PDA

View Full Version : Bent Boolits

Paul B
01-22-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a problem. I recently bought an old Ideal (no mention of Lyman) #308284 that casts a beautiful bullet with the dimensions I want. Nose .3005", rings .3120", gas check a perfectly tight fit as they should be. Ran a batch of 165 boolits to use in some test loadings I'm interested in for a Browning 1895 Winchester replica.
So now to the problem. These "perfect" boolits bend every time I run them through the luber/sizer. Some were as much as 1/32" off when I looked them over. Now, I know they ain't gonna shoot worth squat as they are, so what to do?
I could pull the bottom stop screw off the luber/sizer and run them nose first, but if I do so, can I also lube them as well? BTW, I am using a .311" sizing die.
In all the years I've been casting boolits, I've never used a bullet that heavy or that long before, so any ideas that might help, holler way.
Paul B.

Maven
01-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Paul B, Am I correct in surmising that the sizer doesn't bend other (shorter) CB's? If it isn't the sizer, are you using a top punch that supports the bullet nose? Also, it is possible that the alloy is too hard and you're using too much pressure to force them through the sizing die (tapered "throat"?). Will they bend if you apply case sizing lube first and then size them? Frankly I'm a bit puzzled as I have #311284, which I size to .310" and .311" in my Lyman 450 and haven't experienced any problems at all.

Recommendations: (1) Sizing lube first then base first trip thru the die. If this doesn't work, (2) Sizing lube first, then resize them nose first. (3) If these two don't work, consider a Lee .311" die, which is a nose first proposition. In any event, after sizing, lube them in a .312" die. Btw, although it is possible for a lube sizer to be out of alignment (wear, abuse, poor quality control by manufacturer, etc.), I don't think that's the most likely explanation. Please let us know how you fare.

Buckshot
01-23-2006, 02:45 AM
.................Main culprit is that dirt scraper groove in front of the top drive band. A weak spot that will pickup on your press's misalignment, and/or excessive pressure. I've done that too. Lube-sized a bunch and noticed a few were bent. Inspected more and found more bent ones.

I'd suggest Maven's idea and run them up through a push through die of the desired diameter and then they do the trip into the lube press. Conversely lube-size in a .312" die and then a trip up through a .311" nose first job.

.................Buckshot

Paul B
01-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys. I've never had any problems of that nature with any of my other molds and this one threw me for a loop. I figure this mold is older than I am, and I'm pushin' 68. It does cast a fantasicly beautiful bullet though and I'm itching to get it shooting.
Paul B.