PDA

View Full Version : Hand press with Lee sizer?

earplug
02-12-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm wondering if any hand reloading presses have been used with the Lee sizer die kit?
I'm hoping to be able to use the Lazy boy and the sizer at the same time.
I have RCBS 2000 press and I don't want to buy a single stage again if not needed.

EDG
02-13-2009, 12:13 AM
The Lee sizer die kit needs to be defined.

The Lee Whack a Mole tool uses a plastic mallet or a small arbor press.

The Standard Lee dies can be used in a hand press if you mean a hand press that accepts threaded dies.

454PB
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
It would probably work if you were sizing .002" or less, but I doubt it would work for much over that. I'm judging by the amount of force required with my bench mount presses, I don't own a hand held.

flounderman
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I have a lee hand press that accepts 7/8 by 14 dies and it has some leverage. it is the only one I have ever seen and don't know if it is still available. flounderman

dromia
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
As 454PB has said it will be OK if you don't want to size down too much, also its fiddly getting boolit in to the die square on the ram when the press is hand held.

bruce drake
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
THe Lee Hand Press works fine with their push-through sizing dies. Do it all the time with my butt parked in my Lazy-Boy.

Secret to keeping bullets square to the die is to cradle the press in the palm of your hand and then to pinch the boolit/gascheck between your thumb and forefinger in line with the nose of the sizing die as the ram is brought up with the other hand. It's actually pretty easy once you get used to the 45 degree angle of the press in your hand that this method requires.

Bruce

TAWILDCATT
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
get the Lee reloader press I use that with lee sizer.
midsouthshooters has it for $24.67 also use it with hornadys lever bullet puller.
:coffee:[smilie=1:

jhalcott
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Wont that big "cup" get in the way?? I might fiddle with my alloy to get bullets that DON'T need sizing. Then I'd use LLA to lube. I'd try to let the case neck seat the checks for me. You wouldn't need an "M" die, just a way to bell the case mouth. This is for BACK PACK hunting ammo.

klausg
02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
The big "cup", (boolit catcher thingy), isn't much of an issue unless you're sizing too much or your alloy is too hard. Then you have to apply quite a bit of "oomph" to the lever and when it finally goes, your hand comes up and smacks the boolit catcher. This is particularily interesting when it is about 3/4 full and your boolits spray all over your living room. Yes, I do have the T-shirt from the above mentioned scenario. [smilie=1:

-Klaus

earplug
02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Great information, I'm currently shooting some unsized .363 bullets 155 grain SWC's out of a .38 SPL. They need a bit of a push to chamber. Other then that they work fine.