PDA

View Full Version : Priming Tool Recommendation

Tatume
09-17-2023, 03:18 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm getting tired of priming hundreds of cases every month with a hand priming tool. I'm looking for recommendations on bench-mounted priming tools.

Thanks, Tom

dale2242
09-17-2023, 03:46 PM
RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool.
I have tried a lot of different priming tools in my 50+ years of reloading.
This one is the best by far in my opinion.

15meter
09-17-2023, 03:51 PM
I've got the RCBS, other than the primer tube moving back and forth, I like it alot.

I've used two versions of Lee hand primers, an RCBS hand primer, Lee ram prime(piece of junk) and several iterations of on-press dohickies.

I'll stick with the RCBS Bench Primer.

Larry Gibson
09-17-2023, 03:56 PM

Plus another for the RCBS......

PopcornSutton
09-17-2023, 04:13 PM
I still use a round tray LEE. I load at the range/match often, so a handheld is it. Plus I hate picking one primer at a time. so I have kept the old LEE going.

JimB..
09-17-2023, 04:51 PM
RCBS universal bench primer.

I bet there is one for sale right here https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?460181-Dillon-450-parts-RCBS-priming-Vintage-powder-drops

georgerkahn
09-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm getting tired of priming hundreds of cases every month with a hand priming tool. I'm looking for recommendations on bench-mounted priming tools.

Thanks, Tom

Yours is not the first query vis what to purchase. Do a search on this forum, and you will find many. :) As I responded to this question, my answer is the same: The RCBS 9460 Bench Mounted primer tool. 318034 I have/use THREE of these. One has the larger primer tube; the second has the small-size primer tube; and, the third has a few updates by Darryl Holland. (Holland Shooting Supply: https://www.hollandguns.com/m7/H-PPS-CU--hollands-perfect-primer-seater-complete-unit.html) 318035 Holland's unit, bought total, runs about $340.00 USD, but you can purchase (as I did) JUST the add-ons to a plain-Jane RCBS 9460. You can view the RCBS at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9460-Auto-Priming-Tool/dp/B000NOORXE?th=1.
Often, too, they come up at really affordable prices ;) on both this site's S&S as well as the popular "e" auction site.
Good luck!
geo

15meter
09-17-2023, 06:04 PM
And mount the RCBS at a 30-40 degree angle to the edge of the bench, left or right depending on whether you're the spawn of the devil(left handed) or not. It will make the operation much easier. At least I think so.

sukivel
09-17-2023, 07:21 PM
I’ve seen these, but didn’t realize they were so well liked over the hand priming tools.

I am going to look into one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatume
09-17-2023, 08:55 PM
I'm glad I asked; the choice is clear. Thank you, all.

Kentucky146
09-17-2023, 09:07 PM
Well LEE Challenger Press I prime on press at belling stage of my brass. I batch style do sizing/decapping then later do a bell and prime, keep stored this way it is ready when I want to drop my powder and seat my bullet

35 Rem
09-19-2023, 03:41 PM
I just now ordered the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. There is a Rebate offered that gets you $25 back through 20 September so better act fast if you want to take advantage of that. I've used either the press or an old RCBS hand tool for 45 years and would like something faster and easier to use. All these positive endorsements got me off the fence to buy something better. I ordered mine from MidwayUSA by the way.

schutzen-jager
09-19-2023, 05:06 PM
I still use a round tray LEE. I load at the range/match often, so a handheld is it. Plus I hate picking one primer at a time. so I have kept the old LEE going.

i concur - been using mine since they came out + i bought a few spares at yard sales to last me !

Bird
09-19-2023, 05:15 PM
I am using the old Lee hand held round primer tray tool. What is so bad about their newer version?

Land Owner
09-20-2023, 06:33 AM
Yes, RCBS Universal Priming Tool

Comes like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/gkZM5RKN/RCBS_UNIV_PRIMING_TOOL.jpg

With slight DIY modifications, look now like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/yxGxpWHm/RCBS-Universal-Priming-Tool-Modified.jpg

Mounted to Pat Marlin ShelfDock. Added spring and string to return lever arm to its full upright position, rather than hand wringing the lever in both directions (tiring). Added cushioning of the lever arm as thousands of up - downs wears on the palm of the hand.

Shawlerbrook
09-20-2023, 06:38 AM
I just add my late vote for the RCBS Bench priming tool.

mdi
09-20-2023, 12:03 PM
Odd that nobody mentioned that the RCBS cannot be used right out of the box. The tool must have a 3" riser or have the handle 8" over the edge of the bench or the handle bottoms out on the bench top before a primer can be seated. I do not need an intrusive piece of 3/8"x 1" handle jutting 8" over the edge of the bench to snag my old body on (yeah, I'm an advanced senior). I can live with a tube wobbling back and forth in front of my face, but don't particularly care for it, distracting. Yes I have one and occasionally use it, but mine doesn't seat 100% positively. (before anyone calls me fumble fingered, ignorant; I have been a machinist mechanic for over 55 years and have worked with hand tools since the age of 11 with my mechanic father so I do know how to work with hand and power tools.). If this tool were painted red and had L** on the side the complaints would be endless.

The best but not the fastest priming tool is a ram prime. I have used one for over 33 years and have had zero FTF from improper priming on all my handgun and rifle handloads, large and small, standard and magnum...

deces
09-20-2023, 12:22 PM
I am using the old Lee hand held round primer tray tool. What is so bad about their newer version?

Some people don't like change. The new one is easier to transfer the primers to the tray and has a feed off switch. Pretty nice if you ask me.

deces
09-20-2023, 12:24 PM
Le probably has the fastest priming system in the reloading game, with the New Deluxe APP.

Tatume
09-20-2023, 02:56 PM
Odd that nobody mentioned that the RCBS cannot be used right out of the box. The tool must have a 3" riser or have the handle 8" over the edge of the bench or the handle bottoms out on the bench top before a primer can be seated.

Not a problem. My workbench has a 12" Moxon vice. A block of wood with a mortise and tenon on the bottom can be clamped in the vice. The tool mounts on the top. When not in use it can be stored elsewhere.

Tatume
09-20-2023, 02:57 PM
Le probably has the fastest priming system in the reloading game, with the New Deluxe APP.

Very interesting. Have you used yours for awhile? Does it appear that it will hold up in the long run?

racepres
09-20-2023, 05:38 PM
Very interesting. Have you used yours for awhile? Does it appear that it will hold up in the long run?

I have Not needed a New one so IDK...I got a Lee auto prime II back about time they first hit the Market...some time ago...
has Not Failed!!!
BTW, I have 4 trays with feeders.. quick to Change Cartridges, primer sizes etc!! I even leave some trays filled and marked with a piece of scotch tape!
Edit; I suspect I would appreciate Any brand that utilized Regular Shell Holders...like the Lee...

deces
09-20-2023, 07:18 PM

Ive use it some. I like it.

https://youtu.be/wlSXYdyhHYY

dale2242
09-21-2023, 08:12 AM
Mount the RCBS priming tool at the edge of your bench and you do not need a riser.

charlie b
09-21-2023, 08:22 AM
Noticed issue with those triangle feed trays. The Loadmaster has a couple 'bumps' on it made to 'jiggle' the tray on every stroke. Every now and then the lock thingy still causes a jam up. I kinda wish I had kept my old round feed trays.

Most of the time Lee stuff works well, but, other times they need a 'fix'. Which is why I converted my Loadmaster to manually seat the primers. It now works kinda like a bench mounted primer.

Bigslug
09-21-2023, 08:52 AM
The RCBS with the rocking primer tube has been the best for preventing wear and tear on your hands that I've come across. My Dad has had a number of arthritis-related surgeries and he purchased it for that reason. Good leverage and positive seating.

racepres
09-21-2023, 08:58 AM
The RCBS with the rocking primer tube has been the best for preventing wear and tear on your hands that I've come across. My Dad has had a number of arthritis-related surgeries and he purchased it for that reason. Good leverage and positive seating.
I too have some serious arthritis..The Lee Auto-Prime II, again...I mount mine in one of their inexpensive Presses...and leave it there, long as I can get ahold of the cases (32ACP's can be challenging) all is good

lightman
09-21-2023, 11:56 AM
As you have noticed, the RCBS bench tool is a favorite. Its kind of funny but I prefer to use a hand primer. But whatever works for you is good, to each his own I say!

Shawlerbrook
09-21-2023, 01:32 PM
Although I voted for the RCBS and still find it best for me it seems like they all have their shortcomings.

murf205
09-21-2023, 04:51 PM
Another vote for the RCBS bench tool. I use vise grip clamp to attach mine and I get the angle like I want. Mine is 50 yrs old and I've never needed anything else.

The Dar
09-21-2023, 08:09 PM
For those considering the RCBS bench priming tool (great tool) don't forget to also buy a primer flip tray.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012933152?pid=466211

gloob
09-22-2023, 12:37 AM
I like priming with a Lee Breechlock Challenger press. Nothing automatic. I use a flip tray and put the primers in one at a time, by hand. It puts the primers in with feel rather than a generic stop-point, so you get perfect priming even in mixed brass.

It might sound slow, but I get to size pistol cases simultaneously as priming. (For rifle, I generally expand while priming). So it's two birds with one stone. The Breechlock is great for this because you can put the primers in from one side while putting the cases in from the other. And the lever is adjustable. You can set it low enough so you can squeeze the primer in with your fingers wrapped around the frame of the press, ball of lever in your palm.

If you use a progressive for pistol ammo (but don't like the jamming or subpar priming consistency of a progressive), pre-sizing the cases in addition to pre-priming will take out a lot of the lever force.

murf205
09-22-2023, 08:14 AM
When I load straight walled cases that must be belled slightly, I prime on my Rock Chucker. Might as well, then I can eliminate the additional step. If I have time, I prime and bell a bunch of cases at a time and put them into Zip-Loc bags marked "Ready".

1Hawkeye
09-24-2023, 12:17 AM
Iv'e been paying attention to this thread. I started back in the 80's with a lee hand held but got tired of replacing the links so I got a rcbs bench priming tool and it worked great but when rcbs came out with a hand held priming tool with a tray I got rid of the bench unit for one. Now Iv'e worn out the hand primer and am thinking about going back to the bench unit but can't make up my mind. If I could get through to rcbs I'd probably get the parts to repair the hand unit but there robo phone system is a nightmare.

gloob
09-24-2023, 12:57 AM
I threw my Lee hand primers in the trash after figuring out how to adjust my Breechlock Challenger lever shorter to squeeze frame and lever together. Gives the perfect leverage and great feel, not tiring or painful. No fiddling, at all.

1. Put case in shellholder with left hand, primer in the cup with my right hand.
2. Pull lever down to [size + decap or to expand] the case.
3. Push lever up, wrapping fingertips around the front of the frame to squeeze primer in, feeling for when it bottoms out and giving a little bit extra force.
4. Drop lever a little ways, so that the now empty primer arm sticks out, ready to load. Take out primed case. With lever set short, it is counterbalanced with the extra lever length sticking out the back. So the lever stays here, rather than falling down due to gravity.

Spent primer system is convenient and 99.5% reliable, out the gate.

Can't have too many SS presses. Entire press is cheaper than an RCBS bench primer.

On the rare occasion that a primer gets started into a crimped pocket, it's easy to feel it before the primer gets squished. If you're sizing/decapping, just run it up again and you can catch the good primer out the slot as it ejects, before it falls into the spent primer hole. If expanding, just get a little decapping rod and do it manually.

I'm sure priming tubes can speed things up if you reload in big lots. But I rarely want to prime tons of cases in advance. Primers are too expensive!

deces
09-24-2023, 01:12 AM
Last night I primed 200 pieces of brass on the Lee Deluxe APP, took maybe 15-20 min. once I got organized.

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2023, 05:52 AM
ive used about all of them. my favorite is one that surprised me. i like the old lee hand primer but wore out many of them and was down to my last one when i saw the new Frankfort arsenal hand primer on midway. thought it would be a good replacement fot the lee. surprised the hell out of me when it came. it is a seriouly stout unit that i doubt youd ever break or wear out and it works as good or better then the lee. buy one you wont regret it

flgolfer29
09-24-2023, 09:20 AM
I'm sure the OP's made a decision, but I'll add this. Lee bench prime fitted with an RCBS primer tray.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230924/a7b91f207262f0748e532a79c306b444.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230924/eb06ea850f22a942bcdf4c1f3616ad23.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

dondiego
09-24-2023, 11:33 AM
I have the Lee Auto Bench Prime and like it. Will that RCBS primer tray fit the Lee without any modifications?

flgolfer29
09-24-2023, 12:01 PM
I have the Lee Auto Bench Prime and like it. Will that RCBS primer tray fit the Lee without any modifications?Slight modification needed, I followed someone else's idea from a YouTube video. Sand the bottom of the RCBS tray that feeds into the Lee holder. I measured the tray thickness of the Lee tray for a reference, and sanded enough from the RCBS tray, test fitting along the way. I believe I paid 7.50 for the tray on eBay.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230924/0fb21dc44c790ccc25abe1fe38981187.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

dondiego
09-24-2023, 12:31 PM
I am going to try this!

Tatume
09-24-2023, 01:21 PM
I'm sure the OP's made a decision, but I'll add this.

I have, but I haven't made a purchase yet. So I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks, Tom

Green Frog
09-24-2023, 01:59 PM
Tom, priming tool preferences are like shoe preference, some prefer sneakers, some flip flop sandals, and some cowboy boots. I have and fave used several kinds of hand held, a couple of bench type, and some on presses (especially progressives). All work for what they ere intended to do, so it’s a matter of choosing your favorite
Froggie

Tatume
09-24-2023, 02:38 PM
Hi Froggie,

After having loaded probably hundreds of thousands of cartridges over more than four decades, I am in complete agreement with you. In this instance however, my inquiry was "I'm looking for recommendations on bench-mounted priming tools." I'm hand priming my match rifle ammunition and loading on a single stage press. There were numerous candidates that I knew of, and I hope to buy a satisfactory one on my first purchase. I'll never know how many times I've set tools aside to purchase another until I found what I needed. My first choice was the RCBS tool, and my intuition has been confirmed by the collective wisdom of the Castboolits forum.

Thanks everyone! Tom

Super Sneaky Steve
09-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Lee bench prime is cheap and works well. The plastic thingy will after thousands of rounds need replacing, but they are cheap and available.

If I want to go faster I just load up my Lee Progressive 4 stage press with the tube feed and primer but with no other dies. Makes quick work if you have shells that feed well. 9mm feeds well in mine, others not so much.

greybuff
09-27-2023, 12:48 AM
After several hand primers I went with the RCBS 9460 Bench Mounted primer tool with a modified handle. I cut the handle off and than welded it vertical so nothing hangs over the bench. Now instead of pushing down on the handle I pull it towards me.

sukivel
09-27-2023, 10:34 PM
After several hand primers I went with the RCBS 9460 Bench Mounted primer tool with a modified handle. I cut the handle off and than welded it vertical so nothing hangs over the bench. Now instead of pushing down on the handle I pull it towards me.

Vertical handle RCBS bench mounted tool sounds good…

Tatume
10-07-2023, 12:03 PM
ive used about all of them. my favorite is one that surprised me. i like the old lee hand primer but wore out many of them and was down to my last one when i saw the new Frankfort arsenal hand primer on midway. thought it would be a good replacement fot the lee. surprised the hell out of me when it came. it is a seriouly stout unit that i doubt you'd ever break or wear out and it works as good or better then the lee. buy one you wont regret it

As much as I respect the advice given on this forum, I didn't like the RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. I've returned it for a refund. Next I'm going to try the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Priming Tool. It will be here tomorrow.

rogerl7157
10-08-2023, 09:39 AM
I think you will like the Frankford Arsenal hand primer. I bought one last month amd its night amd day better than the old lee i was using.

sukivel
10-08-2023, 10:04 AM
As much as I respect the advice given on this forum, I didn't like the RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. I've returned it for a refund. Next I'm going to try the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Priming Tool. It will be here tomorrow.

What did you not like about it?

racepres
10-08-2023, 10:13 AM

After stating you specifically want a Bench mounted...

Tatume
10-08-2023, 12:15 PM
What did you not like about it?

After stating you specifically want a Bench mounted...

I thought I would like a bench mounted priming tool, and when I tried it I found that I don't.

racepres
10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
I thought I would like a bench mounted priming tool, and when I tried it I found that I don't.
Fair enough..
I too use a hand primer..but, Not as often as my old Auto-Prime II..which is very Rarely Not Mounted on my little Lee Press...

Tatume
10-09-2023, 11:21 AM
The Frankford Arsenal hand primer works like a charm. I'm very pleased with it.

racepres
10-09-2023, 01:22 PM
The Frankford Arsenal hand primer works like a charm. I'm very pleased with it.
Looked at that...Thanks to this thread..maybe I try that...just for Grins!!! And on yer recommendation!!!!

Edit: Nope...Nevermind..I wish to use my Existing shell holders!!!

Tatume
10-09-2023, 01:45 PM
Looked at that...Thanks to this thread..maybe I try that...just for Grins!!! And on yer recommendation!!!!

Edit: Nope...Nevermind..I wish to use my Existing shell holders!!!

It comes with shell holders. They look like Lee. I'll go out to my shop and check to see if Lee Auto Prime shell holders fit.

[Later] Yes, the Lee shell holders fit. The bases are thicker, so you would need to run the seating adjustment up. But it's easier to just use the shell holders that come with the tool.

Green Frog
10-12-2023, 10:23 AM
Hey Tat,

I had laid out of this after our first exchange since although I own a couple of bench mounted primer presses, so I had nothing to add. OTOH, if you want to use a great hand tool just for priming cases for bench rest, you could do a lot worse than the Sinclair priming tool offered by Brownell’s. The only reason I don’t use mine is that is just for priming cases and does not deprime them. On the shooting bench for ASSRA I’m using the same case over and over and prefer a single tool that does both, such as the Pope copy by the late Jake Simmons. Best luck with your quest!

Your buddy,
the Frog

Tatume
10-12-2023, 11:00 AM
Hi Froggie,

Yes, the Sinclair does look like a very nice tool, and I've drooled over it several times. They tend to be out of stock, but the reason I've not purchased one is the single primer aspect of the tool. Unlike you, I'm loading hundreds at a time. A typical match is 88 shots (two sighters per 20-shot target times four targets), and I hold ten in reserve in case I need to shoot an alibi. But the Sinclair certainly is a nice looking tool!

Take care, Tom

35 Rem
11-01-2023, 11:04 PM
I finally got around to mounting and using my new RCBS Bench Priming tool. I like it. I primed 350 40 S&W cases in a very short time. For me it has good feel and I can tell when the primer hits the bottom of the pocket better than my old RCBS hand tool. When I feel the primer bottom out I stop and every one of them was the same amount below flush with the case head.

The only negatives I have is a bit "uneven" to use. What I mean is that one stroke of the handle goes further than the other and drops a new primer, the next stroke is shorter and seats the primer. Since every other movement is different in length and purpose it takes some concentration for it to become automatic. I'm sure that will come with time. To do a "Quality" check on myself, I took the time to turn each case over after priming to verify that it did indeed have a primer in it. Even taking time to do that, it took just a fraction of the time it would normally take to prime 350 cases with my old hand tool.

As far as the handle position when seating primers, I don't see a problem with it the way it is. It's about the right distance to where my hand wants to go when standing and I didn't have any discomfort doing 350 at one time. I'm glad you guys had this discussion. :)

Green Frog
11-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Time for an update; Are you getting sassy and happy with your Frankfort Arsenal print unit, or are you still looking? What cases are you priming… something like a 6 PPC or 223?
Froggie

Tatume
11-03-2023, 04:00 PM
Hi Froggie,

Yes, I am happy with the FA hand primer. The cases I'm priming are 7.62 NATO for my match rifle. I only shoot a few hundred per month in the cool weather, but I've primed (and shot) 200 in the few weeks that I've had the tool. This weekend I'll prime a couple of hundred for November and December matches.

I especially like the ease of operation and the adjustment that limits the ram to a predetermined depth.

Thanks, Tom

pworley1
11-03-2023, 04:29 PM

What he said.

Green Frog
11-06-2023, 09:09 AM
Glad it’s working for you, Tatume! I was going to go back to my suggestion of the Sinclair tool shell holders for your cartridge would be available. Somewhere I have one in .308/30-06, etc that I picked up somewhere during my priming tool collecting phase (yes I went through one of those too! :veryconfu )

I really liked the “feel” it gave when seating primers but felt in came up short for my needs because of the relatively limited selection of (proprietary) shell holders and because only primed but didn’t deprime as well. For your application though, I was thinking it could be just your huckleberry. Oh well, I’m glad you’re set now. If you need any more free advice, just holler, but remember it may be worth a little less than you pay for it! [smilie=l:
Your Phriendly ‘Phibian

Tatume
11-06-2023, 01:29 PM
Thanks Froggie!