
He was a Deacon in the Church, but didn't have one kind word to say about them...
We never told him how it probably got there.

barnetmill
10-03-2023, 11:48 PM
Armadillos had a little help moving East out of Texas and crossing the Mississippi River.

My Mom's family home was a ranch in the Texas Hill Country near Fredericksburg.
During WWII, my Mom was about 12. Her older sister was married to a local guy who served in the Pacific in the Navy.
Towards the end of WWII, her sister & BIL were stationed at the Navy part of what's now Eglin AFB in Western Florida.
After a couple years in the war zone, I think they brought him back to the US to be an instructor.

Big surprise! Their base Commander was also from the Hill Country.
At the time, 1944/45, getting leave was almost impossible. But they did.
BIL got 10-12 days leave to come back home,,,,,,, and bring back an armadillo.

Mom talked of chasing them around for days trying to catch some. (They had plenty on their ranch)
Her & her brothers ended up with three of them, and built a cage to carry them back to Florida.

It sounded like a Tazmanian devil was in the car trunk. Stopping in Louisiana for gas, BIL opened the trunk
to check on them..... The pregnant one was on top of the cage, and jumped out!

Back in Florida, the base Commander was happy to have a little piece of Texas there on the base.
He just let them go in his yard. It didn't take long before the mated pair escaped out into the wilderness of Florida.

My Dad's brother lived in Monroe, LA.
It's pretty much along the road you'd take going from the Hill Country to Florida.

He encountered one in the late 50s for the first time, and it was in his yard.
His sense of amazement quickly changed...
He was a Deacon in the Church, but didn't have one kind word to say about them...
We never told him how it probably got there.

Crossing the Mississippi they could not do by walking on the bottom of the river. But in semi truck as part of the load going over bridge might be possible. Or they might have gotten washed over on mat or raft of logs. Eglin is not to far from me.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2023, 12:15 AM
If you see 'em around there, they might be decendents from the ones my Mom helped catch in 1944.:bigsmyl2:

barnetmill
10-04-2023, 12:26 AM
If you see 'em around there, they might be decendents from the ones my Mom helped catch in 1944.:bigsmyl2:

Eglin is huge and some parts of the base are just over in the next county. As the crow flies it is about twenty mile to reach the western base boundary. But it takes a while to get their
Line drawn from my neighborhood to western part of Eglin Air Force Base.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2023, 12:45 AM
I don't know how far adolesent ones go to find their own territory after they leave their mama.
However--- In almost 80 years, I think they could have expanded out 20 miles without too much trouble.

When I see them, they are always plodding along just following their nose.
In almost 80 years, I can see them actually expanding out a few hundred miles.

barnetmill
10-04-2023, 12:47 AM
I don't know how far adolesent ones go to find their own territory after they leave their mama.
However--- In almost 80 years, I think they could have expanded out 20 miles without too much trouble.

When I see them, they are always plodding along just following their nose.
In almost 80 years, I can see them actually expanding out a few hundred miles.

I think that they can spread a bit faster than you imagine if they have the population numbers.

Frank V
10-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Hopefully too cold for them here in Montana?;)

alfadan
10-04-2023, 10:09 PM
Just got a double! Walking out back at dusk and hear leaves rustling. I stop and around the trees come one being chased by the other. I think one was trying to be romantic. I got the chase-ee in the scope and put 3 in it and and had a jam in the 1022. Cleared it and the other was running straight at me and put one in his head, all within 10 yards! Fastest I've ever seen them move!

steve urquell
10-04-2023, 10:31 PM
Just got a double! Walking out back at dusk and hear leaves rustling. I stop and around the trees come one being chased by the other. I think one was trying to be romantic. I got the chase-ee in the scope and put 3 in it and and had a jam in the 1022. Cleared it and the other was running straight at me and put one in his head, all within 10 yards! Fastest I've ever seen them move!

Good job! The one I shot in the pic above was with another one and it got away before i cleared my jam. I have seen them run surprisingly fast before. I had one that was very wary and took off running like a deer before I got closer than 40yds to it.

Recycled bullet
10-04-2023, 10:37 PM
155 grain MP359 Hammer hollow points over 16.5 grain H110 in 357 Magnum.

Is this armadillo medicine?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/8f0fb96b04770e685fdd18a322722bd9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/5ab4ff202e7c611100590d1cd3a3c875.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/78cd25d881a115eaaf6f3dae59a741dd.jpg

steve urquell
10-04-2023, 10:56 PM

Is this armadillo medicine?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/8f0fb96b04770e685fdd18a322722bd9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/5ab4ff202e7c611100590d1cd3a3c875.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231005/78cd25d881a115eaaf6f3dae59a741dd.jpg

Only one way to find out. Grab the flashlight. Make sure to post pics of the exploded carcasses.

Tracy
10-05-2023, 02:50 AM
I remember 30 years ago when I first started seeing an occasional one west and south of the Tennessee River. A few years later I saw one on this side. Now they are as common as 'possums.
I've heard they followed the fire ants.
In my experience, .22LR is a great way to kill them.

barnetmill
10-05-2023, 08:13 AM
I remember 30 years ago when I first started seeing an occasional one west and south of the Tennessee River. A few years later I saw one on this side. Now they are as common as 'possums.
I've heard they followed the fire ants.
In my experience, .22LR is a great way to kill them.

In NW Florida we have both fire ants and armadillos and nothing on four legs or that flies seems to mess with fireants. Armadillos will go after ground dwelling yellow jacket nests.
I thinks it is a question of them adapting to the winters via natural selection.

dogrunner
10-05-2023, 10:02 AM
I can attest that the things were present in large numbers here in E/central Fla. in the late 50's. Had a walker foxhound mix back then that delighted in making them look like roadkill..........would not eat 'em, just rip to pieces!

Char-Gar
10-05-2023, 12:48 PM
Armadillos are an iconic Texas critter and I have no reason to kill them. They do dig some little holes in my yard in their nightly search for some bugs to eat, but just step on the hole and it will be gone and the grass looking good in 24 to 48 hours. The Armadillos need those bugs far more than I do and I am willing to share with them.

txbirdman
10-05-2023, 03:08 PM
Use to hunt them all the time when I was a kid (60+ years ago). Learned a lot about snap shooting and leading the target with my .22 in those days. Still live in the country and see them on occasion but I have a “live and let live “ agreement with them these days. In fact, I don’t have the passion for killing things that I use to. Still like target shooting though.

barnetmill
10-05-2023, 03:27 PM
Use to hunt them all the time when I was a kid (60+ years ago). Learned a lot about snap shooting and leading the target with my .22 in those days. Still live in the country and see them on occasion but I have a “live and let live “ agreement with them these days. In fact, I don’t have the passion for killing things that I use to. Still like target shooting though.

Those have become my sentiments non-harmful critters. I sort of wish my dogs would leave them alone.

Winger Ed.
10-05-2023, 04:51 PM
In open country, they usually dig their burrows at the base of a tree.
However; you can see a lot of them sort of out in the open too.
Ranchers have no love for them since a cow or some other live stock can step in the hole and break a leg.

txbirdman
10-05-2023, 05:01 PM
Winger Ed, I guess that could happen with livestock but I’ve owned cattle for over 50 years in “armadillo country” and never had a problem that I know of. They mostly stay in wooded areas for their own safety from predators and tend to burrow around trees and fence lines.

Winger Ed.
10-05-2023, 05:21 PM
I have a few relatives that are ranchers.
I never heard one of them saying they ever had a critter break its leg in one of the holes,
but they seemed to be concerned about it.
Maybe because cows, at any stage of their life are very valuable.
I've only seen one of their burrows in a place it could be a hazard, but it was on farming land.

gwpercle
10-05-2023, 05:31 PM
Winger Ed, I guess that could happen with livestock but I’ve owned cattle for over 50 years in “armadillo country” and never had a problem that I know of. They mostly stay in wooded areas for their own safety from predators and tend to burrow around trees and fence lines.

I also have only found them in the woods , usually digging and burrowing around tree roots ... but there was one time , in an open hay field , it looked like bowling balls were slowly moving across the open field about 15 - 20 ... we stopped the car , wife and kids got out and watched this spectical ... shiney dark rounded shells , looked like bowling balls ( or cannon balls) about 2 to 3 feet apart and all moving in the same direction slowly across the hay field ... the 8" high grass hid their heads and legs , so from the road you can imagine how "creepy" and surreal this looked in the late afternoon light . All these bowling balls moving in the same direction !
I've never heard of armadillo's migrating or anyone else ever seeing such a sight .

I hope sone else knows about this ... I've never told anyone about seeing this because ... it's sounds like such a cock & bull story ! Migrating Armadillo's !!!
Gary

txbirdman
10-05-2023, 05:34 PM
An armadillo digs its hole at about a 45 degree angle so maybe that’s why you don’t hear about many injuries. Now a prairie dog hole is a bigger problem from what I’m told. Fortunately I don’t have any of them.

alfadan
10-05-2023, 06:31 PM
I also have only found them in the woods , usually digging and burrowing around tree roots ... but there was one time , in an open hay field , it looked like bowling balls were slowly moving across the open field about 15 - 20 ... we stopped the car , wife and kids got out and watched this spectical ... shiney dark rounded shells , looked like bowling balls ( or cannon balls) about 2 to 3 feet apart and all moving in the same direction slowly across the hay field ... the 8" high grass hid their heads and legs , so from the road you can imagine how "creepy" and surreal this looked in the late afternoon light . All these bowling balls moving in the same direction !
I've never heard of armadillo's migrating or anyone else ever seeing such a sight .

I hope sone else knows about this ... I've never told anyone about seeing this because ... it's sounds like such a cock & bull story ! Migrating Armadillo's !!!
Gary

HA HA!

In days to come we can tell of the huge herds of 'dillars roaming the prairie until we came and wiped them all out!

steve urquell
10-05-2023, 08:18 PM
I've watched my turkey and quail populations decline to nearly zero as the armadillo population has increased. All with no land development/habitat change.

I will execute all I see of this invasive and destructive species and enjoy doing so knowing I am helping my native species in any way I can.

Recycled bullet
10-06-2023, 07:27 AM
Only one way to find out. Grab the flashlight. Make sure to post pics of the exploded carcasses.Okay unfortunately I could not find any armadillos however at 50 yards these bullets smack the heck out of the 12 inch diameter 3/8 inch thick AR 500 steel swinger. I hit it 6/6 times.

sukivel
10-06-2023, 11:28 AM

Yeah buddy!

Lonegun1894
10-07-2023, 03:45 AM
I’d go with a .22LR, and make sure you pick them up cause they’re actually good meat. Just cook it all the way through like you do with chicken and pork so you don’t catch anything, cause they’re known to occasionally carry leprosy.

Rockingkj
10-07-2023, 09:08 AM
I’d go with a .22LR, and make sure you pick them up cause they’re actually good meat. Just cook it all the way through like you do with chicken and pork so you don’t catch anything, cause they’re known to occasionally carry leprosy.

Ever notice that no one ever takes a bite of chicken, smacks thier lips and says it tastes like rattlesnake?

gwpercle
10-07-2023, 09:42 AM

:goodpost:
Like Like Like !!!

Gary :drinks:

MS Caster
12-31-2023, 02:20 PM
Howdy folks. I ran across this topic looking for information on using 30 caliber cast bullets on armadillos. I have been making war on this obnoxious creature my whole life. So far this year I have six confirmed kills, most shot with a pistol and jacketed hollow points. Yesterday I got the bright idea of taking some reduced 308 jacketed loads with me deer hunting for quieter armadillo disposal. Either point of impact with 165 grain bullets at 1200 fps is greatly different at 20 - 30 yards or the bullet zipped through them without causing enough damage to kill immediately. The third attempt was with a standard velocity bullet which of course blew him apart.

I have been tinkering with an Ohaus 170 grain flat point mold and am going to try casting some from pure lead with some tin added and see how they do on armadillos. I’ve been using Trail Boss and shooting at barely supersonic velocity. Going to drop the charge down to subsonic to have a quieter armadillo killer that maybe won’t spook deer.

Anyone ever try this?

BK7saum
01-03-2024, 04:17 AM
Most of my subsonic loads at 1050 fps shoot several inches low at 50 yards compared to normal full velocity loads. Just depends on the rifle and load where POI will be.

steve urquell
01-03-2024, 09:15 AM
Howdy folks. I ran across this topic looking for information on using 30 caliber cast bullets on armadillos. I have been making war on this obnoxious creature my whole life. So far this year I have six confirmed kills, most shot with a pistol and jacketed hollow points. Yesterday I got the bright idea of taking some reduced 308 jacketed loads with me deer hunting for quieter armadillo disposal. Either point of impact with 165 grain bullets at 1200 fps is greatly different at 20 - 30 yards or the bullet zipped through them without causing enough damage to kill immediately. The third attempt was with a standard velocity bullet which of course blew him apart.

I have been tinkering with an Ohaus 170 grain flat point mold and am going to try casting some from pure lead with some tin added and see how they do on armadillos. I’ve been using Trail Boss and shooting at barely supersonic velocity. Going to drop the charge down to subsonic to have a quieter armadillo killer that maybe won’t spook deer.

Anyone ever try this?
It may be tough to get expansion due to the sectional density of the boolit. If you want to play around with it that is always fun but if you want guaranteed expansion without the work I have had good success with the Hornady .309XTP at subsonic velocities out of my .300BLK.
Captured from water bottles, 964fps velocity:

https://i.imgur.com/8pt50Ts.jpg

BK7saum
01-03-2024, 11:54 AM
If not opposed to jacketed bullets, the Speer 110 grain HP M1 carbine bullet is also a fun one subsonic in my 300 BLK.

centershot
01-07-2024, 10:19 AM
74 Ford F-100 does a great job. No need to reload.

Leaving our niece's home in Dallas last summer at 0500 hrs. we were just entering the downtown multi-lane snarl at about 60 mph, Cheryl was driving. I'm looking out the widow to the east when I feel the car (Subaru Legacy) suddenly swerve left. I immediately turn my head to look out the windshield and, lo and behold, there's this big, chubby armadillo crossing the highway. All of this happens in less than a second, of course, my first thought was "That looks like an arma-BOOM (car bounces up about two feet!)-dillo!" Fortunately, the car wasn't damaged, can't say for sure about the armadillo.........

Winger Ed.
01-07-2024, 02:53 PM
It's pretty hard on them even if you try to straddle one with a car.
When frightened, they jump straight up.

steve urquell
01-07-2024, 04:19 PM
I have a new dillo gun. 9mm Foxtrot Mike FM9 5" bbl pistol. Eats all the cast boolits it's been fed so far.

https://i.imgur.com/ItfJ2cF.jpg

barnetmill
01-07-2024, 05:43 PM
I have a new dillo gun. 9mm Foxtrot Mike FM9 5" bbl pistol. Eats all the cast boolits it's been fed so far.

https://i.imgur.com/ItfJ2cF.jpg

That is one fine armadillo gun.
I wonder if you factor the cost of the gun for all of the armadillos killed, but I guess the fun and cool factor has got to be factored in also

steve urquell
01-07-2024, 10:19 PM
That is one fine armadillo gun.
I wonder if you factor the cost of the gun for all of the armadillos killed, but I guess the fun and cool factor has got to be factored in also

Thanks. Below is what I have been hoping to see when I started eradicating the dillos. Last week right by my house.
https://youtu.be/DUAlDnOdDpg?feature=shared

poppy42
01-07-2024, 11:15 PM
Yep! 22, rock, pointy stick. It’s actually quite amusing or shoot them with a 22 they pop up in the air like a carnival game!

nidrab
01-10-2024, 11:15 AM
bird shot works up close

jaysouth
01-12-2024, 01:47 AM
How much does a dillo weight? They eat twice their weight in ticks every year.

Winger Ed.
01-12-2024, 02:42 AM
I never weighed one, but about they're like picking up a average, grocery store, long-ish, green watermelon.

steve urquell
01-12-2024, 08:49 AM
How much does a dillo weight? They eat twice their weight in ticks every year.

You are mistaking the armadillo for the possum. Armadillos do not eat ticks. There is a myth that possums eat ticks but that has been proven to be wrong.
https://outdoor.wildlifeillinois.org/articles/debunking-the-myth-opossums-dont-eat-ticks

steve urquell
01-12-2024, 08:56 AM
I never weighed one, but about they're like picking up a average, grocery store, long-ish, green watermelon.

Yes. In Arkansas they are getting huge. I would estimate my big ones to be up to 30lbs. I am guessing they have put on body fat up here to combat cold temps since they have no fur. I have seen them up here foraging in 20F temps in winter. I believe they have changed to tolerate cold weather. Fat insulation in lieu of fur.

.22LR on my big dillos is a joke unless you want to shoot them 15X. Last time I shot one with a .22LR was not humane. They are too big for that here. When I lived in TX the dillos were not this big.

In my 23years in the country they have grown in size greatly and are much more active in the cold that before. I fear they will only spread further North as their cold tolerance increases.

barnetmill
01-12-2024, 12:00 PM
Yes. In Arkansas they are getting huge. I would estimate my big ones to be up to 30lbs. I am guessing they have put on body fat up here to combat cold temps since they have no fur. I have seen them up here foraging in 20F temps in winter. I believe they have changed to tolerate cold weather. Fat insulation in lieu of fur.

.22LR on my big dillos is a joke unless you want to shoot them 15X. Last time I shot one with a .22LR was not humane. They are too big for that here. When I lived in TX the dillos were not this big.

In my 23years in the country they have grown in size greatly and are much more active in the cold that before. I fear they will only spread further North as their cold tolerance increases.

Years ago I did see what was likely a 30 lb armadillo in Mississippi. The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico and they get some spells there and so likely there are genes they picked up to deal with cold weather.
They go after yellow jacket colonies.

steve urquell
01-12-2024, 12:45 PM
Years ago I did see what was likely a 30 lb armadillo in Mississippi. The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico and they get some spells there and so likely there are genes they picked up to deal with cold weather.
They go after yellow jacket colonies.

I killed 2 awhile back that were on my porch. One was so huge it had more body hanging off each side of my flat bladed shovel that on it. As big around as a basketball. I carried it 70yds to one of my hollers to dump dropping it off the shovel 12X at least. My forearms, wrists and shoulders were killing me for a week.

After that I just get my little tractor and haul them in the loader bucket. Too big and heavy to carry off in the shovel. If I recall correctly when I was in Houston the dillos seemed to be about as big around as a 2-liter bottle.

Electrod47
01-12-2024, 01:13 PM
Normally I let things be unless I'm going to eat it. But, just the expression on my wife's face upon viewing the destruction of her rose garden gets me out at 2am with headlamp and shotgun......and I don't like being up at 2am

Txcowboy52
01-12-2024, 01:49 PM

A 20 gauge with number 6’s will do wonders as far as clearing out your armadillo problem, as others have stated and from personal experience.

Winger Ed.
01-12-2024, 03:55 PM
The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico

They had a little help getting to Louisiana and Florida.

During WWII, my Mom was about 10-14, and some older brothers and BILs were on active duty.
Admiral Nimitz was from Fredericksburg, in the Texas Hill Country. Right down the road from where Mom grew up.

One BIL was on Adm. Nimitz's Staff. Getting leave during the war was almost impossible.
As luck would have it: The Admiral was based out of Florida for awhile back then.
Her BIL was assigned 10 days or so leave by the Admiral to go back to the Hill Country
and bring back a couple of armadillos,,,,, to remind him of home.

Mom remembers herself and the other younger brothers & sisters chasing them around for a week.
They finally caught 3 and put them inside a wooden cage in BIL's car trunk.

They stopped for gas and checked on them near Monroe, LA...... Yep-- The cage was smashed.
That's when & where the pregnant one jumped out.
They got the other two back to Florida.
Admiral Nimitz turned them loose in his yard,,,, and it didn't take them long to dig out of there too.

I don't think they swim unless they have to or get thrown into the water--
The Mississippi River would have been a natural barrier for them going East if they hadn't had a little help crossing it.

versa-06
01-12-2024, 04:20 PM
I heard a story when I was young (in Fla.) that some got away from a traveling circus when one of their trucks wrecked. -06

Devon
01-12-2024, 06:45 PM
I read somewhere that if the temp remains below freezing for two weeks, it will wipe them out. They hole up when the ground freezes and can't forage for food. I would love to see them wiped out in my area.

popper
01-12-2024, 07:12 PM
Devon, that is why then tend to dig burrows near or under the foundation - to keep warm. Food freeze? Nope.

Rapier
01-13-2024, 09:37 AM
Guy across the road makes dildo live traps, and has signs out on his fence on the interstate, selling them. We have a few of the critters around, they dig up everything. Most folks here just use a 22 with a mag light mounted to the barrel and co-witnessed.

Digital Dan
01-13-2024, 10:37 AM
Have whacked more that a few with .22 BB caps. One shot, flop. Shorts work well also.

jmorris
01-13-2024, 11:19 AM
I used. 22 cee bees here at the house and motion sensors to detect their movement. I caught everything else including a skunk in a live trap before I put it back up.

Once I let my chickens free range, they stopped coming up into the yard. The chickens eat everything they come out of the woods for, problem solved. Then you become a predator hunter as everything that eats meat, like the way chickens taste.

doc watson
01-15-2024, 06:10 PM
We are seeing them in Western Kentucky as well.

nidrab
01-15-2024, 08:10 PM
We have them in Southwest Georgia too.

steve urquell
01-27-2024, 01:04 PM
Busted one last night with the new AR9. MP molds 128gr HP/PC loaded subsonic over TiteWad. Quiet and accurate. Entry just above the head from the front between shoulderblades, exited beside the tail for an end to end pass-thru. I doubt it expanded. A humane instant kill.

gwpercle
01-28-2024, 06:09 PM
Busted one last night with the new AR9. MP molds 128gr HP/PC loaded subsonic over TiteWad. Quiet and accurate. Entry just above the head from the front between shoulderblades, exited beside the tail for an end to end pass-thru. I doubt it expanded. A humane instant kill.

Do you need me to send you my favorite Recipe ... Armadillo Sauce Piquante ...
... or do you have the Recipe part covered ?

a good Cajun hates to see good eats go to waste ...
... Have Recipe , Will Post ... !
Gary

barnetmill
01-28-2024, 08:10 PM

Gary

Justin wilson called it possum on the half shell.

steve urquell
01-28-2024, 08:35 PM

Gary

Here's how I fix them. Clean carefully making sure to remove the glands from the rear end. Boil them to loosen the shell then split the shell with a sharp knife down the back and peel off.

Stuff the inside with buttered breadcrumbs and garlic cloves.
Sew shut.
Place on a raised wire mesh pan to allow drippings to drain off during baking..
Bake at 350F for 45mins or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and discard armadillo, pan, and all utinsels used during preparation into a trash bag.
Remove from house.

Take wife out to dinner to allow stench from cooking to dissipate

I ain't eatin no stinking armadillo! :D

Digital Dan
01-29-2024, 10:00 AM
Just so y'all know, 'dillos are a vector for leprosy.

steve urquell
01-29-2024, 02:54 PM
Just so y'all know, 'dillos are a vector for leprosy.

Yep. I read up on it awhile back and found that humans gave it to them and that their metabolism is uniquely suited to harbor it without the negative effects humans get from it. They can carry it without it hurting them.

And yes, you can get leprosy from armadillos.

Digital Dan
01-29-2024, 03:43 PM
Don't let your nose fall on your toes.

Bmi48219
01-29-2024, 10:45 PM
…..And yes, you can get leprosy from armadillos.

You can get leprosy from scratching your skin on a plant, branch or prickly leaf that an infected armadillo pissed on. Over 60% of Florida armadillos carry the disease. Over 80% of Florida vegetation is scratchy or prickly.

barnetmill
01-29-2024, 11:37 PM
It seems to only be a small percentage of humans are susceptible to leprosy.

Around 95% of all people cannot become sick because they are naturally immune. Leprosy can be cured with antibiotic treatment. Once someone starts treatment for Hansen's disease, they can no longer spread the disease to other people.

Link https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/transmission/index.html

steve urquell
01-30-2024, 12:03 AM
You can get leprosy from scratching your skin on a plant, branch or prickly leaf that an infected armadillo pissed on. Over 60% of Florida armadillos carry the disease. Over 80% of Florida vegetation is scratchy or prickly.

From a dermatologist site:
Because so many people are immune, how we catch it is still a bit of a mystery.

Scientists have learned that to catch leprosy, a healthy person must have months of close contact with someone who has leprosy. It’s believed that the disease spreads when a person who has leprosy coughs or sneezes. When a healthy person repeatedly breathes in the infected droplets, this may spread the disease.

It takes a lot of exposure to catch leprosy. If someone has leprosy, a single handshake or few hours spent sitting next to that person won’t spread the disease. You’d have to shake hands or sit next to that person often to get leprosy.

You can also get leprosy from an armadillo. It’s possible to catch the disease by handling an armadillo or spending time in an area where these animals live.

Hossfly
01-30-2024, 09:56 AM
Arma-Diggers are prolific around here. I’ve caught a few in hav-a-heart traps, very few. An old farmer mentor taught me to set trap, double end type next to a fence, where he travels and funnel him or her in and possibly you will catch, luck has a lot to do with it along with skill as a trapper.

They mostly travel early morning, 2:00 am till dawn. Motion detector works well, hooked to loud radio will wake you up, then fast on shotgun will usually get em. I got around 16 that way. Didn’t really seem to thin out that much.

gwpercle
01-30-2024, 01:40 PM
So ... I can assume ... no one wants my Armadillo Sauce Picante Recipe !

Oh Well , you can't say I didn't offer to share it with you .
Gary

steve urquell
01-30-2024, 02:42 PM
So ... I can assume ... no one wants my Armadillo Sauce Picante Recipe !

Oh Well , you can't say I didn't offer to share it with you .
Gary

You've piqued my interest Gary. Let's hear it.

Bmi48219
01-31-2024, 01:15 AM
….…You can also get leprosy from an armadillo. It’s possible to catch the disease by handling an armadillo or spending time in an area where these animals live.

My wife worked for a renowned plastic surgeon for 15 years. One of his patients, a surgeon in a different field, came in with an infection on his lower leg. Previous tests at the hospital hadn’t identified the cause. The patient related he had been weeding his plant bed and scratched his leg on a low prickly bush, same leg, same spot. The wife’s employer has a hunch and sent a biopsy out for analysis. The results came back as leprosy.
We see armadillos roaming around our neighborhood once or twice a week. Even the wife, who has a soft spot for most animals, doesn’t want armadillos around.

barnetmill
01-31-2024, 01:28 AM
My wife worked for a renowned plastic surgeon for 15 years. One of his patients, a surgeon in a different field, came in with an infection on his lower leg. Previous tests at the hospital hadn’t identified the cause. The patient related he had been weeding his plant bed and scratched his leg on a low prickly bush, same leg, same spot. The wife’s employer has a hunch and sent a biopsy out for analysis. The results came back as leprosy.
We see armadillos roaming around our neighborhood once or twice a week. Even the wife, who has a soft spot for most animals, doesn’t want armadillos around.

It just seems that the poor armadillos just can not get any love LOL.

gwpercle
01-31-2024, 11:25 AM
You've piqued my interest Gary. Let's hear it.

Okay ... but only because you asked for it ...

Armadillo Sauce Piquante
serves 8

About 4 1/2 lbs. of Armadillo Meat (see Note #1)
cleaned and cut up into equal sized pieces.

1 cup Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil - divided

3/4 Cup all-purpose Flour.

2 cups chopped Yellow Onion

1 Cup chopped Bell Pepper

1/2 cup chopped Celery

2 Tablespoons chopped Garlic (about 5 cloves)

6 ozs. Tomato Paste (small can)

1 Cup Dry White Wine

4 cups Chicken Stock

28 ounces Whole Tomatoes

1 or 2 Jalapeno Peppers - chopped (seeds and ribs removed)

1 teaspoon dried Red Pepper Flakes

1 bunch Green Onions - chopped (tops and bottoms)

3 Tablespoons Sugar.

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire

4 Tablespoons fresh chopped Parsley

Seasonings :
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning Blend ( Like Tony's or your favorite)
plus some extra for the meat.

1/2 teaspoon dry Thyme

2 Bay leaves

Continued on next post ...

gwpercle
01-31-2024, 07:44 PM
Continued from post #135
Armadillo Sauce Piquante -

Instructions:
Clean and cut the meat into equal sized pieces ( See Note #1)
Season with Creole or all purpose seasoning and place in refg. untill needed .
Heat 2-3 Tablespoons Veg. oil (or bacon grease) in a Dutch Oven (or chicken fryer w/ lid) on Med.-High heat, brown the meat pieces on each side , about 4 mins per side . Remove the browned meat from the dutch oven to a platter and set aside .
Lower the heat to Medium , add the remaining oil (bacon grease) and when the oil is hot and shimmering , add the flour and whisk or stir for 5 to 8 minutes to make a Dark Roux ... scrape the pan bottom , do not let Roux stick or burn ... whisk or stir constantly ... if you burn he roux , start over .
When the Roux is dark brown ... remove pan from fire and add the Trinity - Onions , Bell Pepper and Celery stir untill the hot Roux is cooled a bit and then saute the back on med. heat until onions are soft and translucent .
Next add Garlic , some of the Red Pepper Flakes and about 1/2 of the spices that are listed ( but not the bay leaves , they come later ) continue to saute untill the spices are aromatic about 2 mins ( the heat releases the aromatics) .
Maintaining Medium Heat stir the Tomato paste into the Roux-onion mixture and saute 5 to 8 mins while the tomato paste browns slightly ... Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn !
Add the white wine and mix throughly , scrape the pan bottom . Saute another 5 mins. untill the wine has incorporated into the roux-onion-tomato paste .
Now add the whole tomatoes which you crush with your hands ( this was what my Mom did ... I buy diced or crushed tomatoes ) add all liquid with tomatoes .
Then add Worchestersire , sugar , about 1/2 of the remaining seasonings , jalapeno peppers and bay leaves . Mix thoroughly and simmer about 5 mins.
Increase the heat to Med-High and stir in the stock .Stir well and bring to a high simmer then lower the heat and continue on a slight simmer for 45 mins , partially cover the pot and stir often .
Add the browned meat , including any meat juice , the remaining herbs , spices and Green Onions . Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours untill the meat is tender and the sauce nice and thick . Cover the pot the first 45 mins. uncover and cook to thicken the sauce . When done taste and adjust seasonings to taste .

Serve over white rice with hot buttered French Bread and a green salad.

Notes;
#1) You can use this recipe with any of the following:
Chicken , Alligator , Rabbit , Squirrel , Nutria , Venison (deer meat) , Wild Hog even domestic pork ... You don't have to use no Armadillo !
I have cooked / eaten Sauce Piquante made with all of the meats listed and they are all great !
#2) This dish is better the next day ... and it Freezes very well .
#3) Add more heat by adding additional chopped Jalapeno's ... to me this taste's better than pepper in a sauce piquante .

Please try it ...sans the "Hoover Hog" ... using Rabbit is most excellent !

I have a feeling some up North critters might benefit from a Sauce Piquante ...
Those wood chucks or ground hogs I hear about ?

Hope someone can use this :drinks:
Gary

steve urquell
01-31-2024, 08:12 PM
Continued from post #135
Armadillo Sauce Piquante -

Instructions:
Clean and cut the meat into equal sized pieces ( See Note #1)
Season with Creole or all purpose seasoning and place in refg. untill needed .
Heat 2-3 Tablespoons Veg. oil (or bacon grease) in a Dutch Oven (or chicken fryer w/ lid) on Med.-High heat, brown the meat pieces on each side , about 4 mins per side . Remove the browned meat from the dutch oven to a platter and set aside .
Lower the heat to Medium , add the remaining oil (bacon grease) and when the oil is hot and shimmering , add the flour and whisk or stir for 5 to 8 minutes to make a Dark Roux ... scrape the pan bottom , do not let Roux stick or burn ... whisk or stir constantly ... if you burn he roux , start over .
When the Roux is dark brown ... remove pan from fire and add the Trinity - Onions , Bell Pepper and Celery stir untill the hot Roux is cooled a bit and then saute the back on med. heat until onions are soft and translucent .
Next add Garlic , some of the Red Pepper Flakes and about 1/2 of the spices that are listed ( but not the bay leaves , they come later ) continue to saute untill the spices are aromatic about 2 mins ( the heat releases the aromatics) .
Maintaining Medium Heat stir the Tomato paste into the Roux-onion mixture and saute 5 to 8 mins while the tomato paste browns slightly ... Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn !
Add the white wine and mix throughly , scrape the pan bottom . Saute another 5 mins. untill the wine has incorporated into the roux-onion-tomato paste .
Now add the whole tomatoes which you crush with your hands ( this was what my Mom did ... I buy diced or crushed tomatoes ) add all liquid with tomatoes .
Then add Worchestersire , sugar , about 1/2 of the remaining seasonings , jalapeno peppers and bay leaves . Mix thoroughly and simmer about 5 mins.
Increase the heat to Med-High and stir in the stock .Stir well and bring to a high simmer then lower the heat and continue on a slight simmer for 45 mins , partially cover the pot and stir often .
Add the browned meat , including any meat juice , the remaining herbs , spices and Green Onions . Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours untill the meat is tender and the sauce nice and thick . Cover the pot the first 45 mins. uncover and cook to thicken the sauce . When done taste and adjust seasonings to taste .

Serve over white rice with hot buttered French Bread and a green salad.

Notes;
#1) You can use this recipe with any of the following:
Chicken , Alligator , Rabbit , Squirrel , Nutria , Venison (deer meat) , Wild Hog even domestic pork ... You don't have to use no Armadillo !
I have cooked / eaten Sauce Piquante made with all of the meats listed and they are all great !
#2) This dish is better the next day ... and it Freezes very well .
#3) Add more heat by adding additional chopped Jalapeno's ... to me this taste's better than pepper in a sauce piquante .

Please try it ...sans the "Hoover Hog" ... using Rabbit is most excellent !

I have a feeling some up North critters might benefit from a Sauce Piquante ...
Those wood chucks or ground hogs I hear about ?

Hope someone can use this :drinks:
Gary

Thanks Gary. Sounds like a great base for any kind of meat. Appreciate your time spent posting it. :goodpost:

Abert Rim
02-02-2024, 10:12 AM
I started a couple of armadillo threads on two other forums in relation to the 70th annual World Leprosy Day, which was January 28. Lots of parallel information here on their expanding range, on Hansens's disease risk (and yes, 95 percent of us can't get it) and many comments about 'dillo meat as table fare. All those who have actually tried it said it was like very fine-grained pork and delicious.
Gary, thank you for that recipe. I will try one way or another, with 'dillo or pork.

gwpercle
02-02-2024, 02:37 PM
My grandfather was a Blacksmith who harvested so many armadillo's that he made curved knives to get the meat from the curved shell . I asked my Mom if they ate many during that "great Depression " and I quote ... " ... if it wasn't for the plentiful armadillo's , few rabbits and raccoons Daddy killed , we would have starved slap to death !" Mom always called them Hoover Hogs ...I have ... prepared and consumed probably half a dozen , always cooked them well and washed up after handling .
So far no one in our family , or anyone I know , has contracted Hansen's ...
The CDC says the contracting risk is very low ... so wash up and cook meat well done !

Armadillo ... The Other Other White Meat !... Heck Yeah :drinks:
Gary

Charlie Horse
02-02-2024, 04:02 PM
"Hansen’s disease does not spread easily from person to person. You cannot get leprosy through casual contact such as shaking hands, sitting next to, or talking to someone who has the disease.
Prolonged, close contact with someone with untreated Hansen’s disease over many months is needed to become infected. Around 95% of all people cannot become sick because they are naturally immune.
Leprosy can be cured with antibiotic treatment. Once someone starts treatment for Hansen’s disease, they can no longer spread the disease to other people."

https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/index.html

Looks like the risk of Hansen's is slim to none! Eat Up!

steve urquell
02-02-2024, 10:06 PM
"Hansen’s disease does not spread easily from person to person. You cannot get leprosy through casual contact such as shaking hands, sitting next to, or talking to someone who has the disease.
Prolonged, close contact with someone with untreated Hansen’s disease over many months is needed to become infected. Around 95% of all people cannot become sick because they are naturally immune.
Leprosy can be cured with antibiotic treatment. Once someone starts treatment for Hansen’s disease, they can no longer spread the disease to other people."

https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/index.html

Looks like the risk of Hansen's is slim to none! Eat Up!

In reading about it it does seem more transmissable from armadillos than humans. Read a little more about it.

barnetmill
02-03-2024, 12:13 AM
In reading about it it does seem more transmissable from armadillos than humans. Read a little more about it.

Lately the only armadillos that I see are those that were killed by the dogs and are rotting away. That has just turned me off of them for good lol.

popper
02-09-2024, 08:03 PM
Got one Thursday nite (IR),@ 50 yds with the BO and 135gr FTX, 1st shot hit but it kept moving, 2nd one it stopped. I ran the ATV over there and saw a nice big hole in the side. Gone the next morning. I tried the phone app as a yote caller but the batt died. Fri nite saw a rabbit move by the feeder and later a hog. It kept on moving slow so I hit it (100 yds) but it went into the tree line underbrush. Using a Rattler V2 35/640.

steve urquell
02-09-2024, 09:23 PM
Got one Thursday nite (IR),@ 50 yds with the BO and 135gr FTX, 1st shot hit but it kept moving, 2nd one it stopped. I ran the ATV over there and saw a nice big hole in the side. Gone the next morning. I tried the phone app as a yote caller but the batt died. Fri nite saw a rabbit move by the feeder and later a hog. It kept on moving slow so I hit it (100 yds) but it went into the tree line underbrush. Using a Rattler V2 35/640.

Fun stuff. I got one a week or so ago. AR9 with laser and 128gr MP molds HP. Hit facing me just above the head, exited next to its tail and shot the tip of the tail off. One shot and done.

steve urquell
02-29-2024, 09:34 PM

barnetmill
03-01-2024, 12:46 AM

outdoors: Possum on the half-shell: the amazing armadillo
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
https://www.arkansasonline.com › news › jul › outdoor...
Jul 18, 2010 — The shell is tough, but not hard like a turtle's, being composed of ... This armor covers the animal's shoulders, pelvis, tail and forehead - .

Winger Ed.
03-01-2024, 01:37 AM
Some folks refer to them as a armor plated rat.

Digital Dan
03-01-2024, 05:41 PM
They are a nuisance for sure. My ‘dillo eraser is a T/C carbine chambered for shorts. I use BB caps and they are 100% effective. The neighbors don’t have a clue.

Beast of Burden
03-01-2024, 08:23 PM
Yes, those suckers destroy my lawn looking for grubs. They have made their way to southern Kansas. I have declared war on em. I once shot a triple with my 12 gauge. When I see evidence of activity, I flash my flashlight around if I awake in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. Occasionally I get lucky and spot one.

Winger Ed.
03-01-2024, 08:46 PM
Yes, those suckers destroy my lawn looking for grubs.

A friend of a friend had a weekender house awhile back. It was out in a small East Texas town.
They loved it so much, and they'd come in sometimes on a Friday night and their flower beds and yard looked
like some sort of earth moving, heavy equipment had plowed through it.

But they really enjoyed all the wild life, and seeing a armadillo once--- 'Oh, look at them, they're so cute,,,,,'.
One night they came in and saw what was tearing up all their landscaping.
All of a sudden, the armadillo went from 'Oh they're so cute' to----- 'SHOOT THE DEVIL!!!'.

steve urquell
03-01-2024, 10:49 PM
I walked my fields tonight at 8PM. No dillos in sight. I did find a burrow. Hard to see the size in pics but about 8" diameter and the initial drop down is enough for a cow to break a leg stepping in.

steve urquell
03-02-2024, 11:10 PM
I busted one tonight. 124gr FP 9mm out of the Foxtrot AR9. Laser sight is perfect for this.

barnetmill
03-08-2024, 02:24 PM
I do not need a gun for armadillos in Florida. Patch kills them dead and I just find usually by smell. It was good size dillo killed by patch, a white english farm bull dog off of Georgia stock.

Electrod47
03-08-2024, 06:03 PM
Good boy Patch....1966 on maneuvers driving my M113 across the broken terrain of Ft. Hood in the summer the weight and noise of the armored carrier would drive them out of their dens running ahead. Having a half dozen running always led to chase.......dang near threw a track a couple times.

silvertip47
03-08-2024, 11:06 PM
In 1957 moved to a farm and ranch in north east Lampasas county, in Texas. That place was covered with rattlesnakes and armadillos. The first year we killed close to 100+ rattlesnakes. On the armadillos we used rocks or hunting knife, flip over and stab in the chest. Sometimes they would get in a shallow hole with the tail sticking, try pulling pulling one out when your 10 years old. The chances are it is not going to happen. Try chasing one going going down hill. After a few years we had a lot more quail.
The place was west of Ft. Hood about 20 miles, when they where shooting the big guns, would think it was a thunderstorm, with lighting.

gwpercle
03-10-2024, 12:29 PM
Eight pages on Armadillo Hunting ...
Hunting them with dogs , rifles , shotguns , rocks , knives and sticks ...
You would think it's a real sport ...
When is the "hunting Season " ... how do you tell the Bucks from the Does ...
What's the bag limit and record size taken ?Gary

barnetmill
03-10-2024, 01:31 PM
Eight pages on Armadillo Hunting ...
Hunting them with dogs , rifles , shotguns , rocks , knives and sticks ...
You would think it's a real sport ...
When is the "hunting Season " ... how do you tell the Bucks from the Does ...
What's the bag limit and record size taken ?Gary

This is not hunting, but more a futile attempt at extermination. I am still amazed that the expanded coyote population can not keep them in check.

Winger Ed.
03-10-2024, 01:43 PM
Unless they can catch a young one, I don't think coyotes are a natural predator on them.

However--- When they are newborn, fire ants may be a threat, but probably not much else.

barnetmill
03-10-2024, 03:57 PM
Unless they can catch a young one, I don't think coyotes are a natural predator on them.

However--- When they are newborn, fire ants may be a threat, but probably not much else.

If my dog can kill them, I would think that coyotes could too. But, the fact is they obviously are not killing any significant number. My dog can easily kill an armadillo, but he has a huge head and tremendously large temporal and masseter jaw muscle, He can open wide enough to apparently get a good grip and crush the critters.

Below is a discussion of this. https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2022/09/16/wildlife-behavior/coyotes-and-armadillos/

https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/JuvenileArmadillo03.jpg

An Armadillo’s armor is effective protection. The plate that wraps over the front part of their torso is meant to protect the animal’s neck, spine, and shoulders. If this had been an adult Armadillo it is unlikely that the attacker would have been able to open its mouth wide enough—or clamp down hard enough—to deliver a severe injury. But because this particularly juvenile Armadillo was still relatively small, the attacker was able to apply a substantial bite to the shoulder/neck area despite the armor plating. The result was significant injury to the Armadillo—but not one that was immediately fatal. It is likely that the Armadillo was still able to thrash, squirm, and uses it sharp claws to effect an escape. Once on the ground, the Armadillo surely made his way to someplace safe before the predator could re-engage—Armadillos can be quite quick when they need to be.

There was no sign of a struggle near the body of the Armadillo. No canine tracks on the soft soil of the beach. That suggests that the attack did not take place at the spot where the carcass was found. Instead the Armadillo had likely made his way to the shore some time after the Coyote had given up the chase and moved on. By the time the Armadillo wandered to the water’s edge, the severity of his injuries finally caught up with him and he could go no further.

For Coyotes, not every hunt is successful—not even for a well seasoned hunter. And it seems that Armadillos may be a particularly tricky prey animal to subdue. I’ve recorded instances of Coyotes having similar difficulties with Armadillos in the past. The Armadillo’s armored plate ain’t just for looks—it actually works! Refer to the trail camera sequence below which illustrates a Coyote briefly capturing, and then promptly losing, an adult Armadillo.

Winger Ed.
03-10-2024, 05:07 PM
Their shell is kind of slippery.
Maybe a coyote can't get a good grip on it.
If they can flip one over, they've got some pretty strong landing gear to kick and tear with too.

barnetmill
03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Their shell is kind of slippery.
Maybe a coyote can't get a good grip on it.
If they can flip one over, they've got some pretty strong landing gear to kick and tear with too.
The first my pup killed he got a pretty good tear type wound over the face that got infected. The same kinds of wounds from killing a cat and raccoon. Since then, no visible injuries from killing any critter. Some appear to have their necks broken and he often kills armadillos while they are trying to bury themselves and find them mostly buried and dead. He has become an efficient executioner of four legged intruders.

gwpercle
03-10-2024, 05:54 PM
This is not hunting, but more a futile attempt at extermination. I am still amazed that the expanded coyote population can not keep them in check.

Like !
Extermination ... Yeah that's the term I was missing ...

Concerning Armadillo's ... Does anyone know how to tell the males (Bucks) from the females (Does) , I mean just by looking at them ...?

About two weeks ago a coyote was photographed on the street I live on ...
I haven't seen any Armadillo's in the area ...so maybe the coyote is doing his job in this old Baton Rouge subdivision . The wildlife around here is amazing ... Hawks , Cedar Waxwings , Mississippi Kites even a family of foxes lives around here . The Raccoons and Possums are just big nuisance's ...

Gary

barnetmill
03-10-2024, 06:34 PM
Like !

Concerning Armadillo's ... Does anyone know how to tell the males (Bucks) from the females (Does) , I mean just by looking at them ...?

I haven't seen any Armadillo's in the area ...so maybe the coyote is doing his job in this old Baton Rouge subdivision . The wildlife around here is amazing ... Hawks , Cedar Waxwings , Mississippi Kites even a family of foxes lives around here . The Raccoons and Possums are just big nuisance's ...

Gary
In some places coyotes are getting bigger due to genes from wolves and domestic dogs and also evolution. Maybe your coyotes are bigger and better able to crush an armadillo.

steve urquell
03-10-2024, 06:51 PM
I have an abundant supply of coyotes. They must not be an effective predator of armadillos. I have killed 25+ armadillos on my property. The shells end up being inedible and stay on the ground for at least 2 years here. The ones I have killed end up being eaten by buzzards, dogs and coyotes with the shells nearby.

I have never seen an armadillo shell of one that I have not killed and I roam my 24 acres weekly.

Charlie Horse
03-11-2024, 10:21 AM
They are a nuisance for sure. My ‘dillo eraser is a T/C carbine chambered for shorts. I use BB caps and they are 100% effective. The neighbors don’t have a clue.

I wish I could find a TC barrel chambered for shorts. What length is yours? Would a 14" be quiet, do you think?

barnetmill
03-11-2024, 10:39 AM
Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Like !

Gary

In some places coyotes are getting bigger due to genes from wolves and domestic dogs and also evolution. Maybe your coyotes are bigger and better able to crush an armadillo.

Been doing some more thinking. The armadillos started spreading to the Southeastern USA about the time that the red wolf and the Mexican wolf was being decimated. They are bigger than normal southwestern coyotes and likely they have big enough jaws to kill armadillos. The Mexican wolf has been reintroduced into some locales, but that is in the southwest mainly. Will not do the rest of the southern USA and points north a lot of help at the moment. At one time those areas also had jaguars that surely are capable of killing armadillos. Cougars and black bears I am sure can do it also. Maybe bears and big cats just do not care much for them.

steve urquell
03-30-2024, 10:12 PM

dallasfinch5@gmail.com
05-14-2024, 07:01 PM
Here out side of Sullivan, MO I use .22 LR CCI Segmented rounds. Very effective on armadillos!

barnetmill
05-14-2024, 07:49 PM
Here out side of Sullivan, MO I use .22 LR CCI Segmented rounds. Very effective on armadillos!

That is very far north for an armadillo. Winters can get below 0F that far north. I did some quick searching and they are blaming climate change for armadillos going far north. A 1 or 2 degree increase in temperature allowing them withstand subzero temps. I wonder. They use burrows and do enter a torpor that is said not to be hibernation.

barnetmill
05-14-2024, 07:51 PM
I have an abundant supply of coyotes. They must not be an effective predator of armadillos. I have killed 25+ armadillos on my property. The shells end up being inedible and stay on the ground for at least 2 years here. The ones I have killed end up being eaten by buzzards, dogs and coyotes with the shells nearby.

I have never seen an armadillo shell of one that I have not killed and I roam my 24 acres weekly.

My dogs will snack on armadillo shells if I let them.

steve urquell
05-14-2024, 08:17 PM
That is very far north for an armadillo. Winters can get below 0F that far north. I did some quick searching and they are blaming climate change for armadillos going far north. A 1 or 2 degree increase in temperature allowing them withstand subzero temps. I wonder. They use burrows and do enter a torpor that is said not to be hibernation.

They are getting huge in NW Arkansas and I have seen them foraging in sub-freezing weather here over the last few years. I think they are packing on body fat to combat the cold. This is a relatively new development here. I don't think the current info on what they do or where they have migrated to is accurate/up to date.

barnetmill
05-14-2024, 09:27 PM
They are getting huge in NW Arkansas and I have seen them foraging in sub-freezing weather here over the last few years. I think they are packing on body fat to combat the cold. This is a relatively new development here. I don't think the current info on what they do or where they have migrated to is accurate/up to date.

That is what I was wondering if they are doing things that the 'experts' are not predicting.

steve urquell
05-14-2024, 10:12 PM
That is what I was wondering if they are doing things that the 'experts' are not predicting.

They definitely are. I have seen one develop a heightened sense of awareness. It could tell I was coming from 50yds away and would take off running at dog speed. First time I saw it happen I walked away thinking maybe it wasn't a dillo.

He eluded me for a year until one night I was walking along the top of a holler, heard leaves rustling down below, stopped dead still and waited until it walked up.

barnetmill
05-14-2024, 10:19 PM
They definitely are. I have seen one develop a heightened sense of awareness. It could tell I was coming from 50yds away and would take off running at dog speed. First time I saw it happen I walked away thinking maybe it wasn't a dillo.

He eluded me for a year until one night I was walking along the top of a holler, heard leaves rustling down below, stopped dead still and waited until it walked up.
I bet that dillos can sense ground vibrations very well and now know what people sound like when they are walking.

steve urquell
05-14-2024, 10:22 PM
I bet that dillos can sense ground vibrations very well and now know what people sound like when they are walking.

That was my thought as well. Luckily this was the only one of 25 or more I've killed that has done this. Makes me wonder if it was one I had shot at and hit poorly that got away.

alfadan
05-14-2024, 10:32 PM
Ground has been so dry the grubs must be way down cause they are digging HUGE deep holes.

barnetmill
05-14-2024, 10:38 PM

What I am worried about are the pythons and their cold tolerance. So far they are way in the south of Florida. And I hope it stays that way.

gwpercle
05-17-2024, 01:19 PM

Just How Huge are they getting ???

In Louisiana I have seen ( harvested ) them 12-15 pounds and length is about 30 inches overall ... body and tail ... full grown adult ...
20 " body - 10" tail ... Large house cat or possum size ... most are usually younger and smaller .

So just how Big are they where you are ?
Gary

steve urquell
05-17-2024, 01:33 PM
Just How Huge are they getting ???

In Louisiana I have seen ( harvested ) them 12-15 pounds and length is about 30 inches overall ... body and tail ... full grown adult ...
20 " body - 10" tail ... Large house cat or possum size ... most are usually younger and smaller .

So just how Big are they where you are ?
Gary

I have killed a few that hung over my 11" wide shovel 11" on each side not counting the tail and as big as a basketball in diameter. Estimated 30lbs. I carried one that big ~75 yds to my holler after unloading 12rds of .22LR into it to kill it. I stopped using .22 as it is not enough for these big dillos.

I also quit trying to carry them in my shovel since that last one had more body out of the shovel than in it and I kept dropping it. Back and arms sore for a week after as well. Now I grab the tractor and haul them in the loader.

I can't help but laugh when people post about killing them with CB caps or .22. My dillos shrug that off. The one I posted about above had 10rds in it and was on it's back flailing around bleeding everywhere when I put it down with a heart shot. .22 is not humane on my big dillos.

alfadan
05-17-2024, 09:54 PM
I'd sure like to try my .22mag on one. Should be good medicine.

steve urquell
05-17-2024, 10:06 PM
I'd sure like to try my .22mag on one. Should be good medicine.

After the .22LR fiasco I shot 2 with my .22mag. One from the back with Maxi Mag HPs. The bullet shattered on the haunch and I had to put it down with another bullet.

I bought Maxi Mag solids and they would shoot thru and thru. I was OK with them but switched to 9mm and haven't looked back.

steve urquell
05-19-2024, 09:25 PM
I was in my lower field today on the tractor and found this along the way.

Got the Diller Killer ready to go at dusk.