PDA

View Full Version : S&W 34-1 question

wcp4570
09-03-2023, 11:43 PM
I have a nice old S&W M34-1 and tonight I won an auction on Gun Broker for a complete parts kit from Gunbusers for the 34. I bought it mainly for the target grips that were included but the spare parts will serve as spares for my current gun. I got to thinking about the cylinder that I will be receiving and here is my question. Would it be feasible to have the spare cylinder rechambered to 22Mag? I know that the bore size on the 22LR is a thousand smaller that the 22Mag. Would this be a problem? Thanks

wcp

LAGS
09-04-2023, 12:10 AM
Did you slug the Barrel on the Old Pistol.
Who knows.
It might be a little worn and the larger bore diameter you will need for the 22 mag.
But for the most part.
A 22 LR bore is just a little tight for the 22 mag larger slug.
Plus the mag is a higher pressure cartridge.
The tight bore might cause the pressure to go up even more.

M-Tecs
09-04-2023, 12:23 AM
Not recommending it or not recommending but I know of several Single Six's convertibles that have been rebarreled to .222" barrels. They haven't had issue firing 22 Mags.

msinc
09-23-2023, 12:16 AM
Had no idea, and never heard that the bores were different....I have several revolvers that have both a 22LR cylinder and a 22 magnum cylinder. Have shot both thru the same barrel on these guns, without issue. I just got rid of a 34-1 and will probably regret it. I don't see why it couldn't be chambered for 22 magnum.