PDA

View Full Version : Is It Kosher?

Three44s
08-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Is it kosher to clean 22 lr brass in a sonic cleaner prior to derimming?

I do not have a rotary drum cleaner or SS chips yet but if it is OK, I would like to do derim some brass in the meantime so long as I am not compromising my derim die or its punch.

Best regards

Three44s

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-12-2023, 10:06 AM
Yes absolutely. You want the brass as clean as possible before derimming. I like to tumble in SS and run in the ultra sonic. I do this process twice. If you dont get enough of the priming compound from under the rim you run the risk of popping through cases when derimming.

MUSTANG
08-12-2023, 06:47 PM
I clean all my 22LR/22WMR/17HMR brass in an ultrasonic and rinse well before Derimming the brass and processing into jackets boolits. Most rimfire cartridges have a Crushed/Powdered glass in the priming mixture in the rim. Do not want that in my highly polished and tight tolerance swaging dies.

As to your Question "Is it Kosher" - No, it is neither Kosher nor Halal.

Three44s
08-13-2023, 12:56 AM
I clean all my 22LR/22WMR/17HMR brass in an ultrasonic and rinse well before Derimming the brass and processing into jackets boolits. Most rimfire cartridges have a Crushed/Powdered glass in the priming mixture in the rim. Do not want that in my highly polished and tight tolerance swaging dies.

As to your Question "Is it Kosher" - No, it is neither Kosher nor Halal.

Thanks for the responses thus far as my concern is/was if an ultrasonic cleaning alone is sufficient to remove the abrasive spent primer residue since I do not have a rotary tumbler yet.

I am aware of some very inexpensive units such as the Harbor Freight but I prefer waiting on a deal on something larger and more substantial....ie buy once ,cry once or build a unit.

Three44s

contender1
08-13-2023, 10:43 AM
"I am aware of some very inexpensive units such as the Harbor Freight but I prefer waiting on a deal on something larger and more substantial....ie buy once ,cry once or build a unit."

You are smart to buy quality over cheap.
I have a friend who has purchased a pair of the Frankford Arsenal wet tumblers. He experienced a minor leaking, so he bought the special wrenches to tighten & remove the caps. He has stripped the cap a little on one so far also.

I lucked into the "Thumbler's Tumber" wet/dry system several years ago. Superb! I now own (4) of them, as well as a bunch of spare parts. (I bought a bunch of them w/o tubs where a guy was building his multi tumbler base assy.) I've managed to get a few others at gun shows etc. I keep (2) of them strictly for wet cleaning, and one for dry. One is a standby for whatever.
They aren't cheap,, but they are excellent.

Alex_4x4
08-14-2023, 01:37 PM
I am not one of those who practice "dancing with a tambourine", i.e. I'm not a perfectionist, so my way of cleaning .22lr looks like this: I make flaps of 40x40 centimeters in size from old cotton fabric (for example, former bed linen).. Then I put two or three handfuls .22lr in the middle of the flap and pick up the edges of the fabric to make something like a “pouch”. Next, this "bag" is "massaged" and the .22lr is cleaned of most of the dirt. Next, I open the "bag", align the .22lr in it and spray liberally with an aerosol of ethyl alcohol. Again I make a “bag” and “massage” its contents. This procedure is enough for me to clear 22lr.

Three44s
08-15-2023, 11:42 PM
Alex 4X4,

Thank you for the advice. At the minimum, I could pre-clean that way. I already have an ultrasonic cleaner though.

Best regards

Three44s

firefly1957
08-21-2023, 08:14 PM
Yes by all means clean the cases Early on I thought I was crushing a pebble or sand when derimming cases turns out that even a fired 22 case may still have a bit of priming!
I anneal before derimming now that also removes any live priming.