PDA

View Full Version : How to clean old sticky cast boolits?

bluesman423
08-24-2023, 02:23 PM
I recently found some old cast boolits (NOE 360-182 WFN) .... don't know where they came from. These were sized with gas checks installed then it appears they were lubed with something like Alox. Needless to say the lube is sticky and the boolits are now pretty dirty.

Can these be cleaned in a vibratory brass polisher without harming them? I would like to powder coat them for my Rossi 92.

BLAHUT
08-24-2023, 02:43 PM
Soak them in #9, will clean them right up with a little time...

Dom
08-24-2023, 03:33 PM
Put in an old pot with
water . Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes. Pour off residue on top, & empty all water from pot. . Refill with fresh water & bring to a boil a second time. Pour off the hot water. Let set & cool.Will shine like a new nickle.

Winger Ed.
08-24-2023, 03:48 PM
Can these be cleaned in a vibratory brass polisher without harming them? I would like to powder coat them for my Rossi 92.

I wouldn't.
I'd boil 'em, then wash & rinse with a rather aggressive solvent. Or a wash in gasoline after the boiling water, then a rinse in Lacquer thinner.
That should get them clean enough for the powder coat to stick.

higgins
08-25-2023, 07:06 PM
Put them in a can or pot with water and heat. If it is something like 50/50 Alox/beeswax the water will not need to boil for the lube to melt and rise to the surface. The lube can be recovered from the surface of the water and put back in a lubrisizer.

Walter Laich
08-27-2023, 08:07 PM
since I cast my own I would just melt them down and start with brand new ones

bluesman423
09-06-2023, 10:22 PM
Well, the boiling in water worked GREAT! Thank you so much. :)

adktrap
09-07-2023, 08:52 PM
I was just given some bullets that we’re sticky like yours. I just left them in a coffee can of mineral spirits overnight and they were good as new and ready to powdercoat in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44Blam
09-07-2023, 10:09 PM
The other thing I've seen take off any coating to a boolit is tumbling them in steel pins. It'll even take off PC.

stubshaft
09-07-2023, 11:31 PM
Put in an old pot with
water . Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes. Pour off residue on top, & empty all water from pot. . Refill with fresh water & bring to a boil a second time. Pour off the hot water. Let set & cool.Will shine like a new nickle.

That;s how I cleaned a bunch of old NRA lubed 185 WC.