PDA

View Full Version : Silly Asking Prices

376Steyr
09-02-2023, 03:20 PM
I stopped in at a strip mall gunstore to see what they had. Clerk asked what I was looking for, I told him I liked older Smith and Wessons. Clerk pulls out an older M&P, 5" pencil barrel, with a lot of uneven blue wear. I'm mildly interested, then I looked at the price tag: $900. I thanked him and beat feet out of there.

Anybody have any similar stories of close encounters of the wildly over-priced kind? Sticking to handguns, please, as I really don't want to hear about your dating life. :-P

LAGS
09-02-2023, 03:35 PM
That does seem a little overpriced.
A guy offered me only $800 for a 5" Victory model S&W

Outpost75
09-02-2023, 03:53 PM
In the last 30 days I've bought four various used S&Ws, 2-inch, 3-inch and 4-inch barrels, guns all in nice 85-90% honest used condition, original unmodified ex-cop guns from Top 100 sellers off Gunbroker.

Did not pay over $450 for any of them.

Murphy
09-02-2023, 10:02 PM
Now and then I amble over to Gunbroker just to see what older S&W K and N frames mostly are going for. More than likely, I'll only leave wondering if people have lost their minds? Or is that what they're really going for these days? I'm 69 years old and strongly lean towards the blued guns from days of old, Model 10's, 14's, 15', etc in K frame...hard to believe what some are priced at. N frames are another story, you just have to add a few more hundred for Model 28's. Pristine ones on upwards of $1,000. A pre-lock Model 29? Crazy prices. Oh well.

Murphy

stubshaft
09-02-2023, 10:47 PM
That's pretty much what I've seen at the LGS. People are going nuts over CCW guns and glocks and they are being offered at ridiculous prices. That being said, I managed to pick up a virtually NIB Seville 7 1/2" revolver in 357 Max. for $500.00.

The sheeple are only interested in what the gun rags are promoting and have no clue as to the actual value of consignment guns.

TNsailorman
09-03-2023, 12:14 AM
Seems like people have become rich overnight or gone brain dead. I bought a almost pristine Model 13 some 3 or 4 years ago off an ex-cop for $500.00 and a full box of ammo. Felt like I had agreed to a bad deal until I started seeing price lately. There is a local selling outfit here (internet) and the prices on that place make Gun Broker look like a bargain basement seller. Guy on there has a Taurus 605? and he is asking something like $900.00 for it. Another guy has a Kel Teck 9mm carbine and is asking $1600.00 for it. Most of the guns on that site are just sitting for weeks on end with no buyers. But they keep asking those ridiculous prices and they continue to sit. I saw a box of common 30-06 ammo and the asking price was $85.00. Another guy had 5 20 round boxes of ammo and was asking over $300.00 for it. You would think that everything they have for sell is gold plated at the asking price. oh well, vent over, James

M-Tecs
09-03-2023, 12:23 AM
I've been noting that the price of used firearms seems to be getting out of line in the last couple of years than I compare them to the prices of new. New seems to have increased more.

uscra112
09-03-2023, 02:48 AM
I've been watching a small lot of reloading tools on Gunbroker, priced at about double what you can buy it for new. Everything that seller has is priced that way. Greed? Ignorance?

Reg
09-03-2023, 08:56 AM
Only thing worse than the crazy prices is there are those out there that don’t seem to mind paying them and they are there!

John Guedry
09-03-2023, 09:29 AM
People vote with their checkbook. You want "WHAT"? I guess I don't need one that bad.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2023, 09:29 AM
SNIP>>>

Silly Asking Prices
Not silly, it's the new normal.
But there will always be deals out there

A friend recently bought a minty 5.5" blued Redhawk in 41 mag for $1200, he thought it was a great deal.
I thought it was a silly price...until I looked around for one. Yep, it's the new normal.

Texas by God
09-03-2023, 09:32 AM
I look at the Texas Gun Trader on a weekly basis to see if a bargain accidentally shows up.
It’s been a while since one has; although this week there was a Hi-point .45 carbine for $200.
There was a Savage Axis on there for $800 [emoji849]
A Super Blackhawk for $1000.
THOSE kind of deals are the norm it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pietro
09-03-2023, 10:32 AM

It looks like my retirement fund ( I invested in guns) is looking up......... :drinks:

JoeJames
09-03-2023, 10:35 AM
A silver lining: I have noticed for the last several years that the younger buyers just flat out do not haggle over the tag price. I have sold some I had bought many years ago. I had them tagged with a whole of wiggle room. But with the young buyers; if they want it, they will pony up the tag price without comment. Quite phenomenal.

rockrat
09-03-2023, 10:47 AM
I have noticed that about the younger crowd too. Never been taught to haggle. Grandad taught me well. Told me always be prepared to walk away.

kerplode
09-03-2023, 12:59 PM
I have noticed that about the younger crowd too. Never been taught to haggle.

I'm neither cheap enough nor poor enough to want to waste my valuable time on all that nonsense. Actually, when it comes right down to it, the maximum interaction I ever want to have with a seller is getting back my change...My preference is to not talk to them at all. I don't care about their BS and I'm certainly not going to stand there jaw-jacking back and forth to save $5. If the marked price for something is "worth it" to me, I'll hand over the cash. If not, I'll move on without a word. Somebody else can waste their time making an offer.

shooting on a shoestring
09-03-2023, 03:28 PM
Plus on on what Keplode said^^^.
I don’t haggle at the gas pump, the grocery store or at a restaurant.
At my LGS I know their markup on new guns is only about 10-15%.
I don’t haggle them either. I see their vehicles and know where they live. They aren’t getting rich and I do want them to make enough money to keep their store open. If there was a tip jar on their counter I’d probably drop a buck in the bucket once in a while.

Silly prices…..I think that’s largely due to ignorance. I’ve personally seen at a Cabela’s Gun Library a used 629-6 priced at $1599 when there was a new 629-6 in their new gun counter for $1099. The clerk on duty in the Gun Library knew it too. He didn’t set the prices. That was up to the young lady who was the Gun Library Manager. Her comparison was a 629-4 4” Mountain Gun. It sold for $1599 so she priced her 629-6 6” at $1599. Ignorance.

I was at a gun shop recently that had several consignment pieces from an estate. There was a minty Browning Baby with its second magazine in a box priced at $275. As I was looking at it I asked the clerk if that price was correct. He said yes the gun is only a 25 and no one wants those. Turns out I did!

In the same batch of estate guns was a very used Sistema Colt. No markings on the slide indicating Argentine Army, Navy or Air Force. There was a mix of thin blueing, rust pits, nicks and dings on the outside. I’d call it poor condition. The magazine was stuck in it. The barrel was a replacement. Only the slide and the frame had matching serial numbers. They have it priced at $700. To me that is a silly price for a rusty old mil spec 1911 made in Argentina.

M-Tecs
09-03-2023, 03:57 PM
There is a time and a place to negotiate. There is also an art to negotiation. I purchased a new truck this year. I was told the price was MSRP or nothing. When it was all said and done,
I got the truck for $4,800 under MSRP.

I just purchased a used Remington SP-10 10-gauge magnum. Starting price was $1,250. I paid $850.

In the past 50 plus years of negotiating prices I have saved well over $200,000.00. When I built my current house, the builder wanted $20K more than I wanted to pay to do Spancrete in the garage so I could have my shop in the basement under the garage. I got my basement shop for the price I wanted to pay.

On the flip side I have made a significant amount more money negotiating for higher wages. In one case it was $5.50 an hour. That over $10K a year. I only stayed there a couple of years but was a baseline to start negotiating the new wages.

I can't criticize anyone for asking whatever they want to ask. I do blame people for paying silly prices. If people stop paying the silly prices the prices will come down. Ultimately market prices are set by what the market will bear.

When selling I love people that don't know or understand the art of negotiating.

I currently am helping a friend's daughter sell of his estate. We have two prices set. First is what I think I can get her and second is what her bottom line is. She wants the stuff gone in a reasonable amount of time.

Since Cabela’s has been sold, I haven't shopped there. When I did purchase from the gun library, I always paid 10% to 20% less than tag price with one exception. The asking tag price was about $2K under market rate. I didn't want any questions about the tag price so no thought of negotiation, but I did just about break my wrist getting my billfold out.

Most gun shops have a significant margin on used firearms. On new the margin is much less but negotiations are still possible and normally expected. After I retired, I worked part-time at a gun shop for the employee discounts and to get out of the house. I do agree that with the younger generation negotiation skills are limited.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2023, 06:46 PM
There is a time and a place to negotiate. There is also an art to negotiation.

<<<SNIP
I totally agree.
Most of my gun acquiring is at gunshows. Mostly used guns. I can usually tell in a few minutes of chit chat while examining a gun if the seller is a wheeler-dealer like I am, or not. There have been a few occasions, I just pay the price on the tag and finish the transaction. Sometimes, I haggle.
WHY am I posting, I gotta tell ya about a friend of mine. We have gone to many gunshows together...and I've also been with him when he was at a motorcycle dealership, haggling on price. This friend could wear down the Pope. I like to go to a typical size gunshow and am usually ready to go in a couple hours, BUT with this friend, if he is working on a deal...he will spend hours working on a deal, going to other tables, asking questions, going back to the table with the gun he wants every so often. Talk-talk-talk-talk. It's incredible. I can't count the number of times I was ready to leave a gunshow at 11am, and we are still there at 4pm. He always says 4 to 5 is the golden hour for deal making. Back to the motorcycle dealership, can you believe the salesman got so sick and tired of him, that he walked away, then the salesman send over the manager...and my friend wore out the manager...LOL...the manager just retreated to his office for a phone call and never came back out. I felt like I was in a episode of Seinfeld.

justindad
09-03-2023, 06:58 PM
There’s a whole lot of dinks in this younger generation - dual income, no kids.

M-Tecs
09-03-2023, 07:44 PM
I totally agree.
Most of my gun acquiring is at gunshows. Mostly used guns. I can usually tell in a few minutes of chit chat while examining a gun if the seller is a wheeler-dealer like I am, or not. There have been a few occasions, I just pay the price on the tag and finish the transaction. Sometimes, I haggle.
WHY am I posting, I gotta tell ya about a friend of mine. We have gone to many gunshows together...and I've also been with him when he was at a motorcycle dealership, haggling on price. This friend could wear down the Pope. I like to go to a typical size gunshow and am usually ready to go in a couple hours, BUT with this friend, if he is working on a deal...he will spend hours working on a deal, going to other tables, asking questions, going back to the table with the gun he wants every so often. Talk-talk-talk-talk. It's incredible. I can't count the number of times I was ready to leave a gunshow at 11am, and we are still there at 4pm. He always says 4 to 5 is the golden hour for deal making. Back to the motorcycle dealership, can you believe the salesman got so sick and tired of him, that he walked away, then the salesman send over the manager...and my friend wore out the manager...LOL...the manager just retreated to his office for a phone call and never came back out. I felt like I was in a episode of Seinfeld.

The first car that I purchased was a 1972 Delta 88 Oldsmobile with a 455 engine. That was in July of 1976. That has at the height of Jimmy Carter's oil crisis. The dealership first listed it at $1,795.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,595.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,395.00. I had just turned 16 at the time. I had a buddy give me a ride to the dealership. After about an hour I was ready to agree to $795.00 but the salesman stated that if I could not afford it, I should be looking for something cheaper. That ticked me off so 2 hours later I agreed to purchase at $595.00. The general manager had to step in. When it came time to pay you should have seen the salesman face when I pulled out 30 $100 bills. At the time I was making $1.95 pumping gas after HS.

Later when I was in college, I need a different used car. They were asking $3,995.00 for the one I wanted. Four hours later it was mine for $2,500.00

Back to gun shows. The last hour on Saturday is very good since lots of the sellers have their eye on something they want cash on hand for Sunday morning before the show is open to the general public. On Sunday the last hour is very good also but that can be more hit and miss.

bedbugbilly
09-03-2023, 08:43 PM
Gee . . . . my 5" pencil barrel S & W M & P MUST be worth at least $1,200.00 then, 'cause IT HAS A HOLSTER!
Mine was born the same year I was - unfortunately it still look great while I show my age! :-)

dverna
09-03-2023, 11:20 PM
Gee . . . . my 5" pencil barrel S & W M & P MUST be worth at least $1,200.00 then, 'cause IT HAS A HOLSTER!
Mine was born the same year I was - unfortunately it still look great while I show my age! :-)

Ain’t that the truth!

michael.birdsley
09-03-2023, 11:39 PM
I have noticed that about the younger crowd too. Never been taught to haggle. Grandad taught me well. Told me always be prepared to walk away.

you are correct. if i think it’s a fair price i buy it. if it isn’t a price i’m willing to pay than I don’t buy it. I don’t have time to haggle over price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
09-03-2023, 11:54 PM
The "time" argument doesn't fly with my personal experience. Using my first car purchase as an example a couple of hours negotiations saved me over 400 hours of labor required to equal the money I would have expended had I not negotiated. Same for the $200K plus I have saved over the last 50 years.

Personally I enjoy negotiating. Some don't feel the same way.

dverna
09-04-2023, 07:27 AM
I find most people haggle. But I do not interact much with folks under 25.

When I list an item on Craig's list I add in "wiggle room" unless I am selling firewood.

When I list something here, I put what I think is a fair price.

georgerkahn
09-04-2023, 07:58 AM
One of my "tricks" is to ask if seller accepts "plastic" (credit cards) and if so, suggest that should give a 4% cash discount. 99% of the time, this works. Of course, the asking price must be in an acceptable-to-me range. A while back a nearby (65km / 40 miles) shop took in a Colt Anaconda .44 in stainless, and I had to see it. In the back of my mind, I reckoned, too, that I could go one grand for it with perhaps as much as an extra $200 for MY "want". The tag price on this firearm, albeit it came with original box and papers? $2,350.00 USD! Dealer also had a 6" ss Colt Python for $2,100. By happenstance I spied an old Marlin 27S .25-20 at a high-but-doable price. I tried the "cash" discount and floundered about a bit; joked re my kids needing to walk to and from school -- both ways uphill, barefoot in the snow -- at his asking price. Bion, he dropped to a lower price than I had hoped for; threw in a (crappy, but still free) set of .25-20 reloading dies, and the firearm followed me home.
I regularly look at it as entertainment rather than haggle. Most all sellers I've known understand it is much easier to lower a price than raise it. If the high price is not questioned...
geo

charlie b
09-04-2023, 09:39 AM
I always post a price well over what I really want for the item. If I want it to sell fast, not much over. If I can take my time a lot over.

The first person to offer me over what I really want gets the gun. Then they can brag about how good they were at negotiating.

When I buy, I offer what I want to spend. If they don't take it I leave my number for them. Sometimes in a week or two I get a phone call accepting my offer.

And, yes, you can almost always get a car cheaper than what the dealer lists it for, especially if they have more of that model on the lot. Also, look around at how many salesmen they have and if they are busy or not. It they are all standing around they will be more desperate for a sale of any kind.

Gun shows. I used to hang out near the door, especially on Sundays. If someone was walking out with a gun they wanted to sell (and I wanted it) I'd offer a low number. Sometimes it works.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2023, 10:01 AM
SNIP>>>

Gun shows. I used to hang out near the door, especially on Sundays. If someone was walking out with a gun they wanted to sell (and I wanted it) I'd offer a low number. Sometimes it works.
I have a table at one local gunshow, it's once a year in Sept...so it's coming up.
I have my table at the far end wall, opposite to the entry. While I miss out on any low priced "walk-in" guns, usually there is no such thing, anyway...I do get to make an offer after the "walk-in" has had a bunch of offers that they refused. Last year, I scored a sweet deal on a minty CZ-452 Lux with extra mags, from a "Walk-in"

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2023, 10:07 AM
SNIP>>>

Back to gun shows.
... On Sunday the last hour is very good also but that can be more hit and miss.

I got a long story about a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet I had been negotiating on (all weekend), with another vendor that was at the show that I had a table at. He wouldn't budge from the price on the ticket...and something about him rubbed me the wrong way, hence my continued haggling and offering up barder items in partial trade(in a jokingly way), all weekend. So, it's Sunday, after show close I am still packing up, he was all packed up and left the parking lot. Then he came back and accepted my cash offer, while his wife was yelling at him.

uscra112
09-04-2023, 11:07 AM
I have to admit that I all but threw a guy out of my house a few years ago. I'd listed a Savage rifle for sale at what I considered a fair price in the local Bargain Hunter, but when he showed up he started denigrating the rifle in ways that I knew weren't true. I think he thought he was "negotiating" with a naive senior citizen, but he thought wrong. Reminded me of "early bird" antique dealers that showed up at a yard sale my mother ran in the '90s after Daddy died. Arrogant as hell.

charlie b
09-04-2023, 03:47 PM
^^^and all of them 'experts' in the field.

Reminds me of a family acquaintance who ran an auction house. He commented that there was a post in the back of the room that made more than a few bids when he needed to 'encourage' bidders.

uscra112
09-04-2023, 04:06 PM
The estate auctioneer nearest me will sell an item to that post if he doesn't get an opening bid quickly enough.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-04-2023, 04:36 PM
It's been a long time since I was in a gun shop. I wonder what my mint condition S&W model 29-2 would bring these days?

1I-Jack
09-04-2023, 04:38 PM
There is a time and a place to negotiate. There is also an art to negotiation. ... I do agree that with the younger generation negotiation skills are limited.

Speaking as someone who never learned the "art of negotiation" maybe someone should start offering classes. I guess my brain just doesn't work that way, but I'm sure I could learn at least to a limited extent. Generally speaking I just look at the price, decide it's worth it or walk away.

M-Tecs
09-04-2023, 05:01 PM
Speaking as someone who never learned the "art of negotiation" maybe someone should start offering classes. I guess my brain just doesn't work that way, but I'm sure I could learn at least to a limited extent. Generally speaking I just look at the price, decide it's worth it or walk away.

Lots of college classes and books/videos available. I've always been good at reading people so negotiating comes naturally to me. I remember negotiating with my parents at 5 or 6 years old and I have very fond memories of negotiating with my first girlfriends. Almost everything in life is a negotiation. Sometimes it's with yourself. I negotiated a lot with myself before I decided if I wanted/needed a new truck and what features I wanted verse keeping the money in the bank.

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/art-negotiation-how-get-more-what-you-want

https://www.karrass.com/?msclkid=1f270791a79e1d62b6066367e3a5a49c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=00%20AMG%20-%20Negotiating%20Seminars%20WO%20Karrass&utm_term=%2Bnegotiation%20%2Bseminar&utm_content=Negotiation%20Seminar

https://www.bing.com/search?q=art+of+negotiation&aqs=edge..69i57&FORM=ANCMS9&PC=W000

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=art+of+negotiation&qpvt=art+of+negotiation&FORM=VDRE

https://www.advanchainge.com/post/is-negotiation-an-art-or-a-science#:~:text=Negotiation%20is%20often%20referre d%20to%20as%20an%20art,and%20communication%20techn iques%20to%20influence%20the%20outcome%20positivel y.
Negotiation is often referred to as an art due to the creative and intuitive aspects involved. Skilled negotiators possess the ability to read people, understand their motivations, and adapt their approach accordingly. They navigate through complex situations, leveraging persuasion and communication techniques to influence the outcome positively.

charlie b
09-04-2023, 07:05 PM
Deciding what you want to pay (or get if selling) is the biggest part. If you don't budge from that you will be 'successful'. They may not sell (or buy) but you will not 'lose'.

shtur
09-04-2023, 07:06 PM
I'm mostly a hand gunner and look at the two most popular handgun forums in addition to this forum. Members of the two handgun forums state it is better to shop on gunbroker than to waste time and entry fee money at a gun show. I agree with them. There are some overpriced handguns on GB, but I have bought a few excellent priced handguns on GB this year and last.

LAGS
09-04-2023, 07:34 PM
The entry fee at a local gun show is still cheaper than what shipping costs from places like GB.

M-Tecs
09-04-2023, 07:44 PM
I liked Gunbrokers a lot more before they started collecting State Sales tax. I have well over 100 purchases on GB. I rarely use it anymore.

Gunshows can be hit and miss. Looking for a new firearm at a gunshow rarely gets you the best deals. Used firearms and miscellaneous items I tend to find good to great deals at gunshows. Last one I went to I purchased a like new Fosters Co-Ax reloading press with a set of 30/06 dies for $40. It's my third and I really don't care for them but I will give it away or sell it for a significant profit. Same show I got an unused Larry Willis Belted Magnum collet resizing sizing die for $10.00. They sell new for $119.99 https://www.larrywillis.com/ I also purchased a used 45 Colt Dillon Carbide Die set in a 650 toolholder and stand for $30.00. Current price for the die set is $125.00 and the toolholder and stand are another $75.00.

At that show powder and primers was more than I was willing to pay but no hazmat on $40 a pound powder or $80 to $100 on a thousand primers is doable if you really need them.

No shipping and no tax on most of the stuff I purchase at shows. If it's from a dealer I normally can get them to throw in the tax at a minimum

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2023, 08:09 PM
I'm mostly a hand gunner and look at the two most popular handgun forums in addition to this forum. Members of the two handgun forums state it is better to shop on gunbroker than to waste time and entry fee money at a gun show. I agree with them. There are some overpriced handguns on GB, but I have bought a few excellent priced handguns on GB this year and last.

To me, gunshows are much like a farm/estate Auction, it's a social event, buying guns is a side benefit ;)
If I didn't enjoy the socializing of a gunshow, I'd agree with you and your friends/members of those other forums.

JoeJames
09-05-2023, 08:46 AM
To me, gunshows are much like a farm/estate Auction, it's a social event, buying guns is a side benefit ;)
If I didn't enjoy the socializing of a gunshow, I'd agree with you and your friends/members of those other forums.I, by birth, heritage, and environment, grew up enjoying haggling. I thought it was a regional Ozark, or Southern Uplands thing, but I was in London, England on Petticoat Lane, and discovered it was not just in the Southern uplands, but maybe world wide. I saw a British Army sweater tagged for 4 pounds. I offered him two, and he replied with the words of the craft: "That's less than wot I've got in it". So we settled on 3 pounds. At local gun shows I usually know most of the dealers and know most have some built in wiggle room, and I also enjoy the visiting.

rockrat
09-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Sometimes you can get stuff at a gun show a lot cheaper than GB. If I see something I want, I figure out what its worth to me and ask what your bottom dollar is, if its close, I will tell them my thought of what I would pay. Sometimes I walk away with the item, sometimes I just walk away.

Jtarm
09-06-2023, 12:04 AM
The first car that I purchased was a 1972 Delta 88 Oldsmobile with a 455 engine. That was in July of 1976. That has at the height of Jimmy Carter's oil crisis. The dealership first listed it at $1,795.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,595.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,395.00. I had just turned 16 at the time. I had a buddy give me a ride to the dealership. After about an hour I was ready to agree to $795.00 but the salesman stated that if I could not afford it, I should be looking for something cheaper. That ticked me off so 2 hours later I agreed to purchase at $595.00. The general manager had to step in. When it came time to pay you should have seen the salesman face when I pulled out 30 $100 bills. At the time I was making $1.95 pumping gas after HS.

Later when I was in college, I need a different used car. They were asking $3,995.00 for the one I wanted. Four hours later it was mine for $2,500.00

Back to gun shows. The last hour on Saturday is very good since lots of the sellers have their eye on something they want cash on hand for Sunday morning before the show is open to the general public. On Sunday the last hour is very good also but that can be more hit and miss.

I used to drive my Dad’s Delta 88 about that same time.

That thing held enough teenagers & beer to be an Octoberfest on wheels.

M-Tecs
09-06-2023, 12:10 AM
I used to drive my Dad’s Delta 88 about that same time.

That thing held enough teenagers & beer to be an Octoberfest on wheels.

Mine was a 2 Door. Back seat was tiny. The front hood made a great bed. It did haul 3 kegs and 37 case of beer one night. With the 455 it was surprisingly quick in a 1/4".

Jtarm
09-06-2023, 12:11 AM
If I didn't enjoy the socializing of a gunshow, I'd agree with you and your friends/members of those other forums.

The last one I went to was like paying $20 to get in to a Black Friday sale.

Table upon table of the same “tactical” crap.

M-Tecs
09-06-2023, 12:18 AM
Entry ticket prices for guns shows in this area are $6 to $8 depending on vendor.

samari46
09-06-2023, 12:43 AM
Was at a local gun show and found a nice Win 30-30. Asked if he would remove the wire tie so's I could check the barrel. When he told me he didn't have anything to cut it with handed a small side cutter and another tie. Still refused. Ok, next table over the dealer did remove the wire tie and I replaced it with one of my own. The other dealer looked really ticked off. I said to him, you had your chance. I still have that old Winnie. Frank

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2023, 10:25 AM
The last one I went to was like paying $20 to get in to a Black Friday sale.

Table upon table of the same “tactical” crap.

There are still some great gunshows, at least in my area.
Ours is later this month...$5 admission, free for kids under 12(with an adult).

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/elks-annual-gun-show-and-knives/

Maybe look for shows that are at least 75 miles away from a major city.

Ramjet-SS
09-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Common scenario that plays out is a old man dies the old lady has zero idea the value of their husbands stuff. So the guy talks he I to selling it to him so he “reduce her burden”. Then he tries selling the deadman’s stuff for ridiculously high prices to turn a high profit. Happens with everything like antiques etc…disgusting practice but it is common. I have reduced my collection significantly and gave guns to my sons they get what’s left over. If they sell that’s on them what do I care I will be dead …….. lol

Panic buying with Biden Economics in play everything costs more these days. Anti-gunners drive up our costs significantly.

charlie b
09-07-2023, 07:08 PM
Heck, have you looked at house prices these days? They haven't come down since lumber prices spiked a while ago.

murf205
09-08-2023, 03:03 PM
As far as gunshows go, I show 'em the money I'm willing to pay. I tell them that all I've got is x amount of money but....I've got it right here!

uscra112
09-08-2023, 03:30 PM
As far as gunshows go, I show 'em the money I'm willing to pay. I tell them that all I've got is x amount of money but....I've got it right here!

A mournful "It's all I've got" worked for me on occasion.

deces
09-08-2023, 06:13 PM
Heck, have you looked at house prices these days? They haven't come down since lumber prices spiked a while ago.

Why would they, in the last 3 year 5-6 million new permanent residents, they all need a roof over their head.

waylonrocks
09-10-2023, 09:03 AM
First and foremost, when haggling, is not to come off as being a jerk. The seller's hackles rise and you lose leverage. If I see something that I wish to haggle over, I make every attempt to genuinely come off as being pleasant and not critical of the item or it's price. I usually say that I am interested in something that another vendor has as well, and that I have enough funds to purchase that item or the item I am currently looking at. Then I ask what the best price the seller can offer me to sway my decision. I have bought several guns off of Gunbroker, but you have to factor in your state sales tax, if applicable, the ffl fee, and shipping/insurance which can add up to a considerable amount, which makes a purchase at a gun show or LGS more attractive. A big part of the enjoyment I derive from guns is in getting and searching for a good deal. Paying the MSRP is no bueno, in my book.

rockrat
09-10-2023, 10:12 AM
We have our local gun show coming up in two weeks. With Bidenomics, it could be interesting. $10 to get in, but that is for the whole weekend, including Friday evening. We have more vendors coming than we have ever had. Also, its the last show before the states 3 day waiting period goes into effect the first of October.

uscra112
09-10-2023, 01:06 PM
Bummer about that waiting period. Takes a lot of the fun out of fun shows.

nicky4968
09-10-2023, 04:30 PM
I have to confess to paying a goodly sum for a pistol on GB, several days ago.
OTOH, they didn’t make many of them, and I’d never seen one for sale before.
I’ve spent a lifetime following: Make do, do over, or do without.
This late in life I figure what the heck.

35 Rem
09-18-2023, 05:00 AM
The mystery of Gunbroker for me is the guns that commonly have ridiculous starting prices and practically never sell. There are many groups/types of guns that fit this scenario, yet the owners stubbornly refuse to sell lower. Why can't they see that the guns simply aren't worth what they are asking? Ruger No 1's are a prime example. You can watch dozens of them come and go with no bids placed. Colt Single Actions another. The Argentina built Colt 1911 clones - the ones that were built on Colt tooling - those almost always have way high prices and almost always result in No bids. If you are always asking a certain price and you never sell the item, it's not worth the asking price!!! :)

uscra112
09-18-2023, 05:18 AM
I think it's like a free season ticket to the lottery for them. It costs nothing to list, and maybe some greater fool will buy. And sometimes they do.

charlie b
09-18-2023, 09:58 AM
I've noticed the same with other 'collectible' firearms. The sellers do not consider it an auction, just a cheap store front for their business. Ebay has a lot of folks like that as well.

CastingFool
09-18-2023, 11:27 AM
I attended a gun show last Saturday afternoon. Attendance was the lowest I've ever seen. One dealer showing a bunch of military rifles had a Russian sks, with a price tag asking $1100! I didn't pick it up to look at the date on the rifle. The rifle looked good, but not exceptional. Certainly not worth $1100.

magnumuser
12-19-2023, 03:34 AM
haggling is dead these days.. sure us under 50 year old kinds may not be smart enough to be able to tell when the price tag you put on that gun is an actual haggle room included price.

All we know is that your selling, say a model 13 4" in 90% condition for and the price tag says 1000$. We know the tag says 1000% and the only ones appearing on online gun sites are 8-1000% and many are not even 50% condition.

Sure, i was at a gunshow this year. There were a few people selling N frames. 1 guy wanted 1900$ for a 45 acp in stainless with a lock, another guy was selling current production 629 with 6.5 and 8 inch barrels for 1500. I beat the feet the other way.

rintinglen
12-19-2023, 10:13 AM
To me, the key is knowing what it is worth to you. I spent this summer acquiring about a Half Dozen pocket pistols of pre-WW II design. I only over paid for one, when some buffoon, err, rival bidder, ran my bid up to the very max. (I'd bid 575.07, he bid up to 575 in the last hour, $5.00 bucks at a time). My 1935 Beretta cost me $495 delivered., much less than most were being offered for.

Anybody crying the blues about gun show prices is delusional.

The thing about Gun Broker is that by the time you pay the dealer fees, 35-50 dollar shipping, sales tax, and the Gun Broker fees, you have added 10-25% to the cost. And used accessories are almost cheaper at a show than on GB. Are there high prices at gun shows--sure. Guys with tables want to make their week end worth while, but come Sunday afternoon, especially after a slow week end, make you your best offer; that 1000 dollar price tag may not be written in stone after all. If it's not to be, it's not to be, but I have more often than not found that it can happen.

magnumuser
12-20-2023, 05:31 AM
alot of people have no choice. The golden days are gone. No more do you go to the gun store and buy a gun, most gun stores arent actually gun stores.. they are "sporting goods stores". If your lucky youll find a savage or stevens break open next to a display of life jackets and swimsuites and sun tan lotion.

No one has the option of walking into an actual gunstore and buying a near mint model 13.. for any price, let alone the "450" that gets talked about so much on the interwebs.

Recycled bullet
12-20-2023, 06:40 AM
Virginia arms is/was selling a used/consignment Ruger LCR 38 special snub for $950. The revolver is visibly scratched and beat up looking. I asked the man if the price was right.... and afterwards I see there was a new one displayed in the adjacent gun case (not even ten feet away) for $580. I got two feet and I used them to walk away.

delftshooter
12-24-2023, 02:24 AM
This online selling of heavily used smith and wesson revolvers as overpriced items is not helping the used market. BUT it is helping the NEW GUN MARKET>

Why purchase a used model, that regardless of personal feelings on current smith and wesson policies, politics, and that internal safety system, that is typically being listed as the same or MORE then a brand new model?

Its why Taurus is so popular. A taurus 66 may not be the exact same quailty as a 586 made in 1989, but at half the price you can afford to spend the rest of your yearly fun budget on press, primers, powder, slugs..

Battis
12-24-2023, 08:12 PM
For what it's worth...
I recently bought a Dreyse 1907.32 acp that was in tough shape - frozen slide, no grips, gunked up - for $99. New grips were $40. New Wolff springs. Anyhoo, I put the work into cleaning it, and now it's a sweet little gun.
I bought it at this store. Check their inventory of used guns - rifles, shotguns and handguns. There's several at real low prices that "need work." I'm not sure if they'll ship but it might be worth asking if anything jumps out at you.

https://www.ccgguns.com/inventory/used/

Carrier
12-24-2023, 08:39 PM
I used to get bent looking at prices that people wanted. I just don’t let it bother me anymore. If I want something bad enough then I have to make a decision. Life is to short these days to worry about it.

35 Rem
12-27-2023, 03:27 PM
This online selling of heavily used smith and wesson revolvers as overpriced items is not helping the used market. BUT it is helping the NEW GUN MARKET>

Why purchase a used model, that regardless of personal feelings on current smith and wesson policies, politics, and that internal safety system, that is typically being listed as the same or MORE then a brand new model?

Its why Taurus is so popular. A taurus 66 may not be the exact same quailty as a 586 made in 1989, but at half the price you can afford to spend the rest of your yearly fun budget on press, primers, powder, slugs..

This is exactly why I got a FFL back in 1988. I was primarily interested in varmint rifles in 22 centerfires, so round count of a used gun was always something of concern as barrel life isn't all that long. When I found out that I could buy new guns cheaper than used from wholesalers, I was thrilled and did so often. In the intervening years it has gotten more and more difficult to get a wholesaler to sell to a little guy so there's not much to be saved anymore. It was good while it lasted though.

Electrod47
12-27-2023, 04:33 PM
How come every time I try to sell a gun "Its a piece of Junk", nobody wants it. When I go out regularly I see the same gun "beat up and dog eared" for 3 times what I was asking......even in this "Hot Market" dudes still acted like they are getting their ox gored. No pitter patter like not that long ago. Just straight to the pullin' out the Charleston Blue.

delftshooter
12-27-2023, 09:14 PM
there are a few decent guns for sale for what most would call a reasonable price, but once you enlarge the photos and see the physical damage to the guns.. not such a good thing.

I guess pay high now for factory new, and be the one to break it in.

uscra112
12-27-2023, 09:45 PM
It's been a factoid for a very long time that used stuff (especially parts) is too often stuff the seller knows are unsaleable in a face-to-face situation. That said, I've gotten 3 or 4 astounding deals on Gunbroker, but it's always been because the seller identified the item so poorly that casual searchers didn't find it.

Kestrel4k
01-03-2024, 08:14 PM
I haggle up and haggle down, esp. if the item isn't moving; have had a fair bit of success both ways. A bit of fun if both parties know the lay of the land.
The one thing I /never/ do as buyer, is to denigrate the sellers' item. When someone does that to me, I can tell ya that there won't be a sale. :-/

Jtarm
01-05-2024, 10:38 AM
I’ve found a couple of gems at the local indoor range where I’m a member.

They get a lot of trade-ins and must really low-ball the buyers. It appears a lot of people trade in dad’s old revolver or 1911 for polymer-blasters or ARs.

georgerkahn
01-05-2024, 10:52 AM
I’ve found a couple of gems at the local indoor range where I’m a member.

They get a lot of trade-ins and must really low-ball the buyers. It appears a lot of people trade in dad’s old revolver or 1911 for polymer-blasters or ARs.

I've noted the real old farts (me very much included) are still recalling the prices we paid for firearms when we -- several decades back -- purchased them, as opposed to what new ones, similar firearms, are going for now. As but one example, I OVER-paid, at the time, for a slightly used Colt Python, to see they're now going for pretty much three times the dollars I gave for it! A few folks focus on what the firearm cost "then", and are delighted to make even a wee profit. This is opposed to "those who (wink wink) KNOW" after seeing asking prices on auction sites and the like what they MUST get.
I have been in the similar boat where what I have is overpriced junk; with others demanding more dollars for similar, mostly worse condition, goods!
The way it (apparently) is.....
geo

jdgabbard
01-05-2024, 01:46 PM
Most of the time I see what I like to call the "eBay Syndrom". Not every version of a particular gun is rare and valuable. Most of the time I see guns priced well over what they're realistically worth. But the reason they're priced like this is that in this market someone will buy them. Just like how a lot of you guys paid $150-200 for primers that just a year or two before were $30/k. Personally, I didn't buy any until they came down to like $70, and even then I did it with a little internal anger at the system.

Best example are Mosins. We imported what has to be millions of those things. You could buy them for like $50, and the dealers had a hard time getting rid of them. You're not going to convince me that the $50 rifle that was imported in such vast quantities that they lingered on shelves for over a decade are now valuable and worth $500. That's just not true. Is it a $100, or maybe $200 rifle, yeah probably. But not a $500 rifle. Some of yall have smoked too much of the devil's lettuce...

HWooldridge
01-05-2024, 02:53 PM
And sometimes you have to change your expectations...

I spent a lot of years looking for a Winchester or Marlin lever action in 32-20 - but everything I found was shot to pieces or the asking price was a semester's worth of tuition at Harvard. Even the trash was overpriced. I still wanted a 32-20 in some configuration, so lo and behold - along comes an unmolested Savage 23C for less than half the typical asking prices of anything else I'd seen. Bore and finish looked like it had come straight out of the factory (obviously had never fired any BP rounds). I snapped it up and never looked back - the game I've harvested never cared where the slug came from - dead is dead...

Jtarm
01-05-2024, 04:25 PM
Most of the time I see what I like to call the "eBay Syndrom". Not every version of a particular gun is rare and valuable. Most of the time I see guns priced well over what they're realistically worth. But the reason they're priced like this is that in this market someone will buy them. Just like how a lot of you guys paid $150-200 for primers that just a year or two before were $30/k. Personally, I didn't buy any until they came down to like $70, and even then I did it with a little internal anger at the system.

Best example are Mosins. We imported what has to be millions of those things. You could buy them for like $50, and the dealers had a hard time getting rid of them. You're not going to convince me that the $50 rifle that was imported in such vast quantities that they lingered on shelves for over a decade are now valuable and worth $500. That's just not true. Is it a $100, or maybe $200 rifle, yeah probably. But not a $500 rifle. Some of yall have smoked too much of the devil's lettuce...

There was a joke that when someone made a cash purchase at a gun store, they were asked if they’d like their change in Mosins.

Do I need to explain for the younger crowd what “cash” and “change” are?