PDA

View Full Version : remove nickel

Harpman
01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
my brother has old gun, pistol with half the nickel gone, is there a way to remove all of it with chemicals ?

Blackwater
01-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Harpman, I think it's best done by reversing the electroplating process, rather than with chemicals. Don't take this to the bank just yet, because maybe someone with more knowledge will come along, but I think any company that does nickel plating can do this for you, and replate as well. IIRD, there's a co. in FL called "Accurate Plating and Weaponry" that a couple of friends used some years back that can help you with this? That's from memory, and my CRS disease is the only thing I have that's getting stronger, so see if you can get some verification for this. I think APW has a website, so try googling it by name and putting the question to them. Wish I could help more.

Bent Ramrod
01-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Harpman,

From Angier's "Firearm Bluing and Browning":

US variation of Kings-Norton Solution for dissolving nickel is:

Ten grams ammonium persulfate

Five grams ammonium carbonate

100cc of aqua ammonia (dilute 63cc of concentrated ammonia solution with distilled water to make 100cc).

Degrease the parts and lay in the cold solution, preferably in a wide-mouthed glass-stoppered jar or any jar with air-tight cover. The solution should turn green; denickeling is complete when the metal is a uniform gray color. The instructions say that this solution, as long as the ammonia is not left to evaporate (air-tight lid) will not attack the underlying iron or steel, but I would keep an eye on it, myself.

Useta be, you could get these chemicals from a druggist or chemical supply house; don't know what the availability is now. A friend and I tried it in graduate school chem lab and it does work. That's the nice thing about nickel--it will dissolve in a chemical solution. Chrome, on the other hand, absolutely needs the reverse electrolysis that Blackwater mentioned.

RalphH
02-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Greetings, Harpman,

I have used this product from Brownells with great success stipping some of my antique revolvers. Won't harm the base metal and it actually works. Kinda expensive, though.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1102&s=3942

shooter575
02-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Bent Ramrod ,Thanks for that fourmula.I also have a musket barrel I want to remove the plating from. Now to go on a chemical hunt. I will report back what I find.