PDA

View Full Version : Small Generators And A 12v Plug In Not Available?

jonp
08-18-2023, 05:44 PM
20yrs ago I bought a 1000w gen for my hunting camp to charge my laptop and phone. It has a 2 prong DC in the front for a set of jumper cables which I used once to save me a 10 mile walk into town.
Several years ago I bought a 2500w HF Predator which has run like a champ. It also has the DC plug in and even came with a set of jumper cables. I even used it to jump my semi. Fueled it up, hooked and let it run all day. I decided to leave that at my camp for power tools, leaf chipper etc and started looking for a new one.
I can't find a small generator with a DC plug in
Has everyone stopped making one for some reason as that is a great feature. I jumped the truck, car and lawnmower not to mention my Freightliner Cascadia with it.
The Predator gens still have it but all the others seem to have a cigarette plug in. I don't need the inverter and the price just a basic small generator

Winger Ed.
08-18-2023, 06:54 PM
I've never seen one except one of the little small ones where a gallon of gas lasts several hours.
They're run a couple of light bulbs and are sort of a glorified battery charger for the 12V function.

bedbugbilly
08-19-2023, 08:58 AM
Shot in the dark and I'm no expert on generator, but have you checked Tractor Supply? As far as price goes - nothing is cheap anymore thanks to Bedenomics.

Any way to switch out the cigarette plug in to a plug in the configuration you need or is the draw too heavy that would burn something up? Sorry for my ignorance as the only thing I've ever used a portable gen for is for lights or a 120v to run a refrigerator or freezer.

deltaenterprizes
08-19-2023, 09:06 AM
Just plug in a battery charger in the 120 volt outlet!

MT Gianni
08-19-2023, 07:46 PM
Look hard at a combination battery jumper, air pump and charger. https://shop.opticsplanet.com/cat-jump-starter-and-power-station.html?_iv_code=149-PWR-CATAP6-CJ1000DXT&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IGnBhDUARIsAMwFDLnuAVyLaDJVlyAPR1lm xopNJ71nqK4NnBB3rC9TMj0NeJofZ3ulxIgaAmOaEALw_wcB

These are usually available for about $100 at Costco. I have owned two in the last 5 years and the only problem is the hose cracking on the air function. I have a Rennai space heater in our basement and this will run it for 12 hours in a power outage.

BD
08-21-2023, 08:36 AM
We have a Honda EU2,000 and an EU 3,000, both of which have the 12V output, but when I look on line at the newer EU 2,200 I don't see the 12V listed?