PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made Nitro Cellulose Lacquer for Primer Remanufacturing?

MUSTANG
08-26-2023, 02:06 PM
Last week I remanufactured 10 each primers using two different mixtures of Red Phosphorus Primer Mixture/s. The weather was high humidity with intermittent rain when I placed mixtures into the 2 groups of 10 primers each. I used a drop of 20:1 ratio of Alcohol and Varnish on each primer as a binder. At the range; I had a 30% and 50% failure to fire. I am suspecting that despite letting stand for 48 hours; the primer did not fully dry out.

A variety of sources have stated the use of Nitro Cellulose derived from Smokeless Powders as a binder for some Primer Mixtures. (This is not ground NC for primer mixture - rather a liquid carried binder for the primer mixture after compressing the mixture in the cup).

One "Recipe" I made up after I found it going through many links, references, etc.. on Aardvark and MeWe cited as I recall (have not been able to locate it again). :

40 MiliLiters of 50% Acetone and 50% alcohol (40ML = 2.7 Tablespoons)
30 Grains Smokeless Powder

I initially used 60 grains of WC872 powder, 3 Table spoons of Acetone and 3 Table spoons of 91% Alcohol. All I got was almost clear liquid on top; and the Smokeless Powder was converted to a single mass of Tar like composition. It would adhere to a dental pick when stirred - with a blob separating off the main bulk. Tried stirring it and eventually got a slight gray color to the liquid - still a big blob of Tar like substance on the bottom.

I added an additional 2 Table Spoons acetone and 2 Table Spoons of Alcohol and stirred a while. The entire black tar blob broke up after a while - but the mixture had the consistency of a weak oatmeal. The color turned to a greenish black weak oatmeal. When stirring the mixture with a dental pick; it had the slight appearance of "Cotton Ball" submerged in the mixture (Cellulose dispersed across the mix?).

I took a small sample and put into another glass container and added another 2 Table Spoons each of Acetone and 91% alcohol; and stirred for a few minutes and let sit overnight. The Mixture is much clearer (But a light green color) with a sediment layer at the bottom 1/5th of the mixture that is a grayish/off white color.; I am able to extract into a plastic pipet/eye dropper for dispensing into primer cups. I remanufactured 10 primers with a Red Phosphorus mixture compressed, a drop of the liquid on top, dried for 5 or so minutes, and then a paper foil disk on top, followed by seating the anvils. Will give those a test next week.

Questions for those who have "Distilled" Nitro Cellulose from Smokeless Powder previously for use as a liquid binder:

1. From my description; is there a place I went wrong in the process?

2. Will the extracted liquid contain a suspended Nitro Cellulose that will dry as a binder with the mixture/s; or am I simply getting an Acetone/Alchol wetting action?

3. The 20:1 Alcohol to Varnish I used in the past - supposedly acted as a wetting agent, and a binder forming a PILL of the priming mixture on the cup when dried. This worked well with a 100% success rate for several hundred primers perviously when the humidity was low; will the NC solution work the same for higher humidity ? - or am I barking up the wrong tree? I had considered staying with the 20:1 Varnish solution; just getting a desk lamp with traditional bulb as a "Dryer" for the remanufactured primers.

Goal is obviously to get back to that 100% success rate with the Remanufactured Primers. Thoughts:

uscra112
08-26-2023, 03:07 PM
Antique aircraft restorers' (and flying model builders') "nitrate dope".

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-clear-nitrate-dope

Used to be you could buy it by the ounce in hobby shops, but not no more.

45_Colt
08-26-2023, 05:38 PM
My understanding (along with some research) is that Duco cement (glue) is 100% nitro-cellulose. Mixed with acetone makes a good sealant/binder.

45_Colt

GONRA
08-26-2023, 06:03 PM
GONRA sez - listen to 45 Colt.....

challenger_i
08-26-2023, 08:36 PM
What USCRA112 stated.
My preference is the Brodak nitrate (brodak.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=nitrate) (it is relabeled Randolph's Aircraft Dope, which has a better track record than the Sig brand) mixed 50/50 with Nitrate dope thinner, or toluene.
In the olden days, when we covered airplanes with cotton, it was discovered that, when coated with nitrate dope (to seal the fabric and help draw it tight) the end result was a low-grade gun cotton! No wonder those First World War birds burned so easily! :)

uscra112
08-26-2023, 09:35 PM
Well, they used linen, not cotton, but yeah, down in flames had real meaning.

haak48
08-27-2023, 08:35 AM
Firefox chemicals have a large variety of nitrocellulose lacquers for sale listed. Regards, JH

firefly1957
08-27-2023, 10:06 AM
From what I have read your powder is a double base powder so it contains nitroglycerin also .

I have never tried to make N.C. from smokeless powder but I have dissolved it into a mass and dried it to a hard plastic disk I thought might explode on shooting it . I was wrong a 6 mm Remington just shattered the mass I burned the chunks separately with interesting results.

I am working on making percussion caps right now My first attempt with Ammonium perchlorate which is nowhere near sensitive enough but was very powerful when it did go off. Currently I just got Barium chlorate which seems very sensitive first test is still drying . Some that spilled was wiped up with a paper towel and after drying in the sun an hour a slight tap set it on fire .

I was happy with https://www.pyrochemsource.com/ for the Barium chlorate and some gum Arabic as binder took three days to get by fed ex. Fed ex did not make me sign for it just set in on the porch I am curious if that is just my rural area or they do that all over?

super6
08-27-2023, 10:49 AM
I have made nc from single based powder several times, Never added alcohol, The trick is to mix the snot out of it with the acetone and let it sit for a day than add more acetone till you get the consistent mixture you want. I was told to NEVER use double based powder as the nitro can separate. dangerous at best.

Bent Ramrod
08-27-2023, 11:04 AM
I think the preparation called “New-Skin” is a nitrocellulose-based lacquer.

It has some kind of cloves scent in it as well. It can be found on the band-aid and ointment shelves at your local pharmacy.

I used it for a while to seal the paper cartridges for my percussion Sharps replica, hoping that it would help the total consumption of the paper, but the effect wasn’t total enough to justify the difference in convenience from a glue stick.

Cotton linters can be nitrated to a level where the nitrocellulose won’t dissolve in any combination of organic solvents. I seem to recall it’s around 13.4% nitrogen. A lesser level (down in the low 12s; my memory is getting fuzzy, though), and it will “dissolve” in a mixture of acetone and diethyl ether. Or in nitroglycerine, if added energy is needed.

Actually, it doesn’t dissolve; not like sugar dissolves in water. It forms a “colloid,” a syrupy-to-jellylike suspension that can be squeezed through dies and cut into sticks and flakes. The solvents are evaporated and reused, and the colloid, still smelling of residual solvents, hardens back into plastic.

You might get a can of starting fluid (mine has diethyl ether as the main component) and spray some into your acetone. The mixture may help break up your tar lump. However, the deterrent coating on the grains might interfere with this; I’ve never tried it myself.

This advice does not constitute a recommendation to try anything, of course. You are messing with very volatile and flammable chemicals here; your safety is your own responsibility.

MUSTANG
09-01-2023, 09:48 AM
I tried the Acetone/Alcohol/NitroCellulose liquid binder earlier this week. Primer mixture was compressed by hand with a punch, had drop of binder applied, paper disk placed on top; and then compressed in the cup using the NOE Primer die punch - followed by seating the anvil.

I tested two different Red Phosphorus Primer mixtures ( see: Post #14 at https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?459355-Primer-Remanufacturing-%96-Red-Phosphorus-Mixtures&p=5617668#post5617668)

I had 100% primer success for bot formulas using the Acetone/Alcohol/NitroCellulose mixture as a liquid binder. This was tested during a period of high humidity and rainy days.

I still remain curious if the NitroCellulose is actually suspended in the mixture as 2nd container with additional Acetone and Alcohol added has a suspended "Greenish" top layer floating over a sediment layer at the bottom.