PDA

View Full Version : Question about RCBS shellholders

JRLesan
08-19-2023, 06:44 PM
My 1982 RCBS catalog list #1 shellholder for 38acp. New catalog lists #39 shellholder for 38acp. Are they the same? Anybody REALLY know???

Der Gebirgsjager
08-19-2023, 06:52 PM
I'll bet that there's an 800 number on the catalog. Why not give them a call and ask?

DG

nicholst55
08-19-2023, 07:44 PM
If you are unable to locate the problem, call RCBS Customer Service for help at 800-533-5000 (Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time), or e-mail us your questions.

45_Colt
08-20-2023, 12:31 AM
The .38 Super has had the rim diameter made smaller. Not sure exactly when this occurred, but likely around the time that the round was being used in double stack IPSC guns. As designed the semi-rimmed .38 Super caused feed issues.

Making the rim smaller in diameter helped with feeding. And head spacing moved from the rim to the case mouth.

So odds are, if you are using modern brass, #39 is the proper shell holder.

45_Colt

JRLesan
08-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Interesting and the answer I was looking for Mr. Colt; thank you. All my brass is from the '70's and factory ammo from early oughts. I'll measure some and probably stick with # 1.

georgerkahn
08-20-2023, 08:31 AM
My go-to source for shell holders is that wonderfully printed (free) chart from Graf & Sons, easily viewed vis their web-site. On it -- I have pasted the germane part -- 317216 and you can see their listings. My guess -- note I used word "guess" :) -- is that there is quite a bit of confusion re descripts of the many different .38 cases. *MY* reference chart has the RCBS #39 listed exclusively for the ".38 Super". From what I've read, the 38 Super is exactly the same as 38ACP, with the "super" having been introduced in 1929 as a souped-up/hotter version of the plain-Jane (introduced in 1900) .38ACP. Hence -- the preferred shell holder for the .38ACP, imho, is the #39.
Additionally, my reference indicates the RCBS #1 shell holder was designed for .218 Bee, .25-20 Winchester, and the .32-20 Winchester cases. While your .38ACP has a base diameter of 0.384", the cases for the #1 shell holder have a 0.349" diameter. Additionally, the #1 sh (shell holder) is for rim diameter of 0.408" versus 0.406" for the #39. Lastly, the rim thickness of the #1 is listed as 0.065" versus 0.050" for the #39 sh.
Hence -- in summary -- the #1 and #39 are NOT the same.
Again, for your .38ACP, the recommended RCBS shell holder is their #39.
Should you wish to explore other brands, the Hornady sh is their #8; Lee's is #19; Lyman's is #12; and, Redding's is their #5.
Hope this helps!
geo

georgerkahn
08-20-2023, 06:09 PM
As luck has it (rarely ;)) -- I have a couple of brand new RCBS #01 shell-holders. I took one out of its bag to scan it (the bag) and here it is. You can see the recommended shell holders on the RCBS bag:317238
geo

Land Owner
08-21-2023, 04:54 AM
As you are determining which shell holder today, go to the source RCBS Pistol Shell Holders (https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-how-to-reload/rcbs-reference-tables.html#Pistol)

RCBS says:
CALIBER...................SHELL HOLDER
.38 Super Auto...........#39
(.38 ACP)

.38 S&W Cowboy.........#6

.38 Special.................#6

There is only one (1) pistol caliber (32-20 Winchester) listed for shell holder #1.

JRLesan
08-21-2023, 09:08 AM
I live and operate in the past: my RCBS sources date from the '70's and list the #1 for 38 acp. At some point back in the early '80's (AUG82 to be exact) I loaded a bunch of 38acp before a #39 even existed. Only trouble is I can't find a #1 shellholder in my collection. I studied the Graf's chart as well as others trying to clarify but 40 years is a long time to go back and research. RCBS tech line will be open today and maybe I'll call and ask; just for my own information. Details like this nag at me... Thanks to all for responding.
As to the change in case dimensions referred to by 45Colt, the newer case with smaller rim is referred to as a 'Super Comp' if anybody is interested.

georgerkahn
08-21-2023, 10:08 AM
I live and operate in the past: my RCBS sources date from the '70's and list the #1 for 38 acp. At some point back in the early '80's (AUG82 to be exact) I loaded a bunch of 38acp before a #39 even existed. Only trouble is I can't find a #1 shellholder in my collection. I studied the Graf's chart as well as others trying to clarify but 40 years is a long time to go back and research. RCBS tech line will be open today and maybe I'll call and ask; just for my own information. Details like this nag at me... Thanks to all for responding.
As to the change in case dimensions referred to by 45Colt, the newer case with smaller rim is referred to as a 'Super Comp' if anybody is interested.

Suggest you look at picture of RCBS #01 packaging I have in my post #7, here above?
geo

JRLesan
08-21-2023, 12:44 PM
RCBS didn't package their shellholders in plastic bags back in the 70's; they came in neat little green boxes that were a miniature of their die boxes. I did look at pictures of the packaging and I read what it said. I have a 32 position shell holder rack from RCBS from (I think) the early oughts that has a hinged card underneath that lists cartridge-shellholder combos and it lists the #1 for the 38acp. Not trying to start a range war; just trying to remember.

gwpercle
08-22-2023, 05:41 PM
Interesting and the answer I was looking for Mr. Colt; thank you. All my brass is from the '70's and factory ammo from early oughts. I'll measure some and probably stick with # 1.

Since you already have holder #1 ... I would also go ahead and order a #39 because you know darn good and well you will run into some of the smaller rimmed cases at some point in time ... and there is nothing worse than a shell holder that wont hold the case correctly ... the rim will pull right off just when you don't need that to happen .
Gary