PDA

View Full Version : Growing old disgracefully

braddock
08-08-2023, 05:56 AM
Today, despite cancer, heart disease, motor accidents and stupidity, I reached 79 years of age, wow!
For those who know they ain't gonna make it, it's not everything it's cracked up to be, for those others who will good luck to you all.
I don't know what it is but my joints are all 79 but my eyes are still 16, I mean every good looking woman gets my xray vision. I just wish I could see my targets as clearly.
I don't know what the rest of you old guys think but often I wonder what would have happened if I chosen alternatives to the decisions I've made in my time. I've no regrets, I have 3 kids and I love them equally several wives and partners and I loved them too.
But I also got a win 94 in 30/30 and I want it buried with me!

Well, just saying.

square butte
08-08-2023, 07:08 AM
I think about the same stuff - Just keep put'n one foot in front of the other. God Bless

WILCO
08-08-2023, 08:17 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Braddock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elk hunter
08-08-2023, 09:44 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have many more.

As the old saying goes "growing old ain't for sissies" and it's "no bowl of cherries". Some have said that these are the "golden years". No. They're the metallic years " silver in our hair" that is if you have any, "gold in our mouths" and "lead in our butts". I remind myself that if you wake up in the morning the day is off to a good start.

FISH4BUGS
08-08-2023, 09:56 AM
Happy birthday to you. Every day is important.
I am also looking at end of life stuff only because none of us have a choice in the matter.
Cataract surgery scheduled early next year.
Pinched nerve in T4.
Sore joints.
But my systems (heart, lungs, kidneys, digestive, etc.) are all strong and healthy....it's just the supporting systems that are falling apart.
Getting the property into a trust so the kids can have an inheritance.
Getting the guns inventoried and paperwork done so my son can get them (he can't wait for me to croak :) ). He can't wait to get his hands on the NFA stuff.
My late mother made it to 96 so I hope I have some time left.
At 75, I look at other guys my age that were rode hard and put away wet, and i don't think I am doing so bad.

John Guedry
08-08-2023, 10:51 AM
I agree with everything that's said. I'm one of the fortunate few to have had few health issues. Cataracts fixed last year. Disconnected bicep last year also fixed. Missed last hunting season. Good to go this coming season. Was 80 last month. Have been truly blessed.

braddock
08-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Heavens above, good to read the responses, I'm well past the age both my parents reached before dying, my elder brother is in his 80s now and still working up near Seattle he suffers the same heart condition as me, so, perhaps, this AF is under control.
I love that analogy of metal years, in my case the lead is in my legs.
I keep discovering that only one thing doesn't get harder as you age :-(.

lightman
08-08-2023, 11:19 AM
Happy Birthday!

MrWolf
08-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Happy birthday. My gf and I are both in a bit of pain today from weather, etc. Both have bad backs, neck, and even had almost the exact same L4-5 surgery two months apart. Tried nerve burnings and such but oh well. Like you I thought would indo anything different. Nope. I've had a good life so far (63), two great kids, divorced but met a phenomenal woman. Pain sucks but beats the alternative. Just wish I could travel more than a out two hours so I could see me kids more. Oh well. Enjoy your day. You earned it.
Ron

Handloader109
08-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Happy Birthday! And I hope you have many more.

Hondolane
08-08-2023, 11:43 AM
Happy Birthday and a toast to those that fell too early!

Txcowboy52
08-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Happy birthday braddock !! 🍺 Wishing you many more!

MaryB
08-08-2023, 12:32 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have many more.

As the old saying goes "growing old ain't for sissies" and it's "no bowl of cherries". Some have said that these are the "golden years". No. They're the metallic years " silver in our hair" that is if you have any, "gold in our mouths" and "lead in our butts". I remind myself that if you wake up in the morning the day is off to a good start.

You left out the titanium in our joints LOL I have enough metal in me to set off airport scanners... and the one at the local social security office where the guard rolls his eyes and waves you in because many of the old people do it.

MaryB
08-08-2023, 12:33 PM
Happy birthday. My gf and I are both in a bit of pain today from weather, etc. Both have bad backs, neck, and even had almost the exact same L4-5 surgery two months apart. Tried nerve burnings and such but oh well. Like you I thought would indo anything different. Nope. I've had a good life so far (63), two great kids, divorced but met a phenomenal woman. Pain sucks but beats the alternative. Just wish I could travel more than a out two hours so I could see me kids more. Oh well. Enjoy your day. You earned it.
Ron

Pain is a reminder we are still alive!

Winger Ed.
08-08-2023, 12:54 PM
I don't know what the rest of you old guys think but often I wonder what would have happened if I chosen alternatives to the decisions I've made in my time. I've no regrets,

I sometimes wonder about that too.
I've concluded that there are a few things I'd have done differently, but I ain't got no big apologies to be handing around either.

Happy birthday, and I hope you can confidently keep buying green bananas for a long time to come.

schutzen-jager
08-08-2023, 12:57 PM
77 myself - fwiw if i thought that i'd make it this far i would have taken better care of myself -

live fast - die young - leave a good looking corpse - majority achieve at least one of the three -

Rapier
08-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Happy 79th.
Just returned from the vampires, 11 vials of juice. You can always tell how good you are doing by the # of vials they draw. Like the # of pills, better living, or maybe still living, through chemistry.
Hope you have a good internist. They are gold at or near 80.;-)

Electrod47
08-08-2023, 01:55 PM
GeeeeZ......We are all geezers here.

littlejack
08-08-2023, 02:23 PM
Happy Birthday Braddock. Congratulations. May your future be blessed with smooth roads, and your suspension be adequate.
Wow, I must be one of the young'uns here. I'll be 74 in November. Never really thought of myself as being old, just older. There is a difference. Lots of things I don't do anymore. Lots of things I can't do any more. I feel guilty watching the young ones in the family do what I used to be able to do. Used to do a brake job on my vehicles with both legs folded under neath my butt. I used to be able to put both my legs behind my head. Now I'm lucky if I can get my legs to bend past 90°. Oh, did I mention every joint in my body? I will be very blessed if my Lord takes me in my sleep.

dogrunner
08-08-2023, 02:29 PM
I am 82 plus, and yeah we are too soon old and too late wise.................my eye's still work too....tho they've had internals replaced........hey, beats hell out of the alternative......sides, I am still 17...in my mind!

deces
08-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Don't just use your x-ray vision, talk to them. The squeaky wheel get the grease.

bedbugbilly
08-08-2023, 08:00 PM
Happy Birthday! I think square butte pretty well summed it up for a lot of us.

Sincerely hope you had a good day and celebrated in fine style!

ebb
08-09-2023, 12:33 PM
If you love the Win 94 you will start grooming a youngster to leave it to. Its just going to rust in your box.

Kraschenbirn
08-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Perhaps a little tardy but a Happy Birthday to the OP. I've been married to the same woman for 54 years and we're hangin' on with as much grace as we can muster. On the other hand, my old college girlfriend (who 'dear-johnned' me while is was in 'Nam) has outlived two husbands and will be moving in with her current 'boyfriend' (she's 75 and he's 82) when her condo lease runs out on the first of October. Go figure...

Bill

Half Dog
08-09-2023, 02:51 PM
It’s hard for me to find anything positive about living past a certain age. But I’m wishing you the best.

braddock
08-09-2023, 04:15 PM
ebb, my kids ain't interested in guns, besides the old gun is virtually worthless in the UK.

Pipefitter
08-09-2023, 04:39 PM
77 myself - fwiw if i thought that i'd make it this far i would have taken better care of myself -

live fast - die young - leave a good looking corpse - majority achieve at least one of the three -

If anyone would have asked me at 18yo, if I thought I would still be alive at 61, I would have laughed in their face.....

Thin Man
08-12-2023, 07:40 AM
You did well to grow old. The only thing worse than growing old is - NOT growing old. Enjoy your day.

GONRA
08-12-2023, 05:38 PM
Mr. & Mrs GONRA are "86-ish" (married 59 years) and
everyday we "wake up" is a blessing....