PDA

View Full Version : Primer Remanufacturing – Tests with Swaged 195 Grain and W-760 Loads

MUSTANG
08-14-2023, 06:23 PM
This Test was a 10 Round string of fire with the bullet being a Swaged 195 grain bullet having an 8s Nose, made from 5/16 copper tubing. Powder was Winchester 760, and mixed brass. Primers were my remanufactured primers using the FH-42 Primer mixture in the 308 Winchester. The paper foil disks used were made from cash register tape; disks cut ¼ inch hole punch.

Potassium Chlorate 15.6 gr.
Antimony sulfide 10.2 gr.
sulfur [S] 7.3 gr.
Aluminum Powder [AL] 0.2 gr.
Sodium Bicarbonate 0.2 gr.
Total FH42 mixture weight 33.5 Grains. Individual Large primer cups use ~ 0.55 grains for each primer cup.

Rifle: Remington 700 ADL Varmint .308
Barrel Twist: 1 in 12
Wind: 5 Mph left to right.
Temp: 87 degrees F.
Boolit: Swaged Jacketed Bullet using 5/16 Coper tubing- 195 Grains
Ballistic Coefficient:
Brinnel Hardness: N/A
Bullet sized: .308
Alloy: Core - 96% Lead, 3% Antimony, 1% Tin
Bullet Lube: None
Gas Check: None – Bullet Swaged using 5/16 Copper Tubing
Powder: Winchester 760
Primer: Remanufactured – FH-42 Primer Mixture
Case: Mixed military and commercial Brass
OAL: 2.80 inches
Distance: 100 Yards.
10 Shot Group Size: 1 & 5/8 inches.
Velocity: Average 2333; High 2356; Lowest 2292; Spread 64

One goal of this test was to determine if there were issues with higher “Full Load” Pressures of Heavy Jacketed Bullets. Pressures for these loads were approximately 43,000 PSI – extracted from the Load Data listed in the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook. As seen below; there are no visual indicators of problems with the primers used in this test. These primers had been shot/remanufactured 11 times previously. There is no visible flattening of the primers.

Click on the Picture to expand for a better view.

Some have expressed concerns that the “Remanufactured Primer Cups” might begin to show failure after only a couple of cycles. It appears that in the 43,000 PSI and below pressure levels, the cups survive quite well (11 Loadings). I have not tested them at higher pressure levels anticipated in higher pressure loads such as in full 30-06 or 300 WinMag loads with heavy bullets. Might give them a try later in my testing phases.

slim1836
08-14-2023, 06:52 PM
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Slim

Thumbcocker
08-15-2023, 11:25 AM
Very well done application of the scientific method. Thank you for sharing your work and results.

gwpercle
08-15-2023, 12:48 PM
If the price of primers continue to stay in the stratosphere ...
I'm going to look into "reloading" primers . NOE has a tool to recondition the cups and if a reliable priming compound can be purchased economically ... I might have to jump into this "new hobby" .
When reloading with my Lee Hand Press , at home or office , I dumped all expended primers into a gallon zip-lock bag ... I have a lot .
In my reloading building my Pacific Super Deluxe never had a primer catcher, a lot went into a box on the floor the rest just went everywhere ... my little girl woul Help Daddy by sweeping them all up and putting them in a zip lock bag ... So I have even more spent primers . Since the primer shortage began and the talk of reloading primers ... (remember the paper cap primed ones ?) I have been saving spent primers ... So I got a lot to work with and it seems the priming compound bugs have been worked out ... Now lets see where the price of primes goes !

There is no way I'm paying $100 or more dollars for 1000 primers ...
... I'll Reload Them First !

Mustang ... Thanks for posting , keep us updated on your tests ! :drinks:
Gary

dverna
08-15-2023, 06:21 PM
This is good work and helps those who have time and patience to remanufacture primers. I am not wired that way.

Starline has SRP match .308 brass and that coulg be a viable option for those who can "make do" with the .308 until the supply and price of LRP's improve. It seems SRP's are more readily available and not quite as costly.

45_Colt
08-16-2023, 01:19 AM
Starline has SRP match .308 brass and that coulg be a viable option for those who can "make do" with the .308 until the supply and price of LRP's improve. It seems SRP's are more readily available and not quite as costly.

True that, Ginex (Bosnia) SR can be had for $62 a thousand (to your door).

45_Colt