PDA

View Full Version : Be careful with avocados

Wayne Smith
08-11-2023, 09:00 AM
I now have four stitches in my left index finger - which does make typing a challenge! I was trying to get the seed out of an avocado and the point of the knife slipped off the seed and the knife continued downward into my finger. Sharp knives cut well and deeply. It is a nice clean cut, however, so I expect I will heal quickly.

square butte
08-11-2023, 09:08 AM
As my now deceased Father used to say to me "What'd ya do that for ?" Heal up quick - God Bless

08-11-2023, 09:09 AM
Ouch! The wife takes the butcher's knife and rather than dig out the pit ? seed ?, she slaps the middle of the blade into the pit so that it cuts/buries itself in a little and then twists out the pit. Easy-peasy an less colorful than the red stuff flowing. Be well.

hoodat
08-11-2023, 09:13 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about the Mexican cartels control of the avocado market and such.:roll: jd

45workhorse
08-11-2023, 09:25 AM
I have seen video footage of illegals coming across the border with lumpy packs,maybe...
Heal up and get back on them avocado's!!!!

Recycled bullet
08-11-2023, 09:32 AM
A mushroom knife is the easiest and safest way I have found to remove the avocado seed.

Wayne Smith
08-11-2023, 09:46 AM
The PA that stitched me up said it was one of the most common injuries, so I figured I'd post it here. I've been cutting avocados for over 50 years and this is the first time I've done this.

Good Cheer
08-11-2023, 09:48 AM
Hi Wayne Smith,
Around 1978 I did something similar to myself. Went to the emergency room to get stitched up. The people there asked how it happened and I said that I lost a knife fight with an avocado. They said they'd have to notify the police so at least I got a good chuckle out of the experience. Still got the scar, a pale line all the way across the base of my left thumb.

HWooldridge
08-11-2023, 09:48 AM
Ouch! The wife takes the butcher's knife and rather than dig out the pit ? seed ?, she slaps the middle of the blade into the pit so that it cuts/buries itself in a little and then twists out the pit. Easy-peasy an less colorful than the red stuff flowing. Be well.

^^This^^ works really well and is relatively safe. In fact, I figured it's how everyone did it...

Der Gebirgsjager
08-11-2023, 11:24 AM
A large spoon works well....:shock:

DG

trebor44
08-11-2023, 11:36 AM
Slap the knife blade cutting edge into the seed and twist as other's have noted. OR quit eating avocados (more for me)!

waksupi
08-11-2023, 11:59 AM
I cut them to quarters, then the seed is easy to remove. Don't forget the garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice in the guacamole!

country gent
08-11-2023, 12:08 PM
Now that youve done it and learned there is no reason to do it again

Recycled bullet
08-11-2023, 12:10 PM
The orange handled knife is made by fiskars and I think it is designed for gardening work but I use it for avocados it is perfect I use the hook tip to hook the seed and pull it out. The Spyderco endura is just for scalehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230811/124da62e070a869c37b58be4674b5ad1.jpg

wilecoyote
08-11-2023, 12:51 PM
I now have four stitches in my left index finger - which does make typing a challenge! I was trying to get the seed out of an avocado and the point of the knife slipped off the seed and the knife continued downward into my finger. Sharp knives cut well and deeply. It is a nice clean cut, however, so I expect I will heal quickly.

...next time shoot him first,
then finish him with the knife when it stop moving _

(good healing!:drinks::drinks:)

pworley1
08-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Accidents happen quickly. I hope you heal just as quick.

Froogal
08-11-2023, 01:31 PM
I've never had any trouble getting the pit out of an avocado, basically because I've never tried. Never felt the need to even buy an avocado.

I was given a couple once. Kind of like eating a pare that was a long way from being ripe.

gwpercle
08-11-2023, 01:39 PM
Nope ... it's not the avocado that you have to be careful with ...

Be careful with the Knife .

I have never been cut by the avocado !
Gary

fiberoptik
08-11-2023, 01:59 PM
In similar fashion I was cutting the stem out of a head of cabbage with my Chinese cleaver while holding in opposite hand. Then split it up and began to shred when I noticed that the green cabbage was red. Seemed kinda odd. That’s when I noticed my left thumb was missing close to a third of the tip. Even went through the nail! A strip of skin kept it connected. Rinsing with cold water really was a wake up call. Wrapped it tight, up over head and off to the car I go. Doc at the VA asked if I used a scalpel; said it was the cleanest cut he’d ever seen. It got infected and they were talking partial amputation since antibiotics weren’t doing it. I called a friend that’s a naturopath. She said to smash garlic 🧄 and onions 🧅, wait 5 minutes and put it on as a poultice. I did. Also noticed I had something round & white in the center. I grabbed it with (sterile) hemostats and ripped it out. It healed. Left side still numb. I sharpen well! Speedy recovery [emoji3590]*🩹.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas by God
08-11-2023, 02:18 PM
^^This^^ works really well and is relatively safe. In fact, I figured it's how everyone did it...

This way as well.
Haven’t cut myself (doing that) yet.
(As he knocks on wood…..)

Winger Ed.
08-11-2023, 02:30 PM
Thanks for sharing that.
I've found that it is much less painful to learn from the mistakes of others rather than my own.

Note to self:
'Never bring a knief to an avocado fight'.:bigsmyl2:

Electrod47
08-11-2023, 02:36 PM

Been doin' it that way since 1958...We had 3 houses as a boy and all had avocado tree's. Before chips and dips stuff, we'd slather it on Weber's Bread "with the gingham wrapper" just like Hopalong Cassidy recommended.

Rockingkj
08-11-2023, 03:28 PM
Hmmm, green stuff is not food, food eats green stuff. Just kidding eat all the avacados you want. Lol

huntinlever
08-11-2023, 04:33 PM

Yep, that's the way to do it. Sorry that happened OP, heal quickly.

huntinlever
08-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Been doin' it that way since 1958...We had 3 houses as a boy and all had avocado tree's. Before chips and dips stuff, we'd slather it on Weber's Bread "with the gingham wrapper" just like Hopalong Cassidy recommended.

Me too. Hundreds, like walnuts everywhere.

Rapier
08-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a bad cut.
Grew up with avocado trees in the yard, FL The secret to seeding is using a big French knife, cut around the center, length wise to the seed, then twist the top off. Hold the avocado half with seed in the off hand palm and then stick the heel of knife bade a bit center of seed, then roll the seed out. Scoop the flesh ou with a large serving spoon, done. No fingers where the knife can bite them.
Kinda like oyster shucking, right you do not get stuck, done wrong and the knife will get you.

huntinlever
08-11-2023, 05:55 PM
Honestly, a light "thwack" to stick the blade, twist, smack the seed off the knife in the garbage, done. Been doing it for 50 years, never needed anything else. Even a cheap steak knife will do it, if you're (justifiably) concerned with using a sharp blade.

Edit: Just did this. Knocked stone off camera. Took a few seconds. Dull, cheap steak knife.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Sx-DkIe6RYE?feature=share

Handloader109
08-11-2023, 06:31 PM
I cut them to quarters, then the seed is easy to remove. Don't forget the garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice in the guacamole!Best advise... or let them get a bit riper and it will fall out....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

john.k
08-11-2023, 10:05 PM
I got a huge avocado tree right on the front fence ....I never eat them ,and am sick of people criticizing me for letting them fall on the ground..........the rats love them though ,and my cat loves to catch the rats ,so some good has come of it.

ulav8r
08-11-2023, 10:12 PM
Never a problem here, neither my wife or I can stand the taste of avacados.

BLAHUT
08-11-2023, 11:17 PM
Some should not be allowed to use sharp objects and yet they sell then guns ?????

poppy42
08-12-2023, 02:45 AM
I cut them to quarters, then the seed is easy to remove. Don't forget the garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice in the guacamole!
No cilantro for me! Taste like soap!!!! Yes I have that gene!

Abert Rim
08-12-2023, 07:29 AM
This right here. I have been using one for years. Game changer.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Avocado-Slicer/dp/B0088LR592/ref=asc_df_B0088LR592/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2286255329355962097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028595&hvtargid=pla-83784541046&psc=1

Wayne Smith
08-12-2023, 09:54 AM
Slap the knife blade cutting edge into the seed and twist as other's have noted. OR quit eating avocados (more for me)!

That was the first thing I tried. Seed split and broke. First for that, too.

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 10:06 AM
That was the first thing I tried. Seed split and broke. First for that, too.

The video I provided shows a dull blade and a light whack is all that's needed.

Daekar
08-12-2023, 11:12 AM

This, this is absolutely the best way that I have found, and it appears to be considerably safer. You can do it with the avocado sitting on a cutting board, too, if you're particularly risk averse.

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 11:17 AM
Glad I made a top-production value simplest possible 3 second video, even if it was apparently off-brand.:mrgreen:

hoodat
08-12-2023, 11:26 AM
I belong to another gun forum where this thread would likely have been shut down thirty posts ago. -- off topic or some such BS

This is just one of the things that I like about THIS forum. :wink: jd

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 11:29 AM
I belong to another gun forum where this thread would likely have been shut down thirty posts ago. -- off topic or some such BS

This is just one of the things that I like about THIS forum. :wink: jd

After the SEAL team 1 extraction of the stone, maybe the stone could be used in a catapult to go squirrel hunting? :mrgreen:

hoodat
08-12-2023, 11:38 AM
I once heard that one of the most common ER cases were the result of folks cutting a bagel in half. jd

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 11:47 AM
I once heard that one of the most common ER cases were the result of folks cutting a bagel in half. jd

I could believe it. Or using the wrong tool for the job. Like trying to take the plastic off the top of a salsa jar with the tip of a fileting knife. Game night with his son. Ask this chef how he knows.

Reasonably, very low on the triage pole, taking hours, yours truly just told the doc to stitch up his hand without anesthesia. The doc demurred, and I got sewn up shortly after. Go figure.:o

farmbif
08-12-2023, 12:03 PM
I was probably about 10 when I learned a hard lesson when using a knife or any cutting instrument, cut my thumb wide open to the bone between the two joints cutting balsa wood to make a model. ever since then I always have sharp cutting edge forcing cutting pressure away from any flesh and bone.

MaryB
08-12-2023, 12:20 PM
In similar fashion I was cutting the stem out of a head of cabbage with my Chinese cleaver while holding in opposite hand. Then split it up and began to shred when I noticed that the green cabbage was red. Seemed kinda odd. That’s when I noticed my left thumb was missing close to a third of the tip. Even went through the nail! A strip of skin kept it connected. Rinsing with cold water really was a wake up call. Wrapped it tight, up over head and off to the car I go. Doc at the VA asked if I used a scalpel; said it was the cleanest cut he’d ever seen. It got infected and they were talking partial amputation since antibiotics weren’t doing it. I called a friend that’s a naturopath. She said to smash garlic 🧄 and onions 🧅, wait 5 minutes and put it on as a poultice. I did. Also noticed I had something round & white in the center. I grabbed it with (sterile) hemostats and ripped it out. It healed. Left side still numb. I sharpen well! Speedy recovery [emoji3590]*🩹.

I had just sharpened my chefs knife, it was 2 months after my car accident and neck injury and I would have random hand spasms. Hand spasmed, dropped knife, it landed cutting edge down across the second knuckle of my left hand. I could see the knuckle moving in the joint... doc asked the same, did I use a scalpel? 13 stitches later to reattach the tendon and close it... I can't even see the scar now, it was such a clean cut!

Yes, I know how to sharpen knives! If I can't drop a tomato on the blade and have it fall in half it is dull!

MaryB
08-12-2023, 12:30 PM
I could believe it. Or using the wrong tool for the job. Like trying to take the plastic off the top of a salsa jar with the tip of a fileting knife. Game night with his son. Ask this chef how he knows.

Reasonably, very low on the triage pole, taking hours, yours truly just told the doc to stitch up his hand without anesthesia. The doc demurred, and I got sewn up shortly after. Go figure.:o

On the list of idiot things to do...

I was trying to cut open a clam shell package that had rock hard plastic, box cutter with brand new blade was struggling so I held the package down towards the floor(and my leg) to get more leverage...

Slip!

STAB!

LOL box cutter blade went in up to the handle... I cleaned it up, used some good antibiotic cream on it, tossed 2 stitches in it myself(I was an EMT at one point...) and went back to trying to open that dang package! Ended up using a sawzall on it... dunno what that plastic was but it was tough stuff, worse than cutting carbon fiber!

Wayne Smith
08-12-2023, 01:42 PM
This right here. I have been using one for years. Game changer.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Avocado-Slicer/dp/B0088LR592/ref=asc_df_B0088LR592/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2286255329355962097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028595&hvtargid=pla-83784541046&psc=1

Thanks, it will be here tomorrow.

firefly1957
08-12-2023, 06:00 PM
I have little use for the avocado never bought one do not plan to buy one.

Texas by God
08-12-2023, 08:49 PM
MaryB, I feel your pain- literally.
I was frozen cold on the barge drilling rig, trying to cut a 1-1/2” overhead mud pump hose with my 3” blade pocket knife…
I got it cut by golly- the downward final stroke severed the hose and stuck the knife in my thigh about an inch deep.
I just froze looking at it and the roustabout next to me screamed (really!)
The medic dressed it up and I had laundry duty for a couple of days.

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 09:26 PM
On the list of idiot things to do...

I was trying to cut open a clam shell package that had rock hard plastic, box cutter with brand new blade was struggling so I held the package down towards the floor(and my leg) to get more leverage...

Slip!

STAB!

LOL box cutter blade went in up to the handle... I cleaned it up, used some good antibiotic cream on it, tossed 2 stitches in it myself(I was an EMT at one point...) and went back to trying to open that dang package! Ended up using a sawzall on it... dunno what that plastic was but it was tough stuff, worse than cutting carbon fiber!

Oh man, Mary, sounds like you have seen your fill. I like your can-do fix it spirit - stitch it up and get back to it. Respects!

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 09:29 PM
I was frozen cold on the barge drilling rig, trying to cut a 1-1/2” overhead mud pump hose with my 3” blade pocket knife…
I got it cut by golly- the downward final stroke severed the hose and stuck the knife in my thigh about an inch deep.

At least that can't be ascribed to pure Darwin Award stuff. Nasty wound! Shot myself with my brother's crossbow, dragged a rope between the bed and cab of my dad's old one-ton and watched it bounce off the drive shaft until....it didn't, and I snapped every bone in my left arm, almost lost it clean off, sandblasted a hole in my thigh waiting for the dust to settle to see (nozzle right at my leg)....

My wife says I have a guardian angel. I say, they're just laughing waiting to see what's next.

huntinlever
08-12-2023, 09:34 PM

At least that can't be ascribed to pure Darwin Award stuff. Nasty wound! Shot myself with my brother's crossbow, dragged a rope between the bed and cab of my dad's old one-ton and watched it bounce off the drive shaft until....it didn't, and I snapped every bone in my left arm, almost lost it clean off, sandblasted a hole in my thigh waiting for the dust to settle to see (nozzle right at my leg)....

My wife says I have a guardian angel. I say, they're just laughing waiting to see what's next.

Edit: Oh, forgot. My dad was a WWII-era pilot. As a kid I thought you could build a "fixed-wing hangglider" out of 2 x 4's and a stretched sheet. Built it, got inside the thing and jumped off the roof. Nothing like an "ultralight" crashing to earth with your shoulders holding it all. Yep, completely Darwin winner.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 02:59 PM
AVOCADO 101

Here it is--a real beauty. This one is from Peru, and has been sitting in the window to soften up. Went from rock hard to just right in 4 days.

317091 317092

We begin the cut at the top right and continue all the way around to the top left. Now, we're done with the knife.

We grab the two halves of the avocado and twist slightly which causes it to separate into halves.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 03:05 PM

Without risking cuts to fingers, hands, forearms, we scoop out the pit using a large serving spoon.

Again using the spoon, we scoop out the fruit from the peel.

Ready to use.

WILCO
08-16-2023, 03:12 PM
The PA that stitched me up said it was one of the most common injuries, so I figured I'd post it here. I've been cutting avocados for over 50 years and this is the first time I've done this.

There's always a first time!
Heal up fast Wayne.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 03:13 PM

All fingers present.

A 3-egg cheese omelet is being prepared. It contains diced sweet onion, Mexican-style shredded 4-cheese blend, a few chipolte pepper flakes. There is a little butter in the pan which will give it a nice crust and color when finished.

Avocado and tomato await their use as topping.

WILCO
08-16-2023, 03:14 PM
AVOCADO 101

We grab the two halves of the avocado and twist slightly which causes it to separate into halves.

Great tutorial!!!!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 03:17 PM

Sliced and topped.

A generous amount of La Victoria Salsa Brava tops it off. The glorious destiny of this avocado has been achieved!

DG

missionary5155
08-16-2023, 03:18 PM
That is pretty much how my wife field strips an avocado. Slice it all around the poles and spoon out the green goo.
Peru does have great avocados. Personally I leave them as far alone as I can.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 03:22 PM
And...HEY! Let's be careful out there.......

DG

Electrod47
08-16-2023, 03:22 PM

All fingers present.

A 3-egg cheese omelet is being prepared. It contains diced sweet onion, Mexican-style shredded 4-cheese blend, a few chipolte pepper flakes. There is a little butter in the pan which will give it a nice crust and color when finished.

Avocado and tomato await their use as topping.

Just add some Bacon on the side with some pinto beans seasoned with gariic and more bacon grease and a couple "good" flour tortilla's and I'm ready for my execution sir'

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2023, 03:41 PM
Well, truthfully, I tried them as a kid and really disliked their smooth, slick texture. That stayed with me until I was age 26 and was stationed in East Los Angeles for 3 years. Remember the line from "The Wild Bunch" where Robert Ryan asks one of his gutter trash deputies, "What's in Agua Verde?" The answer (funny) was, "Why, Mexicans....what else." Well, East L.A. is very heavily populated by our Hispanic brethren and the Mexican food is just to die for. Even the lowly taco stands on some of the street corners serve Mexican food that is superior to some expensive restaurants in other cities. That's where I became acquainted with guacamole, and in trying other dishes realized how truly wonderful a gift from God avocado truly is. If you read up on it a bit you'll find that it is very good for you, somewhat in the fish oil category for heart health.

Where I live now, near the north end of Klamath County in Oregon, the major route through this part of the country is Hwy. 97. If you start down at Mexico and trace your way up I-5 to Weed you'll find that is where Hwy. 97 originates at it's southern end, so the produce trucks travel that route from Mexico and right through our nearest largish small town of La Pine. All of the produce in the La Pine markets is from Mexico or points south. The avocados are present in abundance year around, usually of large size like shown in the first photo, and varying in price from 2 to 4 for $5. If you want to use it tomorrow pick one that's a bit soft. Otherwise, hard as a rock is fine-- but they'll only keep in the fridge for a week or so and then will go bad, sometimes without having softened. Asparagus, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, on and on-- all great stuff. Come by and I'll fix you an omelet. :-D

DG

gwpercle
08-17-2023, 11:17 AM

So how many people ended up seeking medical attention before Wonder Bread came out with the first wide spread commercially available Sliced Bread in 1930 ?
Folks must have been slicing themselves up left and right , slicing bread ...it's a Wonder our ancestors had any fingers left on their hands from self inflicted bread slicing cuts ... and don't forget the unsliced bagel that must inflict thousands of injuries ... yes the cutting injuries must be stopped !

Did you "hear" this "Fact" on the internet ? ...I thought so :2_high5:
Gary

Wayne Smith
08-17-2023, 01:32 PM
An ER doc told me that the mandolin is the most dangerous instrument in the kitchen. Not only that, but the injuries it inflicts are harder to heal because it takes a slice of flesh completely off, not just a cut.

Amazing what we learn when we listen to experts. BTW, he's a friend of mine in Church, not someone who has worked on me. He's actually a USN ER MD, and I've never been in the Navy.

huntinlever
08-17-2023, 01:44 PM
An ER doc told me that the mandolin is the most dangerous instrument in the kitchen. Not only that, but the injuries it inflicts are harder to heal because it takes a slice of flesh completely off, not just a cut.

Amazing what we learn when we listen to experts. BTW, he's a friend of mine in Church, not someone who has worked on me. He's actually a USN ER MD, and I've never been in the Navy.

I cringe whenever I see people doing the mandoline improperly, even more than watching them slice with their thumb forward and not tucked back, with the blade against their four finger knuckles as is proper. It's OK to start the mandoline with fingers curled over the potato, whatever, but PALM, with hand slightly arc'ed back, is the proper way to finish using the mandoline. I've been using one for over 50 years, and never once sliced, though i go very quickly.

waksupi
08-18-2023, 12:02 PM

If you think they are dangerous in the kitchen, you should hear me play one around a campfire!