PDA

View Full Version : Ford Flex am radio noise tip

firefly1957
09-04-2023, 09:34 AM
When I am listening to am radio sometimes when I open and close the door at the mail box I notice a burst of digital noise on the radio .
Yesterday it was constant more noise then all but the strongest stations , those AM stations are nearly or over 100 miles from me. I live on a dirt road and last week it was sprayed with nasty smelly brine from the local oil wells . The smell was so strong smelling for three days I walked the dog on my property not the road. After driving to where I was going I checked the outside of the car over no partially opened doors that did not show on the information center BUT the four disks in the bumper for the back up aide were covered with mud . Wiping off that mud stopped the radio interference completely .

I really have not looked into how this feature functions and have no idea why it would work while driving forward ? The little I have read in the past on the back assist feature said it was ultra sonic sound waves .

P.S. I was never happy with my 2015 Silverado backup lights and installed a 13" 2400 lumen light bar that light also cuts out AM radio when in use .[smilie=b:

MUSTANG
09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Noise on your radio can come from three sources: (1) Radio Frequency devices and induced RF Noise from High Power Lines, (2) induced noise over power wiring and other electrical wiring (ever hear an up and down cycle sound on the radio when parked and pushing gas pedal up and down? - coming from alternator often, (3) poor grounding or corroded grounding.

firefly1957
09-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Mustang it is definitely #2 and a digital signal from the cars own system as stated only other times I have heard it was opening the door getting out and back in with car running . I posted incase others notice the same it was a fix I did not expect I would think the rear proximately sensors would be off driving down the road ? When I backed out of the garage I had no backup camera and got out to clean it off . in the garage I no longer have AM reception since I installed a Night owl security camera it is the 12 volt camera power supply that creates the noise I have illuminated it by going to a full battery power supply for the unit and cameras but it does not work out for long term well . Some L.E.D. lights cause issues also both on AM & FM bands grow lights seem to be the worst when a neighbor was using them a 1/4 mile away I got AM radio noise even on battery powered radios away from my house.
Atmospheric and electrical line noise is getting worse and worse today I have gotten it in a area nearly three miles from a powerline while my truck was off . The noise also is frequency specific getting stronger at some wavelengths and weaker at others on a pocket radio with a signal strength meter.

I once discovered a bad diode in my alternator because of radio noise in my 1973 Charger but not before it cost me a battery .

MaryB
09-05-2023, 03:34 AM
Clip on ferrite chokes for cables with noise on them like the above mentioned camera power supply https://www.amazon.com/Tamicy-Pieces-Ferrite-Suppressor-Diameter/dp/B08BPHCXR3?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1PM2YIORQHN27 I have dozens of them all over the house to eliminate noise in my ham radios... smaller ones on wall warts, biggest on computer monitor cables... in a car placed on sensor cables at the sensor may knock noise down...

Yes Radio Frequency Interference(RFI) is getting worse year by year as more and more cheap Chinese garbage is bought. None of it meets FCC standards...

firefly1957
09-05-2023, 07:11 AM
thank you MaryB I have some around I have removed from bad electronics in the past never thought of using them I can not install them on my stereo in workshop that is giving me issues but it will be easy to put inline of the LED light bar on my pickup. I would need two for security camera system I may be able to do them with parts on hand it would be good to get AM radio in workshop again .

I have been looking at RF filters for ac lines and most places are out of stock or very expensive these should be a easy fix for a few things around the house .
I have three older stereos all of them are having a terrible time receiving a fairly local FM radio station at 103.1 so does my C.C. Crane pocket radio at times . I am sure it is due to something over electric lines as it is not a issue in either vehicle when not in garage.

Soundguy
09-05-2023, 07:31 AM
Lots of vehicles use radar for proximity sensors..crash detection/avoidance..etc..

MUSTANG
09-05-2023, 09:31 AM
On AC Power lines; we are seeing more and more "Other Signals" being introduced. We have a water heater control unit that allows the Power Company to shut the Water Heater off for short periods during peak usage times of the day. There are a variety of Adapters for allowing Ethernet over AC Power (localized on customer side of transformer and a single leg of the power). And many others.

I saw a few weeks ago that the Electric Car Manufacturers wanted to "Do Away With" AM radio on electric cars because of problems. Congress supposedly intervened and is twisting arms to keep AM radios in EV's.

I believe Mary B's suggestion is the most probable solution.

firefly1957
09-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Mustang I know someone that was talked into smart control of her appliances and now during peak times her A/C/ is shut down!
I have a electric meter that does use cell towers to send billing data and my electric provider has no more meter readers but I will NEVER get the other smart things they will give away so they can control or monitor them over my internet connection. Right now they want us all to take their free smart thermostat that must be connected to wifi.