PDA

View Full Version : WAAGE pot

Avery Arms
02-13-2009, 03:43 AM
I purchased a 20-30lb? WAAGE melting pot full of solder, but the pot is only good for 550 degrees:roll:

Does such a pot have any use for bullet casting or should I just put it on evilbay after I get the solder out?

PP

Bret4207
02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Google Waage and give them a call. They may be able to tell you how to up the temp. I'm pretty sure those controls are adjustable. Are you sure it isn't a 550 WATT pot? Is there a tag that says it only goes to 550 degrees? If so I bet it can be altered.

Worst case- put it in the sale area here. Waage is about the Rolls-Royce of pots.

Bullshop
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
What ya want for it?
BIC/BS

montana_charlie
02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
It's probably intended for dip soldering, and only set up to get hot enough for that.
Will it melt the solder that is currently in it? If it won't do that, it's probably not worth messing with.

If it WILL melt the solder, put your thermometer in, and try to adjust the temperature this way...

- Turn the adjustment knob to '7' on the scale.
- Remove the knob without turning the shaft it mounts on.
- Holding the shaft (with needlenose pliers) to prevent turning off of the original setting, turn the tiny screw inside the shaft a quarter turn with small straight-tip screwdriver.
- Wait to see what the thermometer says after the temperature has time to change.

Now that you know which way to turn the screw, set the thermostat so the melt reaches 700 degrees with the knob set at '7'.

If you run out of adjustment before you get it hot enough, that pot won't do the job for you.
If there is no screw inside the shaft, you're (again) out of luck...
CM

mpmarty
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
You could also do a PID and bypass the pots thermostat entirely. Do a search on PID here and you will find out the details. Here is an example:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45733&highlight=PID