PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas folks - Noviculite stone ??

Ohio Rusty
08-14-2023, 08:16 AM
I want to try to knap some Noviculite stone for gunflints. I understand where this is found is in Arkansas. Do any of you Arkansas folks have any access to some clean noviculite nodules or big flakes of broken noviculite you can send up to Ohio ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Wayne Smith
08-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Isn't that what is used for sharpening stones? I did not know it could be knapped.

gwpercle
08-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Arkansas Novaculite is used for sharpening stones , wet stones (whet) and oil stones , fine grained , white or light grey .
They are used for sharpening knife blades ... I don't think they will produce sparks .
The "flints" I have used / seen are of a glassey hard stone .
True flint is agate or jasper or variety of Quartz , like Chert .

I don't believe Novaculite is what you want for gun flints ... Dixie Gun Works , at one time , sold Flint Nodules for those looking to Knap their own flints ...
Wait , I checked ... they still do ... a Three Pound Flint Nodule , grey flint from England , for knapping flints , is $37.50 and in stock !
Gary

Ohio Rusty
08-14-2023, 01:27 PM
A fellow on another muzzleloader list I am on made a white noviculite gun flint and said the sparks were incredible in his flintlock. I wanted to see if I could get the same result. Yes ... that stone is for whet stones.
Ohio Rusty ><>

waksupi
08-14-2023, 03:26 PM
If it's anything like the Burlington chert used for flints, it will eat your frizzen.

Ohio Rusty
08-14-2023, 05:34 PM
Burlington flint/chert is awesome for firesteels for making fire !!! Sparks like the 4th of July.
Ohio Rusty ><>

gwpercle
08-15-2023, 12:27 PM
I'm in Louisiana ... very little stone anything ... and I'm not sending you my Arkansas Sharpening stones ... I'm still sharpening knives with them .
I had never heard of Novaculite making sparks and using it for gun flints , let us know how this turns out .
Gary

quilbilly
08-15-2023, 01:20 PM
You should put out another request to the assembled multitude on this site to ask if there are any rockhounds among us who have the ability to cut some 3/8" to 1/2" small slabs or agate or jasper rejects to spare. Same for flint or chert. I don't have a rock saw but have tested some of my finds in my flintlock. Obsidian makes great sparks but is too brittle for more than one shot for instance. One of these days I intend to try common opal for sparks since it flakes beautifully but may be similar to obsidian for usefulness.

fixit
08-15-2023, 09:41 PM
Put feelers out for broken Arkansas stones, most fragments should be big enough to knap out something of reasonable size.

Gtrubicon
08-15-2023, 10:02 PM
I’m in the tile/ granite business for almost 30 years. I have lots of Diamond cutting equipment. I just don’t have the material for flints. I would gladly try cutting flints if someone would ship the material they wanted to try.

waksupi
08-16-2023, 11:52 AM
Anyone remember the banned member who was peddling Arkansas sharpening stones, that turned out to be just a piece of broke rock?

swamp
08-17-2023, 10:25 PM
Anyone remember the banned member who was peddling Arkansas sharpening stones, that turned out to be just a piece of broke rock?

Yes, I do. Not good for anything.
swamp

ulav8r
08-17-2023, 10:36 PM
https://www.cudighigeology.arkansas.gov/minerals/industrial/novaculite-silica-stone.html

Tells a little about the stone and it's sources. I am not in that area and do not know if there are any deposits on public land.

45_Colt
08-18-2023, 08:51 AM
Fixed link:

https://www.geology.arkansas.gov/minerals/industrial/novaculite-silica-stone.html

45_Colt

15meter
08-18-2023, 08:57 AM
I thought there were similar stone deposits near Findlay.

Or I may have dreamed it.

15meter
08-18-2023, 09:07 AM
May have dreamed the Findlay part, but apparently the flint part is real.

Flint is Ohio's official gemstone. Don't know if it's useable as gun flints, but it may be as close as your backyard.

https://rockhoundresource.com/ohio-rockhounding-locations-map/

Harter66
08-18-2023, 09:58 AM
I'm apparently on the east edge of the NNE corner of the Oauchita chain ...... literally a new thing to look for in my back yard .

The pictured stone looks a lot like the gold quartz all over Nevada but softer and more porous in appearance...... It doesn't look anything like that AR stone on the counter for knives which is slicker than the adjacent Oregon course/fine stone . Those both look more like generic granite.

legend 550
08-18-2023, 08:38 PM
Burlington flint/chert is awesome for firesteels for making fire !!! Sparks like the 4th of July.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Have you tried Flint Ridge flint from your area. You can go the Nethers farm and quarry your own. https://www.mcrocks.com/ftr10-1/StreeterSeptember2010.html

Rockingkj
08-18-2023, 10:49 PM
Yes, I do. Not good for anything.
swamp

Sound like it was an Indian sex rock. Just another *#\<ing rock.

firefly1957
08-19-2023, 06:58 PM
Agate and some petrified wood can be used as flint.

Bloodman14
08-20-2023, 08:39 AM
What about the 'flint' in Missouri? Is it truly a flint-type stone? Could it be used?