PDA

View Full Version : Frankford arsenal universal micrometer die set review

adanymous
08-10-2023, 01:15 AM
Quick review if your thinking of buying it. Im working on a ridiculous 300AAC project just for fun and at the same time working on a 300WinMag load for a moose hunt. I needed 2 micrometer dies for what I was trying to accomplish but cant find one for the AAC and saw the Frankford universal kit for the super cheap price of $79 or $89. Thought maybe I could use it for both.

Lots of people have lots of good things to say about some of Frankfords products. IMO this is not one of those products. I got huge variability in COAL in my rockchucker using both cast and solid copper bullets. I change COAL by .003 per test load and measure COAL using the RCBS precision mic. I frequently had COAL differences 2 or 3 test loads off. Thats up to .009 difference on the high side from the setting on the die.

The increments on the die are not accurate in the least. A .001 adjustment on the die may yield a .003 or .004 or even no change on the measured COAL.

Hope this saves yall some $$

lotech
08-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Quick review if your thinking of buying it. Im working on a ridiculous 300AAC project just for fun and at the same time working on a 300WinMag load for a moose hunt. I needed 2 micrometer dies for what I was trying to accomplish but cant find one for the AAC and saw the Frankford universal kit for the super cheap price of $79 or $89. Thought maybe I could use it for both.

Lots of people have lots of good things to say about some of Frankfords products. IMO this is not one of those products. I got huge variability in COAL in my rockchucker using both cast and solid copper bullets. I change COAL by .003 per test load and measure COAL using the RCBS precision mic. I frequently had COAL differences 2 or 3 test loads off. Thats up to .009 difference on the high side from the setting on the die.

The increments on the die are not accurate in the least. A .001 adjustment on the die may yield a .003 or .004 or even no change on the measured COAL.

Hope this saves yall some $$

You have to be very careful buying any of that Midway-branded stuff. Some of it's fine, some of it may not be. If you have any doubt, spend a little more and get something better. Their cheap tumblers are good, they'll last fifteen or twenty years before they need to be junked. I bought one set of tools, junk to begin with and they were returned. Spent twice as much and bought Brownells; much, much better.

adanymous
08-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Honestly I expected it to be kindof junk. The reviews were reasonably good, so I gave it a go. I got what I expected. On the upside, I do think it will make an excellent catfishing sinker!

jmorris
08-11-2023, 07:57 AM
I wouldn’t throw it away until after you get the equipment to measure off the ogive vs OAL. Just to make sure you are not throwing away a good product.

ioon44
08-11-2023, 08:25 AM
Frankford's products, I had a 6" electronic dial caliper, it never would zero and the battery was always dead when I went to use it.

I stay away from any Frankford's products, lots of better choices out there.

M-Tecs
08-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the review. Have you checked any for runout?

bedbugbilly
08-11-2023, 05:56 PM
Can't speak for the die or calipers, but I have two FA tumblers, Two FA trickles, two FA hand primers as well as several other small things I can't remember right now - and all have been very good products and have been used a lot.