PDA

View Full Version : Another project now.

country gent
08-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Found out today A good friend who passed away had a small sheldon lathe in pieces he wanted me to have. Im purely guessing here but he worked for a college so im thinking one of the 8"x 24" with gear head and quick change feeds. Sheldons were a great little machine If the one Im thinking it probably has a 1 3/8" spindle hole and #2 morase taper. Be a great addition to the shop.

lightman
08-27-2023, 07:37 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend! I expect he would be happy knowing his lathe was going to a good home.

Alstep
08-27-2023, 09:57 PM
Your friend left you a really nice lathe. Sheldon made some nice machine tools. Many years ago I worked in a shop that had several old Sheldon lathes and shapers. Solid, smooth, and accurate machines. You're going to enjoy working with your new lathe.

No_1
08-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad he thought so highly of you. Hopefully it will be a easy reassembly and be able to provide years of service.

Slugster
08-28-2023, 11:39 AM
My condolences on the passing of your friend.

I have a Sheldon KQ series lathe that I have been using for about 30 years. Has about a 13" swing and 40" bed. It has been a great lathe, but I only use it for rough work now as the spindle bearings (babbit) have got a bit sloppy and I am too lazy (old) to change them out. It's on my to do list. Purchased a new chinesium lathe for precision work about 20 years ago and must say that it is surprisingly accurate given where it came from. Seems to be holding up very well.
There is a website machinery.org that has a lot of information on old machine tools that would probably be of interest to you as it has some Sheldon info. Good luck and may your X and Y axis always be true.

GONRA
08-28-2023, 07:23 PM
GONRA's certainly NOT the "last word" on this buts Pretty Sure ya'll gotta great deal! !!
Just hava knowledgeable rebuilder / assembler / etc.
Sheldon is olde tyme Quality Stoffe.
In skilled assembly hands, you should hava Really Nice Lathe! !!