PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Lapua?

Dutchman
09-12-2023, 05:47 AM
It seems most American speakers say La poo'a.
I've heard a native Swedish man prounce Lop'wa.

high standard 40
09-12-2023, 06:21 AM
I have a rifle shooter friend who is sponsored by Lapua and he pronounces it the second way. I'm pretty sure he would be saying it the proper way since he is factory sponsored..

hoodat
09-12-2023, 07:46 AM
Us Muricans pronounce it - luh pooa - jd

Jack Stanley
09-12-2023, 08:37 AM
It seems most American speakers say La poo'a.

They had an ad in one of the gun rags many years ago that agreed with the second way .

Some folk it's hard to educate .

Jack

georgerkahn
09-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Kind of a hobby (???) of mine it to screw up lots of pronunciations -- just for fun. E.g., when I see walkers on upcoming roadside, I advise wife (driver) to "watch out for the "ped-iss-tree-ins" :)), and similar. Days of the week? I vary with Czech, German, and French most prevalent. (Today (Czech) is úterý.)
Anyhoos, Lapua I always pronounce with awe as it is both "the best" (imho -- at least in my .221 Rem Fireball) as well as most costly. My bastardized :) pronunciation is Lap-ooh-wa. I've oft' said, as long as "the other party" knows what I'm saying... the joke is on them!
geo

scattershot
09-12-2023, 09:26 AM
I think lop-wa is correct, but when in Rome……

waksupi
09-12-2023, 11:48 AM
I heard lah-poo-uh from the company president.

WILCO
09-12-2023, 12:30 PM
Us Muricans pronounce it - luh pooa - jd

That's how I say it. :)

dondiego
09-12-2023, 12:30 PM

Now I am really confused! Next your gonna tell me that you don't pronounce the "T" in sabot and Garand is pronounced Gerrund.........right!

pete501
09-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Sako rifle too. Say-ko or Sack-o
I was told Sack-o is correct

ebb
09-12-2023, 02:18 PM
I was told Sock-O

hk940
09-12-2023, 02:25 PM
I was working on a job where the father was from Norway and he pronounced it Sock-O. He had killed over 100 moose in Norway!

murf205
09-12-2023, 02:33 PM
Ok, how about "Kynoch"?

35 Rem
09-12-2023, 02:37 PM
You have to say it the way it is pronounced locally, or nobody will know what you are talking about. Such as the above-mentioned example "SAKO". I've heard that sock-O is correct but if you go into a Gunshop and pronounce it that way everybody is going to look at you like you are crazy.

Winger Ed.
09-12-2023, 02:38 PM

That's what I've heard too.

The various languages may use some or all the same letters we do, but some 'sound' or are pronounced differently.

Like Sako,,, pronounced Say-koh by us rednecks, but it's really supposed to sound like 'sock-oh'.
Another I'd heard was Leupold. Here, everyone says 'Lee-a-pold'. But I'd heard it's really pronounced 'Lou-pold'.

I often think those far East Texans over there have such a hard accent,,,,
you'd think they had a different word for everything.

Its can get complicated..... Like with those 'Porch' and 'Pew-joe' cars over there.

hk940
09-12-2023, 03:50 PM
Like H-K is supposed to be Heckler and Coke.
Porch is what you sit on Porcha is the car.

la5676
09-12-2023, 04:05 PM
Most people I have watched read the word 'pericope" pronounce it like looks like it should be pronounced, but thanks to the Engrish language, such is no the case.

lar45
09-12-2023, 04:19 PM
Wieand aluminum intake manifolds is Why-and, that's all I know.
That Lapua 7.62x39 ammo shoots great in my Mak-90.

hk940
09-12-2023, 04:30 PM
Just buy the cases and reload!

avogunner
09-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Just buy the cases and reload!

^^This^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchman
09-12-2023, 04:50 PM
<snipped for brevity>
Another I'd heard was Leupold. Here, everyone says 'Lee-a-pold'. But I'd heard it's really pronounced 'Lou-pold'.

My son-in-law and I go back and forth with this one. He says Leo-pold and I say Loo-pold. He does it just to irk me:-).

Sako = socko

sabot = say-bo

This has been interesting. There are so many words in our colloquial language we forget the origin of the word, the etymology.

Dutch

hk940
09-12-2023, 05:21 PM
Tomato-Tomahto

gumbo333
09-12-2023, 05:25 PM
Finally a topic that has some logic to it. Something that can be learned, But most of you people must live in Nor- Fork!

Winger Ed.
09-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Like H-K is supposed to be Heckler and Coke.
Porch is what you sit on Porcha is the car.

It can be confusing around here.
Like the story about the hillbilly kid that went to the big city.
Upon arrival, he went around knocking on doors to fine odd jobs while looking for permanent employment.

He knocked on one. A nice little old lady answered. He asked if there was anything he could do to earn some money.
She told him the porch in the back needed painting, but she hadn't had time to do it herself.
He agreed, and she told him the paint & brushes were in the back by her garage.

Awhile later, he was done and went back to the door, got paid, and told her,
"Ma'am, I'm finished, but there isn't a porch back there..... It's actually a BMW".

farmbif
09-12-2023, 06:12 PM
aint quite sure, closest I got to "lop wah" was some once fired norma

405grain
09-12-2023, 06:52 PM
It's all about the local dialect. People are going to pronounce things different based on their local culture. In example folk from the Deep South are going to pronounce the same words differently than folks from New England or the South West. Usually these cultural differences in speech can tell you almost immediately what region people are from. In an example: I was in San Francisco last Saturday. I needed to cross a street, and waited for the light to change. There were a pair of ladies behind me having a conversation. When the light changed I started to count. In the time that it took me to walk across the street the lady behind me used the word "like" 26 times. I instantly deduced that she was from California.

farmbif
09-12-2023, 07:43 PM
well then how do you pronounce leupold, Lou pold or is it lee uh pold

Gtek
09-12-2023, 08:50 PM
Who lays their head on the pilla and scrubs with a warsh rag?

35 Rem
09-12-2023, 08:52 PM
It's all about the local dialect. People are going to pronounce things different based on their local culture. In example folk from the Deep South are going to pronounce the same words differently than folks from New England or the South West. Usually these cultural differences in speech can tell you almost immediately what region people are from. In an example: I was in San Francisco last Saturday. I needed to cross a street, and waited for the light to change. There were a pair of ladies behind me having a conversation. When the light changed I started to count. In the time that it took me to walk across the street the lady behind me used the word "like" 26 times. I instantly deduced that she was from California.

Or she was just under about the age of 30. :) I swear many of them can't utter a single sentence without injecting the word "like" every 3rd word. I hear that all the time in Alabama. Drives me crazy.

jimb16
09-12-2023, 08:53 PM

My Finnish heritage says the same.

35 Rem
09-12-2023, 08:54 PM

What's a pilla? I sleep on a pillar! :) When Jeff Foxworthy was starting out, he'd say all those redneck expressions and then explain what they meant. I never needed the explanations! :)

45workhorse
09-12-2023, 11:44 PM
A friend mine was at a gun show years ago, and asked the vendor if he had any 6mm Lapua brass. His answer was "we don't sell cheap foreign made brass!"
I like "cheap foreign made brass," when I can afford it!

44Blam
09-13-2023, 01:06 AM
A friend of mine offered: "Would you like to shoot the 338 la...." and before he could say more, I injected "YEAH!!!"
Then he said "$5 / round"
And I said "mmmm noooo".
I don't remember his pronunciation mainly because of my interjection...

technojock
09-14-2023, 03:08 AM
I found a website out of Finland and it had a link to hear the pronunciation. After clicking it a bunch of times, it sure sounded like Lap-wa to me.

As for the scopes made here in Oregon, it's Lew-pold or so a friend that works there told me... The word Koch in German means cook and is pronounce almost the same as it is in English. I don't remember a lot from my 3 years of college German but I'm still pretty good as pronunciation.

Tony

hk940
09-14-2023, 07:19 AM
The wife and I were at Aldi's last week and she asked me if I would like some liverwurst. The girl stocking the shelf looked at us and said where are you from, I haven't heard that in years. Everybody down here (NC) calls it Braunschweiger.

bedbugbilly
09-14-2023, 08:47 AM
I need to get out more . . . . all these years I been thinking "Lapua" was Cajun for Winchester . . . . :-)

scattershot
09-14-2023, 09:54 AM
While we’re on the subject, what’s the consensus on Sellier and Bellot?

charlie b
09-14-2023, 10:02 AM
Like arguing over how to say VW or Volkswagon, the German version or English version. Jaguar in UK English or US English?

lightman
09-14-2023, 12:09 PM
A sponsored shooter should certainly know the right pronunciation. Me and all of my shooting buddies pronounce it the way its spelled, which is apparently wrong.

justindad
09-15-2023, 11:43 AM
I like to say things they way natives do. That’s why I use appuh-lah-chuh (think about someone tossing you an apple: apple-at-cha) instead of appuh-lay-shee-uh.

Winger Ed.
09-15-2023, 11:51 AM
I like to say things they way natives do.

Me too.
Like Shreveport, Louisiana.

If you say 'Shrev-ee-port' instead of Shree-port, the locals will ask, "You're not from around here are ya"?

Froogal
09-15-2023, 12:57 PM
Leroy Jethro Gibbs pronounces it "Lah-Poo-Ah". That's good enough for me!

hk940
09-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Depends where you live there is a town in NC and SC both spelled the same (Beaufort) but in NC it is pronounced BOH-fert in SC it is pronounced BEW-fert.

charlie b
09-15-2023, 06:54 PM
Do you refer to countries in their native tongue or in English, eg, Deutschland or Germany, Nippon or Japan?

DrLogik
09-15-2023, 07:18 PM
A Finish friend of mine says Lah-poo-ah, with no emphasis on any one syllable. A sort of monotone pronunciation.

gwpercle
09-16-2023, 07:05 PM
In Louisiana ... how do you pronounce ... HEBERT

A - Bair ... I could never figure this one out ... just accepted it .

Lapua is one word I have seen for years in print but never had to speak or heard anyone say it . I have no idea what would be proper but being from Louisiana of Cajun-French descent ... would say ... La - Poo

Gary

waco
09-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Does it really matter? There are people in this country that can’t even pronounce my state correctly. I live in Oregon. Pronounced Ory-Gun. Not Ory- gone.

technojock
09-17-2023, 01:15 AM
I've lived here all my life and I pronounce it Orygun. Only slightly different than you but I'm originally from Portland...

Tony

Finn45
09-17-2023, 09:51 AM
We say it simply Lapua, named after town Lapua. I was ten years old when coffins were lined up in tv news after Lapua cartridge factory explosion, some of it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapua_Cartridge_Factory_explosion

Now when some time has passed, Finns are probably able to digest a movie dramaticed after this tragedy, just released:
https://www.lapua-elokuva.fi/

If you watch this short trailer, narrator says between 0:17...0:19 in Finnish "Lapua 1976":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhU-udmrHL0

Lapua and few others can be listened here in very clear and plain and basic language, of course local language in different areas twists words in many ways, volume up:
https://fi.forvo.com/search/Lapua/
https://fi.forvo.com/search/Sako/fi/
https://fi.forvo.com/search/Vihtavuori/
https://fi.forvo.com/search/Tikka/fi/

Tfi, hth.

poppy42
09-18-2023, 05:45 AM
I seriously doubt that the pronunciation matters if you’re happen to be on the receiving end

gwpercle
09-19-2023, 01:40 PM
Me too.
Like Shreveport, Louisiana.

If you say 'Shrev-ee-port' instead of Shree-port, the locals will ask, "You're not from around here are ya"?

And when you go to New Orleans say it like a local as one word ...
... N'awlins ... and throw in a few D'awlins ... like ... "We going to the Economical to make groceries , Dawlin , you need anything !" You will blend right in ...
and the proper greeting is " Hey ... where Y'at !"
Gary
N. O. Yat by marriage
La. Cajun by Birth

Shuz
09-19-2023, 02:13 PM

Those who are from Pittsburgh. Home of the Stillers. How do yinz like dat!?

frkelly74
09-19-2023, 02:51 PM
A guy once corrected me when I said Carcano with the second a said as a instead of Carcano with the second a said as ah. I have never gotten over it.

fa38
09-24-2023, 03:36 PM
When I say Lah-Poo-Ah nobody mistakes it for Nosler

Eddie Southgate
09-24-2023, 03:57 PM
Lop-wa
Soc-o
Lu-pold

dondiego
09-24-2023, 06:28 PM
Say - Bo
Gerrund
Free - Man (That's me!)

Slugster
09-24-2023, 08:50 PM
I pronounce Lapua.....too-expensive-now-I'm-retired.

DWM
10-30-2023, 07:47 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+pronounce+lapua&rlz=1C1GCEA_enES1033ES1033&oq=how+to+rponounce+lapua&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCwgBEAAYDRgTGIAEMgYIABBFGDkyCw gBEAAYDRgTGIAE0gEJMTI2NzhqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a06f949d,vid:INK-8K9xx_c,st:0

ebb
10-31-2023, 12:14 PM
Jerry Clower told about his wife wanting to make some extra money so they went to a friends house and the friend gave her a brush and some green paint and told her to paint the porch out back. In a little while she came back, and Jerry's friend asked "did you paint the porch?" She replies "yes I painted the Porsche and the Bentley"

MT Gianni
11-01-2023, 12:12 AM
Ok, how about "Kynoch"?

Knowing some folks with that last name, I always pronounced it as they did, Ki-nock.

Golfswithwolves
11-03-2023, 03:52 PM
A friend of mine offered: "Would you like to shoot the 338 la...." and before he could say more, I injected "YEAH!!!"
Then he said "$5 / round"
And I said "mmmm noooo".
I don't remember his pronunciation mainly because of my interjection...

This fellow was actually correct to pronounce it "LA". The pua part is silent.

kevin c
11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
It's all about the local dialect. People are going to pronounce things different based on their local culture...

For sure. Received Pronunciation in the UK seems to guarantee consistent though sometimes odd sounding (to American ears) ways of saying things (“toe-mah-toe”, “jah-goo-ayre”, “Don Joo-an”).

…she was from California.

Californians aren’t even consistent. There’s a city a bit north of SF named after a Hispanic gentleman named Vallejo. Any native Spanish speaker would say “Ba-yay-hoe”, second syllable accented. Any English reader would say “Val-ly-Joe”, first syllable accented. Locals, though, including the city residents, say “Val-lay-hoe”, second syllable accented.

Go figure…

charlie b
11-05-2023, 06:19 PM
The above reminded me that local dialects of a language can be so far off that they are not very well understood by others. The 'US English' spoken in places like the bayou, brooklyn, etc can be far from the 'standard'. Sometimes enough off that it is difficult to understand by someone in another region. And this is still considered speaking English.

The Spanish language in the Americas has also been subject to 'modification'. The V in Vallejo is pronounced as a V by some hispanics and a B by others.

Bavarian German can be quite a bit different than northern German. Then there are the dialects in the UK, made famous by the movie 'My Fair Lady'. A british acquaintance returned to the UK after living in the US and they were aghast that she was "dropping her H's".

technojock
11-05-2023, 10:20 PM
I don't think anyone pronounces the names of the towns in Oregon's French district correctly.

Lance Boyle
11-06-2023, 10:22 AM
Kind of a hobby (???) of mine it to screw up lots of pronunciations -- just for fun. E.g., when I see walkers on upcoming roadside, I advise wife (driver) to "watch out for the "ped-iss-tree-ins" :)), and similar. Days of the week? I vary with Czech, German, and French most prevalent. (Today (Czech) is úterý.)
Anyhoos, Lapua I always pronounce with awe as it is both "the best" (imho -- at least in my .221 Rem Fireball) as well as most costly. My bastardized :) pronunciation is Lap-ooh-wa. I've oft' said, as long as "the other party" knows what I'm saying... the joke is on them!
geo

Ha! i see another has a similarly cracked brain on pronunciation.

Milky Duck
11-07-2023, 03:04 AM
lah pooh agh the smurf song lah pooh like what a bear does in the woods and agh like the doctor wants when stick out your tongue LOL... They make great bullets.

mattimoose
01-21-2024, 12:39 PM
Finnish is a Ugraic language only found in Hungarian and outer-Mongolian. Lapua is pronounced phonetically. A in Finn is soft like in "awe", unless it has 2 dots over the A. 2 dots above the letter make it hard like A in Apple. U is like oo in moon. Law-poo-ah. People screw-up Sauna too. Saw-oo-nah. Don't get me started on SAKO or Tikka.

Land Owner
01-22-2024, 11:02 AM
I went to CA (by PCS in the USCG) from FL. First time I saw the sign (La Jolla) I called it "La Joe-la". The CA driver almost wrecked his truck - laughing. La HOY-ya he said. I pronounce it like I see it I said.

Hooked on Ph(F) -onics they said. (Phy) "F-sics"?, I wrote. A, e, i, o, u, and sometime "y" they said. "Y"?, I wrote.

English, and its pronunciation, is a unique and interesting language. I like to "booger it up" on purpose sometimes too.

frkelly74
01-22-2024, 12:35 PM
Here in Saginaw is a neighborhood called Buena Vista. The locals say beuna vista, even the news readers when ever there is a shooting out there. Que beuna I guess.

Sorry for the drift there..

Outer Rondacker
01-22-2024, 01:22 PM
I saw a chance for a joke. Ill tell you how I say it.

To darn expensive.

How did I do?

jsizemore
01-22-2024, 02:20 PM
I say La-poo-uh. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. It might seem expensive but saves a lot of time prepping and is a bunch cheaper than the ride to and from the match and food and entry fees and the motel room.

Bird
01-23-2024, 12:22 AM
I don't understand how the word eieio came to be pronounced as farm.

35 Rem
01-23-2024, 01:08 AM
I saw a chance for a joke. Ill tell you how I say it.

To darn expensive.

How did I do?

I agree 100%!! The only Lapua brass I have is one box of 7.62x39. I thought to myself how ironic it is to buy this extremely expensive brand of brass for such a cartridge as that to shoot in a little CZ carbine with cast bullets. :) But it was what I could find back when I bought it.

Patrick L
01-23-2024, 04:39 PM
Kynoch. KI (rhymes with sky) nock.

Just guessing.

porthos
01-24-2024, 08:57 PM
does this topic really matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlie b
01-24-2024, 10:16 PM
Nope. Just having fun. :)

elmacgyver0
01-24-2024, 10:21 PM
Most people I have watched read the word 'pericope" pronounce it like looks like it should be pronounced, but thanks to the Engrish language, such is no the case.

What is a pericope?
anything like a periscope or am I totally bonkers?
It is on a submarine, correct?