PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Mountain Farm

braddock
09-19-2023, 07:09 AM
About 50 odd years ago I was employed in the Merchant Marine as a marine engineer, used to do 6 months on then 3 months off, pro rata of course. I used to take my leave to coincide with the shooting season so had plenty time to indulge myself. I used to do 9 months on a ship then at least 4.5 months off.
My big game back in those days was the mountain hares that used to thrive on the hills and mountain tops in my area of Wales.
This particular day I called into an old farm at the side of a steep hill near a place called Sennybridge and was greeted by the farmer, his wife and son who was about my age.
They invited me into their home and if you've ever seen John Wayne's film the Quiet Man you'd recognise the cottage immediately.
They offered me breakfast and wouldn't take no for an answer. Farmers wife cut two big rashers off of a cured ham hanging off the beams and fried them with eggs, home made black pudding and field mushrooms - I remember that meal as if it were yesterday.
The old man and his wife spoke welsh as their first language and were very rusty at English but the son spoke English well, my welsh was rudimentary but eventually we managed to communicate and they agreed I could shoot their ground. I had a rem 1100 for my gun, the old farmer had never seen a gun like it, they ran sheep on the farm with just a large kitchen garden for veggies and a few pigs and a cow for milk plus a couple of the most vicious welsh collies as sheepdogs, my bitch was in season so that took the dogs minds off of my legs.
I spent the next 5 or six hours still hunting and got 3 hares for my trouble, plus many pigeons and culled quite a few crows. Two of the hares and most of the pigeons I left with the farm and they tried to make me stay for evening meal but I was fresh married and the call was greater than my hunger pangs, if you get my drift.
They asked me to return any time but my job changed and I moved to the other end of the country and never went back.
There was a stream running down through the property that had cut deep into the hillside and had so many mature trees growing along its banks, whenever I get homesick for Wales I think of that farm and the welcome they gave me and it's one of my greatest regrets that I didn't go back.

MrWolf
09-19-2023, 07:12 AM
Nice story and great imagery. Thanks for that.
Ron

Rapier
09-19-2023, 08:08 AM
A good friend, a ballistics engineer, was stationed in the US Navy, on the coast of Whales and Scotland. Talked many times about hunting hares on the farms and estates of the area. He had a set of dies to reload the 22 LR cases and a Win Low Wall chambered for the reloaded 22 LR, that was 40 years ago. I would imagine that half the population in the SE US is related to a Jones or a Davis.

versa-06
09-19-2023, 08:24 AM
Great Story. And it's always good to hear about good people. -06

braddock
09-19-2023, 09:48 AM
I don't know if it's good to reminisce or not but the hares are all but gone now, don't know why or how. When I go back it's rare to see a one whereas in my youth I'd maybe see a dozen a day.
Wouldn't shoot them now but back then the strong flavor was a favorite of mine.
Forgot to say, to contact the farmers you had to call virtually at daybreak otherwise they weren't around. To get to that place was a 2 hour drive for me in an old Ford van so 3 am wake ups were the rule of thumb.

JoeJames
09-19-2023, 11:04 AM
A good friend, a ballistics engineer, was stationed in the US Navy, on the coast of Whales and Scotland. Talked many times about hunting hares on the farms and estates of the area. He had a set of dies to reload the 22 LR cases and a Win Low Wall chambered for the reloaded 22 LR, that was 40 years ago. I would imagine that half the population in the SE US is related to a Jones or a Davis.Don't forget my James clan. I have been to the UK twice, but never made it to Wales. I always figured that once I got there, I'd understand why my clan left Wales. But the OP's post makes it very interesting.

braddock
09-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Joe, there's an old saying "you can take the man out of Wales but you can't take Wales out of the man".
The Welsh blue collar workers weren't treated very well by our government during the depression and this resulted in a mass exodus for many.

JoeJames
09-19-2023, 02:51 PM
Joe, there's an old saying "you can take the man out of Wales but you can't take Wales out of the man".
The Welsh blue collar workers weren't treated very well by our government during the depression and this resulted in a mass exodus for many.I think my branch left in the mid 1600's to Maryland; then Tennessee, then Arkansas. Always been upland hill farmers.