PDA

View Full Version : Colt Walker Reproductions?

Cessnapilot89
09-18-2023, 04:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Saw a Cimarron Colt Walker reproduction at a local show yesterday that piqued my interest. What should I look out for in one of these?

Chill Wills
09-18-2023, 05:05 PM
The loading lever falling down at every shot!

Cessnapilot89
09-18-2023, 05:22 PM
That seems problematic

HWooldridge
09-18-2023, 06:17 PM
Somebody out there is selling a little sheet metal gizzy that looks like a double “c”. Sorta like, cC - the big clip goes over the barrel and the small one holds the rammer lever. Looks like a pretty ingenious solution to an age old problem.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2023, 06:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Saw a Cimarron Colt Walker reproduction at a local show yesterday that piqued my interest. What should I look out for in one of these?
A gunbearer to carry it for you.

They were known as horse pistols in the eighteenth century for a reason.

My ASM replica also dropped the loading lever quite frequently.

Robert

jimb16
09-18-2023, 07:47 PM
I have an earlier reproduction and I can tell you that they are heavy as he**. Falling rammers is a common fault. I use rubber bands, but a "C clip" holder is a great idea and would be easy to make. Believe it though when they call them hand cannons! BTW you want a .454 RB for them and not the usual .445.

Chill Wills
09-18-2023, 09:55 PM
I have never been even close to an original Colt Walker much less shot one, BUT, Colt must have had a better retaining notch than the repo's! The Texan's could never have used them to any effect if they had to say "time out" my loading lever fell down!

alfadan
09-18-2023, 11:00 PM
I think the dropping lever was common back then too. They used a leather strap to hold them up.
Even pausing to latch it was better than a single shot pistol!

ascast
09-18-2023, 11:48 PM
loading lever fix ---Dragoon

Jackrabbit1957
09-19-2023, 10:22 AM
If you're gonna go with one there are several things to consider, any new Walkers are made by Uberti, regardless of who imported them. It's very important to fix the short arbor problem so the pistol doesn't try to self destruct. Uberti internal parts are neatly fitted and finished, it's like they started to tune the gun and stopped halfway through. The loading lever problem can be fixed with a few strokes of a file in the right place. I have fixed a few of them and I have 2 ASM Walkers that don't drop the lever and are tuned. Both are great shooters. Yes they are big heavy guns but you get 6 shots of basically a 45 rifle load in one gun. They are capable of 60 grns of powder per hole.

dogrunner
09-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Suspenders.......wide and strong!

murf205
09-19-2023, 03:30 PM
Suspenders.......wide and strong!

Kinda like a long cylinder BFR!

Harter66
09-19-2023, 03:41 PM
loading lever fix ---Dragoon

Go full tilt or even close ....... the ASM I have will drop it too . Usually about the 3rd or 4th shot .

Nobade
09-20-2023, 03:55 AM
If you're gonna go with one there are several things to consider, any new Walkers are made by Uberti, regardless of who imported them. It's very important to fix the short arbor problem so the pistol doesn't try to self destruct. Uberti internal parts are neatly fitted and finished, it's like they started to tune the gun and stopped halfway through. The loading lever problem can be fixed with a few strokes of a file in the right place. I have fixed a few of them and I have 2 ASM Walkers that don't drop the lever and are tuned. Both are great shooters. Yes they are big heavy guns but you get 6 shots of basically a 45 rifle load in one gun. They are capable of 60 grns of powder per hole.

Yes, the same thing I ran into. A friend bought a new Uberti one and ut wouldn't even work out of the box. I made a shim for the arbor, fitted the wedge, slicked up the internals a bit, and it turned out to be a very nice, accurate revolver. They are worth having but should be looked at as more of a kit than something usable right out of the box.

eastbank
09-20-2023, 05:27 AM
get the second model, falling loading lever fixed and barrel shortened, along with better cylinder locking notches, i love mine. i have a first model too, but i fire it very little.

Cessnapilot89
09-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys! You all are the best! Now to actually find one.

bedbugbilly
09-20-2023, 09:43 AM
I picked up a Uberti Walker from a fellow that was unfired NIB a few years back. It was just fine out of the box - crisp clean action, etc. A big change from the '51 Navies I've been shooting for 60 years. I knew about the dropping loading lever issues before I got it - I sold it to a fellow who wanted it before I had a chance to shoot it. I then bought a 3rd Model Dragoon - IMHO a great revolver - still a heavy .44 like a Walker but with marked improvements.

The Walker is truly interesting historical though - years ago, I had the chance to handle an original one that was privately owned. A big improvement over a single shot pistol, but what a heavy hunk of iron - even if in a saddle holster.

Good Cheer
09-22-2023, 09:02 PM
Try something like the Lyman #45266 or the RCBS #45-225-CAV and see if the longer recoil impulse will keep your lever up. It worked that way with my Uberti and made me wonder if maybe the original bullets for the Walker and the necessarily reduced powder charge mite have done the same in the Colt made revolvers.

Battis
09-23-2023, 10:49 AM
One winter, I was firing my Uberti Walker at the range, and it was setting off car alarms. It also knocked the snow off the metal roof at the range. One guy came over to see what was making all the noise.
We went to the James Julia auction in Maine once, and they had an original Walker for sale. They let us handle it, gloveless. I have some pics somewhere. I think it sold for $700,000, or thereabouts.
Didn't Gus carry one in Lonesome Dove?
I used a leather loop to keep the lever up.

StrawHat
09-24-2023, 08:09 AM
The spring that holds the loading lever in place has a notch in it. The base of the notch needs to be squared up. One or two strokes with a fine toothed file should do it. Do NOT overdo the filing or the loading lever will never come down, even when you try to pull it.

Kevin

Cessnapilot89
09-25-2023, 08:32 AM
Thank you!

bedbugbilly
09-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Good Cheer - sounds like your experimenting paid off and you could very well be on to something. Eras Gone carries a mold for a heeled conical for the Walker that I believe is supposed to be a close copy of an original design. I have his various molds for .36 & .44 C & B as well as his Smith Carbine mold - all fun to shoot. When I bought the Walker I had, I bought one of the Eras Gone Walker molds, but haven't used it yet - plan on casting some when we get back to AZ for the winter. I plan on trying them in my Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon.

I think that because of the size of the Walker, the history, etc. that a lot of folks have a tendency to load them up pretty heavy - I got rid of mine, but it would be interesting if someone experimented wit various powder loads as well as various boolit weights to see if there is a correlation between those things and the loading lever drop - maybe someone has and I've never seen it, but what you point out is interesting.

Cessnapilot89
10-13-2023, 05:26 PM
Mine should be arriving tomorrow! Looking forward to trying it out next weekend.

Cessnapilot89
10-18-2023, 10:39 AM
That was the most fun I have ever had shooting a pistol. Loud, smokey, accurate and gentle recoil. 50gr of Goex FFg.
I did have the loading lever flop down once.

Rockindaddy
10-18-2023, 12:12 PM
I like the file trick on the loading lever spring. Will try it! Have a Navy Arms pilot model that ole' Val Forgett sold me for $75 !!!! The gun was in the white and unfinished. But the cylinder had the COLT'S PATENT markings on it just like the originals! The barrel has the Colt address on it too. I carefully hand finished the gun and finished trimming and sanding the grips too. Still have the gun and a leather shoulder cross-draw holster. Someday when I grow up I plan to bang Bambi with it. Thanks for the loading lever fix tip!!!