PDA

View Full Version : World Champion squirrel cook-off

Handloader109
09-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Coming Soon, up here in Springdale Arkansas in a couple of weeks. Plenty of competitions,shooting, squirrel cleaning, and the cook-off. Come one come All...
More info at

https://www.facebook.com/squirrelcookoff?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Handloader109
09-05-2023, 05:06 PM
And if you think that is sumtin, take a look at this.

https://fb.watch/mTkubfcTmA/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
09-06-2023, 08:21 AM
Amazing! I had no idea squirrels could cook.

Iron369
09-06-2023, 08:26 AM
Amazing! I had no idea squirrels could cook.

Hahaha. I got a mental image.
I was think more like cooking a grenade. Yank it’s tail and chuck it at a combatant foe.

stubshaft
09-06-2023, 04:06 PM
Looks like a great time.

Tall
09-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Well it's in Arkansas which makes a little sense. But here in Oklahoma it's a staple.

Finster101
09-07-2023, 12:37 PM
Having eaten them a fair amount when I was a kid, cause I had to and did not like them then, I believe I will skip this event. For me there is no way to make squirrel taste good.

KCSO
09-10-2023, 05:23 PM
Whee doggies, would lobe to go to that cookoff! Out !muzzle loading club had a squirrel hunt and feed every year till the late 90s. I miss it.

snowwolfe
09-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Riveting topic:)

fiberoptik
09-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Whee doggies, would lobe to go to that cookoff! Out !muzzle loading club had a squirrel hunt and feed every year till the late 90s. I miss it.

I could go for that! That was my reason for getting into them in the first place!

MaryB
09-11-2023, 06:00 PM
Squirrel stew! I love tree rats! Used to make it at least twice a week during hunting season. Some biscuits on the side... good eats!

abunaitoo
09-15-2023, 12:51 AM
My sister, from Tennessee, is here for vacation.
Had a dinner with her last night.
Got to taking about cooking, and I asked her about eating squirrel.
She never tried it.
A while ago, I remember asking her if she pick up some and bring it for me.
She said she's not seen it in stores.
People just shoot their own.
I didn't know there was a squirrel season.
I've always wanted to try squirrel and nutria.
Do they both taste like chicken???

gwpercle
09-15-2023, 11:12 AM
She never tried it.

Not really ... Nutria taste more like Armadillo than chicken !
Gary

ioon44
09-15-2023, 11:18 AM
I just had a squirrel jump on to my transformer, knocked out our power for a bit and looks like the squirrel was cooked before it hit the ground.

fiberoptik
09-15-2023, 12:44 PM
Not really ... Nutria taste more like Armadillo than chicken !
Gary

Rat tastes like beef. Dog tastes like a cross between turkey and chicken. Rattlesnake tastes like chicken. Monkey’s good eating too!

MaryB
09-15-2023, 10:16 PM
I just had a squirrel jump on to my transformer, knocked out our power for a bit and looks like the squirrel was cooked before it hit the ground.

Had one do that at a farmhouse I was renting. Got home from work to half the grove on fire... and a crispy fried squirrel laying in burned dead leaves at the base of the pole and the fuse blown!

abunaitoo
09-18-2023, 02:37 AM
"Not really ... Nutria taste more like Armadillo than chicken !
Gary"

Not much help.
We don't have those here either.
Never ate rat, dog, cat, I've had snake once.
Nothing special.

choctaw/creek
09-26-2023, 03:02 PM
She never tried it.

Never had nutria but squirrel tastes like squirrel for lack of a better comparison. It depends mostly on how it's handled after you shoot them and prep before cooking. My grandmother used to fry it like chicken after soaking it for a few hours in salt water and then buttermilk. Fried squirrel with biscuits and gravy is hard to beat if you're hungry. Several years ago a man that was from the Louisiana swamps that worked for me brined his squirrels in pineapple and orange juice then smoked them over different hardwoods. His favorite part was the brains (not for me) but the squirrel was excellent.

DCB
09-26-2023, 03:15 PM
Squack and gravy with dumplins best you ever had.

Sig556r
09-26-2023, 04:52 PM
Bet it tastes like chicken…

gwpercle
09-26-2023, 06:48 PM
Squirrel stew! I love tree rats! Used to make it at least twice a week during hunting season. Some biscuits on the side... good eats!

Have had many a wonderful meal of Squirrel stew with the rich brown gravy and hot biscuits to sop it up with !

One question ...
...do you like them cooked with the heads left on ?

For those who don't know , squirrel brains are considered by some to be very tasty .
My brother would start a fist-fight if he weren't allowed his share , he relished sucking the brains out of the skull just like you would suck the head of a boiled crawfish ...
Talk about Good Eats :drinks:
Gary

MaryB
09-27-2023, 12:36 PM
Have had many a wonderful meal of Squirrel stew with the rich brown gravy and hot biscuits to sop it up with !

One question ...
...do you like them cooked with the heads left on ?

For those who don't know , squirrel brains are considered by some to be very tasty .
My brother would start a fist-fight if he weren't allowed his share , he relished sucking the brains out of the skull just like you would suck the head of a boiled crawfish ...
Talk about Good Eats :drinks:
Gary

No on the brains... I seem to remember a story in the last year or so of someone getting a disease from eating them...

shooterg
10-01-2023, 10:44 PM
60 years back my NaNa Dean insisted I shoot squirrels in the neck with my .22 so as not to ruin the brain . Never tried the brains, loved the fried squirrels and gravy w/biscuits.

gwpercle
10-02-2023, 12:36 PM
60 years back my NaNa Dean insisted I shoot squirrels in the neck with my .22 so as not to ruin the brain . Never tried the brains, loved the fried squirrels and gravy w/biscuits.

:goodpost:
LIKE !

Your Nana knew how to fix em ... Neck shots only ... Awesome !
Sounds Just like what my Mom would tell us !

When it came to food , she didn't let much go to waste .
Gary

BD
10-05-2023, 03:23 PM
I ate a lot of squirrel when I was younger. I'd sit in the oak grove and read a book until one showed, shoot it with the single shot .22 and go back to reading. If I didn't get up and move around pretty soon another one would turn up. I'd spend whole afternoons hunting that way. I'd clean them, skin them and soak them in the fridge in salt water overnight, then fry them on low heat in butter on a bed of vegetables using an electric skillet with a cover as my grandmother Shenck taught me.
When I was older and working in the paper mill I'd often take a cooked one in for lunch. We ate in a large lunch room with one wall of food dispensing machines that had crappy pre made sandwiches and burritos for the microwave. I'd heat my squirrel and veggies up in the microwave and when the secretaries at the next table would ask, "what's that!" , I'd say "cat", (like it was nothing unusual), and that would get a good reaction out of them.

Gray Fox
10-05-2023, 03:35 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, squirrel was one of the main ingredients of true southern Brunswick stew.

shooterg
10-06-2023, 10:08 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, squirrel was one of the main ingredients of true southern Brunswick stew.

Absolutely - squirrel and venison - just tell everyone it's beef and chicken !!