PDA

View Full Version : Need info for Win94 receiver sights

cephas53
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Howdy, I am considering adding a receiver sight, and a globe front sight on a pre-64, Win94 carbine. Searching through previous posts it was mentioned many rifles of this era were factory drilled for a receiver sight. Are these the two screws mentioned for mounting? http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/cephas53/winscrews-1.jpg If so are all receiver sights standard for mounting or should I be on the look out for particular brands? If you have done this please add any pertinent info. Thanks and have a good one!

FromTheWoods
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Indeed, you've found them.

My rifles are older and don't have those screws/holes. I prefer to mount tang sights on them.

I haven't researched nor shot with receiver sights, so someone else here will be able to give you good suggestions on companies and models for your rifle.

Experts who would be the last-word for you are at: http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/index.php. I've found no other group so knowledgeable regarding Winchesters as are these fellows. They can tell you which sight is best for your needs.

One thing to expect, you will see an increase in your accuracy after you install that receiver sight!

Don McDowell
02-13-2009, 12:37 AM
The Lyman 66, and the williams fp series should either one fit that rifle.
The Lyman 17a globe is a good sight altho , you may run into problems mounting the globe on top of the ramp. That'll make it pretty tough to get enough elevation out of the receiver sight to make any distance. 100 yds might be about as far as it gets.

02-13-2009, 01:56 AM
As Don suggested, the Williams & Lymans are what you want. Put 'em on first and try them with your front sight unaltered. You may like it just like that. If you want a new front sight, that can be phase two of your project.

Gerry N.
02-13-2009, 02:28 AM
As Don suggested, the Williams & Lymans are what you want. Put 'em on first and try them with your front sight unaltered. You may like it just like that. If you want a new front sight, that can be phase two of your project.

A suggestion if I may, from forty years of experience. Try the Williams 5D reciever sight. It's got a lot fewer bits sticking up and out to grab things. It's also cheaper by far than the Williams FP and Lyman. Also if you can find one try the Redfield Sourdough Patridge front blade with a gold insert. Good combination, especially with the screw in aperture in the rear sight removed. Out to a hundred or a hundred and twenty five or so yards, it's as accurate and easier to acquire the target than a scope as well as a pound or so lighter.

Gerry N.

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2009, 03:16 AM
A suggestion if I may, from forty years of experience. Try the Williams 5D reciever sight. It's got a lot fewer bits sticking up and out to grab things. It's also cheaper by far than the Williams FP and Lyman. Also if you can find one try the Redfield Sourdough Patridge front blade with a gold insert. Good combination, especially with the screw in aperture in the rear sight removed. Out to a hundred or a hundred and twenty five or so yards, it's as accurate and easier to acquire the target than a scope as well as a pound or so lighter.

Gerry N.

I have a Lyman on my 375 and that is the only reciever sight that I can think of on a 94 (there's probably another down there, but I can't think of any at the moment :) It is a neat sight.

All of my other reciever sights on 94s have been foolproofs. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the sight, but in reality I never touched these once I zeroed them, so the adjustment factor was a bit superfulous. I can't say that I've seen the 5rs out here, they probably just import FPs. I've had them on Mausers, etc and they are a good bit of gear. I used to carry the sight with aperature if it was bright and sunny and I was in open country and screw it out and pop it in my fob/coin pocket if the brush got thick or the light started to go.

Those sourdoughs are one good front sight.

primersp
02-13-2009, 05:20 AM
hello
i have a lyman on my 94 30x30 for 20 years ,at the begining also a front globe
17 lyman ,but now i take off
i like the lyman because it's all steel .
for a marlin i move to SKINNER sights ,more compact and rugged it's better for hunting also less expensive
regards
ANDRE

northmn
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
The Williams 5D has worked fine for me. Depending on how many different loads you may want to shoot, bu tI generally sight it in and leave it on a lot of rifles. Can claim a few years myself. Never used a globe sight or as mentioned took it off.

Northmn

helice
02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
+1 to North Minn. I too like the 5D. It's near impossible to goof them up. Get it sighted in and forget it. If you decide on a different load --well-- its time to get a different rifle. Lever guns are like cordless drills. A man can't have too many of them. Keep writing! I'm listening! Helice

Hipshot
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Trivia-----Williams 5D stood for $5.00 (5 DOLLARS) ! Have a couple but don't know what they go for now !

Hip

pietro
02-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Many different brands of receiver peep sights were made to fit your rifle's receiver and hole spacing - but they were all not created equal, as you may well guess.

Generally, older, vintage sights (Lyman, Redfield, etc) were made of steel, while the newer Lyman's (Redfields are no longer made) and both the Williams FoolProof (FP) and FiveDollar (5D) are made of a non-ferrous metal (probably aluminum).

Each gun owner can decide what material/style is best for their rifle.

Lyman's and William FP's both are available with either raised target adjustment knobs or low/domed(Lyman) or flush (FP) adjustments, both click-style.
The 5D's adjustments are best for guns using a single load, where the rifle will be sighted-in and the sights pretty much left alone afterward - since it's adjustments are of the grub screw type, where a screw is loosened, the sight moved, and the screw retightened.

New Lyman's and FP's run about $60-70 @ MidwayUSA or Brownell's, with a new 5D about half that $$.

Used sights can run from a steal to highway robbery. ;)

On another note - Globe sights are great for target shooting, but IMO not as good as a Sourdough Patridge or Ivory bead or Fiber-optic (Williams Firesight/Hi-Viz/TRU-GLO) bead for hunting.

BTW - Williams markets a Firesight Set, peep & FO front of the correct height, for your rifle - IF you decide to go that way.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/63331fp94seset.jpg

cephas53
02-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Update: Thanks for all the good information. Placed the Williams 5d on her and kept the original front. Shooting bench is currently frozen over, so I played around with it out to 50 steps, using a sawhorse as a front rest. http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/cephas53/winpeep.jpg Load is the 115 gr Lyman I talked about in an earlier post.