PDA

View Full Version : 310 grs. in .44Magnum

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 08:52 AM
I just brewed, lubed & gas-checked my first batch of Lee 310 grs._ they are cast for a .444 Marlin, but I would be interested trying them in .44 magnum sixgun_
in .44 magnum they will be tested on a 9.5" Ruger SRH, and my intention is to work with the powders that I have at hand: Vihtavuori N 120, N110, N320_ also N 310 available_ I'm considering starting from levels of heavy .44spl upwards, since the fun here will be purely against the paper_
If anyone has direct experience with this, I will be very interested_
thanks to all

Pereira
09-11-2023, 08:57 AM
This is a Lee 310 over 15 grs of 2400, I shot this just a few weeks ago out of the Henry. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230911/009a69c6ae73129fb5f476e9ffed2470.jpg

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Pereira
09-11-2023, 09:00 AM
Sorry I put this in wrong thread.

RP

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 09:03 AM
...Do you feel it particularly stout/punishing in your rifle?
( I know you're a Lever Vet, if I'm not wrong :smile: )

TurnipEaterDown
09-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Lyman Cast Handbook 50th edition has some data for this 310 LEE bullet in 44 magnum.

In my Ruger SBH 7.5" (Loaded to the REAR crimp groove -- i.e. LONGEST assembled length) I find it gives ~ 1200-1300 fps with WC820, W296, Alliant 2400 & Power Pro 300 MP with good accuracy.
My velocities exceeded those printed in the Lyman manual.
WC820 at 21 gr for 1300 fps was tested in a friends pressure rig -- 31,800 psi -- I MUST stress: Loaded to the REAR crimp groove -- i.e. LONGEST assembled length.

Didn't work well on deer for me, and I found it did not give that good of cavitation cavity in wet newsprint either, compared to some other bullet designs (Lee seems to round the nose slightly for release purposes). It did however seem to give better newsprint cavitation (and penetration) than 30-06 165 gr Hornady SST at 15 yards (of course, this distance could have greatly disadvantaged the 30 cal jacketed).

Accuracy of the bullet in my gun was good, but not best of the varieties I have tried.

Overall, I would say good bullet in 44, but I have found better.

Pereira
09-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Not at all, but the Henry with the octagon barrel is a little heavier than a Marlin or Rossi.
It sure smacks the big gong in the backyard, it's 50 yds from the porch.

RP

murf205
09-11-2023, 10:20 AM
My 9.5" SRH loves this boolit (310 Lee) but heck, it shoots everything I've fed it great. My 4" S&W 629 shoots this big boolit better than any other, using H110 but the recoil in that gun HURTS. Sorry, but I don't have the powders you mentioned. I have used the rear crimp groove and the 1 thing I have against this mold is the shallow crimp groove. If I was a dedicated 300gr+ shooter, I would order a custom mold with a deeper crimp groove but I am a 255 gr guy. That long barrel on your gun will get you some good velocity out of lower loads. For instance- my 4" 629 gets about 1050fps from 16.6gr of Alliant 2400 and my Ruger SRH 9.5" gets 1225fps out of the same load. You will hear a lot of people stating that the SRH us an ugly duckling but IMHO it is the most accurate revolver made.

45DUDE
09-11-2023, 12:35 PM
I have that 310 mold and removed the gas check by drilling to the lube groove with a .436 =7/16 bit and resizing to .432. My mold dropped at .429 and too small for my cylinder and does fine without the gas check and saves .08 cents a pop. It shoots good but a lot higher using 2400 powder. I have a SRH that likes it but haven't shot through my Marlin yet. I plan to shortly at 100 yards. The bullet has plenty of kick. I have a 788 Remington 44 mag also but never shot lead through it. My shooting buddy has a Freedom Arms that shoots them very accurate. So for I am testing with starting loads. The LEE book has lots of info for this boolit. <For the Freedom Arms I have to size .430>

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 03:06 PM
My 9.5" SRH loves this boolit (310 Lee) but heck, it shoots everything I've fed it great. My 4" S&W 629 shoots this big boolit better than any other, using H110 but the recoil in that gun HURTS. Sorry, but I don't have the powders you mentioned. I have used the rear crimp groove and the 1 thing I have against this mold is the shallow crimp groove. If I was a dedicated 300gr+ shooter, I would order a custom mold with a deeper crimp groove but I am a 255 gr guy. That long barrel on your gun will get you some good velocity out of lower loads. For instance- my 4" 629 gets about 1050fps from 16.6gr of Alliant 2400 and my Ruger SRH 9.5" gets 1225fps out of the same load. You will hear a lot of people stating that the SRH us an ugly duckling but IMHO it is the most accurate revolver made.

Thanks for the many inputs.
somehow I can carefully extrapolate and convert the data with the VV N110_.
for me it is important to get something that is reasonably manageable without hunting needs.
btw I got my best satisfaction on the 29s with gas checked Lee 240 grs HP, but I think that was mainly due to the fact that they came from a single-cavity mold_

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 03:10 PM
I have that 310 mold and removed the gas check by drilling to the lube groove with a .336 bit and resizing to .432. My mold dropped at .429 and too small for my cylinder and does fine without the gas check and saves .08 cents a pop. It shoots good but a lot higher using 2400 powder. I have a SRH that likes it but haven't shot through my Marlin yet. I plan to shortly at 100 yards. The bullet has plenty of kick. I have a 788 Remington 44 mag also but never shot lead through it. My shooting buddy has a Freedom Arms that shoots them very accurate. So for I am testing with starting loads. The LEE book has lots of info for this boolit. <For the Freedom Arms I have to size .430>

thank you, sir: I will search on both my Lee manuals, if that's what you mean by Lee book, with more attention_

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 03:15 PM
Lyman Cast Handbook 50th edition has some data for this 310 LEE bullet in 44 magnum.

In my Ruger SBH 7.5" (Loaded to the REAR crimp groove -- i.e. LONGEST assembled length) I find it gives ~ 1200-1300 fps with WC820, W296, Alliant 2400 & Power Pro 300 MP with good accuracy.
WC820 at 21 gr for 1300 fps was tested in a friends pressure rig -- 31,800 psi -- I MUST stress: Loaded to the REAR crimp groove -- i.e. LONGEST assembled length.

Didn't work well on deer for me, and I found it did not give that good of cavitation cavity in wet newsprint either, compared to some other bullet designs (Lee seems to round the nose slightly for release purposes). It did however seem to give better newsprint cavitation (and penetration) than 30-06 165 gr Hornady SST at 15 yards (of course, this distance could have greatly disadvantaged the 30 cal jacketed).

Accuracy of the bullet in my gun was good, but not best of the varieties I have tried.

Overall, I would say good bullet in 44, but I have found better.

...thank you overall about the rear crimp groove thing, sir !

DougGuy
09-11-2023, 04:20 PM
Caution about downloading slow burning magnum powders, some you can to a certain extent, others like W296/H110 don't go below published starting weight for the load you are building.

With heavy for caliber boolits like the Lee C430-310-RF I have good luck with 2400 and LilGun in a 7 1/2" SBH right at 1180-1200fps. I wouldn't try for the fastest powder, you generally can't make magnum power before you run out of pressure headroom with heavy boolit and faster powders.

The other thing about the 310 is that it REQUIRES SPIN to stabilize! You HAVE to drive it. It's not a target boolit by any means. The slower twist in the barrel, the faster you have to push it if you hope to build an accurate load. By the way, the hunting load will likely be the most accurate.

N110, H110 and LilGun are real close in burn rate according to Hodgdon, they are grouped together on the burn rate chart, with N110 being the faster one of the three, but I don't think you can interchange charge weights with N110 and H110, they are different powders.

wilecoyote
09-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Caution about downloading slow burning magnum powders, some you can to a certain extent, others like W296/H110 don't go below published starting weight for the load you are building.

With heavy for caliber boolits like the Lee C430-310-RF I have good luck with 2400 and LilGun in a 7 1/2" SBH right at 1180-1200fps. I wouldn't try for the fastest powder, you generally can't make magnum power before you run out of pressure headroom with heavy boolit and faster powders.

The other thing about the 310 is that it REQUIRES SPIN to stabilize! You HAVE to drive it. It's not a target boolit by any means. The slower twist in the barrel, the faster you have to push it if you hope to build an accurate load. By the way, the hunting load will likely be the most accurate.

N110, H110 and LilGun are real close in burn rate according to Hodgdon, they are grouped together on the burn rate chart, with N110 being the faster one of the three, but I don't think you can interchange charge weights with N110 and H110, they are different powders.

...thanks about all above.
personally I have always perceived the N110 to be faster than stated, but maybe it's me, and it's a purely empirical perception.
I'm still curious about the possible use of N120, but it's really entering some no man's land, in this case_

murf205
09-12-2023, 02:44 PM
wilecoyote, I have a 310 Lee that drops at .431 but like 45Dude said, they are famous for dropping skinny boolits. I don't know whether you can get molds from the US but Accurate has a 43-310G mold that has a double crimp groove. My Lee has a seriously shallow crimp groove and with a boolit that heavy, you need some really good crimp.

murf205
09-12-2023, 02:47 PM
45 Dude, you should give the Lyman 429421 a ride in that 788. I had one that shot that boolit into less than an inch at 100yds with 2400. Of course ,like the gun swapping fool that I am, I traded it off.

45DUDE
09-12-2023, 03:11 PM
murf205--I have that mold also. I used it in my 29-2 on the low side. I have the gas check version also.:smile: I like 2400--What powder were you using with the 1'' group?

murf205
09-12-2023, 03:38 PM
2400. It has always been a good performer for me. I believe it was 21 grs with that boolit.

wilecoyote
09-12-2023, 05:11 PM
murf205 and 45DUDE, if apparently I don't interfere in the discussion it's because I'm hidden here, absorbing what comes out of it: btw I bought a 429421 a few months ago and I have yet to try it, and from what I see it would seem that the N110 powder I have in hand is just a little slower than the Alliant 2400, but on the safe side, on my book .
now I have the 310s on the bench hand which I can't wait to test in SRH without fear of stressing the 29s_
about some serious crimping, DougGuy posted something that I have yet to try but it seems of extreme interest to me:
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201449-Question-about-type-of-crimp-required&p=2239315&viewfull=1#post2239315 _
now more than a tread it seems like brainstorming to me :razz:, but I am very pleased that the stars are aligning, even in unexpected ways, with the contribution of all of you.
:drinks:

45DUDE
09-12-2023, 10:42 PM
I never shot the 310 out of my S&W and sold it for a good price 3 years ago. I had it since 1982 and didn't wont to stress it out with heavy loads. My shooting buddy has a Freedom Arms 44 mag with a 1 in 20 twist and a waste of time shooting against him with my SRH. I shoot his gun very well. He uses H110 and W296 but my boolits group in his gun wit 2400. The range is under a remodel for another week. Maybe I can post a 100 yard target with the 429241 mold in the next couple of weeks from his gun on the bench and the 310s also. I do all the boolit casting and prefer a hard boolit. DoughGuy and Larry Gibson seem to have the better answers with testing.

wilecoyote
09-13-2023, 04:14 AM
I never shot the 310 out of my S&W and sold it for a good price 3 years ago. I had it since 1982 and didn't wont to stress it out with heavy loads. My shooting buddy has a Freedom Arms 44 mag with a 1 in 20 twist and a waste of time shooting against him with my SRH. I shoot his gun very well. He uses H110 and W296 but my boolits group in his gun wit 2400. The range is under a remodel for another week. Maybe I can post a 100 yard target with the 429241 mold in the next couple of weeks from his gun on the bench and the 310s also. I do all the boolit casting and prefer a hard boolit. DoughGuy and Larry Gibson seem to have the better answers with testing.

just to make you understand the diversity of our market/availability conditions, I don't know that an FA in .44magnum has ever been imported here. :-(_
from here on, including molds and powders, you can have an idea, even though I am among the lucky ones around here, with about twenty years collecting reloading equipment, manuals, molds, etc. inherent to the few calibers with which I have fun.
you can therefore imagine how much interest I can read and hopefully learn from your various answers...

trapper9260
09-13-2023, 04:29 AM
I shoot this 310grs in my hunter RH and Marlin 1894 44mag and shoots great . I shoot them to .431 in both. It shoot better. at first I did .430 and the Marlin did not shoot groups tight like I was hoping , then I went with .431 and it close up the groups and works good in the RH too , but you know it when you shoot it in the RH . The RH is 7 1/2" barrel.

Ramjet-SS
09-13-2023, 09:42 AM
I just finished loading a bunch of 44 Mag about 500 rounds of various cast boolits. Including a 315 grain WFN GC. They turned out incredibly accurate in my New Colt Anaconda. I tested several powders the best accuracy with AA#9. Right now as I get ready to finish my loading I am loading up with 280 grain LFN GC 20.0 grains of WW296 heavy crimp and CCI 350 Primers. The pressure with 296 is actually lower than with #9 I hope it’s as accurate. Love heavy cast with big wide meplat in the 44 Mag both handguns and rifles. They drop deer in their tracks and leave two holes. WFN drive it ,do to hard and you will be amazed at how good they are on game. Penetration beyond words. Just make sure you don’t have two animal lined up or you will be burning two tags.

45DUDE
09-13-2023, 11:56 AM
VN350 has a burn rate close to our Unique powder. I've been thinking about trying some . I have VN340 also and will try to load some today. I have one of my Dillon's set up for 44 mag. It will be at least a week before we can try these.

murf205
09-13-2023, 05:37 PM
45 Dude, I had to dig to find them but I went back and checked my notes. The cast load that I had success with in my 788 was 24.1 grs of H110 and the 429421 Lyman for 1773 fps.The 2400 load was 22 grs and a 240 gr Speer that went 1715 fps. Shot these on a 30 degree day in 1983.

wilecoyote
09-14-2023, 05:25 AM

...I'm planning to try with VV N110, and I've found something decent about it in my old Vihtavuori handbook_
QUESTION: Your seating to the rear crimp groove is due to have better accuracy or to avoid dangerous pressures with the powders you used ?

racepres
09-14-2023, 07:53 AM
...I'm planning to try with VV N110, and I've found something decent about it in my old Vihtavuori handbook_
QUESTION: Your seating to the rear crimp groove is due to have better accuracy or to avoid dangerous pressures with the powders you used ?
I need to seat Short, in order to have the Round Feed in my LeverGun.. You are certainly correct to Note that seating depth Changes Pressure...considerably with some powders.. Works well for me to seat the Same Loading Long, for my Contender...as it can be Brutal with full power 44Mag loadings...longer is (very slightly) milder!! And...I can tell at a Glance which arm they were loaded for.

45DUDE
09-14-2023, 08:05 AM
Some guns the cylinder is too short for the dual crimp boolit and you can't crimp long as it protrudes the cylinder and hits the forcing cone. I like my lead to exactly fit the throat or .001 over and you need to see how large the boolit can be and still chamber for accuracy. That's what is good about the LEE manual. It has lots of powders with both crimp overall lengths and expected pressure. I like slower magnum powders over fast powders. A powder that fills the case to the base of the boolit is safer for overcharge and some powders aren't made to download. I made the rear of several of my 44 molds .436 so I could size for what I need. .429-.432. My SRH Ruger is .432 with a 2 1/2x 7 Burris. Others may have different thoughts but this works for me. I'm more of a 38-357 guy and old and hate recoil. ====My book only has the short seating for the 310 LEE lead but has a long seating for a 300 grain jacket. I think I will stick with the short length because our groups are plenty good.

racepres
09-14-2023, 08:15 AM
Something for you cats enlarging the Base of this Boolit.
Seems to me, that If it were Possible .. It would be better to enlarge the front of the Boolit!!!
But Since it is No Easy Task...and IDK if my thinking is Correct.. I will stick to Beagling for larger diameter..
Am I wrong???

wilecoyote
09-14-2023, 08:58 AM
in this case,it's my first Ruger. my first 310 test, too_
(btw the 310 mold was originally intended for my .444, but at the moment I have no way of dedicating myself to rifles)
the SRH cylinder allows me to crimp to the greatest length, as recommended - we'll see if my crimping will be enough to avoid the advancement of the other bullets, and in fact this too had been highlighted.
I think I will bring a vernier caliper with me, so as to immediately detect if any progressive forward movements occur, before blocking the rotation.
for now the goal is to obtain a reasonable safety/manageability balance and undisturbed rotation regularity.
later it will be a real pleasure to work for accuracy,if any_ we'll see :razz:

45DUDE
09-14-2023, 10:23 AM
Something for you cats enlarging the Base of this Boolit.
Seems to me, that If it were Possible .. It would be better to enlarge the front of the Boolit!!!
But Since it is No Easy Task...and IDK if my thinking is Correct.. I will stick to Beagling for larger diameter..
Am I wrong???

Nothing wrong with doing it your way and I tried it. When going for accuracy even if you resize the nose can't be round. -With the base larger and resized the nose is round.

TurnipEaterDown
09-14-2023, 12:22 PM

Seating to longer COL increases internal volume -- Basically it is a different cartridge that holds more under the bullet.
CONCEPTUALLY, think of stretching a 308 WIN to become a 30-06. OR more closely, "Improving" a tapered rifle case to give more powder volume.
SO, charges can be increased, while maintaining same peak pressure.

Not about the type of powder, but realistically it only works with powders on the slow end for the parent case, and heavier bullets (generally on the bullet statement).

Some manuals have data for some heavy weight 44 bullets at both loading lengths for the same bullet, so you can get insight this way.

Side benefit: Yes, seating the bullet longer puts more bearing length outside of the case, and will put More of said bearing surface in the throat of the revolver cylinder, helping in alignment. How much this contributes to accuracy -- it depends.

Friend and I re-cut cannelures on a variety of 44 bullets from 200-300 grains and tested them for velocity and pressure at one point. The gains are small, but can be had with some bullets. A 300 grain ish bullet - expect 50-100 fps max velocity change at equal pressure in a revolver. A longer barrel or a "better" gun gets this too...

wilecoyote
09-15-2023, 03:51 AM
Seating to longer COL... . A longer barrel or a "better" gun gets this too..

...thanks for the detailed explanation, and for reminding me of a further use of the old C-H cann. tool !:drinks:

.429&H110
09-21-2023, 01:42 PM
For anyone who thinks they might like to try this load,
spend the money, get a small box of Buffalo Bore 320 grain.
If you don't flinch, you are a better man than me.
I would sooner hit my SRH with a 5 pound hammer.
I will stick to 250 grain Keith boolits, like Elmer prescribed,
and shoot the hot loads in the lever gun.
Just saying.
YMMV

TurnipEaterDown
09-21-2023, 02:12 PM
For anyone who thinks they might like to try this load,
spend the money, get a small box of Buffalo Bore 320 grain.
If you don't flinch, you are a better man than me.
I would sooner hit my SRH with a 5 pound hammer.
I will stick to 250 grain Keith boolits, like Elmer prescribed,
and shoot the hot loads in the lever gun.
Just saying.
YMMV

Yes, the Buffalo Bore ammo from Tim Sundles is a viable commercial alternative for all that the 44 Rem Mag will deliver.

The 305gr LBT LFN GC Buffalo Bore "Heavy 44 mag" is peppy, and puts the magnum in 44 Remington Magnum.
1380 fps out of my 7.5" SBH.
It will better any reloading manual load on a 300 jacketed by a good margin.

There is a reason the 44 is stated as being the most that the average person can handle.
Recoil management is mostly a matter of training, but there are limits.

trapper9260
09-21-2023, 04:13 PM
Yes, the Buffalo Bore ammo from Tim Sundles is a viable commercial alternative for all that the 44 Rem Mag will deliver.

The 305gr LBT LFN GC Buffalo Bore "Heavy 44 mag" is peppy, and puts the magnum in 44 Remington Magnum.
1380 fps out of my 7.5" SBH.
It will better any reloading manual load on a 300 jacketed by a good margin.

There is a reason the 44 is stated as being the most that the average person can handle.
Recoil management is mostly a matter of training, but there are limits.
You right , when I shoot the 310 in my RH 7.5 I know it ,it live up to what it is to be, but when I shoot it in my Marlin no problem.

BD
09-25-2023, 03:09 PM
I always carried a .44 mag while guiding and baiting black bears in Maine. I started with Ruger Redhawks and graduated to a Dan Wesson, (but that's another story). I always carried the Lee 310 loaded over 21 grains of 296, seated to the longer OAL groove. While I never needed it for a bear, I did shoot a deer and a couple of coyotes. That bullet went through and through on everything. I gave it up after one cold morning when I walked into a cedar swamp with a Redhawk after a buck that just wouldn't show himself in the daylight. I finally got a look at him from the base of his neck to the first tine on his rack at about 25 yards. He let me miss him six times before he took off. I walked into where he had stood and on the way saw a branch shot to pieces overhead about half way to the deer. The light went on. It was about 5 deg F that morning and I'd put on a pair of heavy wool gloves. I took the gun to the range that afternoon and discovered that it was shooting about 15" high at 15 yards wearing those heavy wool gloves. No matter how tightly I gripped it. I went to the 265 grain WFNs after that, switched to the Dan Wesson, (rubber grips), and lighter weight gloves. Much more consistent results, and they still go through and through on everything I've shot with it since, including 8" diameter trees and one car wrecked moose. IMHO the 310 grainer can be too much of a good thing if you need to be wearing gloves.

wilecoyote
09-25-2023, 05:05 PM
I always carried a .44 mag while guiding and baiting back bears in Maine. I started with Ruger Redhawks and graduated to a Dan Wesson, (but that's another story). I always carried the Lee 310 loaded over 21 grains of 296, seated to the longer OAL groove. While I never needed it for a bear, I did shoot a deer and a couple of coyotes. That bullet went through and through on everything. I gave it up after one cold morning when I walked into a cedar swamp with a Redhawk after a buck that just wouldn't show himself in the daylight. I finally got a look at him from the base of his neck to the first tine on his rack at about 25 yards. He let me miss him six times before he took off. I walked into where he had stood and on the way saw a branch shot to pieces overhead about half way to the deer. The light went on. It was about 5 deg F that morning and I'd put on a pair of heavy wool gloves. I took the gun to the range that afternoon and discovered that it was shooting about 15" high at 15 yards wearing those heavy wool gloves. No matter how tightly I gripped it. I went to the 265 grain WFNs after that, switched to the Dan Wesson, (rubber grips), and lighter weight gloves. Much more consistent results, and they still go through and through on everything I've shot with it since, including 8" diameter trees and one car wrecked moose. IMHO the 310 grainer can be too much of a good thing if you need to be wearing gloves.

...thanks! you made very interesting considerations for someone, as me, who often wears gloves of various types and at the same time doesn't like rubber grips !

wilecoyote
10-02-2023, 11:31 PM

you were right about ..."the 310 is that it REQUIRES SPIN to stabilize!...": on Sunday I tested only 15 grs. of VV N110 under the 310 grainers, and the recoil was negligible but also the accuracy, despite the 9.5" barrel.
but now I can start upping the charge, following old Viht. tables, without surprises.

35 Rem
10-03-2023, 01:31 AM
I purchased the Lee 310 grain 44 mold mainly for use with a sabot in a 50 cal muzzle loader - which works great by the way. As such, I can't off the top of my head recall the exact diameter of my bullets. But I have loaded them in 44 mag to shoot in my Ruger SBH 5.5". The load that works well is 10.0 grains of Unique with the bullet crimped in the front groove (shortest OAL). Recoil is modest but satisfying and it rings a 10" gong loud and clear. I also tried Max loads using H110 with terrible results. It leads the barrel horribly. This is with a Lyman gas check. Could very well be that my bullet is undersize.

DougGuy
10-05-2023, 10:46 PM
Could very well be that my bullet is undersize.

That would be my first thought. Will the boollits go into or through the cylinder throats from the front? If not, then the throats are likely smaller than the boolit and when you fire the round, it exits the front of the cylinder at throat diameter.

Gobeyond
10-14-2023, 12:26 AM
I tried 50 rounds almost with some 320s I found somewhere. And I shot them with a medium load of red dot. I’m pretty sure. It was in a Rossi lever. Not too accurate of plinking that day. I think I tried them in a 44 special ruger flat top too. It was kinda funny too. I shot 2400 in a smith to try to duplicate Keith loads and got out of hand. Funny but no problems. But not with that bullet. Passable accuracy.

DougGuy
10-20-2023, 08:18 PM
I tried 50 rounds almost with some 320s I found somewhere. And I shot them with a medium load of red dot. I’m pretty sure. It was in a Rossi lever. Not too accurate of plinking that day. I think I tried them in a 44 special ruger flat top too. It was kinda funny too. I shot 2400 in a smith to try to duplicate Keith loads and got out of hand. Funny but no problems. But not with that bullet. Passable accuracy.

This boolit REQUIRES spin to stabilize it in flight. You cannot successfully make a target load out of the Lee 310, you have to drive it. There's your accuracy problem.

Why would you load such a heavy for caliber boolit over a WAY too fast powder for the load? I don't know where you came up with that load data but pretty sure you won't find it in any published load manuals.

Also, using this boolit in a flattop BH is just a waste of powder and primers since you cannot safely load it (in a medium framed Ruger) warm enough to get it to group without easily going over the pressure ceiling of the gun.

trapper9260
10-21-2023, 04:26 AM
I purchased the Lee 310 grain 44 mold mainly for use with a sabot in a 50 cal muzzle loader - which works great by the way. As such, I can't off the top of my head recall the exact diameter of my bullets. But I have loaded them in 44 mag to shoot in my Ruger SBH 5.5". The load that works well is 10.0 grains of Unique with the bullet crimped in the front groove (shortest OAL). Recoil is modest but satisfying and it rings a 10" gong loud and clear. I also tried Max loads using H110 with terrible results. It leads the barrel horribly. This is with a Lyman gas check. Could very well be that my bullet is undersize.

Yes it sounds like it is undersize. the size I was shooting them in my RH and the groups was good and then shoot the same rounds in my Marlin and the groups was not bad and wanted the shrink the groups so I went with a larger size by .001 and see a better group on both RH and Marlin. For me I went from .430 to .431 and it works better with the .431 .