PDA

View Full Version : lee case lube for tumble lube

porthos
08-06-2023, 11:56 AM
anyone ever use lee case lube for tumble lube? and if so how did it work compared to other tumble lubes. i have several tubes and i don't like it for case lube; but, i don't throw away anything .

uscra112
08-06-2023, 05:13 PM
On another thread here, it was reported that Lee case lube is the same wax formula used to lube .22 bullets. If I remember where I'll post it, but right now I don't.

Froogal
08-06-2023, 05:28 PM
I believe that the LEE case lube is nothing more than lanolin. Works good as case lube. Probably NOT so good as bullet lube.

Outpost75
08-06-2023, 05:50 PM
The white Lee case lube is Johnson 700 wax draw. No lanolin in it.

fc60
08-06-2023, 07:11 PM

Greetings,

I tried to "Google" Johnson 700 wax with no success.

Is it discontinued?

If not, would you kindly post a link to where it can be purchased?

Cheers,

Dave

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-06-2023, 09:12 PM
On another thread here, it was reported that Lee case lube is the same wax formula used to lube .22 bullets. If I remember where I'll post it, but right now I don't.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?458977-Do-I-need-to-lube-these-38-Special-WC-boolits

uscra112
08-06-2023, 09:23 PM
I figured McMaster would have it. All I find is something called "vanishing oil".

gwpercle
08-07-2023, 09:57 AM

And the Lee case lube is also used to lubricate soft swaged factory HBWC's (maybe Winchester's ? )
and it's water soluble ... I read your post but couldn't remember where .
The Lee Case lube might work if thinned and used to tumble lube say WC's and you keep the velocity down . Since you have the stuff ... might be worth a test .
Gary

Froogal
08-07-2023, 10:56 AM
And the Lee case lube is also used to lubricate soft swaged factory HBWC's (maybe Winchester's ? )
and it's water soluble ... I read your post but couldn't remember where .
The Lee Case lube might work if thinned and used to tumble lube say WC's and you keep the velocity down . Since you have the stuff ... might be worth a test .
Gary

The LEE case lube IS water soluble. In fact I dilute it 50% with water for resizing cases. When dry, it wipes off easily. I can't imagine it would stay on a bullet long enough to do any good.

porthos
08-07-2023, 07:31 PM
i think that i'll just stay with my present tumble lubes.

nvbirdman
08-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Do you fill your cases with talcum powder instead of gunpowder? Quit using something for something other than it's intended use.

gwpercle
08-09-2023, 08:11 PM
The LEE case lube IS water soluble. In fact I dilute it 50% with water for resizing cases. When dry, it wipes off easily. I can't imagine it would stay on a bullet long enough to do any good.

It's ... It Is , when I posted It's ... I meant it to read It Is Water soluble .
I thin it with rubbing alcohol and apply with a sprayer ... the alcohol just helps it evaporate a little quicker ... but water will do fine also .
I actually like Lee Case Lube , apply with a light spray , let dry and size ... it is the least messy case lube out there .
For hard jobs , reforming or big resizing , it is lacking and STP Oil Treatment may need to be called in ... but regular handgun resizing , I'll use Lee Case Lube every time !
Gary

nseries
08-17-2023, 01:02 AM
Off topic, but still a case lube... RCBS case lube, the old stuff in the white tube. What cuts that. Had some leak out in a box full of plastic ammo boxes. Tried washing it off with dish soap and water without success. Rubbing alcohol may do it, but I haven't tried it. Any ideas???

braddock
08-17-2023, 12:19 PM
Case lub for me is silicon spray I put about 50 cases in a plastic container, 5 second burst of spray jiggle it around for about half a minute and good to go. Really effective and wipes off with a paper towel. I've just done about 40 30/30 and 75 or so 223, makes it so easy.
With the 30/30 with cast bullets, after crimping I have as a spare a really old Lee fl die, bit of spray on a quilted towel, quick wipe and run them through, the die has the decap pin removed and I NEVER have feeding issues.

uscra112
08-17-2023, 02:01 PM
Silicone sprays are all but impossible to get off surfaces, which is why automotive paint shops won't allow them with 200 yards of the premises.

Outpost75
08-17-2023, 02:55 PM
Greetings,

I tried to "Google" Johnson 700 wax with no success.

Is it discontinued?

If not, would you kindly post a link to where it can be purchased?

Cheers,

Dave

Use "wax draw" in your search string. Smallest container is 55-gallon drum.