PDA

View Full Version : When did you fall in love with the SKS?

WILCO
08-07-2023, 07:32 PM
For me, it was back in the early 90's.

Have always regretted selling off my first one.
I was young with a family.
Sold to pay bills.:groner:

Finster101
08-07-2023, 07:40 PM
To each his own. Never cared for them. Not trying to start a fight, just my opinion.

Remiel
08-07-2023, 07:42 PM
When I first shot it,

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

WILCO
08-07-2023, 07:43 PM
When I first shot it,

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Great answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Gibson
08-07-2023, 07:47 PM
I have a very nice Russian SKS that I do like. However, I never "fell in love" with them having been on the wrong end of them.....respect them a great deal though.....

As for a 7.62x39 semi-auto I do prefer the SKS over any AKM47 [AKMs have stamped receivers]. The all machined steel original AK47s are another story.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-07-2023, 08:09 PM
I always thought them to be a rather ugly rifle. But, if you have a good one, they do shoot well and I have 3 or 4 of them. The 10 round stripper clips are kind of ungainly. The workmanship, but not necessarily the functionality, of the SKS rifles made in various countries is uneven, with the Russian no doubt being the best and the Chinese the crudest. Like Larry, I would much prefer an SKS to an AK, so while I still own several SKS rifles I have AK rifles no longer. The SKS can make a decent sporter if you are "into" them, but since it's pretty much a wash between the .30-30 Win. and the 7.62x39mm, I'll go with the '94 Win., a better handler and pointer.

316746 316747 316748

DG

405grain
08-07-2023, 08:55 PM
I have a type 56 SKS that was gifted to me by my younger brother. He bought it at a Big 5 back in the early 90's for around $80 and said that it didn't shoot worth a darned. He added that he thinks that he'd shot corrosive ammo through it and never cleaned it, so the barrel was toast. Back when I got it replacement SKS parts were cheap and plentiful so putting on a new barrel wouldn't be that big of an issue. He gave me a sack full of boxes of ammo with the rifle. He told me that they were the corrosive ammo he'd been using.

When I got the rifle home I realized that the boxes of ammo were Wolf steel cased, which isn't corrosive. When I cleaned the rifle I realized that there was nothing wrong with it, it had just NEVER been cleaned before. Once I had the barrel clean it was mirror bright. Then I stripped down the action, and even disassembled the bolt. I cleaned everything. While I had it apart I inspected the trigger group (some trigger groups can have a negative rake on the sear mechanism, so I checked to make sure that this one didn't) As I was putting the rifle back together I noticed that the front sight was pushed over about 3/16" off center, so I ordered a sight pusher. The first time I took it to the range I noticed that it was printing way over to the right. It took a little adjustment on the front sight, but after a few rounds I got it to shoot point of aim. To my surprise that little SKS would shoot 2.5" groups! This was unheard of: SKS's and AK's are supposed to be inaccurate. I guess nobody told this particular rifle. My brother thought that this rifle was a piece of junk. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-07-2023, 09:17 PM
2-2 1/2 " groups are the norm for a friend's Russian SKS at 100 yards. Many of the SKS barrels were chrome plated to resist corrosion.

DG

GhostHawk
08-07-2023, 09:23 PM
I'm with Remiel, first time I shot mine I fell and fell hard.

45workhorse
08-07-2023, 09:27 PM
When my brother and I bought two SKS and 1,500 rounds for $300.00!

Kestrel4k
08-07-2023, 09:28 PM
Ever since Klinton "banned" them, lol.

beemer
08-07-2023, 09:29 PM
I have had as many as 4 off and on since the mid 90's until recently, I sold my last one and the ammo and bought a Palmetto AR-15 carbine. Part of it was down sizing. I have been thinning out the calibers also. I have played with them a good bit but my real interest lies elsewhere.

I think they are rugged dependable hard service rifles but slow to load compared to other semi-auto's and cheesy strippers. I know several guys that have good success deer hunting in the brush around here. Occasionally one will be reasonably accurate but most are not.

My Dad had a couple and worried me to death trying to find a good way to put a scope on one. The only one that was stable was one with a factory side mount and he couldn't find a decent scope to fit it. He finally gave up and bought a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle much to my relief.

Prices have gone through roof as most mul-surps have but if I am going to give that much for a old military rifle I will spend it on a good #4 Enfield.

dverna
08-07-2023, 09:31 PM
With dozens of rifles in my collection, there was never a place for one. They did not excite me.

Feel the same way about the AK’s.

There was no niche either fit. There are better rifles to hunt with, and IMO, the AR is a better defensive weapon for my needs.

Texas by God
08-07-2023, 11:49 PM
I like them very well, and I once had a Russian and a couple of Chinese(one threaded, one pinned).
The pinned barrel Norinco was weirdly the most accurate of the three.
I hate the sights and the short length of pull.
Other than that, they rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
08-08-2023, 12:41 AM
2-2 1/2 " groups are the norm for a friend's Russian SKS at 100 yards. Many of the SKS barrels were chrome plated to resist corrosion.

DG

I've always found the SKS to be more accurate than the AK's. The 2" to 2 1/2" 5 shot groups with surplus ammo is common for SKS's in my experience. I've never bothered to reload for that caliber. When I run out of cheap ammo I will.

TD1886
08-08-2023, 01:03 AM
I always thought them to be a rather ugly rifle. But, if you have a good one, they do shoot well and I have 3 or 4 of them. The 10 round stripper clips are kind of ungainly. The workmanship, but not necessarily the functionality, of the SKS rifles made in various countries is uneven, with the Russian no doubt being the best and the Chinese the crudest. Like Larry, I would much prefer an SKS to an AK, so while I still own several SKS rifles I have AK rifles no longer. The SKS can make a decent sporter if you are "into" them, but since it's pretty much a wash between the .30-30 Win. and the 7.72x39mm, I'll go with the '94 Win., a better handler and pointer.

316746 316747 316748

DG

Personally I wouldn't rank the Russian the best, in my book that goes to the Yugoslav ones. Then there are East German ones, have you ever seen one of those??

TD1886
08-08-2023, 01:06 AM
My Yugo SKS scoped with do 4 inches at 312 yards with the LEE 155 cast bullet. It's a dedicated scope mount and I took off all the junk like the grenade launcher and bayonet. The rifle is tuned.

I'd take an SKS any day over and M1 Carbine. Better rifle and better round.

bimus
08-08-2023, 01:36 AM
There are many rifles out there that if you loose or don't have a magazine you have a single shot rifle with the SKS stripper or just rounds in your pocket no problem .

405grain
08-08-2023, 07:31 AM
A lot of people comment on how difficult it it to load an SKS with a stripper clip. Because stripper clips aren't as common as detachable box magazines most people don't know how to use them. If you just install a stripper clip and try to press down on the column of ammo you're going to struggle. If you do it right it's usually pretty easy to load an SKS with a stripper clip. Here's a video showing how to use a stripper clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nLyv8Xe1zQ

Wag
08-08-2023, 07:40 AM
I enjoy mine a great deal but love? Eh. Probably more in love with other rifles in my "arsenal."

--Wag--

charlie b
08-08-2023, 08:39 AM
Never did. After I shot one I never wanted another. I did have an AK clone for a while (Norinco). It was ok. Also a 2 to 2-1/2" shooter. Some days I wish I still had that one. I liked the cartridge for a semi-auto.

If I got another black rifle it would probably be an AR in something other than 5.56.

Daekar
08-08-2023, 09:09 AM
The first gun I ever bought was an m59/66 Yugoslavian SKS. I didn't have a clue what I was buying, but I knew that it was solid steel with a wood stock and felt like quality compared to a lot of what was on the shelf. All these years and thousands of dollars later, that gun is still in my safe, albeit with a few changes that may or may not have made it "better." The most important thing about it, though, never changed, and that is the simplicity, solid construction, and ease of field stripping. Every AR and AK I have ever held feels like a toy in comparison, a modern and soulless attempt to upgrade the SKS that came with too many unacceptable compromises. In many ways, despite the fact that I have been blessed to own and use many many different guns, that gun is still the ideal standard by which I measure a good user experience (except the trigger, lol).

Please don't think that I am trying to make the gun out to be more than it is. I almost never shoot it and have no plans to purchase reloading equipment for it. It's not accurate enough to be interesting to me in a non-combat scenario, compared to my favored single-shots it's incredibly long and heavy, and the sight radius is poor when you're used to peep sights. But darn, there is something very, very appealing about a semi-auto which is built out of solid steel and wood in a sensible cartridge that has a simple and reliable design.

My SKS is the last centerfire semi-auto rifle in the safe, and might always be so. That being the case, I often wonder if I should buy a peep sight for it... But I'll be honest, if there comes a day when I feel like I'm likely to actually need the SKS in the future, I'm probably just going to drop the cash to get something more modern that can accept a suppressor.

MUSTANG
08-08-2023, 09:21 AM
Ever since Klinton "banned" them, lol.

+1. I have one with the folding bayonet in the back of the Safe. Excellent looker; bought for $79.00 if I remember correctly. Never shot it as it was bought as a "What If" rifle when 7.62x39 was coming in by the Boat Loads and Ship Convoys from Russia. Chrome Barrel.

The "You Can't Have One" sales pitch seems to work sometimes on me as during the same period I also bought a Colt AR-15 A2 Heavy Barrel for the wife to shoot. Only AR we have (Do have a couple of AR Anderson Receivers I bought on the Cheap-Cheap-Cheap about 10 years ago.).

A side note - Local Sporting Goods store sells "Used Rifles" at times in a display case. They had an SKS in it a few months ago (wood stock - no mods - no bayonet); not as nice as mine but they were asking $1,200.00. WOW!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-08-2023, 10:15 AM

Yugos are good rifles, fine for soldiers and collectors, but with too much "stuff" on the end of the barrel for ordinary use. It should be noted that they do not have chrome lined bores. Some claim them to be the most accurate of the assortment made by various countries. Not much practical use for grenade launchers and bayonets during deer season.

DG

TD1886
08-08-2023, 11:19 AM

Yugos are good rifles, fine for soldiers and collectors, but with too much "stuff" on the end of the barrel for ordinary use. It should be noted that they do not have chrome lined bores. Some claim them to be the most accurate of the assortment made by various countries. Not much practical use for grenade launchers and bayonets during deer season.

DG

You do know they made a version without all the "junk" on it right? As far as the chromed bore while Yugoslav was a com-bloc country, and being they had no chromium, Russia woudn't give them any because they used it for their own use. With that we don't need no stinkin chrome bore. Too many people fall into the pit that if the original rifle had this or had that, or had the kitchen sink, that they have to have that on their rifle. The fact is there's not a whole hell of a lot corrosive ammo around anymore. Look as how long back it was discontinued. Personally I don't want a chrome bore. How many professional benchrest shooters use a rifle with a chrome bore?

Like I said I took all that "junk" off my Yugo and it's a great shooter. I'm not in a war and I don't neet a grenade launching device nor do I need a folding bayonet either.

TD1886
08-08-2023, 11:27 AM
A lot of people comment on how difficult it it to load an SKS with a stripper clip. Because stripper clips aren't as common as detachable box magazines most people don't know how to use them. If you just install a stripper clip and try to press down on the column of ammo you're going to struggle. If you do it right it's usually pretty easy to load an SKS with a stripper clip. Here's a video showing how to use a stripper clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nLyv8Xe1zQ

A lot of stripper clips are rough mainly because they are new. New Garand enbloc clips work better if you put them in a tumbler or vibrator because it polishes some of the roughness out of them.

He has a good tip there because useing the stripper the other way binds the rims. His trick you are putting the pressure solely on the rim. Part of the problem with the SKS stripper clip is that it's long. Lot of cartridges to have to shove into the magazine. It didn't take the Rooskie's long to figure out their next rifle should have a removable magazine.

Baltimoreed
08-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Never.

Winger Ed.
08-08-2023, 01:06 PM
I never warmed up to them, or the cartridge they eat.
Whenever I thought about getting one, I'd just go out and love on my Springfield M1A some more.

Awhile back, I got a supper throw down, cut throat deal on a mid 70s manufactured, unfired, Colt SP1-- rat gun.
It's OK, I never really warmed up to the AR platform either.

TD1886
08-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Whenever I thought about getting one, I'd just go out and love on my Springfield M1A some more.

Awhile back, I got a supper throw down, cut throat deal on a mid 70s manufactured, unfired, Colt SP1-- rat gun.

The 7.62x39 is a great cartridge. In a way the Rooskies stole it from the German 8mm Kurtz. Russia at that time didn't like anything other then their 30 caliber cartridges. I sure feel the 7.62x39 is a far better round then the 300 Blackout.

Look how long the "rat gun" has lasted as our military rifle and caliber.

Winger Ed.
08-08-2023, 02:17 PM
The 7.62x39 is a great cartridge. In a way the Rooskies stole it from the German 8mm Kurtz. Russia at that time didn't like anything other then their 30 caliber cartridges. I sure feel the 7.62x39 is a far better round then the 300 Blackout.
Look how long the "rat gun" has lasted as our military rifle and caliber.

Oh yeah. They all have a niche.
The 7.62x 39 sort of reminds me of basically a FMJ .30-30. Which is fine, but if it hasn't really pushed much else off the shelf in over all appeal.

My issue with rat guns is they're a overly complex for what a rifle needs to do- feed, eject, etc,
and the 5.56 isn't even powerful enough for big game hunting in a lot of places.

The .300BO seems like a fun cartridge for small game and target shooting, especially with cast.
But for serious killing--- opps,, ahh,, I should have said 'harvesting', I'd want something with a bit more horse power

TD1886
08-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah. They all have a niche.
The 7.62x 39 sort of reminds me of basically a FMJ .30-30. Which is fine, but if it hasn't really pushed much else off the shelf in over all appeal.

My issue with rat guns is they're a overly complex for what a rifle needs to do- feed, eject, etc,
and the 5.56 isn't even powerful enough for big game hunting in a lot of places.

The .300BO seems like a fun cartridge for small game and target shooting, especially with cast.
But for serious killing--- opps,, ahh,, I should have said 'harvesting', I'd want something with a bit more horse power

Actually for a gas operated firearm the AR15 and 10's are far less complicated because they are direct gas impingement whereas a piston driver one requre more parts and problems. In fact the AR's are so non complicated that regular people can assemble them at home, so I don't know where you have come up with what you said.

From my understanding the soft point hunting bullets for the 7.62x39 put it into the 30-30 bracket for hunting game.

As to the statement on the 223/5.56 isn't powerful enough apparently you don't watch the TV shows on the Eskimos and all the animals they harvest like deer, caribou, seals, and polar bears with that caliber.

deces
08-08-2023, 04:02 PM

Just think of them as a mini M1A type rifle with a monopod.

Texas by God
08-08-2023, 06:29 PM
“ My SKS jammed”
A statement never heard……

ShooterAZ
08-08-2023, 06:52 PM
I've owned three SKS's over the years. I must not have loved them all that much because I no longer own any of them. They make for a good survival gun or a truck gun though. When the really cheap surplus ammo went away, so did the SKS's.

deces
08-08-2023, 07:06 PM
https://youtu.be/Vi_QF5Jtuug

Adam Helmer
08-08-2023, 07:21 PM
On payday in 1994 I went to my LGS and my friend was unpacking NEW Norinco SKS arms. They cost $85.00 each and NO sales tax as it was NH. All arms had a sling, cleaning kit, chest pouch and oiler. I bought 5 each. I still have 4.

Before my SKS purchase, I had my DCM circa 1965 Inland M1 Carbine that cost $17.50 plus $2.50 postage. The SKS ensures no coyote outruns the 10 round mag here on my farm!

I was issued a Matel 16 by Uncle Sam in July 1965. I did not like the AR then and do not own one today; the SKS is a better farm gun. A 125 grain projectile beats a 55 or 60 grain wannabe every time on my farm.

No SKS is $85.00 today. I was on the crest of the wave back in 1994. I have not worn out any of my SKSs, I leave that to my 4 grandsons to finish. Do I love the SKS? Well, yes and what is not to love? I never liked the .223 cartridge, but the 7.62X39MM is fine for me.

Adam

Winger Ed.
08-08-2023, 08:12 PM
As to the statement on the 223/5.56 isn't powerful enough apparently you don't watch the TV shows on the Eskimos and all the animals they harvest like deer, caribou, seals, and polar bears with that caliber.

I try not to watch TV shows about people having more fun than myself. They're depressing.
I was thinking of where a few states won't let them in over the minimum of what you can hunt with in their state.

45workhorse
08-08-2023, 08:17 PM
With bayonet attached, you don't need a tree to lean it against! Stick it in the ground!

TD1886
08-08-2023, 08:30 PM
How would any of you like to have an SKS in 8x33 Kurtz?

Winger Ed.
08-08-2023, 09:07 PM

It'd put a lot of stress on the .300 black out fans.

Tall
08-08-2023, 09:17 PM
For me, it was back in the early 90's.

Have always regretted selling off my first one.
I was young with a family.
Sold to pay bills.:groner:
I bought mine in 1987. It was brand new and came with a bandolier and 1000 rounds of ammo for $79. I sold it recently at a local gun show for $550. I had 300 rounds of ammo left. I last shot it in 1989 so it was not missed at all.

TD1886
08-08-2023, 10:46 PM
It'd put a lot of stress on the .300 black out fans.

Well I built one. I cut down LEE 8x57 dies for the reloading process. Pretty neat round.

Lloyd Smale
08-09-2023, 04:50 AM
i was never a big fan. had a couple but they didnt stay in the safe very long. do still have one AK but it was given to me by the son of a good friend that died. never reloaded for it. its the gun i take to camp and blast steal case ammo when i dont feel like picking up brass. if i need something more accurate i haul out an AR

haak48
08-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Well I built one. I cut down LEE 8x57 dies for the reloading process. Pretty neat round.

Sounds interesting! Pictures please! Regards, JH

Larry Gibson
08-09-2023, 09:41 AM
“ My SKS jammed”
A statement never heard……

Not exactly correct. I've seen plenty of them jam. Overseas where they are used and abused by "troops" and also the company I contracted with had over 200 SKS [and 500+ AKs along with numerous other weapons] in inventory for use with blanks and live fire training of Marines and Soldiers. Numerous jams occurred during use with both blanks and milsup 7.62x39 ammunition.

WILCO
08-09-2023, 10:28 AM
Not exactly correct. I've seen plenty of them jam. Overseas where they are used and abused by "troops" and also the company I contracted with had over 200 SKS [and 500+ AKs along with numerous other weapons] in inventory for use with blanks and live fire training of Marines and Soldiers. Numerous jams occurred during use with both blanks and milsup 7.62x39 ammunition.

Thanks for the information Larry.
I didn't know that.

405grain
08-09-2023, 12:42 PM
One of the drawbacks to the SKS is that it doesn't have a firing pin spring. If a SKS bolt were really gummed up with crud, dried up oil, or rust, it's possible for the firing pin tip not to retract. When that happens it can cause a slam fire. If that firing pin is really stuck bad it can "repeat slam fire" sending a few rounds down range full auto style. I keep my gun clean and well maintained but whenever I let the bolt run forward on a fresh magazine I keep a firm grip in the stock forearm and (as always) make darned sure that the muzzle's facing toward the dirt. I have seen that they make a firing pin spring kit for the SKS, but the reviews on this say that sometimes it can cause more problems than it solves. In my opinion you'd have to horribly abuse or neglect a SKS to get it to the point where you'd get a stuck firing pin. Keep the gun clean & maintained and it should run like a champ.

As for the 7.62x39 cartridge, I've got two Mauser bolt actions in this caliber as well as the SKS. The 7.62x39 has lots of accuracy potential, and a couple of benchrest cartridges have been based on it. As a cast bullet cartridge it's hard to beat; it works with a wide variety of cast bullet weights and designs. It sends these bullets down range at optimal cast bullet velocities, and works well with a wide range of powders. Most folks think of the 7.62x39 as a military cartridge, but as a cast bullet cartridge it's one of the best.

TD1886
08-09-2023, 12:59 PM
One of the drawbacks to the SKS is that it doesn't have a firing pin spring. If a SKS bolt were really gummed up with crud, dried up oil, or rust, it's possible for the firing pin tip not to retract. When that happens it can cause a slam fire. If that firing pin is really stuck bad it can "repeat slam fire" sending a few rounds down range full auto style. I keep my gun clean and well maintained but whenever I let the bolt run forward on a fresh magazine I keep a firm grip in the stock forearm and (as always) make darned sure that the muzzle's facing toward the dirt. I have seen that they make a firing pin spring kit for the SKS, but the reviews on this say that sometimes it can cause more problems than it solves. In my opinion you'd have to horribly abuse or neglect a SKS to get it to the point where you'd get a stuck firing pin. Keep the gun clean & maintained and it should run like a champ.

As for the 7.62x39 cartridge, I've got two Mauser bolt actions in this caliber as well as the SKS. The 7.62x39 has lots of accuracy potential, and a couple of benchrest cartridges have been based on it. As a cast bullet cartridge it's hard to beat; it works with a wide variety of cast bullet weights and designs. It sends these bullets down range at optimal cast bullet velocities, and works well with a wide range of powders. Most folks think of the 7.62x39 as a military cartridge, but as a cast bullet cartridge it's one of the best.

The SKS uses a triangular firing pin body and I think it would be pretty hard to gum it up. I've shot a lot of cast from my SKS and you know how dirty shooting lubed cast bullets can be and never had a problem of fouling in the firing pin. As you pointed out the firing pin doesn't have a spring so one should be careful with that kind of system. Worse thing to do is put a cartridge in the chamber and let the bolt slam shut. That would be the scenario most likely to cause a slam fire. The worse rifle I've seen for a free floating firing and slam firings is the French MAS 49/56. I can't post because of legal issue what simple little thing turns that weapon into full auto.

Texas by God
08-09-2023, 04:52 PM

“A statement Almost never heard.”[emoji16]

deces
08-09-2023, 09:59 PM
There was a few SKS that were imported by Norinco in 5.56mm just before clinton the molester put the death nail on chinese SKS imports.

Jack Stanley
08-10-2023, 07:51 AM
I've had a couple of them and never felt love for them . Groups with them were never what my surplus Garands would group .

They are easy to field strip and clean and they were cheap to feed .... back then . I didn't want to have yet another rifle to feed and care for .

Jack

one-eyed fat man
08-10-2023, 08:23 AM
The first time I ran onto the SKS I was on the wrong end. They weren't much after I got them from their former owners. Canister is a wonderful solution to pesky infantry at close range.

Eddie1971
08-10-2023, 04:45 PM
I have 3, an early Soviet Tula, made in 1950 with a non chrome bore. I also have a late Tula made in 1956 at the end of the production with a chrome bore. Lastly I have a Yugo M59/66 with the launcher. All interesting pieces and fun to shoot!

groovy mike
08-10-2023, 10:25 PM
When I bought my first SKS for $60 and a case of ammo at 10 cents per cartridge then killed a nice white tail with it. What's not to LOVE!

jimb16
08-12-2023, 09:11 PM
When did I fall in love with the SKS? Sorry to say, I never did. I've had a couple over the years, but they are long gone. They just didn't "do it" for me.

rbuck351
08-14-2023, 12:29 PM
I have Chineese sks. Not because I love it but because it was cheap. When I first got it, it wouldn't keep all it rounds in a 2 foot circle at 50 yds with factory ammo. The crown looked like it had been cut with a rusty spoon. After cutting about 1/4" from the muzzle and recrowning, it shoots cast about 3" at 100yds. I still don't love it but it at least it will work for defense gun under 150 yds.

dale2242
08-14-2023, 06:30 PM
I haven`t yet.

Maven
08-15-2023, 12:53 PM
In the 1990's (when I had my FFL), I purchased a new, "in the grease" Type 56 SKS (Norinco) from Navy Arms. With the then new C.E. Harris designed CB cut by Veral Smith (LBT), it was quite accurate. Alas, I later sold it to help finance a new bike (the kind you pedal). Several years ago, I got another Type 56 (not Norinco), which was unfired. With another C.E Harris designed CB heavier, i.e., ~162gr.) this time cut by Al Nelson (NOE) and sized to .3155" to fit the new bore, it is repeatably accurate, but by no means a bench gun. I'm going to try to attach 2 pics to this post: One of the ~162gr. Harris CB (the CB on the right) and one of a recent 50 yd. target (again, the one on the right). It is a very reliable rifle that's easy to maintain and doesn't lead either the gas piston or the bore.

TD1886
08-15-2023, 01:31 PM
In the 1990's (when I had my FFL), I purchased a new, "in the grease" Type 56 SKS (Norinco) from Navy Arms. With the then new C.E. Harris designed CB cut by Veral Smith (LBT), it was quite accurate. Alas, I later sold it to help finance a new bike (the kind you pedal). Several years ago, I got another Type 56 (not Norinco), which was unfired. With another C.E Harris designed CB heavier, i.e., ~162gr.) this time cut by Al Nelson (NOE) and sized to .3155" to fit the new bore, it is repeatably accurate, but by no means a bench gun. I'm going to try to attach 2 pics to this post: One of the ~162gr. Harris CB (the CB on the right) and one of a recent 50 yd. target (again, the one on the right). It is a very reliable rifle that's easy to maintain and doesn't lead either the gas piston or the bore.

That's very good shooting Maven. I use the 155 grain bullet. Maybe I should try the heavier one huh?

imashooter2
08-15-2023, 01:59 PM
Bought one for 7 cent ammo that I didn’t need to reload. That was love. Then some idiot chambers a handgun for it and the 7 cent ammo is gone overnight. Now it is a somewhat less than elegant knock around rifle that doesn’t do anything that something else I own doesn’t do better. It comes out of the safe every couple of years. We have fun and then back into the safe she goes.

M-Tecs
08-15-2023, 05:44 PM
Bought one for 7 cent ammo that I didn’t need to reload. That was love. Then some idiot chambers a handgun for it and the 7 cent ammo is gone overnight. Now it is a somewhat less than elegant knock around rifle that doesn’t do anything that something else I own doesn’t do better. It comes out of the safe every couple of years. We have fun and then back into the safe she goes.

That sums it up nicely for me too.........

Maven
08-15-2023, 07:16 PM
TD1886, Thanks, TD. The other CB in the photo is a Lee 8mm 175gr. Mau. bullet sized to .3155" to fit the aforementioned SKS. It is a tack driver as well, but resizing is hard on the die and the operator (LOL) so I don't recommend it or do it regularly.

TD1886
08-15-2023, 08:40 PM
TD1886, Thanks, TD. The other CB in the photo is a Lee 8mm 175gr. Mau. bullet sized to .3155" to fit the aforementioned SKS. It is a tack driver as well, but resizing is hard on the die and the operator (LOL) so I don't recommend it or do it regularly.

Yes I know what you mean on that sizing. I've also shot the 311284 and 314299 out of my SKS. I was surprised how well they shot.

Maven
08-16-2023, 12:06 PM
I've used Ly. #314299 in the Norinco SKS as well: You're right TD, it shot almost as well as the Harris CB.

Speedo66
09-07-2023, 08:15 AM
At the time I bought my new Norinco for about $100, there were no new semi auto center fires anywhere near that price range, let alone a real battle rifle. Ammo at $2 per box of 20 was also a deal.

I don’t know know if I love it, but I certainly like it a lot for what it is.

jimlj
09-16-2023, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't call it love, but my fondness started in the late 80's. I personally like them better than the AK and the AR. Based on the fact you couldn't buy a gun rag for several years that didn't have an AR on the cover I'm in the minority. To each his own.

wch
09-17-2023, 06:07 AM
I never loved it but I can tell you precisely when I learned to hate that piece of Chinese junk.

ebb
09-21-2023, 02:26 PM
The day I sold it for $350.

M-Tecs
09-21-2023, 02:34 PM
The day I sold it for $350.

That's the best answer yet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-21-2023, 04:40 PM
I enjoy mine a great deal but love? Eh. Probably more in love with other rifles in my "arsenal."

--Wag--

I'm in the same boat...or should I say "Was in the same boat."
I don't currently own one, but have had many throughout the 90s.
My SIL currently has the only Russian I owned, that one was pretty sweet, but it was still an SKS.
Honestly IMHO, the best functioning/shooting examples, were the older Chinese ones with machined trigger groups.

Oh, I had 2 or 3 of the AK variants...Now those were JUNK. One of them was bought from a small town Pawnshop run by a friend of mine. He said, if I bought a case of x39 ammo (1100rds) for $100, he'd throw in the AK for free.

kungfustyle
09-21-2023, 05:43 PM
My Brother and I both bought one in the 90's. Mine will shoot as good as I can. Put Tech-sights on it and we are good to go. 921 compliant with the Tapco stock, mag, floor plate and other US upgrades it's a cool little gun. My Brother just passed away and now I have a stock SKS and my compliant SKS. I can't sell either. I fell in like when I shot under an inch with cast boolits, but fell in love when it felt like my brother was shooting with me.

deces
09-22-2023, 01:03 AM
My Brother and I both bought one in the 90's. Mine will shoot as good as I can. Put Tech-sights on it and we are good to go. 921 compliant with the Tapco stock, mag, floor plate and other US upgrades it's a cool little gun. My Brother just passed away and now I have a stock SKS and my compliant SKS. I can't sell either. I fell in like when I shot under an inch with cast boolits, but fell in love when it felt like my brother was shooting with me.

I believe 922 R compliance is for importers only, I'm sure someday it may become common law. But as far as I know, this is not the case.

Bloodman14
09-22-2023, 01:18 PM
Section 922R comes into play the moment you swap out any part for another. Having thoroughly 'Tapco'd' mine, I learned just how dumb 922R is.

schutzen-jager
09-22-2023, 02:44 PM
[ love ] - has not ever happened to me, even when they were selling for $59.95 -

WILCO
10-29-2023, 10:06 PM
[ love ] - has not ever happened to me, even when they were selling for $59.95 -

Wish I seen them at that price. :)

hoodat
10-29-2023, 11:41 PM
About the time Obomba got elected, I snagged a few of them and began to appreciate them for what they are. I joined Survivors SKS Forum and pretty much lived there for quite awhile. I've done about everything you can do to modify one Norinco, including a pretty slick scope mount that fastens (drill and tap) to the receiver, and still allows disassembly.

I had two nice Russian refurbs, and just gave one of them to my best bud. I guess I've still got three of em. I reload for them, and cast bullets also. Got plenty of the old Yugo, and Russian Tula ammo, and prolly enough brass to load a thousand or so.

The last time I popped in over at the Survivor Forum it was a ghost town. jd

deces
10-30-2023, 12:52 AM
About the time Obomba got elected, I snagged a few of them and began to appreciate them for what they are. I joined Survivors SKS Forum and pretty much lived there for quite awhile. I've done about everything you can do to modify one Norinco, including a pretty slick scope mount that fastens (drill and tap) to the receiver, and still allows disassembly.

I had two nice Russian refurbs, and just gave one of them to my best bud. I guess I've still got three of em. I reload for them, and cast bullets also. Got plenty of the old Yugo, and Russian Tula ammo, and prolly enough brass to load a thousand or so.

Everyone got banned.

WILCO
10-30-2023, 07:05 PM

I just checked it out.
There's some signs of life.

hoodat
10-30-2023, 10:35 PM
I just checked it out.
There's some signs of life.

Yeah, I checked it out just now. Not like the old days. Do we know each other from over there? jd

WILCO
10-31-2023, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I checked it out just now. Not like the old days. Do we know each other from over there? jd

Nope. Never been there before.

missionary5155
11-01-2023, 02:32 AM
Those old Williams .22 peep sights that mounted with the left side bar make an easy way to have a receiver sight.
Mount it to the left rear of the removable cover as low as possible. If I get a chance I will get one out and photo it.

imashooter2
11-01-2023, 03:38 AM
Williams made an aperture sight to replace the rear sight blade on the SKS. They aren’t as effective as having one close to your eye, but are much better than the blade. Might find one used.