PDA

View Full Version : My review of my father's S&W Model 29.

Idaho45guy
09-09-2023, 11:57 PM
Started a new video series in which I will be shooting all of my inherited firearms from my father's estate. Doing pistols first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmorNUabPkA&t=8s

rintinglen
09-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Nice review. I sold my 8 3/8" 29-2, but I have kept my 6" 629. They are darned good guns. You may find after market grips more comfortable for big loads, I replaced the wooden grips with Hogues and felt quite pleased with the exchange. My mags don't get much use anymore, my wrists just aren't up to any more. For hunting, I use a Ruger Redhawk.

murf205
09-11-2023, 10:30 AM
You are fortunate to have your fathers guns especially a 29 S&W. My father left me a volt meter! If you do decide to put some rubber grips on that gun, I wouldn't store it for any long period of time with them attached. I have a 29-2 that had them since day 1 and I don't know whether it was them or moisture but the finish underneath that area is freckled. Your gun is in excellent condition, I wouldn't take a chance with anything that could hurt that gem of a revolver.

Char-Gar
09-11-2023, 10:50 AM
Without a doubt the 44 Magnum is my favorites big bore revolver round. I got my first one (Ruger) in 1961. I have owned 8 or 9 of them over the years. Without a doubt, my hands down favorites, is this 1989 Smith 5" 629. Most accurate revolver I have ever fired.

pietro
09-11-2023, 10:59 AM

I handgun hunted deer for over a decade with an 8-3/8" Model 29-3, and it always did the job in the somewhat brushy buck bedrooms I hunted - but due to my abilities, I had to limit my shots to 100yds or shorter (my personal effective range with that gun).

I used a Bianchi Ranger 4100 cross-chest holster to transport it, but held the gun in my hands while actually hunting (from an elevated stand or on walkabout stalking) - the holster was easily slid around out of my way, to the back of my shoulder when holding the gun in my hands.

I found a second use for it when both my daughters were teenagers, just starting to date guys - I used to haul it out and "clean" it, making sure to wave it around a bit.

The new "guy" usually gulped, and become very quiet when I told him/them to be sure to treat my gals like a gentleman would.(this was when the Dirty Harry movie came out)

Ed K
09-11-2023, 02:39 PM

I handgun hunted deer for over a decade with an 8-3/8" Model 29-3, and it always did the job in the somewhat brushy buck bedrooms I hunted - but due to my abilities, I had to limit my shots to 100yds or shorter (my personal effective range with that gun.

I used a Bianchi Ranger 4100 cross-chest holster to transport it, but held it in my hands while actually hunting (from an elevated stand or on walkabout stalking) - it was easily slid around out of my way, to the back of my shoulder when holding it in my hands.

I found a second use for it when both my daughters were teenagers, just starting to date guys - I used to haul it out and "clean" it, making sure to wave it around a bit.

The new "guy" usually gulped, and become very quiet when I told him/them to be sure to treat my gals like a gentleman would.(this was when the Dirty Harry movie came out)

Similar story here: when the guy arrived told the daughter to take her time getting ready while we went to the basement and he would assist (watch really) the cranking out of 44s on the Dillon 550.

RayinNH
09-11-2023, 03:30 PM
That's a right handsome revolver Mr. Graf. Beautiful grips.

Char-Gar
09-12-2023, 09:53 AM
That's a right handsome revolver Mr. Graf. Beautiful grips.

The grips are Herrett's Made to Measure. The wood you get on those are just luck of the draw.

murf205
09-12-2023, 02:22 PM
The grips are Herrett's Made to Measure. The wood you get on those are just luck of the draw.317868317869

It looks like we both were lucky. Herretts stocks are always 1st class IMHO.

hk940
09-12-2023, 02:45 PM
I see that it is not pinned and recessed, what -number is it?
I got mine in 1977 with the walnut box, they were rather scarce at the time, but a good friend of mine a FFL dealer got it for me, finished off my first deer with it.

Ed_Shot
09-12-2023, 04:52 PM

It looks like we both were lucky. Herretts stocks are always 1st class IMHO.

+1 Herretts makes beautiful stocks.