PDA

View Full Version : Eeox Rust Prevention Test - 9 Months

John Boy
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Eezox Rust Prevention Test (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0)
And it's a heck of a good cleaner and lubricant

Crooked Creek
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Not intended to dash any salt water on this product, but another one worth looking at before settling on anything is a product called "Fluid Film". It is used in many extremely harsh applications and is used by the Navy, the fertilizer industry, overseas shippers, agricultural and lawn and garden equipment, and on and on. Google the name and visit many of the different sites and look at the (salt too, at 5%) tests. It is a natural product (woolwax base) and doesn't harm wood finishes, bluing, paint, leather, etc. In addition to corrosion prevention, it is an excellent penetrant and lubricant. It has a very high solids content, no solvents and a high flash point of 405 degrees F. I've been using it for many applications for about four years and I love it !

John Boy
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Crooked Creek, Here's the Fluid Film and Eezox long term rust tests.
http://www.fluidfilmsalesusa.com/ffcompare.htm ... Fluid Film Corrosion Test 52 days (7.4 weeks)
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html ... Eezox Corrosion Test 11 weeks

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0 Eezox Corrosion test I did for 41 weeks

Looks like I'll have to buy some Fluid Film and do another test - comparative type
PS: I'm not trying to push the Eezox product. I'm just trying to find the best product. And one has to remember, I used #3 steel wool (low carbon) - not a steel plate!

Willbird
02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey John Boy. Did you clean the steel wool before applying ez-ox ?? IE remove any oils from the mfg process ??

Bill

Crooked Creek
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
John,
I didn't mean to insult or cast aspersions on the Eezox product or your tests (so I hope you don't take offense). To the contrary, your tests were comprehensive and impressive. I have seen that Fluid Film link, and there are several others out there. I just wanted to throw an alternate product out there that I've had a little experience with and have seen good results. I would love to see a side by side comparison test between Eezox (with which I have no personal experience) and Fluid Film. The Fluid Film test was conducted in a humidity cabinet with a salt fog at 5% salt concentration, and I have no idea how that compares to a 2% solution sprayed on, I only know it is more severe. Like you, and I imagine many others, I'm just looking for the best product (but we must look at all the product attributes to determine what constitutes "best"). Looking forward to seeing your additional testing results. I'm sure you noticed, but for others, the fluid film is available in liquid (very viscous...90 weight or more?) and aerosol packaging. You may want to consider getting both for your tests.
Rog

John Boy
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey John Boy. Did you clean the steel wool before applying ez-ox ?? IE remove any oils from the mfg process ??
Willbird - No. Because I have left briskets of steel wool on the basement workbench at the shore in the Autumn. In the Spring they were a gob of rust. This brisket of #3 was left out on the bulkhead 100' from the Atlantic Ocean during fog - rain and snow

I didn't mean to insult or cast aspersions on the Eezox product or your tests (so I hope you don't take offense).
Crooked Creek, I didn't take 1 iota of offense. And I'm very glad that you pointed me to Fluid Film. Looks like at has good qualities being a lanolin based product. Lanolin has good qualities to penetrate into metal pores, evidenced why T/C uses it as one of the base ingredients in their Bore Butter products

Dano50
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Heck, if you want to try Fluid Film for free, just shoot me a PM. I'll ship a sample to anyone in the U.S. who has never tried it. We'll even pay the shipping.

Russ in WY
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Has anyone here used it as a case lube. There are several products on the market that have lanolin & alcohol blend as a case lube. I have used them with good result many times after giving up on the ole stamp pad type lubricators. One of the best ways with the Lan & alc sprays is a few sprits into a wool/fleece small bag ,add brass hold shut & shake or tumble a min & then dump out & your ready to Fl size. My 2¢, Russ.

Crooked Creek
02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Russ,
I have used Fluid Film as a case lube. It works very well and, as a side benefit, it desolves/removes the carbon on the case necks quite well as you wipe the cases dry. A word of caution though; use sparingly on the cases (especially the necks) or you will have lube dents on the case shoulders. It's a good bore treatment rust preventative also. For anyone that has not tried it, I encourage you to take up the free sample offer from Dano50 above.

John Boy
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Heck, if you want to try Fluid Film for free, just shoot me a PM. I'll ship a sample to anyone in the U.S. who has never tried it. We'll even pay the shipping.
Dan, the Fluid Film sample came today. Thank you kindly. And today might be a good day to start a test ... we had a Northeaster snow storm come up the coast. There's 10" of white stuff in the backyard!