PDA

View Full Version : Are Caldwell chronographs any good?

bluesman423
09-06-2023, 11:09 PM
Yes, I am a tightwad and would seldom use it.

Are the Caldwell chronographs suitable for occasional use?

I will be shooting mostly 357, 44 mag and 45 Colt through both rifles and revolvers.

michael.birdsley
09-07-2023, 01:15 AM
I use mine all the time and it works good. i’ve had it since 2017. they are worth the money. honestly i couldn’t imagine working up loads with out. it’s a great value piece of equipment. Are there better one’s on the market ? probably but, the caldwell works and is accurate enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluesman423
09-07-2023, 02:52 AM
I use mine all the time and it works good. i’ve had it since 2017. they are worth the money. honestly i couldn’t imagine working up loads with out. it’s a great value piece of equipment. Are there better one’s on the market ? probably but, the caldwell works and is accurate enough.

Thanks ..... I think I will order one tomorrow.

MrWolf
09-07-2023, 07:57 AM
Same. I liked mine. Get yourself some thin wooden dowels to use as screen supports. You can thank me later after you've shot one:drinks:. I have picked up a LabRadar unit but haven't had time to use it as reloading took a back burner for a bit.

michael.birdsley
09-07-2023, 02:42 PM
Same. I liked mine. Get yourself some thin wooden dowels to use as screen supports. You can thank me later after you've shot one:drinks:. I have picked up a LabRadar unit but haven't had time to use it as reloading took a back burner for a bit.

i shot 2 out 4 of my supports. didn’t snap them in half but, bent the very badly. luckily i bought replacements from caldwell this summer. there only like $3 a piece.

i didn’t even think about dowels. that would be a quick local replacement idea

kungfustyle
09-07-2023, 03:10 PM
Keep fresh batteries with it. When you start getting funky readings replace the batteries. By the way the app for the phone will only work for a bit. They don't upgrade when phones upgrade. Mine doesn't work with my new phone's app.

Hick
09-07-2023, 09:22 PM
I like mine as well. Yes, I have shot a support-- replaced it with a piece of steel rod from a hardware store. I had one problem with mine-- the display stopped showing the far left digit-- called them on the phone and they mailed me a new plug-in display at no charge. Great product and good service.

charlie b
09-07-2023, 09:55 PM
Yep, the less expensive ones work fine.

FWIW, after I shot my first one, many decades ago, I got a piece of 1" lexan and put it in front of the chrono.

Just have to pay attention to setting it up and the sun location. I got so frustrated with mine (I shoot at sunrise) that I got a Labradar (I use a chrono a LOT).

35 Rem
10-20-2023, 06:17 PM
I recently bought the Premium Chronograph Kit and so far am well pleased with it. The Kit gets you a tripod and also I think it's the only one with LED sunshades. I'm only using it for 1 at a time velocity readings so can't give any input about the other features.

My only other Chronograph was an original Chrony bought back in 1988 when I had a 22 CHeetah and was obsessed with knowing I had achieved 4,000 ft/sec. It worked fine until just a few months ago.