PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Buffet dead at 76

Rapier
09-02-2023, 08:27 AM
Was announced 9/1/23, last night, that Jimmy had died. Apparently he returned from a concert tour and went right into a hospital.
He lived in Key West, FL for years, living the life he portrayed in words and songs. His concerts were like a huge back yard party. His songs were a page from the book of life.
RIP Jimmy.

HWooldridge
09-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Sad news - great guy and fabulous performer.

Wheelguns 1961
09-02-2023, 09:26 AM
I have been a Jimmy Buffet fan for a very long time. R.I.P. Jimmy.

MrWolf
09-02-2023, 09:31 AM
R.I.P. Glad he got to live the life of his songs. To young.

Kraschenbirn
09-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Gone but never to be forgotten. My first Jimmy Buffet concert was in a Jr. College gymnasium in Mobile, AL in (IIRC) 1978. Parrotheads Forever!!

Bill

Minerat
09-02-2023, 12:41 PM
RIP Jimmy.

"Some people claim there's a woman to blame.
But I know, it's my own damn fault" JB

dverna
09-02-2023, 02:45 PM
Really enjoy his music. I can even understand the words when he is singing.

rcslotcar
09-02-2023, 02:48 PM
RIP, I'll have a Margarita today.

hwilliam01
09-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Sad...but he's no onger looking for that lost shaker of salt....

jsizemore
09-02-2023, 09:12 PM
In May of 1970 I went to see Janis Joplin at the UofF basketball gym with the Kozmic Blues Band. Paul Butterfield Blues band was also there and Mike Bloomfield joined Janis and band on stage. The band that kicked off the evening was Jimmy Buffet and the Coral Reefer Band. My good buddy brought his ever present SLR camera with the big (for the time) telephoto lens. He handed me his film bag and said "come on". We got down front and he started with the picture taking. He kept on taking pics even after he hit the end of the roll of film. First and only time I ever got down front. Janis sure looked good in a tank top all sweated up. Jimmy B had a full head of hair. Looked like he had both his Keno's on too. They played in Gainesville all the time. The only bands I saw more then them was Mudcrutch and The Hourglass.

deces
09-02-2023, 10:31 PM
I wasn't much of a fan of his music, but the girls I've been with sure liked his Margarita recipe. His branded portable Margarita machine has served me well.

stubshaft
09-02-2023, 10:39 PM
R.I.L. Jimmy!

contender1
09-03-2023, 09:46 AM
Jimmy's music was fun, different than many out there,, and his concerts were like a big beach party. I've been to 4 of his concerts,, and enjoyed them all.
I was sad to learn much later he was a bit liberal,, but he didn't push an agenda,, or try to shove anything down your throats like that. I respected him for that,, and could allow him his personal views w/o animosity.

It's funny, on friday evening,, we were at home,, had a friend visiting,, and while the TV was on,, it was muted. The show; "Hawaii 5-0" (new one,) was on. We really weren't watching,, but I happened to glance at it, and realize that there was Jimmy,, playing a helicopter pilot or something. He was wearing a cross chest holstered gun,, and it was for a lefty! Made me chuckle.

While many know a lot of his songs by heart, (myself included,) my favorite is; "God's own drunk!"

RIP Jimmy,, !

.429&H110
09-03-2023, 05:22 PM
He said in concert that his song
"Let's get drunk and screw" never made a dime, was never on the radio.
But it's in the top ten jukebox plays.
He started busking guitar, and died a billionaire. American dream.

RIP MR. Buffett
"Made enough money to buy Miami, and pissed it away so fast, not meant to last.."

firefly1957
09-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Passed as so many other great music artists but I do not think he will really be dead until people stop listening to his music!

Just yesterday I was listening to the music from my thumb drive in car and Jimmy Buffet came up a cheeseburger in paradise hopefully he is enjoying one now...

snowwolfe
09-04-2023, 02:46 PM
RIP Jimmy. He had a good, but short life. Successful musician and he turned that into being a billionaire.
He died of skin cancer. If your a senior citizen and not seeing a dermatologist once or twice a year for those pesky sores that won’t heal and red and purple spots on your arms, legs, and face you could join him in a dirt nap in record time.

David2011
09-06-2023, 05:46 PM
I was a huge fan for a long time. He lost me and a lot of my Parrothead friends when he got political. Still, I'm saddened at his passing.

Tall
09-06-2023, 08:59 PM
He was helped a lot by Jerry Jeff Walker which is not something everyone knows. Couple of great ones there.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/jerry-jeff-walker-jimmy-buffett-margaritaville/