PDA

View Full Version : My old Pact II is dead.

uscra112
08-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Didn't much love it anyway, so not grieving.

Soliciting recommendations for replacement.

I will never trust any electronic scale for powder, but I do need one for weighing bullets, sorting .22 ammo, and some other tasks that require readout in grams.

Must be able to run on battery.

I won't say price is no object, but don't want any $25 Chinese wunderkinder.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Laich
08-15-2023, 07:49 PM
think you already answered this with a "NO!"

does Pact have any trade-in policy = your old one + $$ for one of their new ones?

foesgth
08-15-2023, 07:51 PM
I have several small electronic scales. The one I now always reach to get is my BallistiScale Max (https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-BallistiScale-MAX-1500-gr-digital-scale/productinfo/688MAX/). It is the one that Ballistic Products sells.

One of the things I like is it have a larger display. I have found it to be a great scale for the price.

uscra112
08-15-2023, 08:07 PM
I have several small electronic scales. The one I now always reach to get is my BallistiScale Max (https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-BallistiScale-MAX-1500-gr-digital-scale/productinfo/688MAX/). It is the one that Ballistic Products sells.

One of the things I like is it have a larger display. I have found it to be a great scale for the price.

Can it read out in grams?

--- never mind, I didn't scan the spec sheet closely enough

garandsrus
08-15-2023, 08:07 PM
I use a digital scale all the time and love it. I also use a PACT. I am on my second as the load cell went out on the first, which is a known problem that there isn’t a fix for. The replacement part is no longer made, according to PACT. The scale includes check/calibration weights and I do use them to at least check the scale every time I start using it.

The scale in the above post looks like a great value.

deces
08-15-2023, 08:18 PM
Old used Pact/RCBS scales are a bargain compared to the cheaped out modern scales.

MrWolf
08-15-2023, 09:38 PM
I have an Acculab scale and like it. I just looked at the prices and Wow. Unbelievable.

georgerkahn
08-15-2023, 09:46 PM
Didn't much love it anyway, so not grieving.

Soliciting recommendations for replacement.

I will never trust any electronic scale for powder, but I do need one for weighing bullets, sorting .22 ammo, and some other tasks that require readout in grams.

Must be able to run on battery.

I won't say price is no object, but don't want any $25 Chinese wunderkinder.

Thanks in advance.

I never trusted electronic ones, either, but wanted one for out-in-garage cast bullet weighing. I spied a Dillon Determinator on eBay -- and won it at a great price. I cleaned battery terminals. added a drop of dielectric grease to each, and put new Eveready batteries in; and, have done "I can't remember there were so many" tests. E.g., I'd spray paint yellow a bullet of known weighed on a precision scales, and put that in, regularly, to ascertain if marked weight was indicated. Yupper! EVERY time!
Bottom line? Maybe I got lucky with the one I bought -- but, based in its performance -- it definitely has my vote!
geo

imashooter2
08-15-2023, 11:35 PM

It looks pretty good except that the 3 minute shut off would annoy me to no end.

uscra112
08-27-2023, 09:11 PM
Well, I purchased a BallistiScale Max and am pleasantly pleased. It is MUCH more stable than the old PACT ever was. I can use it within inches of my old Dell laptop with no trouble. It reports a goodly selection of my certified check weights to within 2-3 milligrams of nominal. Three mg. is half a tenth of a grain, and that's better than the resolution of my beam balance. If it keeps on performing like this, I might actually use it for powder!

Cost with shipping (FedEx) came to about $50. I don't do a lot of business with Ballistic Products, but I can recommend their scale wholeheartedly.

Phil

slim1836
08-27-2023, 11:22 PM
My Pact scale died years ago, and I was so happy. Life is better now.

Slim