PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP Revolver

Uncle Grinch
08-12-2023, 08:58 AM
Having previously owned a Charter Arms 44 Special revolver and a 1917 S&W 45 ACP revolver, I am beginning to feel the need for another in 45 ACP. I think something in a 4 inch or less is what I want. When searching online the Charter Arms seems to be the only budget price one out there. Any experience with these? Or is there another one I should look at?

Tall
08-12-2023, 10:53 AM
Are you limited to new only? If not there are many options that are very superior to anything made by Charter Arms. Look at Gunbroker and Guns International. There are some superb Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers in that caliber.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2023, 11:13 AM
Here's a couple of photos for you. I guess everyone's likes, dislikes, and abilities are different, which is why we share info on the forum. I went through the 1917 revolvers, Colt and Smith, and the only one I ever really liked I still have. It was cut down from a Smith and given an action job and a special front sight. Shoots extremely well, quite reliable. The other is an S&W Mountain Gun for which I'd give exactly the same review, except that being in stainless and having an adjustable rear sight is a big plus. I don't know if they make them any more, or just the more standard 625, but easy to look into. One other thought, depending on what your likes and needs are, you could go with a Uberti 1873 with a .45 ACP cylinder, or even search for a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber. I own such a Uberti, and like it very much (but seldom shoot it) and keep the .45 Colt cylinder in it. Years ago I owned a convertable .45 ACP/.45 Colt Blackhawk, but over the years it escaped from my accumulation.

DG

316905316904 316903

Uncle Grinch
08-12-2023, 11:15 AM
No… not limited to new. Matter of fact, most of my gun purchases are used either online or more so, locally. I also want to keep the cost down below $600, if possible.

Uncle Grinch
08-12-2023, 11:17 AM
Thanks DG. I already have a Ruger BH in 45 Colt/45 ACP, but it has the long barrel (7.5” I think). Really looking for a DA revolver.

The Kid
08-12-2023, 11:37 AM
I once owned a 3” S&W 625-3. It was incredibly accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. For some reason I traded it off and always regretted it.

I redeemed myself about 3 years ago when I bought a 5” 625-2 to replace it. I don’t ever see myself getting rid of this one. It’s very accurate and has a great trigger both double and single action. I got a good deal on it because the previous owner had it drilled and tapped. It was well done and the holes are covered by the rear sight.

Having handled a sampling of the Charter and Taurus offerings I would strongly recommend holding out and saving your money for a S&W.

Nueces
08-12-2023, 11:49 AM
I have a new Charter 45 ACP Pit Bull, as yet unfired, but well handled. I also have several other late model Charters and I see that Charter has much upped their gun making game. Good guns.

The Pit Bull has a neat system for retaining ACP cases in the chambers, which makes moon clips unnecessary (unusable, in fact), yet loading is easy. The rounds are retained even if the revolver is upended with cylinder swung open.

I also had planned a cut down Smith 1917, but much prefer this stainless snubby.

StrawHat
08-12-2023, 09:50 PM
I am not familiar with the Charter Arms revolver. I am very familiar with the S&W ACP revolver. They are the ultimate, in my opinion. The were born just prior to the US getting into WWI and have stayed in the lineup until just recently. To my mind, they are the standard to which others are compared. If someone says the ??? brand is “as good” as S&W, buy the real thing.

Here is an image of a few of my 4” ACP revolvers,

At some point, they have all been carried but I much prefer the fixed sighted revolvers for carry.

The Model 22-4 and the Model 625-6 Mountain Gun are suitable to handle the 45 Super.

Kevin

Barman54
08-12-2023, 10:05 PM
I Bought from a Friend Years ago, a S&W Mdl 25-2, .45 Auto Rim/.45 ACP w/ or W/O MoonClips, was Converted By Clark Custom
It has a Real Short Barrel
Kinda like a .38 Special, but in .45 AR/.45ACP.

Barman54
Out

upr45
08-13-2023, 08:13 AM
I bought a Blackhawk 5.5" convertible .45 a few years ago. Had the 45 colt cylinder in, which i used mild cast loads in. I put the 45acp cylinder in and havent taken it out.
They arent quite a budgetary item now, however the dual cylinder is less $ than 2 complete pistols.

david s
08-13-2023, 10:08 AM
S&W model of 1989 with the 4-inch under lug barrel is worth a look. These have been offered with 3-4- and 5-inch barrels. And the S&W Mountain Guns were offered with the slim 4-inch barrel similar to the 45 Colt Mountain gun in the picture this ones a real find in 45 ACP. https://i.postimg.cc/k4m9pPVy/IMG-1418-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bG3KZM9G)

TNsailorman
08-13-2023, 03:44 PM
I too like the fixed sighted revolvers for defense and close range shooting. This is my close up and personal stopper. A S&W Model 22-4 in .45ACP with a 4 inch barrel. I love it and it will be with until I cross over Jordan.

316955. 316956

georgerkahn
08-13-2023, 04:23 PM
Having previously owned a Charter Arms 44 Special revolver and a 1917 S&W 45 ACP revolver, I am beginning to feel the need for another in 45 ACP. I think something in a 4 inch or less is what I want. When searching online the Charter Arms seems to be the only budget price one out there. Any experience with these? Or is there another one I should look at?

A dear friend passed, and from his widow I purchased what has become my favourite revolver: a Ruger Model 5241 .45 Colt/.45ACP Bearcat Flattop ss 5.5” barrel, Cat # KNV8-455X; which was made in 2012. The photo is a stock one from Ruger -- the revolver I purchased has (imitation) stag grips, and to say it is most pleasing to the eye would be definitely an understatement. The sights enable most accurate shooting. And, it comes with a spare cylinder for shooting .45 Colt. Kind of ironical, as my intent in purchase was for the .45 Colt shooting, but I put in the .45ACP cylinder and it has not come out! 316959 In my neck of the woods .45acp has been "updated" by shooters with other calibres, so .45acp cases are plentiful and inexpensive. The bullets are so easy to cast/lub/size, too.
I -- if looking for a .45acp revolver -- would see no need to look further than this model.
geo

Good Cheer
08-16-2023, 12:09 PM
If what you're after is specifically the spectrum of utility that the Charter Arms revolver supplies then by all means, yeah go for it. I have one in .41 Magnum as my alternative to getting the .45. It is the consummate piece for my particular needs for the tasks intended though the .45 could have served just as well.

Be advised, what I received is precisely to SAMMI tolerances. No slop. Wouldn't be surprised if the same was found to be true with the .45ACP. That would of course be a plus for a rimless case. In the .41 Mag it means you can't load it with fat boolits like you mite for a Ruger.

On a side note, the length of the cylinder is a little less than what you could find from other manufacturers because after all, they're making a small revolver by intent. By example in mine the Lyman #410426 is too long to load like what works for a Ruger, not that it should impact mold choices for a .45ACP.

If you get it and can post results, please do. Would like to hear how it works out.

Expansion tests show the short barrel with a mid range load will do just fine.
Note the reduced diameter of the forward section to function in the Charter's chamber.
https://i.imgur.com/cUGDbnb.jpg

oldhenry
08-16-2023, 03:52 PM
An interesting thread for me as I have two .45 ACP revolvers: they, like the .44 spec. are a well kept secret.

My 1st. was a Ruger 7.5" BH convertible: it shoots more ACPs than .45 Colts & better since DougGuy honed all cylinders to the same size.

The second is a semi-custom that I lucked into via the old Gun List (or was it Shotgun News?). I was looking for a replacement for a S&W 25-5 4" that was stolen when I stumbled into this jewel. It started out life as a 25-2. The original bbl. was replaced with a 4" 1955. It was magna-ported & a separate cylinder/yoke assy. was fitted in .45 Colt. I don't know who did the work, but he was/is an artist. This was in either '89 or '90 & I paid $450.00: a good price then & a steal now.

I have no personal experience with the Charter Arms current offering, but a close buddy has a .44 spec Bull Dog that is a good gun.

Here s a photo of the 25-2 custom.

gwpercle
08-16-2023, 04:42 PM
Taurus made a model 455 for a few years , I bought mine in 2005 .
5 shot , 45 acp , snub nosed , 2" ported barrel , fixed sights , staimless steel .
Think J-frame on steroids in 45 acp .
I own a Colt Gold Cup and AMT Hardballer ... the 455 is the most accurate shooter !
I will never let this baby go ... it shoots groups that like to clover-leaf and hold hands ... it's Spooky .
All the tolerances are spot on , cylinder throats and barrels .451 ...the little bugger is tight , fitted well and smooth . It comes with Taurus stellar clips for loading and ejection and you can fire loose 45 acp shells sans clip , and poke empties out with a pencil .
No longer in production but if you can find one it's a sweet 45 acp belly gun.

Taurus may have made a Tracker with adjustable sights and 4" barrel , but I don't know the model number .
Wait ... it's simply the 455 Tracker , adjustable sights , vent rib barrel , I've seen 4" and 6" length , 5-shot and ported barrels ...not sure of production status .

When I wanted a 45 acp revolver for protection ... the Taurus 455 was the only 5 shot compact revolver on the market . I do not regret buying it one bit ...
It puts bullets right where you aim them ... it's a little Sweetheart !
If you can find one in good condition , jump on it with both feet !
Gary

Ed_Shot
08-16-2023, 04:48 PM
My 5 1/2" Blackhawk 45 LC/45 ACP is a joy to shoot with either cylinder.

stubshaft
08-16-2023, 08:59 PM
I'm partial to my S&W 325PD AirLite.

https://i.imgur.com/gyvauHKm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7J8oFjRm.jpg

StrawHat
08-18-2023, 07:16 AM
Here is one I recently built, a cut down Model 25-2. 4.25” barrel, McGivern bead sight, double action only, with a rounded grip frame. It came to me as a basket case. I think it turned out well.

Before,

It needed a lot of TLC.

After,

It shoots great and while I prefer fixed sights for carrying, it has been carried quite a bit.

Kevin

muskeg13
08-22-2023, 05:42 AM
I bought a Charter Arms .45ACP Pit Bull several years ago, and it's what I carry whenever leaving the house. Although I keep it in a leather holster most of the time, it's small enough to carry in my front pants pocket. I think it's a good CC choice if you want a .45 ACP. As for revolvers, they don't come any smaller or lighter. The down side is it's only 5 shots and has fixed sights, but fixed sights probably are better for CC. It's not intended to be a target pistol. I don't have any problem hitting point of aim with fist sized groups at 10 yards with many loads ranging from 200-250gr. With only a 2 1/2 inch barrel, velocity is less than with a 5" M1911, but you can still get >700fps with standard pressure loads and recoil is manageable. I got this gun because I wanted a modern and more powerful version of the old British Bulldog revolvers, and that's exactly what it is. I made 3 modifications: 1. The front sight was entirely too sharp (sharp enough to cut you), so I took the edge off with a stone. 2. I applied flat black paint to the front sight and top strap to eliminate glare and give me a better sight picture, and 3. Even though the issue rubber grips were ok, I prefer Pachmayr Compac grips, and the S&W J frame spare I installed fits my hand perfectly. I think the Charter Arms 74520 .45ACP Pit Bull is an excellent value for the modest price.

firefly1957
08-22-2023, 11:22 AM
I did not even know Charter arms was making the Pit Bull in .45 acp ! I have a older Bulldog in .44 sp and it is hard to find factory loads in that I trust for self-defense the best I found is Corebon 165 grain . I reload for it so can do well with reloads ,when I bout the gun I got three boxes of Remington Green and white box ammo . Two boxes where 246 grain round nose one box was 246 grain semi wad cutter bullets . Recently I was shooting up some old ammo in the gun and those 246 grain Remington's would barely dent a 55 gallon steel drum from the 3" barrel of the Bulldog . The 246 grain wad cutters where interesting they entered the drum but did not exit but spun around inside the drum until the lead slug was nearly round. The Corebon 165 grain Hollow point blew right through the drum with energy to spare .

I always wanted one of these guns in .45 acp I may have to keep my eye out ..... I do have 4 guns in .45 acp already .

Frank V
08-22-2023, 12:12 PM
Firefly 1957, I think the Charter Arms are under rated for a carry gun.;);)

muskeg13
08-22-2023, 04:46 PM
Loaded for bear, so to speak. 317294

murf205
08-22-2023, 07:16 PM
I have to second the "save up for the S&W" statements. I looked long and hard for a 625-3 5" before I found one I could afford and it was well worth the wait. The 625 Jerry Miculek 45 acp's are a nice gun and the reports of the accuracy is good. The Ruger BlackHawks with the dual cylinders are pretty cool but don't allow 4 auto rim use and they make the 625 a lot more fun. The 45 AR is my favorite round with mild recoil and punch above its weight. Now an "L" frame 5 shot S&W in 45 acp would get me a new gun if they would make one.

firefly1957
08-23-2023, 07:56 AM
Firefly 1957, I think the Charter Arms are under rated for a carry gun.;);)

I know the Bulldog is way under rated as a carry gun part of the problem is lack of good ammo .
I really like how I can have a chamber or two of shot if I am in snake country . I bought mine from a policeman that went to a wonder nine for the extra shots he would not need them from the 44 except with that round nose ammo it is a poor stopper in anything!

Uncle Grinch
08-24-2023, 02:13 PM
Y’all have posted some very nice handguns here. The S&W’s are ultra nice, but I suspect they may be heavier and bigger than what I want. Same for the Ruger BH, which I already have. I had a 1917 45 revolver years ago along with plenty of AR ammo, but it too was big and had the 6 inch barrel. Haven’t seen or tried the Taurus, but will if I get the opportunity. Still looking at the Charter Arms.

StrawHat
08-24-2023, 11:47 PM
This revolver weighs 40 ounces with 6 rounds of hardball.

That is a S&W Model 1917 with the barrel cut to 4” and a gold bead fit into the front sight. A bit lighter than the Model 19 as I recall.

Kevin

rintinglen
08-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Actually, about an ounce heavier heavier, empty. At least, that is the difference between mine and my model 66:wink:

LAGS
08-29-2023, 11:48 AM
I have a S&W 25-2 that someone customized.
It has a 2 1/2" barrel and custom Pachmyer grips.
I shoot it with the .45 ACP rounds with the moon clips.
But I prefer to shoot the .45 Auto Rim.
With the AR rounds I can load them with heavier Boolits but mostly cast Boolits.
But this revolver is really fun and I take it out when I am shooting my 1911's so I only have to bring out one type of ammo.
The pistol looks like an oversized Detective Special.
But being an N frame , it is not very concealable.

StrawHat
09-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Actually, about an ounce heavier heavier, empty. At least, that is the difference between mine and my model 66:wink:

Empty weight is 35 ounces, loaded is 40 ounces as I recall. I have no Model 19 for comparison, just going by memory.

But, I much prefer a boolit that starts at 45 caliber, not one you hope ends up there!

…But being an N frame , it is not very concealable…

My edc,

It conceals fine.

Kevin

LAGS
09-01-2023, 09:02 PM
I will see if I can get a picture of mine posted.

armoredman
09-01-2023, 10:41 PM
As requested. :) The LAGS big bore monster - I happened to be up there today. ;)

https://i.imgur.com/oyWZK7p.jpg

LAGS
09-02-2023, 12:02 PM
I was told that this .45 ACP revolver is a " John Jovino " Customized revolver.
It is a great pistol , but it is not one that I built.

tejano
09-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Had a Jovino. Sure wish I had kept it. :(

armoredman
09-02-2023, 05:58 PM
I was told only 650 of them were made before the shop closed permanently in 2020? Really nice work.

Captain O
09-06-2023, 07:47 PM
From what I understand the newer Charter Arms are far superior to the offerings made a couple of years ago. I, too, have an original 1991 Charter Arms Bulldog chambered for the .44 S&W Special.

I would like to see how the .45 "Pit Bull" seems quite attractive. If the objective is for the revolver to be carried concealed it seems that this might be the best option.

Jtarm
09-15-2023, 07:05 PM
Here is one I recently built, a cut down Model 25-2. 4.25” barrel, McGivern bead sight, double action only, with a rounded grip frame. It came to me as a basket case. I think it turned out well.

Before,

It needed a lot of TLC.

After,

It shoots great and while I prefer fixed sights for carrying, it has been carried quite a bit.

Kevin

I’ve seen ghost ring rear sights, but a front???

armoredman
09-15-2023, 07:26 PM
I got to fire this today. This is a beast, but slick as snot on a doorknob!

https://i.imgur.com/0CdEADO.jpg

StrawHat
09-16-2023, 04:58 AM

Not a ring but a gold bead inlet into a Patridge front sight.

Kevin

murf205
09-16-2023, 09:19 AM
Kevin, is that bead screwed in or glued or pressed or...? My 625-3 has one and it sure helps the sight picture , for me at least. It beats the red ramp on N frame Smiths hands down. In direct sunlight that red ramp vanishes to my worn out eyes.

Jtarm
09-16-2023, 01:01 PM
Not a ring but a gold bead inlet into a Patridge front sight.

Kevin

I know. I was joking about the “before” picture.

I love a partridge/bead front. 1/10”-wide on a barrel under 6”.

StrawHat
09-16-2023, 09:57 PM

I know. I was joking about the “before” picture.

I love a partridge/bead front. 1/10”-wide on a barrel under 6”.

Got it, and now, I can appreciate the humour! Sometimes, the simplest things escape me.

Kevin

murf205
09-17-2023, 02:01 PM
Kevin, How do you attach that gold bead on the front sight?

LAGS
09-17-2023, 02:16 PM
I made brass beads for front sights out of Small round head brass nails.
I cut the shaft off short.
Then drilled the hole into the sight blade.
I inserted the shaft of that nail into the hole and set it down to swedge it out with a concave tip punch.
The shaft on the nail only has to be a tiny bit longer than the hole in the sight is deep.
You also have the options of gluing the bead shaft with crazy glue , or I have seen guys sweat solder the bead into place.
The round head brass nails can be shaped to the size you want by just chucking them in a drill motor and shaping them with a file.

murf205
09-17-2023, 04:24 PM
Thanks Lags, I sure like the sight picture they give. I have a S&W 29-2 that I am sure would be a more accurate gun if it didn't have that red ramp front sight.

LAGS
09-17-2023, 05:07 PM
For target shooting , I prefer the Partridge style front sight.
It in most cases is even better with a brass dot to help you line up quicker.
But most of my revolvers have the ramp site with the colored insert.
Those seem to work better for doing Combat Shooting.

StrawHat
09-17-2023, 08:03 PM
Kevin, How do you attach that gold bead on the front sight?

On the custom Model 25-2, it was a gold round bar sunk into the sight.

Here is a Model 1917.

It was sweated to a notch in the front sight.

Kevin

murf205
09-18-2023, 12:47 PM
For target shooting , I prefer the Partridge style front sight.
It in most cases is even better with a brass dot to help you line up quicker.
But most of my revolvers have the ramp site with the colored insert.
Those seem to work better for doing Combat Shooting.

It might be my eyesight but the red ramp insert appears to loose some brightness over time, especially when exposed to a lot of sunlight.

LAGS
09-18-2023, 01:11 PM
I have the stuff to do the red inserts on the front sights.
There has only a couple that I have seen either fade or got damaged.
Basically.
The plastic used for the inserts is the same chemical and powder that my wife uses for Fake Fingernails.
To bad my wife doesn't do Bright Orange fingernails.
Then I won't have a shortage of material on hand.

david s
09-18-2023, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure I've shown this here before, but I'm also not a fan of S&W's red/orange front site insert. Generally, they get changed to black, but if you want to see the front sight stand out against just about any background hot pink works well, really.
https://i.postimg.cc/ryd2QtHj/IMG-1970.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

LAGS
09-18-2023, 03:29 PM
I did have a guy that wanted the Red sight insert removed.
So I just filed it out.
Then replaced the Red with black epoxy ( JB Weld )
He loved it and was way cheaper then replacing the entire front sight blade.

Texas by God
10-05-2023, 09:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231006/258ee8b01edbbfb6b963abbc6b3ef11a.jpg
My brother in law just got this one today.
I hope that he brings it when they next visit…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk