PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 Melter leak

Jumping Frog
02-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, I turned on my brand new Lee 4-20 melter last weekend to cast my first ever boolits.

I noticed the seal where the bottom pour spout meets the pot leaks slightly. It leaks enough that I had no knock off the extra lead to be able to lift the pour sout nozzle.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Jumping_Frog/DSCF0219-1.jpg

Is this typical? Should I be trying to get through the phones with Lee for a replacement? Not sure where my expectation level should be set.

donnis
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm fairly new to casting and have the same melter. Mine doesn't leak there and it doesn't seem right to me. I haven't had to return anything under warranty to Lee, but from all accounts I've heard they're very good in that regard. I'd call them to ask for a replacement.

billyb
02-13-2009, 12:57 AM
The leak you have is not normal. The spout is removable,and fairly easy to do. The spout has a nut on the bottem that holds it in place. I would call or email lee and ask for a new spot and nut or pot assembly and fix it myself. Remove all the lead from the pot let it cool and remove the linkage, remove the sheet metal screws and nuts on top and the pot lifts out, might need to wiggle it a little but it comes right out. The reason i would a tempt to fix it is I do not like to pay shipping for defective tools. Bill

Recluse
02-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Not trying to sound overly crass or anything, but have you read the instructions that come with that furnace? The very issue you write about is covered in the info sheet that comes with the furnace. I have one of those, along with a ProMelt, and both of them leak from time to time. It is something you learn to live with in you have a BP furnace.

For the Lee, there is a rod on the top of your furnace with a slotted end. Use a flat-head screwdriver and rotate that rod several times when the pot begins to leak. Most often, it is debris in the melted allow that settles around the spout, inhibiting it from making a solid seal.

Also, do a search on this forum about Lee pots and the things many of us have done to stop/slow the leaking. Many different things you can do.

It's a good furnace. No telling how many hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of pounds of alloy has flowed through mine. I normally use my Lee pot when using the Lee moulds because I can get a higher temp out of it. Older I get, the more I like the Lee moulds--less prep work, and when you're done, let 'em cool then box 'em back up until next time.

:coffee:

billyb
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Recluse ? Look at the picture a little closer and read the words his pot is leaking between the bottom of the pot and the spout. Not the orfice.

Recluse
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
My apologies--picture isn't that clear on my monitor. Saw the drip at the usual place you see on most BP pots.

If it's a manufacture defect, call Lee up and they'll ship you another one out pronto. Or if it was ordered via internet through Midway or MidSouth, call them up and they'll take care of you.

:coffee: