PDA

View Full Version : 44-40 with small pistol primer pocket ????

bandanaman
09-08-2023, 08:56 PM
I was gifted some old ammunition for my 44-40 by a friend [24 pcs.]. The cases are Dominion Cartridge Co and appear to be original. They have a copper jacket and flat soft nosed bullet. I fired one out of my 1860 Henry and it seemed to like them just fine. In looking at possibly reloading these I found the primer pocket is way too small for a large pistol primer. I can't seem to trip over any info regarding these cases and small primers. I only fired the one cartridge so far but brass for this gun is hard to get right now......I am assuming a small pistol primer is what I will need to reload these cases. Anyone run across this before ????? I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use small rifle primers. The pocket measures .173 wide by.125 deep....

HWooldridge
09-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Dominion was an old Canadian manufacturer. They wouldn’t necessarily have used standard small primers. Might be worth more to collectors.

elk hunter
09-09-2023, 09:42 AM
Even old US made 44-40 brass can be found with both large and small primer pockets. I use pistol primers in mine.

Reg
09-09-2023, 09:59 AM
Dominion was good brass and most likely they were a standard small primer. Pop one out and see.

Tall
09-09-2023, 11:52 AM
I got some 38 WCF ammo that was loaded with black powder. I pulled all the bullets, dumped the powder and then pulled all the primers. The box of fifty was small pistol primed - I reloaded the cases using magnum small pistol primers and smokeless powder. Yours are probably the same, I would use magnum small pistol primers. That's a great big case.

RyanJames170
09-09-2023, 05:09 PM
I was gifted some old ammunition for my 44-40 by a friend [24 pcs.]. The cases are Dominion Cartridge Co and appear to be original. They have a copper jacket and flat soft nosed bullet. I fired one out of my 1860 Henry and it seemed to like them just fine. In looking at possibly reloading these I found the primer pocket is way too small for a large pistol primer. I can't seem to trip over any info regarding these cases and small primers. I only fired the one cartridge so far but brass for this gun is hard to get right now......I am assuming a small pistol primer is what I will need to reload these cases. Anyone run across this before ????? I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use small rifle primers. The pocket measures .173 wide by.125 deep....

As far as size small rifle and small pistol primers are the same size, I would think a standard small rifle primer would be ok as long as you did not start with a max load, I honestly think small rifle primers would have less priming compound then large pistol.. the only issue I could see you having is setting off magnum or military primers.